Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Last of Us

Dr. Nefarious

Too bad this game sucks. It's pretty much Uncharted with bootleg zombies and a shit-ton of bad mechanics that i doubt they'll fix.

I don't believe in your existence, young sir. I believe The Last of Us is an AMAZING GAME!

Ask the person sitting next to me, he will slap you too. Senseless. Wildpaw will slap you senseless because you said this.

I don't believe in your existence, young sir. I believe The Last of Us is an AMAZING GAME!

Ask the person sitting next to me, he will slap you too. Senseless. Wildpaw will slap you senseless because you said this.

Oh really? So then how come all of the fungus head enemies kill you in 1 command grab? how come you can get a dead game cause you ran out of shivs? Why are the shooting mechanics bad in single player? 

(edited)

Love it so far, the story alone is fantastic and while not entirely original, its playing out in a far better way than i expected.

Combats a bit wonky, but it should be since your not a soldier trained to do this, just some schmuck stuck doing it.

Especially love the throwback to no waypoints, and having to actually find and learn things on your own as opposed to the hand walking most games give you these days wanted or not. This one actually has the option for most of it.

a nice blend of Splinter cell with zombie like enemies, plenty of stealth, and plenty of action.

still need to get into the MP, how is it?

Too bad this game sucks. It's pretty much Uncharted with bootleg zombies and a shit-ton of bad mechanics that i doubt they'll fix.

Shame that sounds like the general copy/paste response most of the games, never even played it, critics are throwing around... No literally, i've seen that same line posted all over the place for this game. Thankfully its very much the minority, and looking to be nothing.

TBH can't say i've played the adventures of Nathan Drake outside the demos (the 3 main games and the Vita one), and i'll be blunt, they're such straight tomb raider clones that i really never felt the want to buy one...

considered PSN+ which would get me at least one for free, but never for that alone..

Oh really? So then how come all of the fungus head enemies kill you in 1 command grab? how come you can get a dead game cause you ran out of shivs? Why are the shooting mechanics bad in single player? 

its called gameplay, your a HUMAN SURVIVOR not a soldier in a vast well equipped army, and the clickers are more powerful/dangerous than the runners.

Its designed that way, game even says you cannot defend against the clickers without an upgraded shiv or stealth kill them without a regular shiv.

Wouldn't be much on the survival part of its gameplay design if you were spoon fed ammo all the time....

So, true to life, you need to find components and MAKE your weapons from trash you find all about the levels.

And getting things to make shiv's is actually easy and far more common than ammo.

Edit:

Fine example of similar restrictive gameplay, go play the original Resident Evil games.  forget those modernized ones since RE4, their all jokes now.

Limited saves, and you had to FIND the typewriter ribbons just so you could save. Had to save at specific locations, not just anywhere. Horribly limited ammunition, and you actually were part of a well armed and trained force.

Beating bosses in that game required you have ammunition, so wasting it on random zombies wasn't smart, and dieing meant the possible loss of HOURS of gameplay!.

At least Last of Us lets you save anytime, preventing the long time frustration of hours of lost game play :/

Edited by GrimCW

It. Is. A. F#$%&/(. SURVIVAL. HORROR. GAME.

This is not Call of Duty 172: Post-Modern Nuclear War, this is a survival horror game. You need to be stealthy in order to survive. You need to keep your ammo for difficult parts of the game. You shot that guy in the head? Great. But now everyone knows you're there. You shot that clicker? Awesome, but one bullet is not powerful enough. And even worst, all clickers now you're there also.

It's about surviving, not killing everything on sight.

*gasp* this humanity...

(edited)

Even if so, his hand shouldn't be shaking when he's holding a gun if he has the courage to shoot it. 

Plus, they shouldn't be able to kill you in 1 hit. That makes no fucking sense.

..... I'm calling troll at this point...

It makes perfect sense, it actually makes more sense than 99% of other games where you can take a royal beat down from massive beasts and just stand back up as if nothing happened.

When jumped by the runners, they still have their brains in tact, and most nerves, making it possible to fight them off easier as they supposedly still feel pain or something presumably, they also don't have spores flinging from their faces. The clickers do not have most of this and are stronger, they put full force in and bite you, your infected, you die.

you CAN defend against them, but you NEED an upgraded shiv.

wheres the challenge in a game that didn't have any actual risk and just gave you all the answers? why play such a game, why not let it play itself at this point?

He's NOT A TRAINED SOLDIER, most people, even soldiers, will get shaky when holding a gun and getting ready to shoot. Or even after killing a person.

He's just some schmuck thrown into the pit, he's not a soulless, heartless SoB, he's a human being thats just trying to live.

Add a little realism (very little at that) to a game and people whine about it...

TBH given you've got Deus Ex and DeadSpace in you sig, one notoriously tough to the point it almost got ignored for years by most non "hardcore" players, and the other loaded with one shot player death traps, i find it interesting your arguing such a bad point.

Edited by GrimCW

Even if so, his hand shouldn't be shaking when he's holding a gun if he has the courage to shoot it. 

Plus, they shouldn't be able to kill you in 1 hit. That makes no fucking sense.

Have you ever shot a gun before? It's not that easy. Anyway, I'll give you a thumbs up just because the character is trained on this.

Now, clickers are supposed to kill you in 1 hit. That's the reason they are there as the thoughest enemies. Think about this as real life: If someone bites your neck and cuts your artery, are you supposed to be alive after it?

That's not Deus Ex. what? That's Albert Wesker from Resident Evil obviously.
Plus, it still makes no sense. It was said he is a trained SURVIVOR! Not a soilder. You don't need to be a solider to shoot a gun BTW.

Have you ever shot a gun before? It's not that easy. Anyway, I'll give you a thumbs up just because the character is trained on this.

Now, clickers are supposed to kill you in 1 hit. That's the reason they are there as the thoughest enemies. Think about this as real life: If someone bites your neck and cuts your artery, are you supposed to be alive after it?

I never said that. I'm just saying they shouldn't be able to do that until you have low health. THEN, they can kill you in a single grab, but at full health? GTFOH!

That's not Deus Ex. what? That's Albert Wesker from Resident Evil obviously.

Plus, it still makes no sense. It was said he is a trained SURVIVOR! Not a soilder. You don't need to be a solider to shoot a gun BTW.

I never said that. I'm just saying they shouldn't be able to do that until you have low health. THEN, they can kill you in a single grab, but at full health? GTFOH!

my bad, looked like the style used for Deus Ex. Still, applies, Wesker is from RE, and RE was far more unforgiving.

You don't need to be a soldier to shoot a gun, but you would need training to do it very effectively, and have constantly done it to be an emotionless automaton.

Again though, its called challenge, wheres the point in a game with no challenge?

Again i say, go try RE1 vs RE6 and do tell which is the tougher game, the one that had extremely limited saves/ammo and barely any health pickups, or the one with tons of free ammo, regenerating health, and autosaves...

Also do tell which one made the series famous, and which one is killing the genre..

• Brohoof 1

I'll admit RE1, 2, & 3 were the best, but that doesn't make Last of Us any more of a bad game. 
You don't need training to shoot a gun. Maybe heavy guns like LMGs, RPGs, or Snipers, but regular pistols and shotguns? Not really.

I'll admit RE1, 2, & 3 were the best, but that doesn't make Last of Us any more of a bad game. 

You don't need training to shoot a gun. Maybe heavy guns like LMGs, RPGs, or Snipers, but regular pistols and shotguns? Not really.

if you intend to hit anything and not waste your ammunition, yeah.. you would. First shot is easier, but most people don't hold it right and won't keep it steady without having been shown.

Pistols are IMO far harder to train and fire than a standard rifle, let alone Military style rifles.

1. The clickers kill you in 1 hit because it is more challenging that way. You can't let them grab you.

2. No, YOU ran out of shivs. You are supposed to keep them for whenever you need them. And not once in the actual story mode do you need a shiv to progress further.

3. The shooting mechanics are fine. Joel only sways his weapon around because he is a normal person. In real life, when you hold a gun, do you have it sit perfectly still or do you slightly have your arms move? It is for extra immersion. And once you have enough supplements you can upgrade that so you have less of that weapon sway.

Shooting a gun is harder than just pointing and shooting you fucking idiot. Go play Call of Duty and stop complaining about a great game because it doesn't suit your little fanboy mind.

• 1 month later...

As I was playing The Last of Us, I began to wonder what other people might think of it. I personally love it and think it is as close to perfection as you can get in a game. The gameplay is amazing, the story is compelling and moving and the ending left me thinking about what could have happened after.

What do you guys think of it?

Any favorite characters, scenes or overall favorite things in the game?

I felt the beginning was well made and greatly helped the player grasp and understand Joel a lot. Losing everything and the only thing you cared about can help harden and wisen a man. It also helped explain the ending and Joels actions. The point where I felt I truly began to understand Ellie was in the scene in the house after she ran away. I felt sorry for her and I realized that she never really has had anyone stay very long in her life... The characters in the game are just... Memorable. All of them. From Tess, to Sam and Henry.

Overall the game is just beautifully made.

Oh yea. SPOILERS..... you probably realize that by now though.... meh lol

• Brohoof 1

The characters are pretty good, the scenes are pretty well put together, and the gameplay is pretty perfect. Although, some people complain about the AI system in the game but everything else about the game is fantastic.

The last of us its easily the best game of this generation. Its not just a very f'ng good game it also teaches the entertainment industry how characters can be conceptualized and developed to create something, real, lovably and very linking to the player. 

This game just as Uncharted 2 and heavy rain are not just amazing pieces of game development but a step in the right direction of gaming evolution. No rambo's of the future, no "your decisions change the world" that ended in 3 colored explosions, no lies to the player. Just solid, remarkable, bold love and talent its in that game and anypony who likes videogames should give it a try. 

The characters are pretty good, the scenes are pretty well put together, and the gameplay is pretty perfect. Although, some people complain about the AI system in the game but everything else about the game is fantastic.

The thing is, if the AI was made smarter and noticed Ellie, then people would complain on how the Ellie was just a bother. The way I see it, having them not notice her was the better decision.

• Brohoof 3

I enjoyed my first playthrough of The Last of Us. But I didn't seem to feel any emotions when something happened to the characters.

The only thing that I hate about it is that the multiplayer is censored in PAL territories, for no good reason, just like Twisted Metal and the recent God of War were.

It wasn't Naughty Dog that censored it. It was SCEE (Sony Computer Entertainment Europe) that decided to censor it.

Damn it, YouTube!  I was actually trying to avoid spoilers for this one.  I didn't even watch a single video on this game, yet YouTube recommended a video for me with a title that totally spoiled the ending.

Video title:
Ellie Kills Joel

I'm really upset now.

Damn it, YouTube!  I was actually trying to avoid spoilers for this one.  I didn't even watch a single video on this game, yet YouTube recommended a video for me with a title that totally spoiled the ending.

Video title:

Ellie Kills Joel

I'm really upset now.

Not sure if serious... 

That's not the ending so there's no need to get upset. What are you waiting for? Go play/finish the game already! :catface:  

... and if this was some kind of joke that went over my head, well then just ignore this post. 

Not sure if serious... 

That's not the ending so there's no need to get upset. What are you waiting for? Go play/finish the game already! :catface:  

... and if this was some kind of joke that went over my head, well then just ignore this post. 

Oh, well now I feel better.  Still sucks that YouTube would be able to spoil the game when I don't want it spoiled.  I was even avoiding Last of Us videos for that reason.

And I will play the game!  Get off my back!

So I went to a comic shop a few weeks ago and wanted to pick up the comics for the game. They told me they are always sold out and are hard to keep in stock cuz everyone wants them. I got the first one via the Collector's Edition and it ended entirely too early.