I really want to improve, I need help

Anyways

This is a OC in work

Give me opinions on the looks

the backgrounds

the drawings...

please?

post-18875-0-52897000-1385872379_thumb.png

It... it looks... how do I put this. It looks suspiciously like a llama. And the anatomy looks really off. I would suggest to keep practicing. I would also seperate the ground from the horizon, but the effect of the sun does look good. I'm not telling you this to be a prick, I'm just here for feedback. Just being professional.

Overall its pretty good, you have the basic shapes

Mostly down. However the neck is a little long and maybe even slim, and it kinda bends back to far.

The back also needs to be a bit more rounded out I think, the sudden sharpe curves are a bit awkward.

The ear has some odd lines on it that I don't quite understand when generally the ponies only have like one line thats kinda curved in the ear representing the entrance to the inner ear.

Also the nose is usually just a line really. And I'm not sure what the other long line on the face is.

I also think maybe that the drawing could use outlines drawn around the pony first. In the shape of the pony, then color it in, the outline of ponies is generally a few shades darker then the actual color of whatever the coat or manes main color is.

It's a bit more a personal style preference, just a suggestion.

And the eyelashes may be a little bit small.

Sorry I don't mean to be mean or critical, just want to help you improve some :).

Overall it's good though! Your improving! So don't worry just keep working at it!

use outlines

That is what I tried to do

I use Paint Tool SAI now

but

when I use the magic wand tool and color it in, the color I use erases the outline :(

I don't know how to fix it :(

I use Paint Tool SAI now

but

when I use the magic wand tool and color it in, the color I use erases the outline :(

Hm. That's strange, I'm not experienced with SAI as I use gimp, but are you sure you used a different color in the outline compared to the coat color?

And if so then maybe you just need to create a separate layout for the outline, that might fix the issue, and make sure it's layered so the outline isn't covered by the coat.

I'm not entirely sure how SAI works, but maybe that'll help.

If not I'm not sure what would cause that problem otherwise.

• Brohoof 1

I use Paint Tool SAI now

but

when I use the magic wand tool and color it in, the color I use erases the outline :(

EASY! you make a new layer (if you don't understand just PM me, I'll give u a tutourial) then put that layer below your lines then colour in that layer. (your colours will appear under your lines)

Edited by SwigglySwiggly
  • Brohoof 2

If you want my honest opinion, the proportions of the pony are completely off, the anatomy is nowhere near accurate, the background are just spots of awfully chosen colors. The only thing good about the drawing is the color scheme of the OC.

If you want to truly want to succeed in drawing ponies, you'll either have to draw at least 25 ponies and practice drawing them from different angles or understanding the concept behind pony anatomy.

Pony Anatomy.

Pony_anatomy_drawing_guide.jpg

I'm sorry if you truth hurts but if you are serious about drawing ponies, you'll have to start from the basics. Oh, by the way, it would be nice if you told us what program(s) you used and the model name of the graphics tablet you used to create that piece of artwork.

• Brohoof 1

If you want my honest opinion, the proportions of the pony are completely off, the anatomy is nowhere near accurate, the background are just spots of awfully chosen colors. The only thing good about the drawing is the color scheme of the OC.

If you want to truly want to succeed in drawing ponies, you'll either have to draw at least 25 ponies and practice drawing them from different angles or understanding the concept behind pony anatomy.

I'm sorry if you truth hurts but if you are serious about drawing ponies, you'll have to start from the basics. Oh, by the way, it would be nice if you told us what program(s) you used and the model name of the graphics tablet you used to create that piece of artwork.

Pony anatomy is not always necessary, you can alter stuff and it will still look good, (exaggerated anatomy) MLP uses exaggerated anatomy, mlp ponies are nothing like real life ponies, they're exaggerated. (its like saying chibi is not manga because the proportions are wrong)

• Brohoof 1

Pony Anatomy.

Ya, I really suck with backgrounds.

I've been drawing ponies for almost a year, and I don't really see me improving >.<

I already used that picture you shown me to get the basics down, which helped

And I am trying to use my own style, but I guess my style needs improvement..

I just started using Paint Tool SAI, and I don't use a tablet.

• Brohoof 1

Ya, I really suck with backgrounds.

I've been drawing ponies for almost a year, and I don't really see me improving >.<

I already used that picture you shown me to get the basics down, which helped

And I am trying to use my own style, but I guess my style needs improvement..

I just started using Paint Tool SAI, and I don't use a tablet.

You should start practicing drawing ponies on paper first and get a Wacom tablet once you get the feel of drawin' ponies.

practicing drawing ponies on paper first and get a Wacom tablet

I usually draw on paper, so that wont be a problem :P 

But the weird thing is..

is that I HAVE a tablet, I just don't use it, because I'm used to drawing with a mouse, but I guess I need to start using a tablet..

Like, I need a lot of opinions, what you truly think

I'll start from what is good.

Your choices of colors are good. They look very natural and remind me of a sunny beach or a desert. They harmonize with each other pretty well. The colors of the pony in the foreground contrast well with the background color to make it stand out.

Unfortunately, this effect is ruined by the lack of outlines (and some other things I'll mention later). Although your contrast between foreground and background are OK, you will not go far with only contrasting the colors. Sometimes you want some neighboring colors to be very similar (as with the colors of your pony), and then an outline is a must. It helps to separate the color areas better, by introducing some more contrasting color between them.

I would agree with @@Azura about the anatomy thing, with one little correction: it's not about the anatomy (which is pretty much OK for your drawing) but show-accuracy. Your pony doesn't look much like the ponies in the original show. It's not necessarily bad, because there are lots of artists on DeviantArt or other places which draw nice ponies with their own style, different from the show. But it is justified when the overall picture is good. Others (me included) prefer to keep up with the show, and draw show-accurate ponies. Then using the exact proportions and shapes from the original show is indispensable, and you can improve in that by studying how they are drawn in the show. Watch some tutorials on DeviantArt, and use images from the show as references.

That is what I tried to do I use Paint Tool SAI now but when I use the magic wand tool and color it in, the color I use erases the outline I don't know how to fix it

Use layers.

You can start from sketching on one layer, then when you have the sketch all right, you can use another layer overlaid just above it to make outlines, and then you can hide the layer with the sketch. It will disappear from the drawing without any need to rubber it out, so it won't be messing with the final picture (but it will still be there for you if you need it sometime later to look it up; then you just unhide it for a moment).

When you have the outlines OK, you can create another layer under your outline (and sketch) to fill it with colors. This way you will never fill over the outlines nor damage them (especially if you lock the layer with outlines; then it will be safe until you unlock it back). Sometimes it is easier to use more layers for the color fills. Actually you can create as many layers as you need (but try to not overuse them; calling them properly also helps).

You can make your background another layer, which allows for changing the backdrop behind your foreground pony later.

I don't know much about SAI and whether it supports layers, but maybe you should try out GIMP? It has layers and many other features, and it's free to use.

But the weird thing is.. is that I HAVE a tablet, I just don't use it, because I'm used to drawing with a mouse, but I guess I need to start using a tablet..

Using tablet isn't a must; lots of things could be done without it. But using tablet helps when you need to draw nice curvy lines by hand. Using mouse for that is usually not a good idea, because mouse has two "special" axes of motion (horizontal and vertical) which it "prefers", and it expresses all motions by combining these two. So when you draw a line, it tends to go in a "staircase pattern" instead of smoothly along the curve. Experienced graphicians can draw these with a mouse (e.g. this is a painting I did solely with a mouse), but it takes a lot more time to fine up the details.

I usually draw on paper, so that wont be a problem

Then show us ;) This would give us better overview of what problems are caused by your tools, and what are caused by your lack of skills. Then we'll be able to tell you what skills you need to work on.

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 2

Pony Anatomy.

Is this good? I tried drawing on paper, using the the advice you gave me. Sorry it's sideways

post-18875-0-69974100-1385884037_thumb.jpg

I'll start from what is good.

Your choices of colors are good. They look very natural and remind me of a sunny beach or a desert. They harmonize with each other pretty well. The colors of the pony in the foreground contrast well with the background color to make it stand out.

Unfortunately, this effect is ruined by the lack of outlines (and some other things I'll mention later). Although your contrast between foreground and background are OK, you will not go far with only contrasting the colors. Sometimes you want some neighboring colors to be very similar (as with the colors of your pony), and then an outline is a must. It helps to separate the color areas better, by introducing some more contrasting color between them.

I would agree with @@Azura about the anatomy thing, with one little correction: it's not about the anatomy (which is pretty much OK for your drawing) but show-accuracy. Your pony doesn't look much like the ponies in the original show. It's not necessarily bad, because there are lots of artists on DeviantArt or other places which draw nice ponies with their own style, different from the show. But it is justified when the overall picture is good. Others (me included) prefer to keep up with the show, and draw show-accurate ponies. Then using the exact proportions and shapes from the original show is indispensable, and you can improve in that by studying how they are drawn in the show. Watch some tutorials on DeviantArt, and use images from the show as references.

Use layers.

You can start from sketching on one layer, then when you have the sketch all right, you can use another layer overlaid just above it to make outlines, and then you can hide the layer with the sketch. It will disappear from the drawing without any need to rubber it out, so it won't be messing with the final picture (but it will still be there for you if you need it sometime later to look it up; then you just unhide it for a moment).

When you have the outlines OK, you can create another layer under your outline (and sketch) to fill it with colors. This way you will never fill over the outlines nor damage them (especially if you lock the layer with outlines; then it will be safe until you unlock it back). Sometimes it is easier to use more layers for the color fills. Actually you can create as many layers as you need (but try to not overuse them; calling them properly also helps).

You can make your background another layer, which allows for changing the backdrop behind your foreground pony later.

I don't know much about SAI and whether it supports layers, but maybe you should try out GIMP? It has layers and many other features, and it's free to use.

Using tablet isn't a must; lots of things could be done without it. But using tablet helps when you need to draw nice curvy lines by hand. Using mouse for that is usually not a good idea, because mouse has two "special" axes of motion (horizontal and vertical) which it "prefers", and it expresses all motions by combining these two. So when you draw a line, it tends to go in a "staircase pattern" instead of smoothly along the curve. Experienced graphicians can draw these with a mouse (e.g. this is a painting I did solely with a mouse), but it takes a lot more time to fine up the details.

Then show us ;) This would give us better overview of what problems are caused by your tools, and what are caused by your lack of skills. Then we'll be able to tell you what skills you need to work on.

If you look at my recent pints a respond to Azura, I posted a picture on paper