Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Rarity's characterization influence your opinion negatively?

Tenor Clef

What do you think  

231 users have voted

1. 1. what do you think of Rarity

• Awesome pony! love her!
    • She is a great character
    • Yeah she is a good pony
    • Do not care...
    • not a fan
    • Ugh, not that pony
    • Lets discuss a different pony.

Rarity has always been ambitious, self sufficient, and a big dreamer. This being that most of the other Mane ponies who seem to have no need to change their lives and are quite satisfied with what they have.

She's the most progressive of the group. 

As for her greed; she lives on her own, runs her own business, and prefers to make high quality clothes. So all of these together would mean it costs her a good amount of money to keep all that going. To top it off, she's not really greedy seeing as how she doesn't try to cheat her customers.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I find it surprising when people say no one can relate to Rarity. She's an artist, someone who's trying to use her creativity to get a business. She's more of a hardworking pony than people think. 

I suppose it's her attitude. Her vocabulary of 'splendid!' and 'fabulous!' could make people think she's a silly fashionista. Plus, her generosity isn't expressed much. 

I personally think she's best pony. biggrin.png

• Brohoof 1

A few reasons my friends claim to not like her as much as the others.

• She's a Fashion pony...it's not like we don't have enough of those in Equestria.
  • She's way too damn dramatic.
  • She can kind of rub you the wrong way rather easily sometimes.

Don't get me wrong, we all still love her, it's just that she does indeed have her flaws, as all of the ponies in the show do.

I'm a male brony about as different from Rarity as possible... and she's my fave. She is one of the best support characters when she's not the main character, and her own are the most consistently good in the entire series. 

Compare to Fluttershy, who is a meh support, and who literally has the same dilemma in almost every episode she's in.

Or to Applejack, who either is dead boring(almost always), or insane(applebuck) or just a self-righteous jerkass(MMDW, Boast Busters). It's pretty sad that she's the least boring when she's written as unpleasant.

AJ could be booted from the show for all I care. 

She's so annoying and whiny and she never shuts up and is unlikable and stuff, in my opinion.

you just got done calling flutter shy worthless chuckles in the other thread.  if your not trolling your running out of ponies LOL to like.

Are you that rarest of fans who really wants this to be just the twilight show?

you just got done calling flutter shy worthless chuckles in the other thread.  if your not trolling your running out of ponies LOL to like.

Are you that rarest of fans who really wants this to be just the twilight show?

Actually, I'm a fan that just wants The Pinkie Pie Show! laugh.png  Rainbow Dash and Twilight can hang around too if they want but, only if they acknowledge that they're not as good as Pinkie. smile.png

Actually, I'm a fan that just wants The Pinkie Pie Show! img-2015522-1-laugh.png  Rainbow Dash and Twilight can hang around too if they want but, only if they acknowledge that they're not as good as Pinkie. img-2015522-2-smile.png

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn I think that's one of those ideas that sounds awesome on paper.

I'm not saying you couldn't take pinkie pie and drop her on a Warner brothers cartoon and she'd do just fine  (she is LOL one essentially)

but pinkie pie would need a straight man to her goofienes.  who would set pinkie's comedy up the best?

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn I think that's one of those ideas that sounds awesome on paper.

I'm not saying you couldn't take pinkie pie and drop her on a Warner brothers cartoon and she'd do just fine  (she is LOL one essentially)

but pinkie pie would need a straight man to her goofienes.  who would set pinkie's comedy up the best?

Okay, what about The Pinkie Pie and Spike Show? She can play games with him and stuff and accidentally hurt him in every episode with lots slap stick and stuff!!! laugh.png

All the ponies are "too damn something".

Fluttershy is too damn shy (and personality-less).

Twilight is too damn bookish.

Applejack is too damn stubborn.

Rainbow Dash is too damn brash.

Pinkie Pie is too damn crazy (rather, annoying).

So why are people saying she's too dramatic? She's just written poorly and not that often. To me I relate a lot; she deals with issues like feeling under-appreciated/being a perfectionist (Suited for Success) or being torn between two things she loves (Sweet and Elite). Dealing with a character like Rarity is a delicate business; if you aren't careful she becomes incredibly snotty and materialistic, and they treat that like a running gag instead of improving her.

I love her the way she is if they could only make her more like she is at her best instead of going for gags with her worst.

Actually, I'm a fan that just wants The Pinkie Pie Show! img-2015522-1-laugh.png  Rainbow Dash and Twilight can hang around too if they want but, only if they acknowledge that they're not as good as Pinkie. img-2015522-2-smile.png

Interesting.

I would argue Pinkie Pie is the one that never shuts up. She could be good but they treat her like a walking gag and not a characters as well.

Okay, what about The Pinkie Pie and Spike Show? She can play games with him and stuff and accidentally hurt him in every episode with lots slap stick and stuff!!! img-2015588-1-laugh.png

Okay, the problem with that is, PInkie's not cruel enough LOL

secondly let me define a straight man.  someone dry or devoid of humor.

Like pinkie pie and rainbow dash arguing with flutter shy being a tree for example.

Okay, the problem with that is, PInkie's not cruel enough LOL

No, she'd do it by accident. laugh.png

secondly let me define a straight man.  someone dry or devoid of humor.

There were no characters like that in Loony Tunes, though. Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam and shit were all still funny. wacko.png Besides, Spike still isn't as crazy as Pinkie and he'd probably get annoyed of her accidentally abusing him. smile.png

No, she'd do it by accident. img-2015680-1-laugh.png

There were no characters like that in Loony Tunes, though. Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam and shit were all still funny. img-2015680-2-wacko.png Besides, Spike still isn't as crazy as Pinkie and he'd probably get annoyed of her accidentally abusing him. img-2015680-3-smile.png

OH my God, that's awesome.   See G.E.  This is why i put up with you LOL.  I could totally see pinkie hurting people by accident.  and spike to polite to say something at least for a while.

Back on topic, the matter boils down to if people know a lovable drama queen in person, in their family, or other wise or not.

if you don't have one or know one at least from tv your gonna hate her.

At the beginning I didn't like Rarity much. But after a while it started to grow on me and I realized that Hasbro had made an interesting character. Rarity has aspects I love and hate. I think that's one of the reasons why us bronies and pegasisters watch the show. All thr characters have good and bad unlike some other "girl shows" I feel that maybe many misunderstand her

Edited by RainDash Dragon

My problem with Rarity is how she is so greedy, compared to her Element. The others violate their Elements, sure, but they don't do it as much as Rarity. It was really annoying when Rarity manipulates Spike and stabs him, knowing he'll do take it

It was really annoying when Rarity manipulates Spike and stabs him, knowing he'll do take it

True, but you have to balance that with the times she defends him against Rainbow Dash or braves a long journey and a trio of teenage dragons to protect him (Dragon Quest); takes a bite of his terrible pie because she doesn't want to disappoint him (Spike at your Service); comforts him when he feels like he has messed up Ponyville (Secret of my Excess), praises and rewards him for helping her dig up gems and not eating them as he goes (A Dog and Pony Show); etc, etc. Honestly, the times she's done something good for him outnumber the times she has manipulated him. And even when she "manipulated" him into giving up his Fire Ruby, you'll notice she only does that AFTER he reveals the fact that he was going to eat it. It wasn't just her going "Oh, I want that, give it to me," it was more "Oh, I don't want you to eat that beautiful jewel, give it to me".

• Brohoof 2

My problem with Rarity is how she is so greedy, compared to her Element. The others violate their Elements, sure, but they don't do it as much as Rarity. It was really annoying when Rarity manipulates Spike and stabs him, knowing he'll do take it

Well I'm gonna try and argue your case and see where it takes me.  Lets go down the line (Not including being discorded obviously)

when the main cast break their element.

How often does Twilight break (her element is magic and thus friend ship) her element?

My brains not working so fill me in.

How often does apple jack really lie?  Party of one?  And that was for a pretty darn good reason.

How often is rainbow dash disloyal?

How often is flutter shy cruel?  and mind you, her friends pushed her into becoming more assertive.  No one asked rarity to go down her path of being greedy.

How often does pinkie pie spread sadness instead of happiness?  I mean yeah she goes over board,

there's luna eclipsed and bridal gossip,

so the only pony as bad as rarity is i guess Pinkie pie.  Correct me if i'm wrong.

Oh buck GE is gonna read that. 

Edited by FNGRpony
  • Brohoof 1

Well I'm gonna try and argue your case and see where it takes me.  Lets go down the line (Not including being discorded obviously)

when the main cast break their element.

How often does Twilight break (her element is magic and thus friend ship) her element?

My brains not working so fill me in.

How often does apple jack really lie?  Party of one?  And that was for a pretty darn good reason.

How often is rainbow dash disloyal?

How often is flutter shy cruel?  and mind you, her friends pushed her into becoming more assertive.  No one asked rarity to go down her path of being greedy.

How often does pinkie pie spread sadness instead of happiness?  I mean yeah she goes over board,

there's luna eclipsed and bridal gossip,

so the only pony as bad as rarity is i guess Pinkie pie.  Correct me if i'm wrong.

Oh buck GE is gonna read that. 

Who's GE? Are you talking about ghostface?

Who's GE? Are you talking about ghostface?

the poster with the pony with the troll smile.

you know the one who made the abortion thread. The one who said flutter shy was worthless.  the one who said spike was a pet.

the one who wanted to kill of chanters.

your friend and mine. Grumpy Entrances lol. (cause she does evil dances, she'll put you in trances,)

the poster with the pony with the troll smile.

you know the one who made the abortion thread. The one who said flutter shy was worthless.  the one who said spike was a pet.

the one who wanted to kill of chanters.

your friend and mine. Grumpy Entrances lol. (cause she does evil dances, she'll put you in trances,)

Oh, I assume he's a fan of Rarity? 

I like Rarity okay, but I can see the things NOT to like about her.

If I had to pick a reason not to like her is that I felt at first that she knew about Spike's crush on her all along and she took advantage of it by having Spike do a lot of free labor. That and I'm kind of surprised that Rarity hasn't calmly shot Spike down yet. She has to be aware that Spike really does think he has a chance with her. So why not calmly talk to him and tell him that they can't be more than friends? In fact, that could be an interesting moral.

Now granted with Spike being my favorite character the last thing I want him to be is heartbroken. At the same time, this could help mature Spike for the better.

I think that some might not be able to relate to Rarity as easily if at all. I like Rarity and her unique charming character. She might not be that generous but she is a valuable member of the mane team and I enjoy watching her episodes.

• Brohoof 1

It is true that they all have their flaws. It's just that Rarity's are more magnified and easier for the writers to exploit. It's a shame they choose to do that instead of focus on character development. I mean, if I'm not mistaken improving your character is part of what the show is all about.

• Brohoof 3