Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equations and/or LaTeX Support

Nohbdy

(edited)

I feel that the ability to write formulas would prove a useful feature. For those who wish to make mathematical or scientific posts, LaTeX would be a much better alternative to typing out equations in plain text. Even simple things like fractions (which are found commonly throughout the forums) would look much cleaner.

For example:

1/2 becomes post-9109-0-79757100-1368417384.gif

RD92 once asked a question about his math homework. He wrote (verbatim)

22x - 8 x 2x + 16 = 0

This equation becomes:

post-9109-0-13350100-1368417462.gif

Mattlight calculated Twilight's power output. One formula he used, the volume of a cone, was (1/3)pi*r^2*h. He wrote:

(1/3)*Pi*(3.265)^2 * 4.65 = 51.910 m^3

This can instead be written as: 

post-9109-0-57653700-1368419863.gif

His entire post would have been better looking and easier to read if he had used LaTeX as a means of showing his work. 

Simple fractions and exponents don't require a special typeset to create. However, let's say somebody wanted to make some more complex calculations. 

Suppose someone wants to calculate the total distance traveled, across two dimensions, within a certain time interval. Vectors are involved. The equation would be the integral from t=a to t=b of the square root of the square of the horizontal velocity at t plus the square of vertical velocity at t. This can be simply written as:

post-9109-0-48323200-1368419178.gif

Mattlight, from my earlier example, had refrained from using calculus to determine the volume of a solid (which, in this case, can be done by taking points along the solid, estimating f(x) as a curve of best fit, and then determining the volume via disc-method integration). If he had, it would look like:

post-9109-0-44108000-1368419190.gif

That's before we get into things like matrices.

post-9109-0-66379800-1368421799.gif

LaTeX would prove highly useful for users who wish to discuss math or science, and would also be helpful for those who are seeking help with homework. After all, there's a code feature for programmers. While it's possible for users to create the equations through an external editor (as I did), it would be much more convenient to introduce an integrated (no pun intended) equation feature. 

The IP Board software also appears to be able to handle it, though my lack of expertise means that I'm just going by a quick Google search. 

I do acknowledge that this would be a very low-priority feature if it's even considered, but I think it's nevertheless worth bringing up.

EDIT: minor clarifications

Edited by Тwilight Sparkle
  • Brohoof 14

(edited)

I support this suggestion wholeheartedly. Mathematics is one of my passions, and I'm sure there are other people here who are interested in it as well. Having access to LaTeX on MLP Forums would make mathematical discussions more convenient. 

Edited by SCS
  • Brohoof 1

I support it too, I've also had homework problems I couldn't really type correctly on the forums

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Even though I don't really like math, I still think this would be cool.

Edited by Megaeon
  • Brohoof 1

As you have said it looks a whole lot cleaner and more organized than simply typing it out.  I support this idea.  There was obviously a lot of thinking put behind this and there seems to be no reason not to, unless I'm unaware of one.

• Brohoof 1

I'm all for it, I'd be more then happy to be able to ask about homework and stuff here xD.

I see no harm in it, and it could be quite useful! so yeah i support :).

• Brohoof 1

I support this whole-heartily. Something like this could prove useful in creating, not only homework help threads, but also threads dedicated to science and mathematics in general. It would help people who excel in those fields to discuss bigger topics with huge and complicated equations and could lead to some pretty interesting discussions.

• Brohoof 1

I'm so down for this, . Setting it up right now, and will post back here with the results.

Complications arose. Setting LaTeX up on here is much more complicated than it first appeared. Still, I'm working on it. Just might take a little longer than flipping a switch, unfortunately.

• Brohoof 8

I myself wouldn't have much reason to utilize this feature, but I can totally see the appeal for others and fully support LaTex being setup and implemented into the forum's features.  Best of luck setting this up Feld0, and great idea Twilight Sparkle! biggrin.png

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm so down for this, . Setting it up right now, and will post back here with the results.

Complications arose. Setting LaTeX up on here is much more complicated than it first appeared. Still, I'm working on it. Just might take a little longer than flipping a switch, unfortunately.

I have noticed that there is a LaTeX option in the Special BBCode menu - is it now available for use, or is it being tested?

Edited by SCS

I have noticed that there is a LaTeX option in the Special BBCode menu - is it now available for use, or is it being tested?

I did a quick test with \tfrac{1}{2}, \theta, \int, x^{2}, and x. I'm getting a syntax error, so either I'm doing something wrong, or the feature's not done yet. 

[latex]

\tfrac{1}{2}

\theta

\int

x^{2}

x

[/latex]

• Brohoof 1

It's not quite ready. The IPB hook that Twilight Sparkle linked in the OP is having a bad time interacting with TexLive, the system-level software that parses and renders these equations. I've never worked with it before, and it's a hugely complex piece of kit, so figuring out where that error is happening is going to take some time. Sorry. :(

• Brohoof 3

It's not quite ready. The IPB hook that Twilight Sparkle linked in the OP is having a bad time interacting with TexLive, the system-level software that parses and renders these equations. I've never worked with it before, and it's a hugely complex piece of kit, so figuring out where that error is happening is going to take some time. Sorry. sad.png

No worries. I'm looking forward to this feature, but I don't mind waiting however long it will take for it to be implemented. Besides, I assume that it's not a top priority. 

• Brohoof 2

• 7 months later...

bump.

It'd help on-site tutors, that's for sure. Especially math tutors, because of all those equations and things.

Edited by Champion Daring
  • Brohoof 1