Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Beyond these Walls: An adventure through Equestria. (Applications open!)

The Elusive Cinder

Aphelion remained quiet and looked at the map and studied it 

"Not that far of a joruney",he thought,"Oh well might make the fun out of most of it."

"Patheic and short if you ask me", the voice said with a snaral

"Shut up", he thought,"I'm trying listen to the leaders plan,someone is bound is ask."

"True and considering the number of ponies in this group some might go missing or worse"

"That is no why to think I'm pretty certian a good number will live", he thought back

Edited by COBLoneWolf

@,

Blast nudged over and looked at the map. There was nothing there to indicate the location of this ruin.

"Looks like we'll probably need to scale Neighagra Falls to find this ruin." Blast assumed that the ruin was actually INSIDE the falls. The entrance was probably obscured by the gallons of water falling down that thing. That was, until the first guy that found this scroll found the entrance first. "I don't think it's going to be that easy, Red. There's gotta be some sort of catch to this."

From what Sand Veil could tell, they didn't have to go too far. The way she looked at it, the sooner the journey was over, the sooner she could get away from the ponies, but possibly stick with the dragon. Well I better start by getting to know him then... She thought. She walked over to talk to the dragon, but stopped a short distance away, not wanting to talk to him yet.

Pavisa walked along quickly, eager to be on their way.  She was staying rather quiet:  not so much as some of the other ponies in the group, but she wasn't going to speak up while everypony else was at once.  Sheesh, bring up how dangerous the mission is and suddenly everypony turns into an instant expert...  She was trying really hard not to pass judgement based on first impressions, but it was getting more difficult as the group got larger.  Once Redwave brought out the map, she took a careful look before stepping out onto the road in front of the rest of the group.  

@

"If somepony who knows the way will navigate, I volunteer to take point."  Pavisa wasn't trying to be brash or impatient, though it would be nice to be on the road.  The way she figured it, the pony in front was going to be the one most vulnerable to a possible ambush by this mysterious rival for the "book".  She just preferred that it was her and not one of her new allies, despite how she may personally feel about some of them.  If anypony is going to be taking a surpise hit, it should be one of the ones in armor after all...  And that may as well be me.

(edited)

@,

Rolling the map up and stowing it carefully - or at least, hanging it loosely by his side - Red smirked at the suggestion of trouble.

"Of course there will be a catch! We are speaking of a relic which dates back to before the sisters reign, a relic which has persisted untouched until most recently. Would it not be more suspicious for there to be no catch at all?" He said mirthfully.

@,

"As you say, madame." Red said with a flourishing bow. "Kingfisher! I expect you know the way, yes?"

"Aye Cap'n!" She answered dutifully.

"Then why do we still find ourselves in this poor excuse for a city? Set course, we are leaving! Pavisa here will take the lead."

@,

@@COBLoneWolf,

@@Icy Void,

@,

@@Kulstor,

@,

@,

@@SilverHeart,

Edited by Cinderscribe

@,

Blast smirked at Red's comments. He was definitely prepared for anything.

"You charge into your problems always expecting more danger out of it. I like that." He said with a slight chuckle. "I can tell we're gonna be good friends." He said, slightly shaking his hoof. "I expect by your cutie mark that you're a swashbuckling adventurer like me. What kind of perils have you overcome in your time?" He asked, trying to start up a conversation.

Edited by Stevenearthpony

After hearing that her request to take point was approved, Pavisa nodded and turned towards the road.  The mare wasted no time in getting going, eager to be on the way.  She didn't wait to see what order the party was following in, though she assumed that Kingfisher was going to be fairly close in order to give directions.  

@

"How much ground do you expect we can cover?  The distance didn't seem far, but this large of a party is going to be slow going."  The young guard kept her eyes ahead as she spoke, honestly not even sure anypony was within earshot.  They were barely even leaving Canterlot, but she was cautious.  Pavisa wasn't going to walk into a trap blindly if she could help it, so she was focused on scanning the horizon from beneath the shade of her helmet.

@,

"Two days." Grumbled Kingfisher, jerking her head back towards the group behind them. "With these for cargo? Double."

She was happy enough to be guiding the way: the guard at least didn't seem the type for frivolous behavior and might be an asset after all. Less could be said about some of the others though - not least of all the arrogant mare somewhere back behind them.

"Crystal Mountains next if we miss it." She said with a sigh as she resolved to the fact that she might as well try to speak a little more with the one she was working with. "Fifty bits says we miss it."

"Makes we can only move as fast as the slowest of us." Rakon said.  He looked at the map before it was put away, "is there any information known about the area we are going to?" he asked thinking any information may prove handy to have.  "At least we have some flyers, that should be handy to have, and other types of ponies also." he said.  He wasn't sure of the different types of ponies, how many there were or what they all did, but having a mix of them he thought should prove the most handy then having only one type.

Edited by Kulstor

@,

Blast was pushed back by Kingfisher's comment.

"Who're you calling cargo?" He asked in a slightly angered tone. "I'll let you know right now that nopony or dragon here is more important than anypony else. We've all been called here to help you and your captain find this piece of paper. Even if I wasn't called in, if I knew you needed assistance, I'd still come." He said, making sure his point was getting across as clear as day. "Nopony will hold any of us back. We need to be a team thick and thin through this."

Edited by Stevenearthpony

@,

Redwave could hardly contain himself: the jaunty smirk was in danger or breaking into a most un-dignified bout of laughter at any moment. He tapped Blast on the shoulder to get his attention.

"If you are hoping that you might appeal to her better nature, don't wast your breath - I do not believe she has one."

@

Pavisa smirked, one of her ears flicking.  "I'll take that bet."  She spared a glance back at the group following them, her helmet serving to mostly hide her expression.  She turns her gaze back to the road ahead as she continues.  "Probably the worst one I'll make, but I've never had any luck gambling.  Maybe this time I'll finally get lucky."  

She tried to make small talk as they walked, to take her mind off of the journey if nothing else.  She was glad that the other mare was talking with her, she seemed easy enough to get along with.  "The Crystal Mountains are a lot longer of a trip.  I haven't been that far from Canterlot before."

((I can't remember, who had the dragon OC? I need to know so I can mention them from now on.))

Sand walked over to the dragon, and decided it was a good time to get to know him. If she couldn't get to know normal Equestrians, maybe she would have a better chance fitting in with somepony who lived closer to her home. "Hello." She said to him quietly. She wasn't normally the most talkative pony, but she was going to make an exception this time.

@,

Blast simply rolled his eyes. He always believed in his heart that there was good to be found in anypony. He'd hope to try to find that good in the mare.

"Oh, I'll appeal to her better nature. It'll just take time..." He said, drinking water out of his canteen. Blast could slowly see Neighagra Falls on the horizon. He quickly threw on his brown adventure hat and determination quickly filled up his eyes. "I'm telling you, the ruin is INSIDE the falls. Most adventurers who tried to find it probably missed it because it was obscured by the gallons of water falling from that thing every second." He speculated.

"Well, if we end up having to go to the Crystal Mountains then this little expedition may take awhile. I've only been through those mountains three times, and none of those were pleasant. And I have a feeling we may miss the Litany at the falls, it's never that easy." Midnight said, cautiously joining into the conversation to get to know some of his companions better. 'That and I'm never that lucky. Irony dictates that we'll have to travel all the way north to the Crystal Mountains, one of my personal least favorite places in the world. I just hope this will all be worth it in the end.' Midnight added to himself.

"I must agree that the ruins be inside the falls, there is just no way a structure like that could be missed at Equestria's biggest tourist destination. As such, if it weren't inside the falls then it would have been discovered and placed under guard long ago." Blizzard said matter-of-factly. Blizzard was glad somepony here recognized that, and he wondered who else had but just hadn't said anything. He had no doubts that Midnight Sky shared the idea, and he suspected that Redwave and Kingfisher both also had that idea. Which if his suspicions are true, then Blizzard would be relieved that this expedition's crew was competent. Blizzard knew that he may yet have to protect his friend Midnight, but then that was his whole reason for tagging along uninvited, he just hoped that there were enough fighters in tthis group to survive a fight.

Aphrodite

"We better get moving. Who knows how close that menace is to the Litany is Magic book.. Let's just scout the falls and see what we got there, and if we don't find anything, we'll just move on and see what else we can find. That book is pretty strong; we'll need to find something to destroy it, too." For the first time on this expedition, Aphrodite had said something that doesn't have to do with herself.

@,

Blast slowed down and walked near Aphrodite.

"Wait, we have to destroy this thing, too? I don't remember that from the notice." He said. "Anyways, we'll probably need to search almost every square inch of the falls. As I speculated before, the ruin is probably obscured on the inside."

Silver Heart nodded to herself and smiled as she fell into the center of the group of ponies. The first thing that Silver Heart noticed was that the size of the group was far larger than she had planned for. "I really wasn't prepared for this kind of turnout...Oh Celestia I hope nothing happens to the whole group." She said to herself more than anyone around her. Mom probably wouldn't have been so underprepared. If somepony dies because of me she'll be so disappointed.

After taking a deep breath and exhaling she pushed the general sense of inadequacy to the back of her mind and listened to the conversations taking part around her.

@,

After listening to the one particular conversation Silver Heart approached Redwave "Um, excuse me Captain?" she asked quietly, "What exactly do you plan to do with this Litany after we retrieve it?"

Edited by SilverHeart

Chivalry looked around as everyone was asking all sorts of questions. "Wait, Hold up a minute. Say we do miss it, yeah? That means that we'd have traveled all that way for nothing. But I have a plan, Why not we split into two groups, yeah? Then one group goes to neighagra falls and the other group goes to the Crystal Mountains, that way, if the group that goes to the falls misses it, then the group at the Crystal mountains will already be there to catch it. It's a flawless plan, yeah?" Chivalry stated his plan optimistically hoping that they'd agree with him.

Aero Strongheart laughed quietly at the ponies as he remained behind the group silently, recommending and voicing no opinion. Many were selfish in their hearts and others were most obviously competing for a leadership role...that could prove difficult later on but either way, surely they would still reach their destination. Aero's ear flicked a little at Chivalry's idea and allowed a grin to creep up his muzzle. The group appeared to have no lack of strategy...but they lacked order. The stallion looked to group again and flexed his wings to keep them spry, remaining silent as the group proceeded to their objective.

Edited by Aero Orchard

@Blazing Hoof

"Hello, how are you doing?" Rakon asked, glad that someone talked to him.  He guessed his being a dragon may be the reason no one had talked to him before.  "You been on anything like this before?  First time for me." He said, as a way to have a topic they could talk, or at least comment on.  He looked at the others present, quite a large group, he thought again.

(I'm the one who has the dragon oc. )

Edited by Kulstor

@,

"And how would you hope to find it? Besides, should the ruins be anything like the ones up north I shall have need of you all if we are to act quickly enough. That, and I would not trust a single one of you to not give in to temptation and foolishly attempt to read the Litany..."

@@SilverHeart,

"Which brings us to your question, Madame. I have no idea! To read from it is madness in itself, yet who are we to destroy such an ancient thing? Right now, we find it - we shall burn that bridge when we cross it, or however the saying goes."

@,@,

"So, we have no plan beyond getting this litany? That's smart." Blasted commented with a sarcastic tone. "Besides, I agree with this guy. If we split up into two group, we'll cover more ground than we could just going together, therefore finding this thing faster." Blast said, agreeing with Chivalry's plan. "Plus, I doubt this thing will be much of a problem for me or anypony else. I've never been a big reader, anyways, I don't think this piece of paper is going to suddenly change that just by simply looking at it." He said, hoping to convince Red to consider.

@Blazing Hoof

"Hello, how are you doing?" Rakon asked, glad that someone talked to him.  He guessed his being a dragon may be the reason no one had talked to him before.  "You been on anything like this before?  First time for me." He said, as a way to have a topic they could talk, or at least comment on.  He looked at the others present, quite a large group, he thought again.

(I'm the one who has the dragon oc.)

((Okay, good to know. I kinda lost track with all the people in the group))

"I travel a lot actually, but I've never been in this big of a group." Sand said. "I'm more used to doing things alone like I did back home." She added. She always did things alone when she still lived in the Badlands, so she was more used to that than anything else.

@,

@,

They argued a very valid point but knowing that he might not be the one to find the Litany... He was Redwave - He had a reputation to maintain! Not to mention the lack of knowledge of exactly how dangerous this was likely to be...

"Listen! We shall discuss such frivolity later at..."

"Cap'n?"

"What now?" He snapped harshly.

Falling back to better speak her mind - something she usually refrained from doing - Kingfisher spoke up.

"Wouldn't hurt to send 'em ahead - cut off any ahead of us." She muttered. "Since we dunno how much of the thing he's read: use 'em as a shield to slow him down if we're late. We can spare a few lives for it..."

@,

"... send the ones who can't follow orders." She said, glaring at Aphrodite out of the corner of her eye.

Red placed a hoof against his head as if pained.

"This is exactly why I sail without a crew! We shall discuss this tonight I say! Should you not be navigating?" He grunted.