Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Maybe as a religion...

Daring Do

I have come across some bronies in my time, as well as seeing comics, that take values from this show to heart. Things such as the six values of friendship, how Celestia controls the sun, how Luna controls the moon, and love and tolerance. That sort of thing actually left me in thought for a while.

A side story for the next explanation:

When I am sad, I tend to write certain things in order to relieve that stress.

So one day when I was sad, I decided to write about those comics and bronies I experienced. Like many holy texts, this is separated into sections for your convenience. Here is the result!

The name is

Luna Quod Sol Solis Appareo - Moon and Sun Manifest:

Lux Lucis - Light : For the worship of those of greater virtue

Passage One:

Bless upon thee, the Sun's Matron. Bless upon thee, holder of the great light that supplies life to all upon this damned planet. Let it be heard that your generosity knows no bounds, for, despite our sins, you carry upon your back the weight of the world, for the vice and blasphamy is no light deed. Bless upon thee your guidance through day, as you have done for times beyond man, and times before worship. Guide us through the world of sorrows, providing means of sight to see the purity of your embrace. Allow that embrace to warm our souls and continue to bring unity to the world through teachings. Let friendship, your most guided of teachings, be understood throughout the dark lands, and let your faith spread, and purify all that is black.

Passage Two:

Bless upon thee, the Moon's Companion. Bless upon thee, blighted by the curse of ignorance of men, for we are not worthy for the beauty of what you control. Let those of the night stare at your cooling flight, for it guides them through darkness, of darkness. Night, a truly evil device of nature, is conquered by your love of our kind, your charity and kindness towards man, to disallow our damnation. Let those who carry out your order follow it with grace, for they care for and kindle your lonesome charge. Let your faith spread as night consumes the last of the world, and let your faith spread to the minds of those who, unknowingly, follow the path of your unrequited love and affection. May it be that you reclaim lost love for your sister, and again compound the intensity of the flame, which is your weight upon our souls.

The next passage really isn't important, REALLY! The next few just explain some moral values, nothing too big. I mean, anyone who loves and tolerates already has most of these!

EDIT:

This is not to show off the writing! I want ponies to discuss the show... in the perspective of a religion.

Edited by Daring Do
  • Brohoof 4

EDIT: WRONG POST!

I was gonna say that I liked all of this. This could really fit into some grimdark fanfics! You shuold do more of this kinds of things! this is like gold for fanfic writers!

Edited by Arkane

One of the key components of religious texts is story telling and persona accounts. You find that all across the Old and New Testament writings, and it perhaps one of the prime reasons those texts have endured throughout the centuries. This reads a lot like the Psalms, with praise and adoration toward a specific figure and the virtues and gifts of that figure---not that there is anything wrong with that style. I would be interested in an account based version of Equestria, using the Mane Six as primary figures to illustrate these virtues in a style similar to religious texts. Or something close to the Pauline epistles, transferring information about Celestia, Luna, et al. through a source which was not necessarily an eye witness.

I think that would be pretty neat, or at least intriguing in terms of narrative.

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
  • Brohoof 1

That's only assuming that the Mane Six become immortal, after all, things should be recorded from the beginning of time. If not, they will probably be covered in detail in a different section, IF I ever write one.

Isn't there a fanfic out there about some pony missionaries spreading the message of Friendship and Harmony or something? It got updated on ED recently.

Ponies as the gospel truth?

Why not? Lots of people already list "Jedi" as their religion and as far as values go, it's hard to go wrong with love and tolerance.

In fact, just those two values alone already allow the show to trump all the major world religions in the whole "not committing atrocities" category.

(edited)

Ponies as the gospel truth?

Why not? Lots of people already list "Jedi" as their religion and as far as values go, it's hard to go wrong with love and tolerance.

In fact, just those two values alone already allow the show to trump all the major world religions in the whole "not committing atrocities" category.

Yeah... that was my point when I posted this thread.

Why not?  Other people have done it, and My Little Pony teaches some very important values.</p>

Edited by Daring Do

Bronies as a relegion? Thats wont be a great religion...in real life at least. (it be silly be bowing down to a show.) however if it in the mlp world thats a different story. As you can see i am athiest pony and celstia...well i am not sure if she created the universe but i would not conisder a god but rather a very powerfull pony.

Maybe religion isn't the proper term. Religion deals with issues like divinity and the afterlife I think.

Perhaps philosophy would be a better match unless a belief in frolicking eternally in the Equestrian Fields after a good life is espoused although I wouldn't be averse to an afterlife like that...

Now, I am a die hard MLP fan but I don't believe I'd join a MLP religion. It just seems a lil too much. My friends laugh at my because I watch the show and whilst I can handle that, I would hate to see their reactions if they found out I followed a pony religion ^_^

I'm agreeing with everypony else because, it would be not only silly, but pretty controversial if you started an MLP based religion, eventually we would become a crazy cult and have a shootout with federal agents. O.O

"And let it be known, from the Book of Faust, chapter 9, section 31: And the great pony spoketh, with her infinite grace, 'Lo, thou hast learnt a great lesson today, that thou must always showeth love and compassion, and thou must never indulge in any of cardinal vices, particularly the most heinous: beingeth a grumpy meany pants, or the consequences of such shall be severe'. And the great pony dissappeareth in a brilliant golden light, and all was well."

Amen.

I'm agreeing with everypony else because, it would be not only silly, but pretty controversial if you started an MLP based religion, eventually we would become a crazy cult and have a shootout with federal agents. O.O

Well, aren't you mister sunshine? ^_^
  • Brohoof 1

This hit my mind when I first got into the brony community. Not the details in OP's post, but bronyism as a religion/self-help group + fandom. It just seems to fit somehow.

To be fair, every worthwhile philosophy and religion values love and tolerance.

We just use cute, multi-colored, cartoon ponies to spread the message. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I wouldn't really follow it as a religion but I would and do follow some of its lessons to try to make my life better. Its kind of like buddhism in my opinion: more of a code of morals than a religion.

Edited by matau

I wouldn't really follow it as a religion but I would and do follow some of its lessons to try to make my life better. Its kind of like buddhism in my opinion: more of a code of morals than a religion.

This for me.

Honestly I probably wouldn't get involved enough to consider it a full blown religion, but I do believe in alot of the positive morals that the brony community stands for.