Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Rarity's characterization influence your opinion negatively?

Tenor Clef

What do you think  

231 users have voted

1. 1. what do you think of Rarity

• Awesome pony! love her!
    • She is a great character
    • Yeah she is a good pony
    • Do not care...
    • not a fan
    • Ugh, not that pony
    • Lets discuss a different pony.

(edited)

Seems I have accidentally struck a nerve here. I myself am American and a rather prideful one at that. However I have met plenty of people who are patriotic crazy and are more than quick to turn a cold shoulder on anyone different here in diversity-lacking Wisconsin. I understand that "many" was probably a quite large over exaggeration and I apologize for that. Now lets all be happy and bask in Rarity's greatness :D

Hehe, yeah sorry if I came off as harsh. I was offended but not actually angry at you :P

Seriously though, I don't think I know anyone who hates someone just for having a foreign accent. That seems so ridiculous to me, considering that America itself is a mix other cultures from around the world.

*basks in Rarity's fabulosity*

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 1

Every time I have a conversation about MLP, I mention Rarity. I love Rarity. But everyone says she's all stuck up. What's with that? Am I missing something?

MLP is a show most people like because they can relate to it easily. Rarity ends up being seen as that one girl who's better than everyone else, and because of her vanity (Which is the main conflict in multiple episodes) she is said to be stuck up. Maybe she means well, but people are too attached to their opinions to care.

One of my favourite things about Rarity is the way she interacts/contrasts with my favourite pony Applejack, episodes like Simple Ways and Look Before You Sleep showcase this wonderfully :D

On a superficial level, Rarity could be summarised as a stereotype but there is so much more to her character than that. She was the biggest surprise/breakout character for me the more I watched FIM :D

I think everyone hates rarity is because she's the exemplification of the show being for "little girls"

she's the character that caters to that particular audience.

me.....I think rarity's allright. I love everypony ^_^

When I first saw the show (before I was a brony or became one) I hated rarity. I thought she would be one of those snobby prissy girls. I was partially wrong. Only partially, anyway I found her to be one of my unexpected favorites. :D

I regret leaving this thread. Now I have to go back and read stuff. Jeez.

About what page did the discussion start up again?

Page 16, the rest is from 2013.
  • Brohoof 1

These 3 blog entries detail my ruminations about dear Rarity. They will show why hating on Rarity is utterly stupid. Just not liking her, or not relating to her, hey, I understand that. No one says you have to like her as much as I do, but c'mon, none of the Mane Six deserves to be hated.

http://mlpforums.com/blog/1083/entry-9584-looking-at-rarity-part-1-reasons-rarity-rocks/

http://mlpforums.com/blog/1083/entry-9977-looking-at-rarity-part-2-flawed-fashionista/

http://mlpforums.com/blog/1083/entry-10976-looking-at-rarity-part-3-allies-associates-and-antagonists/

Read em if you want...

• Brohoof 1

Rarity... just like every pony she has her flaws. Exactly. Just like every pony. I find her great and generous character (what was proven especially in episode Rarity Takes Manehattan) that has flaws like every other living being.

She did some things that are not really great, like that "epic" Twilight's dress, because she was too busy with other stuff that was not really important, and instead of focusing simply on her friend's party (but admitted her mistake and it had good ending after all), she is drama queen sometimes (but it's actually funny and I don't see it as REALLY bad thing) and I remember that "fight" she had with Applejack because of one stallion xD But really... there are lots of humans who are like that. Rarity after all always went on "good path" and understood what she was doing wrong.

She took her lessons in life just like we all learn new things every day and by that we become better and better people. And let's look on what her personality is also about - she is generous, giving pony who despite making mistakes sometimes is there for her friends. People blame her so hard over that "incident" with Spike's gem, but let's make this straight - I am pretty sure Spike loved that kiss much more than gem he gave to Rarity (who in the world would prefer a gem over a kiss from someone he has crush on?! )... and in the end of the episode he even got a second one. And also - Rarity was REALLY grateful for that small act of generousity Spike has shown. That gem meant a lot to her and even if there can be seen some slight (even if maybe it was not intended) attempt to persuade Spike in my opinion her behaviour was great there. She gave so hard lecture to Spike in his...bigger form about how some sweet dragon gave that gem to her... :D 

This is why I don't understand the hate. I am well aware of how she made some bad decisions, but she fixed or at least tried to fix her mistakes. I think she is great character and does not deserve the hate she gets. No pony deserves. Be more understanding, people. And on top of all - it's just a show, it is supposed to teach us something as well, what would it teach us if characters there were 100% perfect? 

• Brohoof 1

These 3 blog entries detail my ruminations about dear Rarity. They will show why hating on Rarity is utterly stupid. Just not liking her, or not relating to her, hey, I understand that. No one says you have to like her as much as I do, but c'mon, none of the Mane Six deserves to be hated.

http://mlpforums.com/blog/1083/entry-9584-looking-at-rarity-part-1-reasons-rarity-rocks/

http://mlpforums.com/blog/1083/entry-9977-looking-at-rarity-part-2-flawed-fashionista/

http://mlpforums.com/blog/1083/entry-10976-looking-at-rarity-part-3-allies-associates-and-antagonists/

Read em if you want...

True, the mane6 are all great... Don't know why someone would ruin such a great show for himself just because of petty, unwarranted hate... I met a guy once on EQD that hated Rainbow, Rarity and Twilight, and it was real hate, he said he could barely tolerate Rares and Twi in episodes, for example... He was kinda neutral to Applejack and only liked Fluttershy and Pinkie... :muffins:

Why are people like that even watching the show if there is so much in it that enrages them? :muffins:

I can also really recommend Sunnys Rarity blogs, they really do a great job at explaining the fab one to people that might not quite get her appeal. :D

People blame her so hard over that "incident" with Spike's gem, but let's make this straight - I am pretty sure Spike loved that kiss much more than gem he gave to Rarity (who in the world would prefer a gem over a kiss from someone he has crush on?! )... and in the end of the episode he even got a second one. And also - Rarity was REALLY grateful for that small act of generousity Spike has shown. That gem meant a lot to her and even if there can be seen some slight (even if maybe it was not intended) attempt to persuade Spike in my opinion her behaviour was great there. She gave so hard lecture to Spike in his...bigger form about how some sweet dragon gave that gem to her... :D

Well, thank Celestia we have a twitter tweet from Larson about that whole ruby thing. In my opinion something that was not really neccessary because i never found it to be a big deal that Spike gave Rares the ruby, but for some it might be an eye opener.

post-25189-0-13899000-1397658684_thumb.png

Many people that dislike Rarity accuse her of "seducing" Spike out of his ruby, but the sexy Rarity scene was just his imagination. She was even honestly shocked and overwhelmed that Spike was just giving her the jewel. One can see that pretty well because of her reaction.

For Rarity the gem was something of great, exceptional beauty that would have been forever destroyed, for Spike it was his lunch... :lol:
  • Brohoof 3

True, the mane6 are all great... Don't know why someone would ruin such a great show for himself just because of petty, unwarranted hate... I met a guy once on EQD that hated Rainbow, Rarity and Twilight, and it was real hate, he said he could barely tolerate Rares and Twi in episodes, for example... He was kinda neutral to Applejack and only liked Fluttershy and Pinkie... :muffins:

Why are people like that even watching the show if there is so much in it that enrages them? :muffins:

I can also really recommend Sunnys Rarity blogs, they really do a great job at explaining the fab one to people that might not quite get her appeal. :D

Well, thank Celestia we have a twitter tweet from Larson about that whole ruby thing. In my opinion something that was not really neccessary because i never found it to be a big deal that Spike gave Rares the ruby, but for some it might be an eye opener.

Many people that dislike Rarity accuse her of "seducing" Spike out of his ruby, but the sexy Rarity scene was just his imagination. She was even honestly shocked and overwhelmed that Spike was just giving her the jewel. One can see that pretty well because of her reaction.

For Rarity the gem was something of great, exceptional beauty that would have been forever destroyed, for Spike it was his lunch... :lol:

I agree with You. And on top of all like I said, he got a better gift after all... so I see nothing wrong with what happened there  :lol:

• Brohoof 2

It's rather amusing to me to hear all of this nonsense! I mean come on! Just look at all the fan art out there.  :D

I also met someone sometimes that said that it was horrible of Rarity to "seduce" Spike out of his ruby because it made him incredibly unhappy... His evidence was this scene:

post-25189-0-24655700-1402310564_thumb.png

He of course completely ignored that mere seconds later Spike looks more like this:

post-25189-0-89531400-1402310602_thumb.png

So unhappy! :o

I think it was even a analysis on youtube... :huh:

Some people, man... :lol:  :muffins:

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I also met someone sometimes that said that it was horrible of Rarity to "seduce" Spike out of his ruby because it made him incredibly unhappy... His evidence was this scene:

attachicon.gif640px-Spike_noooo!_S2E10.png

He of course completely ignored that mere seconds later Spike looks more like this:

attachicon.gif640px-Spike_smiling_S2E10.png

So unhappy! :o

I think it was even a analysis on youtube... :huh:

Some people, man... :lol:  :muffins:

Whaaat? What kind of malarky is that? 

When is Spike EVER unhappy with Rarity? I certainly don't ever recall a moment. Spike gave Rarity his most precious belonging to her and did not regret it (much).  :D

96475%20-%20animated%20cute%20nuzzling%2

Edited by The Golden Cross
  • Brohoof 3

Why are people hating on Rarity? Because it's easy. Not thinking is easy and to understand Rarity's character you need to THINK and see something more than just a "prissy fashionista". People see what they want to see. If they want to see Rarity as a pony, who cares only about how she looks, then they'll see her as someone like that. But it's not Rarity at all.

• Brohoof 5

Maybe because the ones making comments are man bronies and would find it hard to relate to a pony who's character is very feminine!

I personally love her! "Hello darling"

Hmpf... I still don't get this poll.

Where is all the Rarity hate at? Did it just disappear in season four? Is this site an exception? The positve poll options grow and grow and the negative ones stay small. Are those sad, eight votes really all of it thats left? Is the fact that this poll is not anonymous a deterrent? Where is the fire? Where is the hate from back then?

You know: Element of greed, selfish bitch, worst pony, whore, should have died in Sonic Rainboom, should leave the show. Where is all of that?

What did change?

• Brohoof 1

Hmpf... I still don't get this poll.

Where is all the Rarity hate at? Did it just disappear in season four? Is this site an exception? The positve poll options grow and grow and the negative ones stay small. Are those sad, eight votes really all of it thats left? Is the fact that this poll is not anonymous a deterrent? Where is the fire? Where is the hate from back then?

You know: Element of greed, selfish bitch, worst pony, whore, should have died in Sonic Rainboom, should leave the show. Where is all of that?

What did change?

ghostfacekiller39 would kill the haters But has there even been some Rarity hate in the forums? I can't find some old hate posts.
  • Brohoof 1

ghostfacekiller39 would kill the haters But has there even been some Rarity hate in the forums? I can't find some old hate posts.

I don't know... And if there haven't been. What is different here?

How did she even become fancy when her family isn't? Did she watch alot of America's next top model or something when she was a child?

Who knows?

Maybe they have fancy relatives like Applejack, Rares met them and found their fancyness to her liking? Would be a pretty cool episode idea to explain how that actually happened.

(edited)

Who knows?

Maybe they have fancy relatives like Applejack, Rares met them and found their fancyness to her liking? Would be a pretty cool episode idea to explain how that actually happened.

True :)  And it's interesting idea, but in my opinion it has something to do with her being an artist. She wants to be close to things, which are pretty and unusual, because it inspires her and is connected with her special talent. 

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

People have different opinions on everything. I wouldn't say she's the most hated character on the show. Personally, she's #3 on my mane 6 favs.

• 1 month later...

Im not buying the result of this poll.

The reason so few admit to hate Rarity here has probably to do with the fact that the poll is not anonymous. Most Rarity haters are probably too big cowards to vote for their true convictions.

Not long ago that has been the common opinion of Rarity:

post-25189-0-89646100-1406367645_thumb.png

Sorry, not buying it.