Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the word "Human" not allowed to be said?

Mzukiller

Looking back, Twilight never really asked what these clothed primates were. Is DHX just not allowed to say certain terms? Because it seems like they really do dodge naming things.

• Brohoof 5

If she had asked it would look a bit suspicious, or she could end up looking like an idiot. However if she had come across it in a book, say like an anatomy or a book on philosophy, it might have worked... maybe.

I don't think it's not allowed, it's just that ponies don't really know about humans so they don't reference them at all. But, you make a good point. Twilight probably found pictures of humans in a book.

I don't think it's not allowed, it's just that ponies don't really know about humans so they don't reference them at all. But, you make a good point. Twilight probably found pictures of humans in a book.

Ya but in the beginning when twilight asked herself what she was, I think that was to make us think ponies knew nothing about humans, or as I see it, colorful people with strange hair.

Now you mean pictures in a book as in the Library in ponyville, or in the school?

Ya but in the beginning when twilight asked herself what she was, I think that was to make us think ponies knew nothing about humans, or as I see it, colorful people with strange hair.

Now you mean pictures in a book as in the Library in ponyville, or in the school?

Yeah I mean the pictures in book in her library in Ponyville. But yeah, ponies don't know anything about ponies but they do have some assumptions on what humans look like, what you said.

I don't think they are trying to dodge the bullet on this one, I believe Twilight was more focused on getting the crown back from Sunset Shimmer...remember at one point in the movie she did question what she was, but think about it....she'd probably look like a complete doofus asking about her current state. It's not like she can walk up to someone and be like, "Hello, i'm Twilight Sparkle and I have no idea what I am! :D". 

• Brohoof 2

I don't think they are trying to dodge the bullet on this one, I believe Twilight was more focused on getting the crown back from Sunset Shimmer...remember at one point in the movie she did question what she was, but think about it....she'd probably look like a complete doofus asking about her current state. It's not like she can walk up to someone and be like, "Hello, i'm Twilight Sparkle and I have no idea what I am! :D". 

I thought it was weird when she couldn't walk, then just like that, she was able.

Seemed a bit suspicious, but that doesn't prove anything, it could've been their way of getting on with the movie.

I think it would've been funny if she started studying a person like what Pinkie Pie did when she met Twilight Sparkle in the gym.

Like others have said it really isn't against the rules, but since nopony knows what a human it'd seem extremely out of character if they were to suddenly know about them.

Words that you can see they constantly try to avoid:

-everyone (replaced with everypony)

-anybody (replaced with anypony)

-nobody (replaced with nopony)

-etc

I think that was to make us think ponies knew nothing about humans, or as I see it, colorful people with strange hair.

Yeah I like to think the same way: Seeing as how humans don't look like this, I refuse to believe those things in EqG are humans.

Like others have said it really isn't against the rules, but since nopony knows what a human it'd seem extremely out of character if they were to suddenly know about them.

Words that you can see they constantly try to avoid:

-everyone (replaced with everypony)

-anybody (replaced with anypony)

-nobody (replaced with nopony)

-etc

Ha, that very thing is why I always find it weird that Applejack says "...everyone it feeds" in Winter Wrap Up. It's funny that I do a sort of mental double take every time... odd to hear a pony say that!

• Brohoof 2

Ha, that very thing is why I always find it weird that Applejack says "...everyone it feeds" in Winter Wrap Up. It's funny that I do a sort of mental double take every time... odd to hear a pony say that!

Though it doesn't sound too out of place it seems like they always go out of their way to avoid saying things like it.

I'm willing to bet it was just an oversight by one of the writers.

Though it doesn't sound too out of place it seems like they always go out of their way to avoid saying things like it.

Maybe... although maybe Applejack was considering the fact that maybe not everyone who lives in Ponyville is a pony.

And yeah, it's funny because it normally doesn't sound out of place, but just in that one song I always expect her to say "everypony" and then she says "everyone". Meh, maybe ponies have just corrupted my brain.

But 'tis a good corruption.

Well maybe they aren't exactly humans. Think about it. They have strange colored skin and wierd colored hair. Perhaps the world of EG wasn't one of humans. But of something else.

I always thought that the ponies just didn't really know what "humans" are, maybe she didn't ask because well, that would probably come off as weird and attract alot of extra attention.

Thats just my thoughts, I don't think it has anything to do with some hidden rule of not being able to say human.

Where have they ever gone out of the way to avoid "everyone"? They replace "-body" with "-pony" only when talking about ponies but still use "everybody" when referring to other species...Where exactly is "everyone" avoided as a rule?

@@Xanatos: It's not forbidden, but it seems like the characters in the show avoid certain words like that. I'm not sure why the writers don't like the use of words with "body" somewhere in them, but who knows.

Because "everypony" is more fun to say. And they still use "-body" words for multiple species through the series, they just have a specific terminology for the ponies.

If it's just because Twilight would sound odd, then why not have her at least encounter "homo sapien" or "Human" in one of the many books she read on her first night?

I think the writers probably just missed or that, as a few others have said, Twilight was too focused on getting the crown back to care what species she was. While it wouldn't have seemed odd if she had asked the human versions of the Mane 6... err... 5 after pinkie pie told them all her "hunch" (which I think was probably the result of her reaching through the fourth wall and reading the script), Twilight was far to concerned with getting the crown at that point to care, as were the writers, probably.

Maybe they didn't want to bother saying it because it would be redundant. We already know what they are so why bother saying it. Maybe DHX cut it out to save time. The whole movie felt like they just wanted to get it out of the way like they really didn't want to make it but Hasbro made them. Perhaps they aren't human after all. Perhaps they are just humanoid beings but are completely different creatures all together. :blink:

I don't personally think Twilight was in a human universe as much as she was in an anthro universe. Humans don't have purple, blue, red, etc skin colors or Rainbow colored hair. Plus, she probably didn't go to Earth, but instead an alternate dimension. I mean, did we see any flags or globes of Earth?

I guess human wouldn't be a correct technical term. But I guess it was stupid she didn't ask what she was.

• 3 months later...

You know, you'd think that Twilight would do some research on the humans while she was in their world. I mean, she slept in a LIBRARY for crying out loud! I know she was set on getting the crown back...but wasn't she just a little bit curious? Seems odd to me. Considering Twilight is always eager to learn about things she doesn't know about. (Ex: Feeling Pinkie Keen) huh.png