Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

thoughts on the new youtube copyright rule

Skeleton Kin

if you haven't heard, youtube has made it so that you can't upload game content to youtube and if it gets flagged it will taken down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JQfHdasuWtII this is the only vid that gives it point without going into a full hour of chat

personally I think its disgusting, this goes against the fair use law.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly.... why are people flipping out? If Google/YouTube does not abide by the law they cannot provide the website in certain countries. Google/YouTube is only doing this because they have no choice. Unless you guys want another Megaupload incident again I would kinda just accept what is happening because there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. Why is there nothing we can do about it? Because big companies don't want copyright to change, if it does change they lose money and control.

Oh and the guy in the video is a big idiot who isn't looking at what is actually going on. He is just pissed off that his videos were flagged. Hes blaming the wrong people.

Edited by Emperor Posh
  • Brohoof 2

Oh and the guy in the video is a big idiot who isn't looking at what is actually going on. He is just pissed off that his videos were flagged.
he's getting angry because its his job to do reviews, he doesn't have any job but that.
  • Brohoof 5

That's just seems like such a bad move. They're going to cut out a pretty huge amount of the audience and YouTube personalities by doing this. I noticed some of the videos 'belonging' to the guy you linked that had been claimed as infringing copyright were actual reviews. I don't get it, do you need to do it under a company / business name and If so does it really make any difference at all?

Edited by Bucky_McGillycuddy

As much as this sucks and is unfair this case isn't entirely Youtubes fault though I am pissed at them for how they have handled their appeals process for copyright violations. The way "fair use" law is written and enforced is a complete and total joke, it may say we have fair use but only large corporations with an army of lawyers have actual fair use. The way the law is written on fair use is so vague, complicated and contradictory that it often falls to the courts to decide what is "fair use" and since your average Joe is at a huge disadvantage against big corporations well there you go. Youtube is doing this because if they don't they will get sued, blaming Youtube is not going to solve anything what will though is if we change the laws which will not be easy but is possible. A while back I made a thread about copyright and patent laws and how I think they should be changed which you can see here and are welcome to comment on if you wish.

http://mlpforums.com/topic/49035-what-do-you-think-about-copyrighttrademark-laws/

• Brohoof 1

he's getting angry because its his job to do reviews, he doesn't have any job but that.

I know... but still hes blaming the wrong people. Currently the copyright world is turning into a giant shit hole and it is screwing everyone including YouTube.

This mess is so big I cannot explain it in short. It is huge. 

Edited by Emperor Posh

I know... but still hes blaming the wrong people. Currently the copyright world is turning into a giant shit hole and it is screwing everyone including YouTube.

Hey dude, you seem pretty level-headed on the subject and I think you can give me a straight answer.

So, like, since all this crap is being flagged, does that mean the dudes who make Let's Plays and Gameplay and Commentary's and shit are getting taken down? 

I dunno the whole story here, and I can't find this answer anywhere.

Hey dude, you seem pretty level-headed on the subject and I think you can give me a straight answer.

So, like, since all this crap is being flagged, does that mean the dudes who make Let's Plays and Gameplay and Commentary's and shit are getting taken down? 

I dunno the whole story here, and I can't find this answer anywhere.

What's happening is Google/YouTube is being forced to enforce stronger copyright rules, and if you have a song or a cutscene from a game in your video it has a chance of getting taken down. That is just an example, I don't know the full extent of what they are having to flag. As for game play that you have recorded I think it is safe so long as you don't include cutscenes. 

Probably not as straight as you wanted it, sorry I am really tired right now.

Edited by Emperor Posh
  • Brohoof 1

nope, they're taking it down if they have any-form of gameplay, even reviews that don't spoil the story

From what I can tell they are only taking down gameplay that includes cutscenes, looking at some of the bigger gaming channels they seem to be fine as they don't usually include cutscenes. As for reviews, I haven't really noticed many reviews getting taken down and I sit on YouTube almost 24/7.

Back to my main point, don't blame YouTube, they are only doing what they are being told to do.

Edited by Emperor Posh

They are only taking down gameplay that includes cutscenes, looking at some of the bigger gaming channels they seem to be fine as they don't usually include cutscenes. 

that is correct, but even companies such as blizzard (who said that you are allowed to monetise vids but not charge for vids) are getting confused by the taking down of gameplay footage that games belong to them.

• Brohoof 1

Whats next for the copyright act then?

There are several proposed laws like SOPA for example that have further restrictions on fair use and give the companies god like power to pull whatever they want for whatever reason and give the people accused of violating their copyright even less recourse than they already have. This situation is far bigger than just Youtube it is about the internet a a whole and most important the freedom of speech. With this kind of unchecked power videos could be pulled for any reason so long as it is claimed to violate a copyright which could lead videos to be taken down because certain corporations might not like what some people say.

that is correct, but even companies such as blizzard (who said that you are allowed to monetise vids but not charge for vids) are getting confused by the taking down of gameplay footage that games belong to them.

Yep that's because the system is automatic because YouTube cannot look through every single video manually. The claims go to the original content creator and they decide whether or not to block it. 

Sorry if my posts are a bit jumbled up, I am tired and haven't slept.

Edited by Emperor Posh
  • Brohoof 1

There are several proposed laws like SOPA for example that have further restrictions on fair use and give the companies god like power to pull whatever they want for whatever reason and give the people accused of violating their copyright even less recourse than they already have. This situation is far bigger than just Youtube it is about the internet a a whole and most important the freedom of speech. With this kind of unchecked power videos could be pulled for any reason so long as it is claimed to violate a copyright which could lead videos to be taken down because certain corporations might not like what some people say.

Something just screams at me to shout at their faces.

Yeah i know their powerful and all but.... a 15 year old youtuber is really going to break the law by filming himself maybe

playing on i don't know cod 4 or gta5 just to get some views is breaking the law

Companys are like op alicorns waaaaayyy to much god like power.

I had a video pulled for 5 seconds of music (literally) in the background of a street artist performance which lasted over 4 minutes (it was only noticeable if you knew the song beforehand) from a company claiming to be related to Sony Music Entertainment.

It's ridiculous. This Content ID shit needs to stop.

Edited by Ess* Is Satan
  • Brohoof 1

Minecraft.

Notch (the creator) said that he explicitly allows people to include footage of the game and be able to earn money from it.

If I see ONE Minecraft video that suffers with this change, I'll have to go to 4chan and plan out a boycott.

This is going to suck for folks who make a living from youtube.

I've heard the "gameplay ok, except cutscenes" thing too. Also that some developers are ok while some get pissy about it. Though with the system being automatic this thing probably won't be able to tell them apart.

I seen AngryJoe's video about this and it sickens me. There are publishers that have confirmed that there are ID claims that are not being set by them but by Youtube itself. This is horrendous. Legit content makers like Joe are going to suffer for this and it is pathetic. FAIR USE Youtube. You remember that?

The thing is, in America, if you have money, the law doesn't matter. I seriously hope Youtube unf*cks itself eventually. That is doubtful because they have become a tyrant now.

• Brohoof 5

WTF? What are they.....

What?

I can't even....

What?

Youtube and all of the internet for that matter should stop with their sensitive copyright shit and just give us the freedom to share our gaming experiences. I don't know about you guys, but half of my time on Youtube is spent watching people playing pokemon. .-.

Sounds extremely stupid to me. I, along with others, seem to enjoy seeing footage/walkthrough of a game, we then go out and buy the game and get to enjoy it for ourselves. The game got free advertisement from the videos and the company gets to fill their wallets. The videos should fall under fair use as well. 

• Brohoof 3