Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Music Source?

Kaneki

Streaming (Spotify, etc), MP3 stores or the radio, how do you get music?

I use Spotify. I cannot afford 99 cents (or $1.29) a pop but I can afford $10 a month, plus I'd prefer not to pirate.

To listen to music I'm interested in listening to, I use YouTube. To put songs/pieces I end up liking in my collection, I either purchase them off of iTunes or get the album itself.

I buy all my music in physical copies, be it a CD, vinyl, cassette, or anything else.

As long as I get something tangible for my money, I'm happy.

I would do that myself.... if Borders in my town stayed open, but nope, bankrupt.

The closest independent record store is way down in Indianapolis, and I really do not like our local Barnes and Noble as they seem to always be understaffed so not always the best service.

I always try to get CD if it's possible. If not so far I was buying music on bandcamp, because this is where it was availible so far if there was no way to get physical copy. I also listen to music on YouTube, it is place where I found most of bands I listen to today. 

I refuse to reveal my methods, but I generally learn of my songs from YouTube, and then decide whether or not I'm going to run out and buy the album. When I got into Avenged Sevenfold, I found all the albums online. Now, I'm actively out looking at thrift stores for them, just in case I can grab them for a good $5 or so. Basically, I run by the mantra 'Like it? Buy it later down the road if I can find it. Not sure if I like it? Find it online, download it, then erase it if I don't like it.' I would DEARLY like to support our musicians, but...*shrug* It's getting increasingly more difficult to find certain albums in a physical CD format, due to the move from physical to digital media.

I know for a fact that I pirated Enema of the State (Blink-182) and Sticks and Stones (New Found Glory) a while back, then more recently found both at a thrift store for $5-6 apiece. Instantly grabbed them, of course. I'm still on the lookout for other albums that I need, so...yeah.

I've also discovered Pandora again, so that could be considered one of my many methods.

Edited by Reiji Moritsugu

I buy music from iTunes but I've been starting to buy music on CD more. The way I find music is just by looking around on the internet. Sometimes I use Last.fm, but I think I find more by going on google and searching something like 'What is a band like [band name here]' and then seeing what pops up. I prefer not to pirate things as well.

Edited by DragonFlame

Now I buy mostly CD copies of music but since I got a record player i've started to buy vinyl records every once in a while.

I also use websites such as Beatport,Bandcamp and iTunes for downloads if it's more convenient or a hard to find song.

• Brohoof 1

It’s a bit of a mix:

My vinyl records I get from mainly charity shops and when I go to one (not many in my area) second hand record stores: not a fan of buying vinyl online apart from the odd occasion: going off topic a little but it’s just less exciting and adventurous than finding classics by chance.

MP3s I buy from Amazon or Juno or whoever’s selling the songs or music I want apart from I-Tunes.

I don’t bother with CDs for playing: I buy them then convert them to MP3 then stick them in a draw.

It depends on what is available for me, really. But mostly I use spotify. Otherwise I just use youtube.

Sometimes I also like to use soundcloud, because it's higher quality than youtube. smile.png

Edited by ProjectRKA

When I find an artist I think I might like, I download their discography. If I actually do like the artist, I try to buy the music through them either on their website, bandcamp, etc. before going through iTunes 

These are my sources and why I use them

1. Buy the CD: If it's on CD, I try to find it used. For instance, I found the self-titled album by Collective Soul at a used CD store for $3. With 12 tracks, that comes out to a quarter a song. Not a bad price. Also, I give most preference to buying the CD because mainstream media offered online is in MP3 or AAC format. I consider myself an audiophile. I want the best format i can get so I buy the CD and rip the songs as WAV, FLAC, ALAC. 

2. Bandcamp or Beatport: I go here when I can't find the CD and if they're not mainstream. They offer a pretty good price and I can download music in FLAC or ALAC. 

3. iTunes or Amazon: When I can't find the CD or if it's not on Bandcamp or Beatport and I really want the track, I'll buy the song on iTunes or Amazon. This is a last resort, though. 

4. I don't pirate music so if I can't find it anywhere but on YouTube, then I'll dump the video into a playlist. Usually, artists like AcousticBrony and Sim Gretina will stick links that go to Mediafire where you can download the song in the description. But if there is no download link, I'll just listen to it when I'm on YouTube. It includes mainstream songs I don't own yet. 

Edited by Space Woona