Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you ever regret being a brony?

Gigapony

I REGRET NOTHING! Ok sometimes I do, but it's not that I regret being a brony... as in liking the show, what I regret is having a label thrust upon me, because every barrel has it's bad apples and some bronies just kinda paint you in a bad light by dint of sharing a demographic with you. *ahem cough* pony-pushers, conversionists, dramatics club, the minority of cloppers who turn out to ACTUALLY be zoophiles.

to be honest i used to when i was a closet brony

but when i stopped being a closet brony and everyone was cool about it i dont regret a single thing i fucking love MLP

By the way, what makes people think being a Brony is gay?! If anything, it's the opposite! We like a show that features a cast almost excusively consisting of females. Guys like females, so why do our interests that revolve around them brand us as gay? Take a look at the butch, macho dudes who are calling us gay, what do they think is 'straight'? Is it macho things like football, which has exclusively male teams tackling each other and rolling around on the ground together? Or maybe its the 'cool' girls they're into, who do everything in their power to look and act like men? I could add to this list of examples all day, but you get the idea. I don't know what world these Brony-bashers come from, but I'll stick to my 'gay' world of female ponies any day, thanks.  

By the way, what makes people think being a Brony is gay?!

Hm... I'd wager:

to be honest i used to when i was a closet brony but when i stopped being a closet brony and everyone was cool about it i dont regret a single thing i fucking love MLP

I'll admit though, it was rather akward having to tell my family about it, and I thought I'd never manage to do it.

Good heavens, where does that idea ever come from? Not a single hater is making you guys feel shame in bring a fan of My Little Pony, or Littlest Pet Shop or Spong—Actually. That last one you should be ashamed of. The only person capable of making you feel shame is yourself, and judging by the vast majority of these "I'm so scared of coming out of the closet" posts/threads (Which come staggeringly close to making me feel shame for even being here) the stink of fear and shame is heavy in these parts. 

Honestly, a little bit, but not that much.

Being a Brony had contributed to me losing some people who I thought were my friends. But there's been some positives too. I've learned who my real friends are: even though they may not be Bronies, they still want to be my friend and accept me for who I am.

@@Seiji Matsuri, This kind of logic you're displaying is extremely ignorant and tells everyone here you have no clue why some bronies keep their love for the show huddled in the closet.

A very big reason why some bronies stay in the closet is because there are many factors in society where liking a show with "girly" pastels sends a message that he or she is gay or a pedophile. For girls, this isn't as much of a problem because the market audience (little girls for toys, families for the animation) attracts them to it. On the other hands, for boys young and old, it's another story. In many places in the U.S. and around the world, gender roles play a critical role in society and often dictate where your life will be and how you will be living it. Not conforming to gender norms is considered a warning sign, and there are many areas in the southern U.S. that spit on people who don't conform to gender roles.

And there are two examples. On the official brony documentary, one of the people interviewed had his car vandalized because they found out he was a brony. Also, one user on here (after showing them that he was brony) had his stuff taken away by his homophobic parents and sent to camp so he can "have some positive male influences." To this day, he still regrets this decision.

Another reason is a simple one: fear of abandonment. Bronies like to talk about stuff and gather together with other friends. Liking a so-called "girly" show that was once viewed as a laughingstock for being marketed exclusively to little girls and toddler girls via stereotypes is often considered a no-no, and people don't like to lose friends, especially for a reason other than liking a peculiar show.

I, personally, don't stay in the closet, but I understand why some bronies do. You should understand, too.

hell no, i love being a brony, the show is amazing , the way i see it is if they change the show or stop airing it then i'll keep rewatching the old episodes , i love buying mlp stuff and talking about it.

• Brohoof 2

Being a Brony is awesome.  I don't regret it.  the only regret I have is that I don't know any Bronies near me, and am rather nervous about meeting one.  I mean, ravecrocker is my best friend, but we were friends long before ponies.  But otherwise, no, I do not regret being a Brony, ever.  The show and this fandom may be the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Hm... I'd wager:

Good heavens, where does that idea ever come from? Not a single hater is making you guys feel shame in bring a fan of My Little Pony, or Littlest Pet Shop or Spong—Actually. That last one you should be ashamed of. The only person capable of making you feel shame is yourself, and judging by the vast majority of these "I'm so scared of coming out of the closet" posts/threads (Which come staggeringly close to making me feel shame for even being here) the stink of fear and shame is heavy in these parts. 

Don't get me wrong! I am ultra-proud of being a Brony and have never been anything else! I have never cared what anybody thinks of me or my interests. I'm only trying to commiserate with those who have had difficulties in this area because of people who just don't get it. Believe me, sad as it is, there ARE people who will bash you for being a Brony, it's documented very well on the documentary 'Bronies: the unexpected fandom...' and countless other places among these threads. It's easy to feel 'fear' when it seems like the whole world is down on you for nothing, but everyone overcomes their own obstacles in their own time and way. We don't feel ashamed of what we love, we're just sick of people telling us we should be. 'Fear' and 'shame' aren't the suitable words here, maybe 'frustration' or 'annoyance'. I don't fear a fly buzzing around my head, but I do get sick of it sometimes.  

• Brohoof 2

I have never regretted it, the day I became a brony changed my life forever. My life just took a different path.

I have of course wondered, what if people started hating on me for being a brony.. But then I remember I'm already hated by pretty much anyone that knows me. So I honestly don't care what people think, it makes me happy and that's all I care about.

tumblr_mg6d99Uqm21s2rx91o1_500.gif

So let the fun continue!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I like being a brony, but OTOH I don't go around advertising it to my friends and colleagues -- mostly because I have no idea how they would react. 

But my attitude is if people decide to judge or even hate me just because I like a TV show, that is their hangup, not mine, so I just ignore the haters.  Ironically, though, those types of people are the ones who need love and friendship (which is the message of MLP!) the most.   

I'd rather love everybody (everypony!)  <3

Edited by rvb
  • Brohoof 1

I can't say why I would ever regret being a brony. Sure, I've done some stupid things partially due to the fact I am a brony but it never was that exclusively. 

I'm actually now doing all sorts of neat things that I'm a brony, such as working on some animation projects and helping out with some random panel stuff at Bronycon that I don't fully understand what the hell I'm doing just yet. So hey, brony on I guess!

• Brohoof 2

No. No I don't. I admit I sometimes consider why I like this show. I watch an episode and shout "I remember now." But then that's me. If someone is starting to have second thoughts, the outcome is entirely up to them.

I have no regrets.

As much hate this fandom gets at times, despite the amount of backlash the haters get, despite the controversies the fandom gets itself like princess twilight and equestria girls, I'll always remain strong.

I'll remain a fan no matter what. 

• Brohoof 1

I REGRET NOTHING! No, seriously though, I ask myself almost every day whether it is worth coming back, and being bullied, and all the  hate that I see on the Internet. A small part of me wants to be able to say "Yeah, I am so over that! Being a brony isn't my thing anymore, so can you guys be my friends again because I am not a brony?" and knowing my friends they would take me back and everything would go back to normal and this chunk of my life would slowly fade into a memory. But then I ask myself if I should do some Crystal Meth and just say "Eh, better not.". So I keep coming back, and I don't regret it one bit.

• 6 months later...

Yes, I do feel ashamed.

I don't know if it's society or the 'Anti-Bronies', but I've always felt guilty for enjoying the show and becoming a Brony because I've never had a lot of self-esteem to begin with and now that people hate me just for enjoying the show which makes me worried that other people I deal with in my day to day life will find out and judge me based on that.

It's the worst thing that's ever happened to me.

Seriously though, nope. I really don't care about haters online, and I'm not that open about it in the real world, so I've never bullied about being a Brony. Besides the really crazy Bronies (like the guy that was "married" to Twilight), pretty much all of my experiences in the fandom have been positive, and I still love the show. 

Do I regret enjoying something that I enjoy? No.

But on the same note, I don't feel any stress over it. After all, who cares what anyone has to say about it? If you enjoy it, enjoy it. If you're stressing over the opinions of irrelevant parties, then you are not enjoying it.

Are you kidding? Of course I don't! :lol:

If I had never become a brony, my life would be more boring and duller than ever! Long story short: Becoming a brony, and then joining this site is what stopped me from falling back into near-complete 'isolation'. ;)

Gosh, I can't believe it's already been 8 months ... I guess time flies by when you're having fun. :D

I am actually a closet brony myself, the reason being is mostly because I live in kind a redneck little area where sometimes people aren't always the most open minded of sorts, as far as liking the fandom goes I LOVE the fandom, and like the first poster said, I wish I would have become a brony a lot sooner (I got into the show after all three seasons had aired) and the way things are looking right now I hope I never get tired of the community!