How come alot of people think Big Mac is shy?

100 beasts kaidou

I see him potrayed as a shy boy all the times in fanfictions(no not clopfics) and one of the most reason fluttermac is popular is because bronies say there both shy. but why Is Big Mac shy? is it because he doesnt talk alot? well maybe thats because he wasnt edcuted enough and isnt smart like the other ponies so he just comes with short lines instead of thinking of a clever one. also if he was shy the Miss Cheerilee situation would have been way more akward then it was, but he was confidence enough to joke about it, so whats up with everypony thinking hes shy?

I don't think he's shy, I just think he is quiet and doesn't really have a lot to say. He just doesn't feel the need to have lengthy conversations with other ponies I guess.

• Brohoof 6

Doesn't Applebloom say that he's shy in Heart's and Hooves Day? Which helped explain why she was hesitant on drugging him with the love potion. 

I dunno, I'll probably have to watch that episode again

• Brohoof 4

Doesn't Applebloom say that he's shy in Heart's and Hooves Day? Which helped explain why she was hesitant on drugging him with the love potion. 

but Super Kami Guru, how can you watch it, you don't have TV

but yes that also makes sense in your explanation.

This is why we need TVVVVVVVVVVVV!!!!

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

I remember her saying that, too. Maybe, like bronies, she mistakes his silent and insular nature as shyness (or in 100 beast kaidou's case, being uneducated(?)).

Also, FlutterMac is cute and all, but CheeriMac is where it's at.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 2

I think it has to do with the fact that people tend to equate quiet with shy. even though they are not related traits, they often go hand in hand when trying to describe a shy character and have become inseparable components as far most people are concerned

surely the fans want that to happen

This is what I hate about most of the fandom, we assume that every single brony has the same opinion, I mean seriously so I am not a real brony if I hate the 20% Phrase? Am I not a real brony because I dont hate Blueblood or Sombra, Am I not a real brony for hating scootalove?

This is what I hate about most of the fandom, we assume that every single brony has the same opinion, I mean seriously so I am not a real brony if I hate the 20% Phrase? Am I not a real brony because I dont hate Blueblood or Sombra, Am I not a real brony for hating scootalove?

that wasn't what i meant, i meant that a large portion of fans would like that

but CheeriMac is more plausible at the moment of course

Cause he never talks, thus isn't outgoing, thus people label that as shy. He's definitely a poster child for an introvert, being a character of few words, but he's not really -shy-. Fluttershy is shy. Mac rarely ever shows timidness or shyness.

• Brohoof 1

He just usually never talks. We could say he is a introvert, who works on the farm and doesn't decide to be timid. It is just how his character is, not too shy though.

(edited)

Am I not a real brony for hating scootalove?

A POX ON YOUR HOUSE.

But seriously, I get what you're saying about everybody assuming things, but that's just human. Psychology and stuff, ya know...

...but seriously, Scootabuse is just wrong.

Edited by CITRUS KING46

(edited)
I mean seriously so I am not a real brony if I hate the 20% Phrase?

Nope, just makes you 20% less cool than the rest of us.

Wiseassery aside, the very question itself begs another question - how is "shyness" really defined? Well, the general qualities associated with it are as follows: wary; quiet or reserved; introverted; timid or skittish; easily embarrassed.

The only ones I really associate with him are being quiet/reserved, introverted, and possibly wary. Wouldn't peg him as easily prone to embarrassment or being spooked, so...it's kind of a complex question, given that there are multiple levels to any personality trait; why use Fluttershy, the shiest pony of the Mane 6, as a definitive benchmark for what constitutes being shy? Just because Big Mac isn't as shy as her doesn't mean he isn't shy at all, just less shy. I consider myself fairly shy, but I'm nowhere near the basket case Fluttershy is...

Short answer, he probably doesn't exactly qualify as "true shy," but one can easily see why some may see him that way.

Edited by Lowline
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

It's because Apple Bloom says "But he's also pretty shy" in Hearts and Hooves day.

But that's the only mention of him being shy.

I think there needs to be a episode that centers on Big Mac or something, we don't know much about him.

Edited by Rappy0

(edited)

Applebloom actually said herself that Big Macintosh is shy and as his sister she knows him quite well so that is plenty of reason for me. Without Applebloom saying that though I would have just thought that Big Mac is the strong silent type which he probably is, it is entirely possible to be both at the same time. And just because he is shy dosen't mean it is nearly to the extent of Fluttershy, all I know is that Big Macintosh is best stallion and would really like to see him have a bit more screen time and a little more of Braeburn and Babs Seed also wouldn't hurt. Being awesome just seems to run in the Apple Family.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 2

Big Mac isn't shy, he's just a hardworking man of a few words.  I believe the media and American culture has had a big influence on the way we think.  I believe that the media has made it a point to link shyness being related to talkativeness.  The two could be related but that doesn't mean it is always an indicator.  

I always thought this was odd because, like others have pointed out, Apple Bloom said he was shy. Really though, we don't have enough context to know whether or not he is shy. I think it's more fair to say he's shy than stupid though. After all, when he was with his sister in the apple orchard in Applebuck Season, he was the one who used the 'fancy math' that Apple Jack didn't care to listen to. 

It's the same way with Octavia, or Derpy or any other background/minor character pony. The fandom explores the personality based on the little context, and some ideas become more popular than others. Now it could be Big Mac is just shy romantically, and that is what Apple Bloom meant, but for the most part people portray him as shy all around. 

And when it comes down to it, there isn't enough context on any of these characters to argue one point over the other. We just don't know, so if you think when Big Mac is at home he's just chatting everypony's ears off, go on ahead. Just because it's a mass opinion doesn't mean it's correct.  

• Brohoof 1

Well due to the fact he doesn't speak much, and because of the fact that Applebloom says that hes shy in Hearts and hooves day.

So I'd assume he is shy I guess, atleast to some extent.

Now it could be Big Mac is just shy romantically, and that is what Apple Bloom meant, but for the most part people portray him as shy all around. 

That is actually a pretty good point, Applebloom never specifically said if he was shy overall or just shy around the mares. There are plenty of people that are confident in nearly every other aspect but are a bit shy when it comes to the opposite sex and I am going to admit this is indeed true in my case. I could understand why that is the case with Big Mac as he seems a bit more introverted and grew up with Applejack and Granny Smith who are two very opinionated mares not afraid to speak their minds.

• Brohoof 2

Also remember the source: Applebloom says he's shy. Which means he's shy relative to Applebloom.

And the CMC in general are some of the most aggressively outgoing fillies in Ponyville. Pretty much the only pony that Applebloom wouldn't describe as shy would be Pinkie Pie. laugh.png

As everyone else has stated, Big Mac isn't shy, he's just introverted and doesn't have much to say. He's the archetypal "strong and silent" character who keeps his thoughts to himself and goes about his life humbly and modestly. People who think he's "shy" seem to be confusing "introverted" with "shy", which seems to have been the case with Applebloom.

This is a good topic.

Okay, so after reading everypony else's posts, I have come to a few conclusions:

Big Macintosh could be shy based on what little evidence we're given. I agree that he could just be the strong silent type, but he also seems to keep to himself, rarely talks, and Apple Bloom stated that he's shy. Granted, Mint and Fhao brought up two different interpretations of that: romantically shy and shy relative to Apple Bloom. I think each of those would be fine explanations. Using Fluttershy as the benchmark for being the shyest character on the show, I'd say that Big Macintosh is not actually shy, but perhaps, as others have stated, just introverted. He might also not be shy in the sense of being nervous around others, but actually that he just likes to keep to himself and not bother anypony else.

(edited)

Apple Bloom said that he's really shy in Hearts and Hooves Day. His trading card also says he's very shy.

He's a stallion of few words, so it's not hard to believe that he doesn't talk much because he is shy. This is in stark contrast to the rest of his family, who are all quite out-going and friendly, even confrontational at times, whereas Big Mac is pretty peaceful.

Edited by Sugar Cube

he was intentionally made the strong silent type

Well there's this to start.

Overall I think, rather than shy, the best word to describe him is modest. He doesn't feel the need to be outspoken about much. He only talks when he needs to. Shy people, on the other hand, are afraid to speak because they're afraid of social rejection and embarrassment.

• Brohoof 1