Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is everypony naked?

Sugar Pea

I'm not sure if this topic was ever brought up or not but this is just the most humorous thing.  :lol: 
You know how the Mane 6 like to dress up for events every once in a while, like for example the Grand Galloping Gala?

So if they can dress up for events, why not dress up everyday? 
Lol, so wouldn't that mean they are basically walking around in the nude?  ^_^  

• Brohoof 3

This thread appears to be discussing MLP:FiM in some way, shape or form. Thus, it has been sentenced to Show Discussion.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

• Brohoof 3

That is a funny thing to ask! Who would have guess Hasbro approves nudist :)

However, I think dress from the ponies are more like accessories to make them look better. Like how people dress up a dog or cat. 

• Brohoof 5

I dunno, but I REALLY don't want to see ponies with clothes casually.

The dresses are cute and all, but seeing casual wear would just be lame.

Unless you are in freezing weather, ponies really don't have a reason to wear clothing. There aren't any parts to hide either.

Edited by Kobato
  • Brohoof 2

Their ponies!

They don't go by the same social norms as humans. It's natural for them to usually go without clothes. They already wear fur which covers up most of their private parts as well as provide warmth. 

It's not as disturbing as you think.

As adorable as the dresses and fancy attire can be on them...they shouldn't have to wear clothes all the time.

Overall, I prefer them to be naked... not to sound weird. 

• Brohoof 7

In the "pony culture", I guess you could call it, clothes are more of an optional accessory than anything else.

Some ponies opt to wear clothes constantly, mostly the ones who strive to be extra stylish or fashionable (Fancy Pants, Photo Finish, etc), but for ponies clothes are treated the same as hats or jewellery to us. That is, they're just decorating themselves.

With the exception of course of outfits meant to provide protection, like armour or cold-weather clothes.

• Brohoof 5

There is only one answer, and one answer that shall forever be implemented into this mind breaking question that plaugue many who wonder.... Sort of. XD 

Oh that infamous Applejack scene. What the writers of the show meant was "We don't normally wear clothes" but in everyone else's minds, it's "We're usually naked".

• Brohoof 5

Not really everypony is naked. Well, it really depends on what you consider "clothing." Some wear glasses, or jewelry. Doctor Whooves wears a tie. The Wonderbolts wear uniforms. So, in total. Not every pony is naked. My thinking level went through the roof there for a minute. Now, give me a minute, I have to pick up my brain from the floor. My face looks like this right now from all the thinking.

post-19338-0-81197700-1377923559_thumb.jpg

Edited by super2379

Some Pony's seem to always have clothing on.   Flim/Flam. Picture Perfect. Hoyty Toyty (yeah im probly spelling that wrong)

But for the most part yeah, they are ponies and have fur.  Clothing is optional and not required.   At least in their society they are mature about it.

• Brohoof 1

I think most, at least in ponyville, appear to be naked most of the time, and maybe in other areas too.  Not to odd.  Lots of cartoon characters are either naked or wear a shirt and or hat and that's it.  So it's not unusual. 

• Brohoof 1

I'd say that they are not naked, as they have natural coats, something that really is equivalent to natural clothing. Unless a pony has shaved their coat, they aren't naked.

This, and the classic 'there's no such concept as 'naked' in the world of ponies, you either are as you are, or you dress up if you want to be fancy', which is what I tend to go with.

• Brohoof 2

Well as far as ponies don't typically wear clothes, yes they are naked in that sense of the word.

However, the thing is ponies don't really wear clothes normally as part of their social norms, and frankly they really don't have to in most cases.

The two primary reasons people wear clothing are.

First of all to cover up private parts.

And second for warmth/protection.

Sure there are other reasons, but these i consider to be the primary ones(and the ones that work best in my explanation.

Now ponies have fur, which is more or less an animals way of having clothing.

In ponies in the shower(and to an extent even IRL ponies) the ponies fur act as their clothing basically.

It covers up their private parts, Ponies have been confirmed by Lauren faust via a tweet a while ago to reproduce like mammals, so in turn that means yes they have private parts, and therefore their fur must cover it, need i say more?(I hope not ;p)

And the 2ndly it offers them warmth in the winter aswell as slight protection, mostly from the sun I guess, but it does offer some skin protection. I'm not totally sure if ponies shed fur in the summer months(I forget, i guess i'll have to go study pony biology again sometime later ;p.) regardless, it offers warmth, this makes clothing for warmth in most cases unnecessary, depending on temperature.

Now that i've explained why I believe ponies really aren't as naked, or just have no reason to be clothed in most cases, I will mention a few things.

While they don't wear clothes generally, they do wear clothes on some occasions, and for similar reasons to humans to.

For instance ponies wear dresses and proper attire to formal gatherings or just anything more formal, and thus that helps them to look more formal or beautiful or whatever depending on the occasion.

Also, they wear them for extra protection from the weather, in a similar way we wear coats when shirts aren't enough to protect us from the cold, of course ponies do have a good bit of fur so it takes a bit more to make them cold then us generally.

And they can also be used as armor or protection from force or anything like that, not used much in the show, but still used.

And i suppose that about wraps things up, depending on how you look at it, ponies being naked isn't really as bad as humans being naked honestly.

And really, as much as i love the dresses and stuff some of the ponies wear, i do think it'd be strange seeing them always in dresses.

So call me weird, but i prefer the "Naked" ponies(Depending on your definition of the word ;p.)

• Brohoof 4

I don't think that fur completely covers their private parts - just look at some pony/horse pictures or see them live. Even if ponies have more/longer fur than horses, their private parts can still be seen from some angles or during some moves/activities. They just have a different approach to these issues than humans. For us nudists are odd, but for ponies nudism is a normal thing (or more accurately - naturism?).

They wear clothes only as jewelry and decorations or to protect from environmental conditions or from physical injuries.

I don't understand why this issue bothers some people, after all in most cartoons/animations animial characters are only partially dressed or don't wear clothes at all. I had never bothered whether ponies wear clothes or not, and I even more prefer to watch them naked, because clothed animals look too weird for me.
I have no problem with indecent thoughts - it's just a cartoon.

• Brohoof 1

As everyone has stated, they're not really naked per se, they just aren't wearing anything. Clothing seems to be more for fashion and warmth for them. I still do love the scene where Rainbow Dash pulls the covers off of Fluttershy and she covers herself blushing.

• Brohoof 5

A pony's casual wear is her coat. :lol:  Anything more is usually for a costume or an occasion. They don't think of themselves as naked, so I don't either.

Clothes have always been optional in cartoons, sometimes to comic effect. Such as the old U.S. Acres segment on Garfield & Friends, where Roy Rooster asks Lanolin the Sheep why she's always laundering clothes if "none of us wears any."

• Brohoof 2

Ima just keep it short and say that pony's wearing clothes would seem strange for me. On another note, my puppy and cat are also naked. Would you like for me to provide pictures?  B)

Edited by Sparkle
  • Brohoof 3

Yes everypony is pretty much naked.

I would presume clothing is reserved for special events, or to make yourself look more attractive (Reason why Ponies in clopics are wearing socks) It also could be used to show your status in society, hence why all your fancy ponies are wearing clothing while standard ones aren't.

• Brohoof 1

Yer I'm pretty sure this is right cos when they were getting ready for the gala I think spike wanted to come in rarity wouldn't let her cos they weren't wearing cloths then one of the said we never wear clothes rarity

• Brohoof 1