Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there fanservice/pandering this season?

Clarity

What's your opinion on fanservice this season?  

37 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think the writers are pandering to the bronies?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you want the writers to continue with the references?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't give a cow's market
  3. 3. Will the show take a completely other direction, directed towards the bronies instead?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe cow so
  4. 4. What's your general opinion on it?

• It's great that the writers are acknowledging us and giving us hints. I like the references.
    • I don't like the fact that the writers are pandering to the bronies instead of focusing on the show.
    • I have no opinion. The fanservice doesn't bother me.

There is some but as long as it isn't excessive than there really is no problem, you don't need to understand the references to understand the episode (even if it does add a certain perspective to them) and some of them actually are relevant to the plot and even the ones that aren't are fun little easter eggs that mostly hard core fans will notice.

• Brohoof 1

Its just the writers giving shoutouts to the community that supports them through thick and thin, as long as the references don't interfere with the plot or keep the story to a screeching halt. If the reference doesn't distract anyone away from the focus of the episode, I don't see it as a huge problem.

• Brohoof 1

@

They work for me as well, I was smiling broadly for a good part of that episode, but that's not the point I was making. The point I was making is that you can't just dismiss someone's issue with a reference handled like that based on your own personal preference. It is at the forefront of the episode and at that point it becomes something that those who can relate to the reference can enjoy and those who can not are left out by themselves. And out of the two episodes, especially Castle mane-ia would not have suffered from having more of an own identity. If the references weren't there nobody would have gone, "You know what this episode is missing? Scooby Doo!"

Yeah... Although this whole conversation we're having is also about personal preference, isn't it?

If anything's certain though, it's that I don't have a very clear picture of why this is such a big deal to begin with. When I think about it, the answer that makes sense to me is that people are afraid that these referencing might get excessive at some point while some think it already is. By excessive I mean that it gets to a point where it detracts from the show instead of just being ornamental or funny. Though really, I feel like that explanation might either be incorrect to some extent or just not the complete picture. Just know that that is what I think this is all about.

It's really nothing to fuss over to be honest. X/

It's just tiny easter eggs and shoutouts to other well known stuff like slenderman, that's it.

Unless those easter eggs are more than just that, I see no worries to complain about.

I wish some people would take the time to read the OP before accusing me of complaining :huh:

Also adding the fact that Derpy and "Bulk Biceps" are quite blatant nods to the fans. And like I've said, I don't care about it. I'm not complaining about it. :)

I'm fine with these references every now and then, though I wouldn't want the focus of the show to deviate from the plot, nor do I want it to flood us with references. They should be at the top of the food pyramid; used sparingly.

They cater to the older fans...So what? The younger fans aren't negatively affected...Honestly, my biggest problem is that Slenderman is a factually awful meme that spawned two factually terrible video games and it needs to just go away forever.

Also, I must point out that references to musicals and movies and such is not fanservice or pandering. It's just references. Animators and writers love to throw in references to things they're into, why take that from them? Sons of Anarchy threw in the world's most blatant Stephen King reference (he guest-starred as a criminal cleaner named Bachman) and it was undiluted awesomeness. :lol:

I think it's good that they're reaching out towards the brony community a little more. Since most of them aren't too obvious, it doesn't really bother me (although I didn't care much for the Grumpy Cat cutie mark, but that's just because I personally find the meme overdone and annoying). But there is always the chance that they'll push it too far at one point. Hopefully they won't, though. As long as they keep doing the shootouts and references as they are now, no more, I'll be happy~