Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is one gender more shallow than the other?

Champion RD92

I've heard people say that girls are more shallow than guys, and vice versa. But is one gender really more shallow than the other? Honestly, I think both genders are capable of being equally shallow. Girls may turn down a guy because he is not attractive to her in terms of looks, but a guy may also be shallow and only ask out a girl if he likes her looks. What do you guys think? Does one gender tend to be more shallow than the other?

• Brohoof 2

In my opinion, no gender is more shallow than the other. A female can be just as shallow as man and it just depends on who you're talking about. A single female/male can be shallow but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone in that gender is shallow. So, no, one gender is not more shallow than the other. 

• Brohoof 8

I think both of the genders are pretty shallow, respectively both males and females would ask their opposite gender for their looks. It's not like I think that they are both shallow, but it just happens. It depends on the person.

Edited by Scootalove

In my opinion, no gender is more shallow than the other. A female can be just as shallow as man and it just depends on who you're talking about. A single female/male can be shallow but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone in that gender is shallow. So, no, one gender is not more shallow than the other. 

Yeah I basically feel the same way. Both genders can be shallow, it just depends on the person, it has nothing to do with being a certain gender.

• Brohoof 1

I agree with everyone in this thread so far. Shallowness is an individual characteristic. Anyone can be shallow. A lot of the times when I've heard someone say "guys are so shallow" or "girls are so shallow" it was when they just got dumped by a member of the opposite sex. When people get rejected sometimes they try to rationalize why it happened. Saying that all members of the opposite sex are shallow/crazy/selfish isn't correct, but it's how people deal with the pain.

• Brohoof 1

Huh, I always thought of guys as more shallow than girls...  Not sure why though.  Maybe it's just because I don't really hang around shallow women (or women in general for that matter).  Maybe it's because film and TV always seem to find it amusing to pair average guys up with ridiculously attractive women.  Anyways, what everyone else has said makes sense, and I've probably just never had experience with shallow women.

It seems like a lot of guys and girls get bitter when they don't have much luck in love and call the other gender shallow in order to make themselves feel better, that is not to say that there aren't any shallow guys or girls out there or that none of these people have been victimized by that but I have noticed this sort of attitude and in its own way is a form of shallowness because it overly generalizes based on a few people.

• Brohoof 2

Nah. For as many differences as there are between men and women, we're all just human beings at the core. Though our differing biologies do indeed affect some of our behavioral processes in certain (more often than not, subtle) ways, I'd say that both genders have a more-or-less equal disposition toward undesirable behavior traits such as shallowness, unfaithfulness, etc.

Really, because each of us sees the world differently based on our own experiences, it all boils down to whom you ask: Ask women, they'll tell you men are all cheating pigs. Ask men, women are all cheating whores. When playing the blame game, you can rest assured that both genders end up the loser. It's not a question of the nature of men, nor the nature of women, but rather human nature.

• Brohoof 2

Nope. From my experience and many of my friends (which I've discussed this with them before). It's fairly even and it varies with each person. I know girls who'll only date "hot, popular jock types" just as well, I know plenty of guys who'll only date a girl because of her bra size. Just depends.

I think that's a myth circulated by people who don't understand people at all and who have prejudice towards one or the other. It's in the same camp as, "I like guys better than girls because they don't talk behind my back!"

huh.png

Edited by Cygnus

No, both can be shallow (thanks for teaching me a new word).  I've seen both, and since I'm still stuck in highschool for the rest of the year, I can tell you that it's even.

I think that's a myth circulated by people who don't understand people at all and who have prejudice towards one or the other. It's in the same camp as, "I like guys better than girls because they don't talk behind my back!"

img-2027323-1-huh.png

Actually, I never saw a guy talk behind someone's back.  Or, atleast, not as openly as most teenage girls do :

No, both can be shallow (thanks for teaching me a new word).  I've seen both, and since I'm still stuck in highschool for the rest of the year, I can tell you that it's even.

Actually, I never saw a guy talk behind someone's back.  Or, atleast, not as openly as most teenage girls do :\

Is it surprising that grown men aren't as careless as teenage girls?

Everyone is shallow to some degree.  That's how we weed out who we don't want to be with.  It's not exclusive to any one gender.

Having standards and thinking about who may or may not be right for you isn't necessarily being shallow, it all depends on what those standards are. We all have our prejudices so in that sense yes we are all shallow to a certain degree, but there could be someone that is a nice person but they might not be a good match for you. We all have different things we look for in a partner because we have different priorities and needs but it is when people only look for things like appearance, popularity or money that this becomes a serious problem. During my teen years all I wanted in a girl for the most part was a nice wrack, a big bubble butt and someone I got along at least reasonably well with which looking back was a bit shallow but I was a stupid kid back then. Now that I have matured I still of course appreciate those things but appearance has become less important to me and personality has become more important to me.

Personality is what dictates the traits individuals find desirable in mates, not gender.

The reason the two sometimes get mixed up is because the concepts sometimes overlap. Gender can affect personality both directly and indirectly. While gender can affect personality, which in turn, dictates which traits are desirable in mates, it is still the personality that decides which traits are and are not desirable in mates, as personality is an extremely complicated system affected by a multitude of variables. One variable isn't nearly enough to influence behavior in any significant way.

Edited by Commander Urdnot

Both genders are equally shallow, for some reason we just make a bigger deal out of it when a woman is shallow. Besides, let's be honest with ourselves, attractive person gets an attractive partner. Attractive girls only go for attractive guys and vice versa. That is not always the case though, every person has different preferences, different likes and dislikes so there is no way telling whether that person will like you or not.

I'll be honest, I'm not terribly shallow but my preferences are a bit picky. For example I prefer petite girls and that would be considered shallow but hey girls have preferences I don't fulfill either so whatever. Besides, it's just a preference I'm pretty much open for anyone. That is what doesn't make me shallow.

• 2 weeks later...

Really i don't think gender has any exact direct impact on whether someone is shallow, thats just more of a person by person thing i think. I don't think that it really matters if your a boy or a girl, its just whether you decide to be that type of person.

I've seen some in each gender, so its not like it doesn't exist in one or the other, and i don't think that its even really skewed that much either way, if any, so its really just a person by person thing.

• Brohoof 1

I don't tend to generalize on such matters. I like to think more on a individual level and based on that I think when it comes to genders and shallowness one is just as capable of being as shallow as the other.

• Brohoof 1

I'm sure that statistically one is slightly more shallow than the other, but really it is just an individual thing. In the end, we're all human and we have the same characteristics but have personalities that are shaped by society. Society teaches us that being shallow is the right thing and we all react to it equally.