Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fandom influence on future episodes?

Onylex

(edited)

As to seeing that the creators of the show know about the fandom and bronies in general, makes me wander if they will engage us more in feature episodes, meaning, if we do get a 4th season, do you think they will make more or less shout outs to the fandom? I say this in regards to the whole Derpy incident, which I assume was a shout out to the fandom but, was only changed do to controversial complications regarding her character and how offensive it may or may not have been.

Basically I just want to see what everponies thoughts are on what you think will happen. Will the creators try and stay away from shout outs to avoid another insolent like Derpy or will they be more open to showing how much they appreciate the fandom in feature episodes, by doing more things like calling a character by a name made within the fandom?

Edited by Onylex
  • Brohoof 1

There was a return of Trixie as well as Discord and they were both fan favorites. If those aren't perfect shoutouts I don't know what is.

Then again, a full Celestia/Luna/Discord/Starswirl the bearded episode would be even more of a shoutout because I've read a lot of stories about how people would want something like that.

• Brohoof 1

I think that the fandom's influence on some future episodes could really come into play if the writers do take a look at what our ideas are if they have the time.

• Brohoof 1

I think they'll continue to throw in little, non-intrusive shout-outs to the fandom. I expect Derpy to stick around, too.

I'm not at all opposed to seeing this, either:

tumblr_mk527k3yX21rk9l9xo1_500.jpg

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

With the fact that they threw shout outs in the movie it can only be certian that there we be more to come just gotta keep your eyes open and catch em

If i see a ghillie suit pony i'm dying

Edited by DaReaper
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly? I seriously hope not.

They've been doing things because they make good plots, or one or two fandom nods here and now. I hope it doesn't go beyond this. What makes this show so great is what it is, not what the fandom wants it to be. We'll always have our fan creations and our fan works. I just want My Little Pony to be the great, expansive, kiddie show that it is so that we can build off of it.

• Brohoof 2

The writers once said in a Q&A that the fandom has no effects on the show, like Twilicorn and stuff.. But of course it does influence the show a little. Although hopefully not too much, but like adding Vinyl Scratch and Derpy to the last episode of season 3 was obviously a shout out to the fandom. So I guess we will be seeing more in the future but hopefully they'll keep it at a minimum.

• Brohoof 1

In general, we hope note.

HOWEVER, they did hint that in season 4 there'd be an episode about disabilities. MOST bronies seemed to assume this meant Scootaloo, but I'm holding out that they'll make an episode about Derpy, and it'll be a fantastic episode that really digs into what it means to be disabled and how the community treats you. And it'll be like "Kapow! Take that, angsty parents union!"

• Brohoof 1

There's have been lots of shout-outs throughout Seasons 2 and 3, plus Equestria Girls. That will continue. However, actually *using* fan-created content in a serious way is verboten. The creators aren't supposed to be reading any fanfic, or looking at fanart, or listening to fanmusic, according to contract. That's to protect them, and DHX, and Hasbro, from some lawsuit-happy fan coming along and suing them for using *their* stuff without paying for it.

Which has happened on a regular basis with other IPs, so don't think we're immune to that nonsense.

• Brohoof 2

Fandom influence is apparent, especially with Discord's comeback and Trixie's comeback. However, I still feel the producers are commercializing the show for younger audiences and as such do not allow the fandom to have such a massive impact to the show. For one, that's why fanfics never get scripted out by Hasbro (along with copyright issues).

• Brohoof 1

I think that the fandom's influence on some future episodes could really come into play if the writers do take a look at what our ideas are if they have the time.

They said that they avoid all fan made stuff so that they don't take anything from fans and also there is no chance of infringing any sort of copyright.

I think that we will see more Derpy then in S3 (now that the whole Derpy gate thing has blown over) and maybe one or 2 other "fan gestures", however I think msot of them will be kept to merch.

I hope they take as little notice of the fans as possible to be honest, I fear that if they do it will change to show into something that it's not!

• Brohoof 2

i feel we have a bigger effect then most people think i mean so many fans are grown adults with jobs thats big $ for hasbro i know they can't look at the fanmade content but am sure they will and clam it was there idea i mean any fan of the show would never sue then for showing there oc or idea for a episode would you there are so many good ideas they could take on from snowdrop to octavia and vinyl it can happen as long as we make are voices heard and not rage at thing we have little info on like we did with equestria girls. if we earn the trust of the writter and hasbro it can be done.

• Brohoof 1

Well I think that they actually do make up some of the stories from ideas and things the brony community want because they know the fanbase is so big. They feel like a part of it themselves so they like the ideas I guess

• Brohoof 1

They said that they avoid all fan made stuff so that they don't take anything from fans and also there is no chance of infringing any sort of copyright.

I think that we will see more Derpy then in S3 (now that the whole Derpy gate thing has blown over) and maybe one or 2 other "fan gestures", however I think msot of them will be kept to merch.

I hope they take as little notice of the fans as possible to be honest, I fear that if they do it will change to show into something that it's not!

I hope they don't either. Giving the "customers" what they want ends up with something that no one really wants, because customers/fans aren't the experts . Isn't that something we learned in Suited for Success?

I think they may do some subtle things and maybe take ideas and stuff from the fandom, but I don't think they're going to outright give us shoutouts.

I don't think well be having another background pony like derpy just because hasbro probaly won't take the risk.

I think hasbro will remain mostly subtle with their shoutouts, and just continue to make great quality episodes.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'll be skeptical since we've had a few problems with the fandom interacting with the show's creators.  With that said however, I do hope to see some nods to the fandom, nods/references to other shows/movies/TV series and the like with future episodes.  It's really made MLPFIM stand out from the crap that you see with the newer Sponge Bobs, opposed to the older ones. 

Hope to see Derpy return to her original position as a "Where's Waldo" type pony, fans picking her out of a crowd. 

I'm taking everything McCarthy says with a grain of salt.  No offense meant to here and no disrepect meant, but whatever she says can be changed by Hasbro.  Example is her comment about Twilight outliving her friends since Hasbro could determine that if Twilight replacing Celestia means 6 new ponies to introduces, sell toys of, and continue the series of G4, then it will happen. 

There was a comment either from a Con or through McCarthy's twitter that talked about an S4 episode dealing with disabilities.  Now, if this means we talk about Derpy, then it could be interesting if done correctly.  Hope they only lightly touch upon the subject instead of going full tilt and try to give her a background and subsequently bring her into the spotlight.

Edited by Genepool
  • Brohoof 1

There's have been lots of shout-outs throughout Seasons 2 and 3, plus Equestria Girls. That will continue. However, actually *using* fan-created content in a serious way is verboten. The creators aren't supposed to be reading any fanfic, or looking at fanart, or listening to fanmusic, according to contract. That's to protect them, and DHX, and Hasbro, from some lawsuit-happy fan coming along and suing them for using *their* stuff without paying for it.

Fanfics, fanmusic (Daniel Ingram confirmed this on Twitter IIRC) and OCs are a confirmed given, yes, but as for everything else, I find it to be BS.

If they truly aren't allowed to take anything even remotely fan-made, then they honestly shouldn't have done the nods they did. Such as Derpy, canonizing names for each of the BG ponies from us, and so on so forth. They shouldn't be doing this in the first place at all.

But somehow, they are. Perhaps Hasbro isn't as strict (and fearful of lawsuits) as some thought to be. And honestly, they shouldn't be, especially if it involves characters that they already own.

And if it ever came to me, well, I sure as hell wouldn't sue them should they ever canonize you-know-who, especially since, again, its a character that they already own. I mean, to me, it just wouldn't make sense if I had tried to sue them over it anyway, you know?

• Brohoof 1

I personally doubt they all avoid all fanmade stuff, especially if they themselves enjoy the show. But there is a certain amount that they cannot be seen to know about, because that may indeed leave them open to copyright claims. 

• Brohoof 1

Fanfics, fanmusic (Daniel Ingram confirmed this on Twitter IIRC) and OCs are a confirmed given, yes, but as for everything else, I find it to be BS.

If they truly aren't allowed to take anything even remotely fan-made, then they honestly shouldn't have done the nods they did. Such as Derpy, canonizing names for each of the BG ponies from us, and so on so forth. They shouldn't be doing this in the first place at all.

But somehow, they are. Perhaps Hasbro isn't as strict (and fearful of lawsuits) as some thought to be. And honestly, they shouldn't be, especially if it involves characters that they already own.

And if it ever came to me, well, I sure as hell wouldn't sue them should they ever canonize you-know-who, especially since, again, its a character that they already own. I mean, to me, it just wouldn't make sense if I had tried to sue them over it anyway, you know?

Sure, they can get away with hints and shout-outs, but that's it. Given that animation studios and IP owners are sued on a regular basis by so-called 'fans' who think their fanfics have been stolen, this is a real thing and not BS. J.K. Rowlings has been sued over early Harry Potter fanfics, Sony Music Entertainment has been sued over music phrases appearing in on their label, so on and so forth. Most of it is tossed out of court as ludicrous, but letting it get to court is an PR cost that many corporations don't want to deal with.

Yeah, they're skirting the law. Just like all the plushie makers, the custom toy makers, and Fallout Equestria in publishing actual books. They're not breaking the law, just skirting it. And DHX and Hasbro are doing the same things right back, trying to show the fans that they're cool, and everything is copasetic. IDW and Hasbro are taking a lot more risks in the comics, showing that there's something specific to the show itself that is being restrictive. Possibly Discovery Communications, as they're the actual owners of the Hub and are the ones that seem to be having the most problems over things happening in-show.

But anyway taking stuff wholesale is just as forbidden. And it doesn't matter if you'd be fine with Hasbro stealing your stuff, there's enough rabid 'fans' who would take any opportunity to 'stick it to' Hasbro just for being mean and issuing C&Ds against Fighting is Magic or some other thing that they had looked forward to, that it's too much of a risk.

I really hope not. Our fanbase has generated a bit of negativity towards the show to some people. I can't help but worry about another incident such as Derpygate. Besides, the show is fine as it is already, I would hate to see it changed.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I don't really see what the problem is if they continue to do this. Sure, It's less creative, but when has the Brony fandom not been creative? Plus, with these shoutouts and concept ideas being used from the fandom, they add their own unique play to it like the incident with Luna and Trixie. Nopony was really expecting these for episodes, and I think that fact boosted their ratings and for the show with these coming seasons. They were ambitious, and and they certainly did their ambition right. I would be highly disappointed if somehow giving more shoutouts to the fandom was considered not so appropriate.  

• Brohoof 1

As much as I would like them to put fan stuff in the show, I also don't want another Derpy issue to come out. *I happened to have loved the original version*

If all the fans are going to do is raise a stink over it. I would rather they leave fanon based stuff out of canon and just enjoy the show as it is.

• Brohoof 1

Sure, they can get away with hints and shout-outs, but that's it. Given that animation studios and IP owners are sued on a regular basis by so-called 'fans' who think their fanfics have been stolen, this is a real thing and not BS. J.K. Rowlings has been sued over early Harry Potter fanfics, Sony Music Entertainment has been sued over music phrases appearing in on their label, so on and so forth. Most of it is tossed out of court as ludicrous, but letting it get to court is an PR cost that many corporations don't want to deal with.

Yeah, they're skirting the law. Just like all the plushie makers, the custom toy makers, and Fallout Equestria in publishing actual books. They're not breaking the law, just skirting it. And DHX and Hasbro are doing the same things right back, trying to show the fans that they're cool, and everything is copasetic. IDW and Hasbro are taking a lot more risks in the comics, showing that there's something specific to the show itself that is being restrictive. Possibly Discovery Communications, as they're the actual owners of the Hub and are the ones that seem to be having the most problems over things happening in-show.

But anyway taking stuff wholesale is just as forbidden. And it doesn't matter if you'd be fine with Hasbro stealing your stuff, there's enough rabid 'fans' who would take any opportunity to 'stick it to' Hasbro just for being mean and issuing C&Ds against Fighting is Magic or some other thing that they had looked forward to, that it's too much of a risk.

Yeah, I'm already aware of your point here, as I've read about it long before this. Honestly, that's one of the main drawbacks with having a large fanbase here. With such a large fanbase comes a metric ton of fanfics. What are the chances of having a fanfic that is extremely similar to a canon episode? Pretty damn high, I'd say.

Honestly, I think these idiotic fans and other people shouldn't be suing companies for "stolen ideas." Maybe having an OC being canonized without your consent would be justified, but suing them for common plot ideas, concepts, and tropes that's been done to death since the dawn of time? Pretty damn stupid, really. Nothing is original and nothing under the sun is new. That's what they need to realize.

I really think the law needs to be reworked in order for this stupidity to not happen anymore, but whether that'll happen is up in the air.

Well, let me be further clear on this. I will not sue them over Super Dash should they use her, as disclaimed on my DA page. I'm in no position to do it anyway, not when the character is still owned by them. At least I have some ethical sense not to, unlike these rabid fans.

I just want to see her in the show and that's it (albeit some bronies may disagree with that). If they can't do it for reasons other than legal issues, so be it.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, I'm already aware of your point here, as I've read about it long before this. Honestly, that's one of the main drawbacks with having a large fanbase here. With such a large fanbase comes a metric ton of fanfics. What are the chances of having a fanfic that is extremely similar to a canon episode? Pretty damn high, I'd say.

Honestly, I think these idiotic fans and other people shouldn't be suing companies for "stolen ideas." Maybe having an OC being canonized without your consent would be justified, but suing them for common plot ideas, concepts, and tropes that's been done to death since the dawn of time? Pretty damn stupid, really. Nothing is original and nothing under the sun is new. That's what they need to realize.

I really think the law needs to be reworked in order for this stupidity to not happen anymore, but whether that'll happen is up in the air.

Well, let me be further clear on this. I will not sue them over Super Dash should they use her, as disclaimed on my DA page. I'm in no position to do it anyway, not when the character is still owned by them. At least I have some ethical sense not to, unlike these rabid fans.

I just want to see her in the show and that's it (albeit some bronies may disagree with that). If they can't do it for reasons other than legal issues, so be it.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood what you meant by your post. Nevermind then. :wacko:

Though I do have one more point (not directed at you actually, this post is just a convenient jumping off point given your involvement with Super Rainbow Dash.) As for borrowing bits from Sonic, Doctor Who, etc. Hasbro does need to be at least a *bit* cautious there, because then they're treading on someone else's registered IP, but in a way it's easier because they can talk directly to those other big IP owners on a more equal level and come to an arrangement. Sega, Nintendo, Paramount, Disney, Warner Brothers, BBC, Marvel, DC, etc. may give the impression of being lawsuit-happy, but just like Hasbro they're pretty reasonable if you just *ask* first. Take Wreck It Ralph, Roger Rabbit, and the various DC and Marvel comics that cross their IPs with Star Trek, Doctor Who, etc. This kind of stuff happens officially all the time.

It's the 'ask forgiveness later' attitude that a lot of fans seem to have that gets the big company's knickers in a bunch. Kids can get away with that, but as adults that doesn't fly. And if you're making pro-level stuff, you are going to be expected to act like adults. If you don't, you're going to be treated like a little kid and get yourself spanked. And not in a good way.  ;)

• Brohoof 1

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood what you meant by your post. Nevermind then. :wacko:

Though I do have one more point (not directed at you actually, this post is just a convenient jumping off point given your involvement with Super Rainbow Dash.) As for borrowing bits from Sonic, Doctor Who, etc. Hasbro does need to be at least a *bit* cautious there, because then they're treading on someone else's registered IP, but in a way it's easier because they can talk directly to those other big IP owners on a more equal level and come to an arrangement. Sega, Nintendo, Paramount, Disney, Warner Brothers, BBC, Marvel, DC, etc. may give the impression of being lawsuit-happy, but just like Hasbro they're pretty reasonable if you just *ask* first. Take Wreck It Ralph, Roger Rabbit, and the various DC and Marvel comics that cross their IPs with Star Trek, Doctor Who, etc. This kind of stuff happens officially all the time.

Not... really. Hasbro doesn't really need to ask SEGA. Super Dash is white, not gold like Super Sonic. The only similarities between them are the flaming hair and red eyes, the former of which is a pretty common design trait anyway. Actually, everything about Super Dash is derived from those who came before. As I've said, nothing is original.

Besides, I doubt SEGA would care anyway, considering that they got the idea from DBZ in the first place. And Toei and Akira Toriyama didn't seem to care one bit about SEGA using it, so really, it's all good.

I see your point, anyway, regardless.

• Brohoof 2