technology Thoughts on Google+?

Revy ~ Two Hands

Google Plus really sucks, It's broken so many things to do with YouTube it's hardly believable at this point. There are so many things wrong with it that I couldn't even begin to cover it in a single post and I doubt anyone else could either. So I started this thread  laugh.png My main problems with Google Plus can be summed up in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zIZI5bq1RY

• Brohoof 34

Agreed: I don't like Google+ and  this new setup for YouTube comments is stupid: YouTube is getting worse. And yes I’ll probably get used to it like everything else like layouts and such, but really YouTube was fine before Google started having a go at breaking it 

• Brohoof 22

It's because they are trying to force people to join google+, it even automatically converted my youtube account into a google+ account WITHOUT ASKING ME. This itself is obnoxious, I just want to watch the videos I like, comment occasionally, and leave it at that, not this social networking crap.

• Brohoof 19

Google + is BS. It kept trying to make my YouTube name my real name, which was BS, and then they keep making all these stupid, unnecessary changes to the site itself.

What are they accomplishing by doing that, anyway? What's the point? I can't see one at all. Stupid.

• Brohoof 14

Google+ is such a waste of time. It shouldn't be combined with Youtube at all. Youtube was (albeit) fine the way it was, now I can't hardly go through comments anymore without things bein' 100 times more difficult than it needs to be.

• Brohoof 8

G+ Screws everyone over. My actual name was on YT for ages before I worked out how to change it- that ain't good! Especially when there's only about 12 other people in the world with my exact name! It's completely messed with YT to the point it's hard to use, unfriendly to users, and a general arse. Down with G+! It's useless anyway, NO ONE uses it properly really!

• Brohoof 3

My main peeve with Google + is Youtube telling me that I "NEED TO CHANGE MY NAME TO JAK ROBINSON INSTEAD OF IAMONEGUYZ YOU BLOODY IDIOT". I feel like I'm being patronised because I prefer internet explorer to Google Chrome.

Yes, I said it.

But the true use of the internet is creating stupid gifs that will never be able to be used in a serious way on forums, like this one

img-1989480-1-tumblr_m5f3uyQdLT1rnvlqy.g

Edited by Musix
  • Brohoof 7

gplus1.png

gplus2.png

gplus3.png

This is honestly what I think of this whole thing. I've been using YouTube since 2006 and Google has only progressively made it harder and harder to use it. Hiding features behind more and more clicks, downright removing them for bullshit reasons, adding in features that nobody wants or needs, and now they're forcing you to get Google+ just to use a basic feature of YouTube.

Google should honestly just give up trying to make Google+ a thing. It won't work.

• Brohoof 11

I agree. Google+ should really just stop trying to be relevant. However, on Google's part, the move makes sense to integrate it into YouTube. People always seem to forget that Google owns YouTube. So why the hell should it not want to integrate them?

It's not like you have to use your IRL name on there, either. I use Youtube as my account, FarCycle, rather than with my real name. And I'm pleased that they're doing away with the comment system that promotes spam.

• Brohoof 5

And I'm pleased that they're doing away with the comment system that promotes spam.

Actually, the system they implemented will promote spam.

1. For spammers, flamers, and trolls, they have an obstacle in getting a Google+, but in order for them to get an account, they just need to sign up to Google+ to restart. My Google+ has been inactive because it's an inherently broken system with bad Web design, and I'm no fan of social media altogether because they're designed to integrate virtual and real life into one. I like keeping both halves separated.
  2. Unless you get a Google+, you can't moderate comments on any videos, including your own. Even the ones that were implemented one minute before Google+ and YouTube combined both systems. All of your notifications now are shipped to Google+, and no one wants it because it's a bad system. I CAN'T delete any comments on my YouTube unless I have a Google+ merged.
  3. YouTube previously had a 500-character limit to prevent large chain and character spam. Spam is an extremely big problem for the big name fans on YouTube, who have to continually review the comment boards and clean up the shit troublemakers leave behind.

With the character limit gone, you can have gigantic NSFW type imagery (much worse than a middle finger) and this:

SASAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

…multiplied by 10,000 times.

People always seem to forget that Google owns YouTube.

No one forgot at all. Google's getting bombarded with angry mail for what they did, and Google deserves the angry mail they're getting.

And there are many problems with the new system. Read these three posts from Hogfather in the SSMB. He explains the problems perfectly.

Particularly this excerpt from the first link:

If you have google+ and then delete it....

Your entire youtube account is deleted and all your videos gone, this is an unreversable action.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 6

What can I say here? 
No fucking shit it sucks! Since when have ANY decisions that Google has made on YouTube's part been GOOD or BENEFICIAL for the user base?
You should know by now to expect nothing but pure, and unadulterated crap from Google.

• Brohoof 5

I hate Google Plus. Both Google and Facebook need to quit changing shit on us. Lesson of the day is this: DON'T FIX WHAT AIN'T BROKE!

• Brohoof 7

Thank goodness I'm not the only one with this issue! I agree with

I just want to watch the videos I like, comment occasionally, and leave it at that

because that's also why I joined. I never had a Facebook or Twitter, and I'm not planning on getting either one.

By the way, I haven't yet watched the videos above, but I have a question. Does anyone have this issue where recent (last few days) comments have no "Reply" or rating buttons?

Also the captcha, why even make it pop up EVERY TWO comments? Not just for the third comment once, but also fifth and seventh and FUCK THIS IT'S USELESS DON'T YOU GET IT I'M NOT A BLOODY ROBOT

Edited by Feather Spiral
  • Brohoof 9

Does anyone have this issue where recent (last few days) comments have no "Reply" or rating buttons?

Yep, I have this same problem. Whenever I review a comment section, there are many where I don't even have the option to reply at all… And when I do, I get bombarded with the STUPID social network merging pop-up and don't have the option unless I agree with it! :angry:

In case you're wondering, each time I'm given the pop-up, I decline every time. ;)

• Brohoof 3

google plus does suck, and you all did a wonderful job at saying why. I hate the fact that i need one just for youtube now, it's so frustrating. i just wanna watch videos and comment every now and then but now i have to put up with this crap. i don't think anyone really likes G+...

• Brohoof 4

Google, you've been a cool guy. You got a nice browser and a revolutionary search engine that is now a household name. But why, why in God's name did you have to implement Google+ with YouTube? WHY? Google, get your heads out of your corporate asses and actually give a damn about what people are saying on the website. I mean sure, many YouTube changes got negative feedback. Sure, people moved on. But you kept doing it EVERY MONTH. Websites update to fix and improve upon features. It does NOT do whatever you want just so you can troll all of your faithful users. With this update, you've gone WAY to far. This update is seriously going to injure your user base. Also, you do know that comments are the backbone of the website, right? But nope, you messed it up. And also, why in the name of the LORD are you asking people to change your username to your REAL NAME? We have quirky and witty usernames for a reason here. A name like Bob Smith won't have a nice ring to it. So let us keep our usernames. And the best part about this is that you aren't going to listen to us. Yup. 

So, you people have gang raped the entire community once again. What's next? Are you going to fuck up the basics of what makes Google Chrome works? Are you going to throw all the things that makes your search engine good to make everyone mad? Are you going to be EA and Microsoft combined into one horrific asshole? Don't. And I know these people will not listen to me (But the NSA might do so), but just stop it Google. Please. You've tortured your fans enough. 

• Brohoof 10

And I know these people will not listen to me

pidsz.jpg

In all seriousness though.

There are some things that go way beyond being a simple step to draw in more users and more money. Initiatives that are blatant abuse of power, to make the customers' lives harder. Knowing their reputation is good enough so they don't feel threatened by competition from smaller but more careful companies.

This latest forceful merge, and the changes it brought to comments, are examples of such dickery.

• Brohoof 5

Google+ definitely does suck, thanks to Google's sudden change to Youtube once again the comment system is something that should not have been changed because there was nothing wrong with it to begin with. If it isn't broken, don't fix it and we all know that Google didn't get the memo that the change is unnecessary.

• Brohoof 4

My biggest problem is the way the reply system works on comments. You have to open a new tab just to see a comment chain, having a debate is impossible because of this now. Not to mention hash-tags, which I can't for the life of me understand, utterly glitching the inbox to hell, and turning the comment format into a Facebook page. Oh great patrons of google, we want to watch videos, not cover them in an unholy hybrid of facebook and twitter. One last thing that irks me, the default setting for comments is in top comments first. 

P.S Forgot to add that half of the comments are missing their "in reply to" button. So either you open a new tab if you're lucky or have to search through dozens of comments to find to original

• Brohoof 6

I want to kill Google for all the stupid changes they've made to Youtube. KUbAnTY.png  Youtube was so much nicer BEFORE they owned it, so maybe they should take that into account.

For God's sake, Google, stop forcing us to use Google+ and make our Youtube usernames our real names! Just piss off and leave Youtube alone!!! angry.png

• Brohoof 6

K. Fuck Google+. I posted on here earlier on, but I'm realizing what's really happening with all these changes to YouTube.

Since Google+ has all of 12 users outside of YouTube, they're forcing people on YouTube to join it, since it was such a failure. I don't care about Google+. No one uses it, so Google is trying to go all totalitarian on YouTube users to make Google+ not such a joke.

Fuck you, Google. Changing my search engine ASAP.

• Brohoof 8

My biggest irk with Google+ is that they isn't any systematic way to have useful conversations with your friends like they do with Facebook. 

Here's also another problem I've been having with Google+ See if you guys can explain it:

So basically, I added a friend on Google Plus and she added me back. Why is it that she doesn't appear on the list of people I can chat with on Gmail?

• Brohoof 4