Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Now that Twilight is an Alicorn princess and a VIP

Mzukiller

Should she have an archenemy? Like a constant roadblock in her quest for peace or otherwise life? Personally, I've always thought someone like King Sombra could be the perfect Anti. Big tough Evil King vs. The Small smart good princess. That kind of deal. Especially now that Trixie as her rival wouldn't make much sense.

But as you know, he's dead. So in conclusion I just want to ask, should Twi have a villain? Is the series built for a reoccurring evil?

No, I don't want Twilight to have an archenemy. This isn't that type of show. To have a constantly recurring enemy not only reduces the diversity of villains, it also threatens the show's slice-of-life nature. MLP is mostly about the daily lives of ponies, not about epic conflict. The season openings and finales should have different villains to keep things interesting. 

• Brohoof 2

But she already has quite a few archenemies. Not limited to but including Trixie Lulamoon, Sunset Shimmer, Ponyville and Equestria's socioeconomic problems, bias and bigotry, her job and herself.

Really, the show's writers and animators will in due time create more obstacles and antagonist (villains) for Twilight to deal with. But at the core her biggest enemy will always be herself, as it usually is for many protagonists. Being a princess merely further complicates that and brings it up a notch.

• Brohoof 2

Well while there are villains that will stand against her and her rain I don't think Twilight will have an Archenemy. This is MLP not really a super hero show, so I doubt such a thing will happen, its just not how the show is style wise.

There will be other villains of course though.

• Brohoof 1

Why couldn't her arch-nemesis be the small, smart one? Twilight's the VIP Princess who used to be the most powerful (living?) unicorn and who's the lifelong student of the reigning demigoddess and who - along with her friends - wields the most powerful magical artifacts known to Equestria. Also she ascended to demigoddess status herself through sheer force of will. Or something. Let her be the powerhouse and her rival be the clever, resourceful one.

Also, speaking of villains past, Twilight is now their overlord. She's going to have to come to terms with the fact her duties don't just include making her friends happy, but also her (former) enemies. Lightning Dash and Flim & Flam are every bit as much Celestia's little ponies as Rainbow Dash or Pinkie Pie. Twilight's going to have to figure out how to deal with that and it may be as tough a challenge as anything else that's her responsibility.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Why couldn't her arch-nemesis be the small, smart one? Twilight's the VIP Princess who used to be the most powerful (living?) unicorn and who's the lifelong student of the reigning demigoddess and who - along with her friends - wields the most powerful magical artifacts known to Equestria. Also she ascended to demigoddess status herself through sheer force of will. Or something. Let her be the powerhouse and her rival be the clever, resourceful one.

Also, speaking of villains past, Twilight is now their overlord. She's going to have to come to terms with the fact her duties don't just include making her friends happy, but also her (former) enemies. Lightning Dash and Flim & Flam are every bit as much Celestia's little ponies as Rainbow Dash or Pinkie Pie. Twilight's going to have to figure out how to deal with that and it may be as tough a challenge as anything else that's her responsibility.

I know what you're thinking, and its a pretty solid thought. Now that Twilight's a princess, her conflicts don't always have to be hostile. They can be diplomatic as well. In fact, now that Twi is a princess, it could even be safe to say she has now inherited a role of peacekeeping, similar to Henry Kissinger IRL. For example, she could talk to Lightning Dust and Flim and Flam about their respective problems and help them come to a fair solution for everybody.  Case in point: Twilight and her friends are the wielders of the Elements of Harmony, and it is now their job to bring harmony wherever there is discord (See what I did there? wink.png )

Edited by Firebolt Blitz

Why couldn't her arch-nemesis be the small, smart one

Well, my fine feathered friend. The answer is simple: That's not visually appealing.

MLP is mostly about the daily lives of ponies, not about epic conflict.

He says after one of the main characters get's promoted to godlike princess.

Who says, and so what? Twilight becoming a princess doesn't mean that the show has to take on a different direction. An archenemy would only serve to detract from what made the show so popular in the first place. I see absolutely no reason for MLP to focus on this kind of conflict.

• Brohoof 1

Well, my fine feathered friend. The answer is simple: That's not visually appealing.

How is it not appealing? Are Joker,Frollo, Scar, Gaston, Shadow Man, Draco Bad villains because they were around the same levek as the main character If not weaker? I would take a Shining armor Level Villain but with Leadership and charisms over discord or chrysalis
  • Brohoof 1

I see absolutely no reason for MLP to focus on this kind of conflict.

And I see no reason why they shouldn't. The pieces are all there, it sounds like a great time if you ask me. The series is in need of a new villain, and breaking up the status quo of "Only during finales and premieres" is a healthy step forward.

And I see no reason why they shouldn't. The pieces are all there, it sounds like a great time if you ask me. The series is in need of a new villain, and breaking up the status quo of "Only during finales and premieres" is a healthy step forward.

I'm not the one bringing up the idea. You explain it. Sure, the series can and should have a new villain. Sure, the series can and should change. But what is the point of introducing an entire shift in genre, when the show's primary appeal is that it's primarily about the daily lives of ponies? Furthermore, you mentioned "breaking up the status quo." Wouldn't introducing a recurring villain (Twilight's "archenemy," or somebody like King Sombra, as you suggested) only help to create a new status quo? Why not a different, unique villain each time? Please, do explain. 

• Brohoof 2

She's already had to deal with Trixie and Sunset Shimmer!  Hasn't she been through enough already?  Does she really need more enemies?  She's not Batman, for crying out loud.

• Brohoof 1

She's already had to deal with Trixie and Sunset Shimmer!  Hasn't she been through enough already?  Does she really need more enemies?  She's not Batman, for crying out loud.

While we all respect that, its almost a given that in S4 and every season after someone will be out for Twilicorn's crown, or her head. Either way, the Mane Six won't be getting any breaks for a while

(edited)

Nah. She already has plenty of enemies and is fine for what she has already. No character seems to have an ultimate rival, anyway. They come and go.

Edited by Nagisa Misumi