Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

Seen a few new movies lately: The Drop, The Imitation Game and today I seen Get On Up.

Thoughts on Get On Up: It was quite good, but there seemed a bit of a mixed message throughout. I wasn't sure whether the film was wanting to celebrate James Brown in general, or try and take a deeper look at the man himself behind the pomp and circumstance. The film never really committed to doing either and lacked a real punch because of it. This indecisiveness was carried into the narrative of the story, which started out non-linear; jumping between, back and forth, at different points in his life. Then it seemed to switch to a more straight forward timeline. The breaking of the 4th wall was nice and interesting, obviously was taking a bit of inspiration from House of Cards in recent years. The best moment of this was actually in the scene with Brown beating up on wife number 2. It was different to see the character reacting to the audience in such a dark moment and it would've been better to have seen that done a bit more.

I thought the acting was top notch though. This was the first I'd seen of Chadwick Boseman and I thought he was bloody brilliant. He had Mr. Brown down to an absolute tee and had a real sense of both charisma and fragility. I can see why Marvel has plumped for him as Black Panther in that sense, still think he'll need to massively bulk up though.

• Brohoof 1

Hello Sister, Goodbye Life.

It was pretty cute. The main character was damn cute too. Like man I got such a woman crush on her throughout the movie. Plus she was hella sarcastic. I love that in a character. :nom:

I just watched probably a movie that I will remember forever and that movie is Dead Poets Society.

I've always been very fond of inspirational movies, but Dead Poets Society takes the cake. The story is so good and the dynamics are awesome. I know how it feels when you are forced to go down the career path by your own parents and are not allowed to defy it. It's so stressful. This conflict leads to suicide for Neil Perry, who wanted to be an actor but forced to be a doctor.

This scheme reminds me of the internet's stereotype of Asian, which I hate, a lot.

10/10

I don't hit the theaters much, but the last two movies I saw were excellent, and I highly recommend both.

Gone Girl - Fantastic acting and great suspense. My reaction: "I did NOT see that coming." :o

The Judge - Let's just say I cried. And I NEVER cry to movies unless they are Marley & Me levels of touchy-feely heartwarming tearjerkiness. Just a really great story. I got nothing else.

I'd give them both a solid 9/10.

I don't hit the theaters much, but the last two movies I saw were excellent, and I highly recommend both.

Gone Girl - Fantastic acting and great suspense. My reaction: "I did NOT see that coming." :o

The Judge - Let's just say I cried. And I NEVER cry to movies unless they are Marley & Me levels of touchy-feely heartwarming tearjerkiness. Just a really great story. I got nothing else.

I'd give them both a solid 9/10.

Gone girl was crazy!!! The book is even more messed up then the movie!

I watched All quiet on the western front, of course, I had read the book, which is this film based, firstly. So, I think, that it's one of the best screen adaptation of book, which I've ever seen. Film is very true to the original book. It's obviously, that not every scene, which is in the book could be in the film, because, film would be just too long.

But I can't write, that everything in this film was perfect. For example the scene, when horses dying, in book this scene was described so perfectly, that It was very scary and naturalistic. In the film, the horse was only whining and running in panic, but they wasn't even wounded. Ok, one of them dying, but it isn't scary or even shocking. The next scene, which i didn't like was scene in the trench, when Paul (main character) is in the trench with dying French soldier. In the book, this scene is better shown. 

So, film is good. But I recommend- firstly- book, after- film.

Edited by Dog in the Fog

Transformers: Age of Extinction - Basically 3 hours of explosions where even things that're not to explode do explode. Only thing I took away from this film, is that I'll never be as cool as Optimus Prime riding a robotic fire breathing T. rex with a sword. 

• 2 weeks later...