Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sweetie Belles talent kind of sucks.

FruitRiver

(edited)

Is it just me, or is Sweetie Belles talent (singing) pretty much useless? All of the ponies can sing. Even Scootaloo sings a little bit in Babs Seed. And compared to the other ponies that sing, her voice isn't even that good. Rainbow Dash, the tomboy with a raspy voice has a better voice then her in my opinion.

What do you think? Is singing a special talent when basically everypony in Equestria can sing?

Edited by Pinkie
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't think she had a talent, hence no Cutie Mark.

Or is there something in Equestria Girls about it that I don't know about? (I haven't seen it.)

Yes, singing still counts as a talent. I still think Sweetie Belle has a better voice than Rainbow Dash's any day. But, yes, it's something Sweetie is really good at, which means yes, it's a talent. 

• Brohoof 1

A lot of it is in the fact that she's still young and her voice,, hasn't un-squeakafide yet.

As much as i love squeakybell, I would love to hear her real voice come through

Well, yes, they all sing, but Sweetie Belle probably is meant to have a better singing voice than all the others, hence the name, singing talent.

I mean, look at us. We all like to sing. In the shower, along with a song, doesn't necessarily mean that we have singing talents. I mean, we sing for fun, and singers have a better singing voice than all of us, so, they have a singing talent.

So, it isn't really that useless.

• Brohoof 7

Yes, singing still counts as a talent. I still think Sweetie Belle has a better voice than Rainbow Dash's any day. But, yes, it's something Sweetie is really good at, which means yes, it's a talent. 

But doesn't every other pony have that talent too? The whole mane 6 is good at singing.

@Spess

The CMC have talents, they just haven't realized their talents yet. In the Show Stoppers, Sweetie Belle attempts to create the scene and backdrop, Scoots tries to sing and Apple Bloom tries to dance. When really, Scootaloo's talent is dancing, Sweetie Belles is singing, and Applebloom's is stage design.

• Brohoof 1

Well, yes, they all sing, but Sweetie Belle probably is meant to have a better singing voice than all the others, hence the name, singing talent.

I mean, look at us. We all like to sing. In the shower, along with a song, doesn't necessarily mean that we have singing talents. I mean, we sing for fun, and singers have a better singing voice than all of us, so, they have a singing talent.

So, it isn't really that useless.

But the other ponies really ARE good. Twilight Sparkles voice is amazing, she can go high and low and is really talented. Sweetie Belle is also talented, and she has a good voice, but it really isn't that spectacular compared to some of the others.

(edited)

Wait did a new episode come out where sweetie gets her cutie mark because if so why didn't anyone tell me?, or are you just guessing that that's her talent?

Headcannon from OP. :P

Anyways, the singing in episodes is purely for the sake of the show. That's why everyone sings beautifully. Like, in the High School Musical films, the basketball team was all against singing and dancing. Who sang and danced next? The basketball team. And they never acknowledged the sing/dance part, so therefore it was there for the movie's sake.

My point is that Sweetie Belle actually has a talent in singing inside the Ponyverse, while most of the other ponies have a singing talent for the show's sake. Therefore her talent doesn't suck. :3

EDIT: ERMAGHERD. I MADE THE WORST POSSIBLE GRAMMAR MISTAKE EVER! I wrote "singed" instead of "sang". T_T

Edited by caramba2654
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

Wait did a new episode come out where sweetie gets her cutie mark because if so why didn't anyone tell me?, or are you just guessing that that's her talent?

It isn't blatantly said that her talent is singing, but its shown in many situations. And like I said, in the Show Stoppers.

So...I guess I'm slightly guessing, but its backed up.

Headcannon from OP. :P

Anyways, the singing in episodes is purely for the sake of the show. That's why everyone sings beautifully. Like, in the High School Musical films, the basketball team was all against singing and dancing. Who sang and danced next? The basketball team. And they never acknowledged the sing/dance part, so therefore it was there for the movie's sake.

My point is that Sweetie Belle actually has a talent in singing inside the Ponyverse, while most of the other ponies have a singing talent for the show's sake. Therefore her talent doesn't suck. :3

EDIT: ERMAGHERD. I MADE THE WORST POSSIBLE GRAMMAR MISTAKE EVER! I wrote "singed" instead of "sang". T_T

Good point...But I think they all sing well, because sometimes they mention the singing. Like when Fluttershy sang about her cutie mark and Scootaloo was like >_>

Edited by Pinkie
  • Brohoof 1

Well, judging by modern day standards, that's a pretty debatable point.

But I agree, it's kind of obvious what her talent is, same with the other CMCs.

I've always thought of it as the singing in the show mostly has nothing to do with their actually singing ability, its more of they can sing because they need to for the song.

Sweetiebelle actually has the direct talent and is meant to be good at it, even without singing being required.

She of course still has a squeaky voice and no cutie mark, so its possible thats why shes not amazing sounding yet also.

She still sings pretty good though i think. But yeah the fact everyone in the show can sing is just for convince, in the shows context shes a talented singer.

Its hard to explain but thats my thoughts.

It is a little weird I suppose, but it sorta works in my mind.

• Brohoof 1

Well, considering her talent hasn't been confirmed yet; it isn't really fair to say her talent sucks.

But if it does turn out to be singing, I don't think it will suck at all. She actually appears to have an amazing voice, but it is usually restricted by her squeakyness that is most likely there due to her age. Once she gets older, I'm pretty sure she will have an amazing voice.

Just watch this video, and listen carefully to her voice. In general, her voice is pretty good; espescially considering how squeaky her voice is. However, sometimes she shows an amazing voice, but it isn't too often. I think that her voice just hasn't fully developed yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdX8knWqTIw

Well if she can sing very well, and probably better than anypony else can sing then it would probably be a special talent. So, I guess it would probably be a talent worth having as a cutie mark.

(edited)

I don't think so. After all, a talent is nothing more than "something you excel at", and even if singing isn't what one might call "useful" per se, a talent is a talent nonetheless. Not to mention there are plenty of other ponies in the show whose cutie marks are indicative of what must be rather lame talents, anyway.

Besides, when a character randomly starts singing in the show, I don’t think we’re always meant to believe that, in-show, the character actually stopped dead in their tracks and broke into song. That would be kind of stupid in real life, wouldn’t it? Personally, I differentiate between instances when characters appear to be singing in a performance setting (as with the CMC in The Show Stoppers), and instances where the writers appear to be using music merely as a storytelling medium.

Edited by Lowline Thrash
  • Brohoof 2

Well, in my opinion, while the songs she has sang so far have been good, she really hasn't had much of a chance to really put out a good one.  If you've ever heard Michelle Creber sing outside of the show, then you can tell that good things are in store for Sweetie Belle's singing talents.

• Brohoof 1

Where just presuming it, mainly from the episode with the CMC where they all enter the talent competition, it's really heavily implied what there talents are!

I think Sweetie Belle is a pretty good singer. I really liked her version of "Hush Now, Quiet Now".

We have yet to see Sweetie's magic abilities emerge, I think her talent will be connected to that somehow, like the way Rarity can locate gems. Hopefully we'll see this in the upcoming season.

To me, there's two different kinds of singing in he show- singing that actually happens, and singing that's just there for the audience. And the difference is If there is a reaction or some other indication that there was singing. The only time this has happened is some pinkie pie songs, the episode "The show stoppers", and both versions of "Hush Now Quiet Now".

Good point...But I think they all sing well, because sometimes they mention the singing. Like when Fluttershy sang about her cutie mark and Scootaloo was like >_>

When did that happen?

And yeah, sometimes they react to the singing, but when they do, they react like its kind of weird. Look at when Pinkie breaks into "Giggle at the Ghostly":

Twilight: Tell me she's not...

Rarity: She is...

That suggests that it's seen as strange to break into song. So unless there's a reaction or carry over of some kind I don't think they're actually singing.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm just waiting for Hasbro to throw a total curve ball at us with the CMC's talents. Watch Sweetie's special be something athletic.

Although if it does turn out to be singing, it would be because she would sing professionally. Rainbow and Scoots may sing here and there, and they aren't bad at it by any means, but it's not they're special talent because they wouldn't do it for a living if given the choice. If Sweetie's special talent is singing it will be because she wants to be "a singer" when she's older.

Then again you never know, maybe Scootaloo's special talent is singing...

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)
  • Brohoof 1

Sweetie Belle is still young and her voice is starting to change, with those voice crack she is often jokingly called Squeeky Belle. She just needs to grow and mature a few years and her voice will smooth out. If singing is her talent which it implies than that is actually a great talent to have, it means that she like her sister has a strong creative side albeit in a different way.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

There is a stark difference between a talent and an ability. I'm sure plenty of people can sing, but that doesn't make it your true talent. I can sing a little bit myself, but my true talent would have to be with drawing. This concept applies to me on many things- I am capable of writing a story, but that doesn't make it my talent.

Sweetie Belle seems to have extra potential with singing, thus making it quite the talent. 

Definition of 'Talent': 

1. Natural aptitude or skill.

Definition of 'Ability':

1. The capacity to do something.
Edited by fluffpudge

To me, there's two different kinds of singing in he show- singing that actually happens, and singing that's just there for the audience. And the difference is If there is a reaction or some other indication that there was singing. The only time this has happened is some pinkie pie songs, the episode "The show stoppers", and both versions of "Hush Now Quiet Now".

When did that happen?

And yeah, sometimes they react to the singing, but when they do, they react like its kind of weird. Look at when Pinkie breaks into "Giggle at the Ghostly":

Twilight: Tell me she's not...

Rarity: She is...

That suggests that it's seen as strange to break into song. So unless there's a reaction or carry over of some kind I don't think they're actually singing.

It happened in Cutie Mark Cronicles.

I agree, though. I don't think they are actually singing most of the time, I think its just for story telling.

I think they actually sang in:

Giggle at the Ghostly

So Many Wonders

The Show Stoppers

Hush Now Quiet Now

So I think its obviously shown that Fluttershy can sing.

I do think there is a difference between ability and talent. I just don't think its really that special if everyone has the ability.

And even if the other ponies can't really sing, its shown in the show. I don't know what Sweetie Belles talent could really bring to the show if the other's sing all the time. Thats like if it was shown that everypony took care of animals, then Fluttershy's talent wouldn't be that great anymore.