Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Friend says I'm too old to watch kids cartoons

Moved to Elsewhere

So me and my friend were talking about stuff and eventually he said "You don't watch Tosh.0 but you watch my little pony." He also said that adults shouldn't be watching kids cartoons.

What do you make of this, I personally find it stupid since cartoons used to not be stereotyped as just for kids especially since some cartoons have adult humor in them.

• Brohoof 9

So me and my friend were talking about stuff and eventually he said "You don't watch Tosh.0 but you watch my little pony." He also said that adults shouldn't be watching kids cartoons.

What do you make of this, I personally find it stupid since cartoons used to not be stereotyped as just for kids especially since some cartoons have adult humor in them.

Tell your friend that adults shouldn't be mocking each other for a television show they happen to enjoy.

• Brohoof 7

Your friend is wrong because, it doesn't matter what age you are you can still enjoy the entertainment that cartoons have to offer. Mocking someone for watching a television show or a cartoon that they enjoy, is pointless especially since cartoons used to not have stereotypes on age.

• Brohoof 2

He also said that adults shouldn't be watching kids cartoons.

^ I was mainly going off of this. I'm seventeen, but I consider myself an adult. I can make my own rational decisions and all that junk. The individual should define the boundary between childhood and adulthood, in my opinion.

OT, tell your friend to stuff it. 

• Brohoof 4

I don't see the issue, whats wrong with watching cartoons?

My friends that don't like MLP(And don't know I do.) make comments about how they don't understand how guys could be attracted to cute stuff.(Which is stupid already as i'm a guy and have always had a soft spot for cute stuff anyways.) and how the demographic is all 45-60 year olds(Which isn't really even that accurate to my knowledge, and still irrelevant in that it doesn't matter.)

So ask him, whats wrong with adults watching kids cartoons? Why shouldn't they? Is it because its "weird"? Well we're all a little weird anyways, and just because society thinks and says something doesn't necessarily mean its law.

• Brohoof 3

Tell your friends they are wrong

Adults are kids to, just bigger

Because they were once kids

No one is ever to old for kid cartoons

Heck, I still watch Steamboat Willie and other Mickey Mouse stuff

• Brohoof 1

Your friend needs to understand that just because a show is made for younger audiences, doesn't mean said show is bad. If you enjoy the show, it shouldn't matter what demographic it was made for. And just because you don't like Tosh.0 but like My Little Pony doesn't mean a thing, it's called a preference. 

• Brohoof 1

I think you need to make new friends  :lol:  It really shouldn't matter to them what you watch, if they're a true friend then they'll respect your decision to watch the show rather than insult it  :fiery:

• Brohoof 2

If he says you're too old for cartoons say to his dumbass(not offense to your friend) to stop watching the following shows(if he does), tell him to begin to hate them just because they are cartoons:

Adventure Time(don't like it)

Regular Show(don't like it)

Family Guy

Simpsons

Spongebob

I can go on and on but I wont waste my time.

If he says you should stop watching cartoons then tell him to stop watching cartoons and see what he says. If he says something like,"Oh Adventure Time is not like MLP. Its funny." Honestly I do not find that show funny. If Adventure Time is not a cartoon then I don't know what the hell it is. 

I honestly hate people that say you're too old for a little kids show. It pisses me off so much. I hope they notice that Spongebob is a little kids show, so is AT and RS 

• Brohoof 1

If he says you're too old for cartoons say to his dumbass(not offense to your friend) to stop watching the following shows(if he does), tell him to begin to hate them just because they are cartoons:

Adventure Time(don't like it)

Regular Show(don't like it)

Family Guy

Simpsons

Spongebob

I can go on and on but I wont waste my time.

If he says you should stop watching cartoons then tell him to stop watching cartoons and see what he says. If he says something like,"Oh Adventure Time is not like MLP. Its funny." Honestly I do not find that show funny. If Adventure Time is not a cartoon then I don't know what the hell it is. 

I honestly hate people that say you're too old for a little kids show. It pisses me off so much. I hope they notice that Spongebob is a little kids show, so is AT and RS 

Actually my friend meant I shouldn't be watching cartoons meant for kids he's okay with cartoons for adults he watches South Park

Actually my friend meant I shouldn't be watching cartoons meant for kids he's okay with cartoons for adults he watches South Park

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Well in my opinion cartoons are cartoons but that's just my brain.  :P

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

- C. S. Lewis

• Brohoof 6

Actually, if you look hard enough in some good kids cartoons, you can find some pretty f$%&ed up stuff. Example: the show animaniacs has a joke in it that... well, I dare not spoil it, so let's just call it the "finger prints" gag. Just because its a kids show, doesn't mean its 100% for kids.

• Brohoof 2

Actually, if you look hard enough in some good kids cartoons, you can find some pretty f$%&ed up stuff. Example: the show animaniacs has a joke in it that... well, I dare not spoil it, so let's just call it the "finger prints" gag. Just because its a kids show, doesn't mean its 100% for kids.

Bahaha I remember that one, it was great  :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if your friend starts watching the show and is a closet pony fan, but acts "manly" for the sake of appearances. That happens more than you think.

Edited by Octavia's Melody

Take no notice, cartoons have existed for all ages, it's just that someone somewhere decided to homogenize cartoons to the children's category, which is disrespectful to animation and art for art's sake, to coin the Latin phrase "Ars Gratia Artis". Anyway, people do watch cartoons, they are just not animated, for example reality TV, sitcoms, game shows and even the news, that present subjects once pushed into gossip columns and tabloids, now they are main stream and people follow these stories religiously, the spectacle is overpowering the senses and have bypassed logic, which are elements in a cartoon complete with stock characters and shoehorned plot and story, that once dissected you begin to think critically toward the median. Animation is wonderful, it takes effort and resources to finish, and is just an alternative way to tell a story, animation can bring images that live action requires CGI green screen or special effects to pull off, finally I say to you don't give in, being a fan of animation gives you a greater appreciation of art, and can inspire without patronizing or condescending, keep watching cartoons you will thank your lucky stars someday.       

• Brohoof 1

Actually we're not adults we're teenagers

That's probably the problem. He needs to mature a bit if he's judging people older than him like he knows better.

As posted before, C.S. Lewis says it well. The fear of childishness is a childish thing itself. As Picasso puts it, a bit more abstractly, "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up."

(Anyway, if you want to do something to secretly get back at him, try describing awesome/funny things about MLP, but without telling him it's MLP or a kids cartoon. Turn all the characters into live action humans and put them in a dangerous fantasy setting or something. Worked for me.)

• Brohoof 6

I'll be 35 in February, and MLP:FIM is not the only cartoon I watch.

Oh, and I found a clip of that Animaniacs joke!

• Brohoof 4