Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are pony economics superior to human economics

TheMarkz0ne

I think human economics is rigged. Think about it. You have to pay mortgage which is a life time of payments, car payments can get pretty hefty. You need cable,water and heating bills to pay. You need to pay outrageous prices for a college education in America. You need money to eat and stay alive. We also print out to much paper money which kills our currency. I just think human existence is all about work. We spend our lives working rather than living. The we die and most of the time we haven't truly experienced what life had in store for us. The we got the 0.000001% who live for free and control the nearly 8 billion people on Earth. Forget the politicians. We are owned by corporations and off shore banks thus making human existence an oligarchy

I know MLP is fictional and I know it;s cartoon. But life for the ponies seems easy. They use gold as currency and seem to live more then work more. I mean I never see them pay any bills. I guess every pony lives for free

• Brohoof 3

Well, I think it's easier to buy stuff there. You know when Spike gave that gem to the CMC in the pet sitting episode? That small gem bought an industrial sized hairdryer. So, yes  I do believe that pony economics is superior to humans.

/)

I agree, Not only things seem easier to buy (as seen in that episode where Fluttershy gets assertive, you could bargain to even a cherry) but even MONEY seems really easy to get! 

I mean, if a small red Gem like that could buy a that Giant hairdryer, Imagine how Rarity's business works! she's running low on her bills or needs gems for a dress, and then she shrugs, goes outside, uses that Gem tracking spell, and BAM! Instant millionaire.

• Brohoof 1

This post seems to be more like a rant against humanity and how humans suck instead of a fair comparison between the two systems. To put my opinion on the subject, though, I don't think we have anywhere near enough of a view of pony economics to see how well it would run, due to its nature of being a children's cartoon. Things like Rarity being able to find rare gems in the ground could actually devalue those very gems if used too much. Using gold as currency is also not a fool-proof system, as there are SIGNIFICANT negatives to using gold or having a gold standard. It has its benefits, yes, but the costs can very much so outweigh the benefits.

So yeah. We don't have enough details about the pony economy, and what details we do have could actually point to a potentially precarious economy.

• Brohoof 1

The extraordinarily high standard of living in Equestria is only possible through Celestia's very authoritarian social control.

If everyone was not only born with a single, obvious, exceptional talent but a symbol representing that talent was also tattooed on their thigh, you could bet that productivity would increase.

It's not the economic system; it's the political system.  And when you examine the horrible costs of Equestria's well-being, it's not necessarily so good after all.

I agree that we do not have a large enough glimpse of Pony economics in order to make a fair comparison. After all, we don't even know what the cost of living is in Equestria. How do we know that they don't pay mortgages for their property? It seems like their lives are simpler, which may cut down on the cost of living, but do you really want a life without cars, cable, or the Internet?

It's also easier for them to do labor.  They can build houses with magic whereas a human doing so takes weeks of effort and planning.  If houses could be built so easily then they wouldn't be worth so much and we wouldn't need to work so hard to buy them giving us more time to do fun stuff.

So if you think about it, the real problem isn't economics it's MAGIC.  we need to get sum dat

• Brohoof 1

It's also easier for them to do labor. They can build houses with magic whereas a human doing so takes weeks of effort and planning. If houses could be built so easily then they wouldn't be worth so much and we wouldn't need to work so hard to buy them giving us more time to do fun stuff.

So if you think about it, the real problem isn't economics it's MAGIC. we need to get sum dat

That, and horses can travel farther and more easily than humans. We need cars to go to the grocery store that is a mile away. Ponies are physically stronger. Even without magic, manual labor is much easier for ponies than for humans.

Pony economics is a hell of a lot more honest than human economics so for that reason I will say yes pony economics is better. Bits which look to be made of precious metals are rare enough to where they cannot be printed out of thin air like dollars can which makes inflation practically non existent and as far as we know Equestria dosen't have a central bank so no ponzi schemes like "quantitative easing" or "derivatives" and there also seems to be a fair amount of bartering which is good because it puts the power in the hands of the people or ponies in this case to decide on what they agree upon is a fair trade.

• Brohoof 1

From what I can tell, pony economics are very vague and not very streamlined. Gems seem to be worth a lot, and yet can be dug out of the ground. 

However in putting your hoof down, the Ponyville market seems to be all about haggling rather than set prices. Maybe if we get more information about what the money is worth then it would be easier to make a judgement. I guess its a little better as nopony seems to be in poverty. 

• Brohoof 2

I think they are more superior to our economics, everything is easier to buy in the show with gold coins. The coins can buy industrial hair dryers, foods, fruits, basically anything that is worth a lot or worth less. Our economy has a lot of diversity in money, such as (Euros, Yen, USD, etc.) a lot of diversity in our money even if the economy in the US and Europe are pretty low. The Ponyville economy is basically about haggling instead of a market economy when you decide and set prices on anything. Pony economics beats ours.