Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Shanks

This won't come as much of a big shocker to a lot of you because I am a pretty well know for being an Applejack fan but my favorite cutie mark origin story is Applejack's.

I like this story because it is about being true to yourself and appreciating what you have, Applejack tried to be somepony else in a classic "grass is always greener on the other side" scenario but realized she wasn't happy and came home. Not all of us will go into the family business or even have one to go into but alot of people try to be someone they are not because they are afraid of being judged or think someone has it better than them when that isn't always the case. 

• Brohoof 8

My favorite origin story is, Rarity's. It is because, she thought that at first that she would not pass off as a fashionista but in the end when she was able to put together gems to put on the dresses it showed that even when your not able to find your talent right away you will be able to find what your talent truly is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IreJoQw588g

• Brohoof 4

Idk, i frankly like them all so its hard to say really, they all have their own little bits and pieces i like.

I'm gonna just go ahead and say Twilight's just because i enjoyed watching her go all super pony and stuff. 

Not to mention this is adorable <3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpgy21r_dRE

Although they all have something to them.

I will say that Rainbow is a pretty good story teller actually, i mean her story is certainly the most emphasized and enjoyable narration, even if its because of her slightly narcissistic personality.

I like the whole episode in general, and the stories all though, i love backstories, and these where great.

Not to mention fillies look adorable <3.

• Brohoof 3

It should come as no surprise that my favorite cutie mark origin story is also Applejack's.

I find that it's absolutely fascinating that Applejack wasn't always so content and dedicated to her farm life, because we're so used to seeing Applejack working hard on the farm with a smile on her face. Otherwise, I never would have guessed there was ever a point in time where AJ wanted to leave the "muddy old apple farm" and seek out a life of sophistication in Manehattan with her upper crust relatives. I mean come on, the episode shows filly Applejack talking like Rarity for Celestia's sake! In any other episode, we can plainly see that Applejack has a bit of a distaste for the hoity toity lifestyle, froufrou outfits, and fancy words and phrases. That's why It's so intriguing that there was ever a moment in time when Applejack wanted to be those things.

When her Aunt and Uncle Orange tried to turn AJ into a "true Manehattanite," it was a rude awakening that made Applejack realize just how good she had it on the farm, and how much happier she was with with her Granny and brother, as they loved her unconditionally and had no desire to change AJ in order to better fit in with society. This story ties into Applejack's element of honesty in a very important way. Applejack tried to be someone she wasn't and ended up learning a lot about herself in the process, eventually becoming more true to herself than ever. Applejack's not about fancy talk, bigwig hairstyles, and insect-sized meals. Applejack speaks informally, is a bit messy, and has the appetite of a full-grown stallion. Despite that, she's a heck of a lot more genuine than some snobby city ponies.

There's a few minor details I really liked about Applejack's story too. I get a chuckle out of that random stallion who tells Applejack, "Hey! Outta the way, you rube!" It's a stereotypical rude New Yorker joke, and for whatever reason I find it amusing. xP

• Brohoof 3

Even though Rarity is my favorite pony, I loved Applejack's cutie mark story a lot more. It was just so adorable and sweet to me. 

89605.gif

It was just so adorable and sad to watch. 

• Brohoof 1

I like Flurrershy's. For one, we get to see filly Fluttershy and its effing adorable and two, we get to see filly Fluttershy singing, and it's effing adorable!

What more can I say?

I like Fluttershy's story the most. She lived her entire foalhood in Cloudsdale, always bullied and never knowing the beauty of the world below her. Not only does she find her special ability and get her cutie mark, she finds friends and joy. I love how it changed her life so drastically, beyond the obvious.

Plus it was effing adorable...

My favorite would have to be Applejack's. Even though Rarity is my favorite pony, Applejack's cutie mark story was just adorable to watch.

Plus, she looks really cute as a filly. :wub:

favorite cutie mark origin story is Applejack's.

That too buddy.

Her backstory was quite interesting and I did fell sad for her when she shed a tear, and seeing her reunite with granny smith and big mac always makes me shed a tear of joy.

That and she just looks so adorable.

I CAN'T CHOOSE!! They're all really nice and I loved seeing all the fillies. But I guess if I have to pick I have to choose Pinkie's. Sad that no one has put it here yet :( I can see that AJ's is the most popular so far so CONGRATS!!

I just like Pinkie's because we get to see mainly where Pinkamena came from. She used to be sad and never smiled, so it gave me feels watching her like that because she's so happy all the time :lol: It was weird finding out that she wasn't always this happy and I really love how her party fever came to be. :lol:

My favorite cutie mark origin story is either Pinkie Pie's or Applejack's. It's a really tough choice for me. Because both stories go into some really interesting depth and detail on the two ponies' background stories.

Applejack's was really interesting because it shows how she at one point in time, decided to leave the farm and live with her richer and more opulent relatives, only to eventually realize that that wasn't where she belonged. Her cutie mark, her destiny, is at the farm with her family. Overall, it was just a really sweet story.

Pinkie Pie's was also really interesting, as well as a mind boggler. Before watching the episode I had no idea where that crazy lovable pink pony came from, and I didn't expect that she was at one point, sad and miserable. So it's amazing to see how she changed for the better. :)

I liked them all actually, I probably like Rainbow and Fluttershy's the least though, since we're not exactly sure what happened afterwards, I mean you'd think Fluttershy would return to Cloudsdale or something but we're left to wonder if she just stayed on the ground by herself or not...

Anyway, Rarity's is probably the funniest, Applejack's is the most touching, Twilight's is the cutest, and Pinkie's is the happiest, I think anyway.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

I had a thread/forum/whatever about this but it got merged with this one :/

Which cutie mark story is your favorite? :catface:

AppleJack: AppleJack lived at Sweet Apple Acres, an apple farm, however she didn't want to be a farm pony and left for Manehattan to try and live the sophisticated life. After several days living Manehattan with her aunt and uncle, she found that she didn't like the big city. A few nights later, when she was confused and didn't know wether to stay at Manehattan or head home, a rainbow appeared, pointing right to her farm, Sweet Apple Acres! She decided to follow the rainbow back to her house, and then she realized that all she wanted to do was farm apples.

Fluttershy: At flight school high in the sky, the young Fluttershy struggled with flying. While a few bullies were teasing Fluttershy about her weak flying skills, RainbowDash appeared and defended Fluttershy. RainbowDash was then challenged to a flying race against the bullies to defend Fluttershy's honor. At the start of the race, the bullies and RainbowDash accidentally knocked Fluttershy off of a cloud, and sent Fluttershy plummeting to the earth! Inches away from her death, a swarm of butterflies appeared, catching Fluttershy and saving her life. Fluttershy had never been so close to the ground before, and she became amazed with all of the animals around her. Suddenly, a giant rainbow colored blast filled the sky, sending the frightened animals sprinting back to their nests and dens. Fluttershy then went to soothe the terrified creatures, and was able to coax all of the animals back out into the forest. It was then, that Fluttershy discovered her love of animals.

Rarity: At school, Rarity was put in charge of the schools plays costume design. At a rehearsal, she felt as if her costumes had yet to be perfected. She took the costumes home, and tried to find what they lacked. While searching for something to change or add to her costumes, her horn lit up, and lead her to the middle of nowhere, and she ended up being taken to a giant rock. Rarity became outraged that her horn had taken her away from her work just to lead her to a plain boulder. A giant rainbow colored blast then filled the sky, shattering the rock and revealing a giant collection of gems hidden inside. Rarity was amazed at their beauty, and took them home and added them to the costumes, perfecting them. Rarity then discovered her love for gems, diamonds, and anything fancy of rare!

TwilightSparkle: As a young filly, TwilightSparkle wanted nothing more than to see the Summer Sun Celebration! Twilight was in awe over Princess Celestias magic and power, leading Twilight to devote her life to learning about the powers of magic. Because of her passion and talent of magic, her parents decided to enroll her in "Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns". Before she could enroll, she was required to take an entrance exam! The entrance exam consisted of one task, which was to hatch a dragon egg! TwilightSparkle was struggling to use her magic powers because of her nervousness, until a giant rainbow colored blast filled the sky, scaring Twilight and somehow enabling her to hatch the egg, revealing a cute baby dragon that we all know as Spike! TwilightSparkle suddenly lost control of her powers, accidentally leading her to cause havoc, but she couldn't do anything about it! Princess Celestia walked over to Twilight Sparkle, and put her hoof on her gently, soothing the little filly and giving Twilight control over her horn once again. Princess Celestia realized all of the talent TwilightSparkle had, and offered her a spot at "Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns" as her apprentice! TwilightSparkle then discovered that her cutie mark had appeared on her back.

PinkiePie: While working at her families rock farm as a little filly where there was no smiling, laughter, or talking allowed, a giant rainbow colored blast filled the sky! The rainbow that had been left behind from the blast filled PinkiePie's heart with joy and happiness! She wanted to share all of the joy and happiness that she had just experienced with her sad family too. PinkiePie spent all night creating a wonderful party that she was sure her family would enjoy, and enjoy they did! PinkiePie then realized that she loved making other people laugh and smile, which earned her cutie mark.

RainbowDash: She was racing Fluttershy's bullies to defend her friends honor. As the race began, Rainbow Dash quickly took the lead! She was going so fast, that the bullies hardly stood a chance against her. While flying, she felt freedom that she had never felt before! Out of nowhere, one of the bullies purposely flew into RainbowDash, making her stumble. Angry, RainbowDash flew as fast as she could, knocking the bully out of the way, and going so fast, that she created THE Sonic Rainboom. The rainbow colored blast created from the rainboom was seen all throughout the land of Equestria. And it was then, that RainbowDash discovered her need for speed.

Edited by Midnight Storm

I like Applejack's the best, because it was about her discovering who she was and where she belonged in addition to what her talent was. You could say the same to some degree about anybody who gets their cutie mark, but I guess I like that Applejack got hers by being honest with herself about her identity as a member of the Apple family. Something about the way it's portrayed.

Second goes to Pinkie and Dashie, cause I also like Pinkie's epiphany about wanting to spend her life spreading joy, and flying fast enough to make your five future best friends hit puberty is pretty dang awesome.

Rarity had the most entertaining, for sure :D

I agree, Rarity's was the funniest! I thought it was hilarious when she got angry at her horn for taking her to a giant rock. :muffins:

Edited by Midnight Storm
  • Brohoof 1

I would like to say here that my favorite cutie mark origin stories might be more those that have NOT been shown rather than those we've already seen. For example...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNmfp2n6KlQ
This might not be canon... it might also be not as impressive as other cutie mark origins but i still bet my money that the cutie marks of the Princesses are sure to at least rival those of the mane 6.

Rarity's is my favorite to watch and experience; she's just so expressive I love "A ROCK!? That is my destiny?! WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM HORN!?" 

I also really like Pinkie's though. It's so cute to see her family and where she's from and how she helped them :3

I like both rainbow's story and fluttershy's cutie mark origin stories.

How rainbow dash stopped the other Pegasus from bullying fluttershy was awesome.

I also lol @ how rainbow dash was pretty much the cause of the mane six getting their cutie marks.   

Pinkamena (Pinkie Pie) and Fluttershy's cutie mark story topped it for me. Its a no brainer, really. 

Pinkie Pie is the total opposite now than she was back then. It was odd to hear that such a bright pony had such a bleak..well, 'laughterless' life. I mean, they didn't really even knew how to smile, they struggled just smiling. To see her go from bleak to bright just seemed so amazing. It built her character tremendously and we understand why she does what she does: the party wasn't what gave her the cutie mark in the end, it was the part that they were actually having fun, smiling, and just basking in life that they never experienced. To see a double meaning to what the cutie mark represents is remarkable.

Fluttershy's was amazing because it shows how sheltered she truly was and we understand why she became the way she had. It also gives insight to the pegasi. Not only that, but we seen a sad portion of life she had to endure, but she sees that there is a brighter side, seeing the beauty of the world below her to make her overcome her sheltered Cloudsdale life. Plus, ponies like to state that RD was the one who did the rainboom thus causing the others. I feel that, yes, RD did cause it and in turn, it helped the others, but...if she didn't defend Fluttershy, she wouldn't have done the rainboom. ;) In reality, Fluttershy made us have the ponies we have today. 

I like both rainbow's story and fluttershy's cutie mark origin stories.

How rainbow dash stopped the other Pegasus from bullying fluttershy was awesome.

I also lol @ how rainbow dash was pretty much the cause of the mane six getting their cutie marks.   

I agree, but wasn't it Fluttershy really the cause? RD wouldn't have done the race if it weren't for Fluttershy being bullied, and if it weren't for RD and the colt pushing past her, causing a spin, she wouldn't have seen the ground~ Karma's amazing, isn't it?

• Brohoof 2