Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Rarity's characterization influence your opinion negatively?

Tenor Clef

What do you think  

231 users have voted

1. 1. what do you think of Rarity

• Awesome pony! love her!
    • She is a great character
    • Yeah she is a good pony
    • Do not care...
    • not a fan
    • Ugh, not that pony
    • Lets discuss a different pony.

Maybe because she is such a lady. She don't like dirty, noise and wild fun. People who behaviour like Rarity in the real world are usually annoying and boring. But Rarity is a pony and things, which are annoying in people in the real world, in ponies are cool. So, I don't understand, how someone can hate Rarity. She is fabulous. She knows about fashion. She is special. I don't want series without Rarity because she is funny too and pony like her is necessary

Time Rarity is generous of the top of my head. (List will not show every generous moment and will not be in chronological order.) Some of these, Applejack did too, but it does not make Rarity any less generous. Comics are confirmed canon, so they are included.

1. Fixed a stranger's mane and gave her clothes. 
  2. Made dresses for her friends, redid them when they did not like them. Then made the old ones again.
  3. Forgave friends for almost ruining her life. (Forgiveness is generosity)
  4. covered herself in mud to race with Sweetie Belle.
  5. Gave Twilight her umbrella after stating she did not want to get out from under it. 
  6. Was willing to take care of Discord before getting sick.
  7. Rarity takes Manehattan. 
  8. Was willing to give Applejack get what she wants even though it meant Rarity wouldn't get what she wants.
  9. Got a pie tin for Applejack.
  10. Was going to paint a horseshoe for the Ponyville Relay Team. 
  11. Made uniforms for the Ponyville Relay Team.
  12. Tried a burnt piece of pie that Spike made. 
  13. Forgave Spike for destroying Ponyville and even called him her hero.
  14. When the Diamond Dogs kidnapped her, she was willing to find the gems for them. (Then they were rude to her, and she started complaining, whining, and crying.)
  15. Made Twilight a saddle bag, or something... it's been a while... (comic)
  16. Helped a family of hippies with business. (comic)
  17. Made capes for her friends.
  18. Made a lot of dresses for the Canterlot Wedding.
  19. Forgave Applejack for insulting her. (comic)
  20. Cut off her tail for a serpent. 
  21. Made Twilight a dress for her birthday.
  22. Helped the Canterlot ponies with various things (auction, fundraiser, gallery) She was not going to go to any of those until those ponies said it was important for her to go.
  23. Not wanting to disappoint anyone, she tried to attend two parties at the same time. 
  24. When she had to choose between her friends and her dreams, she chose her friends. (this is more loyalty, though...)
  25. Cheered for Fluttershy when no one else would knowing it would have easily destroyed her reputation despite being jealous of Fluttershy. 
  26. Spared Twilight's feelings when the bird's nest was a disaster. 
  27. Made something (don't remember what) for Apple Bloom when she was upset.
  28. Convinced the others to find a way to get to Cloudsdale to watch Rainbow Dash. 
  29. Volunteered to be the subject of a spell that Twilight never used before. (By the way, she had no idea what the wings were going to look like.)
  30. Was going to watch the CMC before Sweetie Belle ruined her fabric.
  31. Encouraged Fluttershy to be a model even though Rarity wanted to be a model. 
  32. Made costumes for the school play when she was little. 
  33. put her mane in a can of garbage to keep Pinkie Pie's surprise party a secret. 
  34. Noticed something was wrong with Twilight when something was wrong with her.
  35. Made Mare Do Well costumes to help her friend Rainbow Dash get her head out from the clouds. (So to speak)
  36. Was reasonable to Sweetie Belle even though she published her diary. 
  37. That gem that Rarity gave Spike... the one that was small... bought and industrial blow dryer. 
  38. Wanted to restore the tapestries in the Castle of the Two Sisters, not for herself, but for the castle. 
  39. Fixed Sweetie Belle's costumes for the play when they were terrible. 
  40. Forgave Sweetie Belle after Sweetie Belle admitted to ruining the headdress for Sapphire Shores. 

That is all I have at the top of my head.

If you look at the Rarity fan club here, it has A LOT more replies than any other fan club on here. I love Rarity. She is my favorite pony. A lot of others can say the same. 

• Brohoof 7

The Mane 6 are relatable in the real world. Rarity's stand-out apprearance could be the reason why everyone notices her more than the rest and hated more than the rest.

Everyone of them showed their weaknesses in an episode or two.

Twilight Sparkle = cuckoo crazy

Applejack = too self-reliant

Pinkie Pie = bitter

Fluttershy = scary when angry

Rainbow Dash = too proud

And finally, Rarity = drama queen

So don't HATE; LOVE and TOLERATE. I, for one, like the character of Rarity.

• Brohoof 2

Don't get me wrong, while Rarity may be my least favorite of the Mane 6... I like all the characters enough that that's not saying all that much. And I while she is quite generous at times, she's also a bit selfish at times too. Viral Spectrum, I liked your list, but some of them just seemed too small. I mean, that list shows that, yes she is in fact quite generous... but I honestly expect a bit more frome somepony who is literally the SPIRIT of generosity.

What?! How could it be that this Rarity hate is still going?  :confused:

Well, I'll put my input in again.

She's one of the more entertaining and relatable characters in the world of MLP.

Whoever hates her doesn't know what they're talking about!  :proud:

You're a good man Crimson Cross. :P

Don't get me wrong, while Rarity may be my least favorite of the Mane 6... I like all the characters enough that that's not saying all that much. And I while she is quite generous at times, she's also a bit selfish at times too. Viral Spectrum, I liked your list, but some of them just seemed too small. I mean, that list shows that, yes she is in fact quite generous... but I honestly expect a bit more frome somepony who is literally the SPIRIT of generosity.

I applaud your honesty even though I may not agree with your verdict. The truth of the matter is that at first glance, Rarity may not appear to be the most approachable of characters. I get that. I was right there with you at one point. It's easy to misunderstand her, and to see her as a typical stereotype. It's also doubly easy to not want to take a closer look at the subtle aspects of Rarity, but I promise that for those who do, their appreciation does grow. You mention a character flaw that she has. Ok. While I personally see her primary flaw as pride not greed, I understand why many come to that conclusion.

Here's the thing. Even if Rarity was extraordinarily generous most times, but greedy at others, that is an actual time honored characterization element in story telling that speaks to the dual nature of virtue and vice. It creates depth in the character, and should you take the time to approach the character again with that in mind. If you do you may see a few of the subtle signs that fans like myself see. Until then, they may remain hidden. In other words, you are likely missing out on a great meal of substance by simply dismissing the character before asking the question ... why?

This fandom despises Mary Sue characters in just about anything. A character with some flaws should invite rapturous attention. Like Lennie in 'Of Mice and Men', there is more to the character than the surface suggests. Try a different approach. See her as an artist, a dreamer, a self made mare who is desperate to prove to herself and those around her that she has worth.

There is depth in Jewell Butt ... but it takes some effort on your part.

I say the same things about Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Fluttershy, etc.

• Brohoof 2

I haven't observed much Rarity hate. I can't say I've been all over the Internet, but around here, nopony seems to have a bigger cult following. She's actually my second favorite. I go back and forth between her and Pinkie Pie for my #1 spot, but as it stands, Pinkie still holds that position, largely because she just cracks me up everytime. I've never been one to hate on any of the Mane Six though. I like them all to some degree. I feel like Fluttershy's the least developed of the group, but there's a lot I like about her too, and I don't know if I'd say that makes her my least favorite, because I wouldn't say I have a least favorite Mane Six pony. Besides, I ended up putting $20 on a sketch of Fluttershy at Brony Can, and I absolutely adore it. Different strokes I guess. Some ponies might just rub people the wrong way.

• Brohoof 1

I can't say I've been all over the Internet, but around here, nopony seems to have a bigger cult following.

Sorry I can't help help it Tross. But I gotta. :)

post-25990-0-35154600-1409017007.jpg

• Brohoof 2

And how exactly do you expect her to be "good enough" for the spirit of generosity? by giving presents to her friends every single episode? by helping random people with no reason? (wait, sometimes she actually does that), most of the things of the list are really nice and show that she really is the spirit of generosity, and those things that "seemed small" are its essence.

About Rarity being selfish, that's a lie, of course she cares a lot about herself, but she also cares about the others, she's self aware (which isn't a bad thing at all), and of course she makes mistakes, just like the rest of the mane 6

I guess I gotta be fair, they ALL have their moments were they aren't true to their elements. Fluttershy in Putting your Hoof Down, Rainbow in Over a Barrel, Applejack inThe Last Roundup, Rainbow Fluttershy AND Rarity in MMMystery Express all show these pretty well. But with Rarity, I just find it more obvious, I can't really specify why.

I guess I gotta be fair, they ALL have their moments were they aren't true to their elements. Fluttershy in Putting your Hoof Down, Rainbow in Over a Barrel, Applejack inThe Last Roundup, Rainbow Fluttershy AND Rarity in MMMystery Express all show these pretty well. But with Rarity, I just find it more obvious, I can't really specify why.

If you can't say why, then it doesn't mean much other than just tacking on a number to your post count and maybe a brohoof or two. Where's the rhyme and the reason?  The evidence? I honestly believe she displays her Element the most, and you can find a whole list of everything she's done generous in the show by following a link in my signature. 

I don't really believe you,  don't understand how that'd be a valid reason not to like her character in the first place, you failed to take in a lot of factors like "How easy us her element to live up to in comparison to the other elements?" or how generosity in general woul not be generosity at all if it were not done subtly, since it'd just be basking for attention then. 

Lots of stuff you need to think about, kid.

• Brohoof 1

I think the main reason for that would be because she goes against her element of harmony a lot of the time.

Another reason might be because she is probably the most girly character in the show and so some people may not pay much attention to her for that reason <-- unlikely but you never know.

I just wish she had more fans.  :please:

Edited by Athena-hime15

Athena-hime15, on 26 Aug 2014 - 01:07 AM, said:

I think the main reason for that would be because she goes against her element of harmony a lot of the time. :please:

She really doesn't, though :confused:

Take a look at this list:

http://mlpforums.com/blogs/?showentry=11548

People opt to see what they please. The facts dictate that the accusations made of her "going against her element a lot of the time" is false. 

Also,  she has a lot of fans :D Look at the results of the poll in this thread or her fan club, which has over 10,000 posts :D

• Brohoof 1

People either love Rarity, or they're wrong.  JK.   :lol:

Even though Rarity is my favorite character on the show, I get that some people don't like her because they imagine her as the archetypal beauty queen character prominent in the most horrible of teen and children shows.  People expect the fashionable pony to be self-centered and selfish because it supposedly comes with the territory, or because they know people like that in real life.  That's why I don't like Rainbow Dash very much, because I know and despise people like her IRL.

• Brohoof 2

@ghostfacekiller39 As I said before, I don't actively dislike Rarity, she's just my least favorite of the Mane 6, which isn't saying much. As for the not knowing why... I still can't really answer that. It's just one of those weird things, like how I can like Mare Do Well despite knowing that it was a poorly made episode. Even though Rarity is a very well made character... I just don't like something about her.

She really doesn't, though :confused:

Take a look at this list:

http://mlpforums.com/blogs/?showentry=11548

People opt to see what they please. The facts dictate that the accusations made of her "going against her element a lot of the time" is false. 

Also,  she has a lot of fans :D Look at the results of the poll in this thread or her fan club, which has over 10,000 posts :D

Wow! Now I'm wondering how I never even noticed all her acts of generosity, dumb me.

• Brohoof 2

@ghostfacekiller39 As I said before, I don't actively dislike Rarity, she's just my least favorite of the Mane 6, which isn't saying much. As for the not knowing why... I still can't really answer that. It's just one of those weird things, like how I can like Mare Do Well despite knowing that it was a poorly made episode. Even though Rarity is a very well made character... I just don't like something about her.

Like I said, that doesn't mean anything until you give a method to your madness :confused: While her being last on your mane 6 list is alright in my book, you can't criticize a character people love based on a "feeling." :confused: 

Give me facts. Evidence. At the very least, personal speculation. :please: Just give me a reason other than "I feel that way and I don't know why" because that's a really silly thing to criticize her for. If you don't even know why you're criticizing her, you shouldn't do it in the first place :confused:

• Brohoof 3