Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

TwilightSparkle, AppleJack, and RainbowDash

♞RedLotus♞

Am I the only one that's noticed something cool with Twi, AJ, and RD? 

Twilight was originally a unicorn, and unicorns are meant to have special magic spells. Twi's talent is pretty much magic, so shes the best at being a unicorn.

Applejack is an earth pony, and they specialize in agriculture and strength. AJ is a great farmer, and shes a very strong and agile athlete too. So shes best at being an earth pony.

RD is a Pegasus, and Pegasi are skilled at flying. Rainbow Dash is talented at flying, and doing all sorts of tricks. So she is best at being a Pegasus.

• Brohoof 3

As where;

Fluttershy doesn't fly very well and so isn't that great of a Pegasus.

Pinkie pie, pinkie pie is just uh, pinkie pie.

Rarity just uses her magic for finding gems and being clean and making dresses really. I can't think off the top of my head when she has used her magic for something else.

Rarity is still best pony :P

But yeahh, Twilight's talent is magic, AJ is a skilled farmer, and RD is a good flyer.

Fluttershy is also good with animals, Pinkie Pie greatly improves the morale of those around her, and Rarity... :wub: Rarity is one of the most driven, passionate, and hard-working ponies in all of Equestria, and just because she doesn't want or like to get dirty doesn't take away from how much effort she puts into her job; especially since she's a unicorn, not an earth pony, that drive and work-ethic is admirable, in my opinion.

But don't mind me; none of them are factually better than any of the others, they're only better in our own heads because best ponies are a lot of fun :D

• Brohoof 1

It's amazing, the show has this amazing sense of balance that you could break up in a number of different ways, at least until alicorn Twilight:

1) You could break them up along the three pony races- one outgoing, one reserved.

2) You can break them up between tomboy, girly, and neutral - again, one outgoing, one reserved within each.

3) And again, break them up along the three races- with one that's best aht their race's inherent skill, and one whose skill is unrelated to their race.

As where;

Fluttershy doesn't fly very well and so isn't that great of a Pegasus.

Pinkie pie, pinkie pie is just uh, pinkie pie.

Rarity just uses her magic for finding gems and being clean and making dresses really. I can't think off the top of my head when she has used her magic for something else.

Nahh. 

Just because Fluttershy doesn't fly too well doesn't make her worse than RD.

Pinkie Pie makes people smile every day; morale is just as important as food to help make a whole city thrive.

Twilight is actually a bit of an exception when it comes to magic; Rarity's talent is finding rare gems and making dresses, etc., which, most unicorns can only use their magic when it comes to stuff with their talent. Twilight and Trixie are rare breeds, as their talent is magic.

Now, stahp making the other 3 ponies sound like plebs before I banned forum you :D

While the other three are pretty cool in their own special way, they don't resemble their race as much.

What I'm trying to say is that these three ponies in particular are super good at what their race is meant to be good at. You get me?

Twilight and Trixie are rare breeds, as their talent is magic.

I thought Trixie's sole talent was being a scam artist, therefore her use of magic was only for that purpose and not for the sake of magic.

What I'm trying to say is that these three ponies in particular are super good at what their race is meant to be good at.

I guess that's true. I don't think it was done purposely though. Some ponies would be good at certain strengths and some would not.

I thought Trixie's sole talent was being a scam artist, therefore her use of magic was only for that purpose and not for the sake of magic.

Ask Rocky; I'm not the Trixie expert.

Besides, I don't think she was ever once a scam artist as much as arrogant; her talent was very similar to Twi's, albeit weaker, but she was incredibly boastful about it.

No no no guys, you're a little wrong. I think I understood what author tried to say. Okay my example will basing in classic RPG Genre game. So:

Let's imagine that three race of ponies, it's a combat classes:

Earth pony = warrior. Warriors has huge physical strength. They are hard workers. They are vary hardy. Best in melee combat. 

Unicorn = mage. Only mage's has mana and only mage's can use magic and create a new spells.

Pegasus = rogue. Unbelievable agility and speed. Fast attack speed. They has some abilities are not accessible to other classes - Invisibility (or flying if we talking about mlp universe)

So author is right:

Applejack is a true earth pony (true warrior)

Twilight Sparkle was a true unicorn (true mage, only magic build)

Rainbow Dash is a true pegasi (true rogue)

But there are also mixed classes like:

Paladin = warrior + mage

Witch = mage + rogue

Duellist = warrior + rogue

Etc. There are a lot of mixes.

So, the rest of mane 6 are "mixes" they are not "true" (it's not bad, it's makes them special:

Pinkie Pie's character is a mix of earth pony (because she's earth pony) and pegasi (warrior + rogue) She's hardy and hardworking like earth pony, and agility like pegasi.

Rarity's character is a mix of unicorn and earth pony (mage + warrior) Rarity is smart and elegant as a unicorn, and she has a strong will power as earth pony.

Fluttershy's character is a mix of pegasi and... unicorn? (rogue + mage). Fluttershy can fly, and her ability to talk with animals looks like a special magic.

So, anyway it's a great thread. Thanks to author.

P.S. Alicorns are cheaters 

Edited by zev_zev
  • Brohoof 3

Zev_zev. that was so nerdy I loved it.

The way I view the races are based on personality characteristics.

Earth pony being the down to earth, being practical type. (dunno about pinkie pie)

Pegasus being the free spirit, adventurous or whatever. i think all the pegasi so far represent that.

Unicorns being a more regal, high class character. Twilight is that as well. being well read and taught in a good school.

• Brohoof 1

That is true. But the other three show what the races can do, other than just magic, agriculture, and tricks.

Fluttershy has shown that a pegasus doesn't need to be a toughie. She shows all the grace and kindness that pegasi can have without the fancy tricks or weather skills.

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness.

Pinkie Pie has shown that an earth pony can be very unique, even without a horn or wings. She's proven that not all earth ponies need to do farming or market work.

ALICORN PARTAYYYY!

Rarity has proven that unicorns aren't just big magic tricks and showy spells. She's shown what a unicorn can do with elegance and resourcefulness without being the pish-posh ponies in Canterlot. She's given unicorns everywhere a reason to be proud of who they are, not what magic tricks they can do.

A unicorn has to be more than just muscle.

So, while it is true that Twiley, Dashie, and AJ are good examples of what their species are, they are also unique in their own ways, just like Pinkie, Fluttershy, and Rarity.

• Brohoof 2

Am I the only one that's noticed something cool with Twi, AJ, and RD? 

Twilight was originally a unicorn, and unicorns are meant to have special magic spells. Twi's talent is pretty much magic, so shes the best at being a unicorn.

Applejack is an earth pony, and they specialize in agriculture and strength. AJ is a great farmer, and shes a very strong and agile athlete too. So shes best at being an earth pony.

RD is a Pegasus, and Pegasi are skilled at flying. Rainbow Dash is talented at flying, and doing all sorts of tricks. So she is best at being a Pegasus.

It's almost like they are the main character in a children's show!

• Brohoof 2

I do see where you are coming at, Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Twilight Sparkle are the epitome and archetype of the main pony ethnicities, when you think of an earth pony, pegasus or unicorn, these are the ponies that typically fit that image. Applejack, down to earth and humble, tends to the land and shares the bounty of their crops to all ponies, Rainbow Dash, intrepid, graceful and daring that goes with flying through the sky, and Twilight Sparkle, classy, educated and regal, while she might be an elite, Twilight is not conceited, so she aware of her abilities. However, I have a lot of respect to spare for the non-conformist, those who do not follow the perceived ethic standard, like Fluttershy, Rarity and Pinkie Pie, they use their talents in non standard ways, Fluttershy is great with animals, and uses her flying to benefit them, Rarity uses her magic to make clothes and decorate, and Pinkie Pie uses her energy stature to uplift the spirits, plus her early warning detection for her fellow ponies, so it is this dynamic community make up that makes Equestria function with cooperation and harmony, no matter what ponies or their class regardless of race, they seem at peace with each other, furthermore we could apply this on our own civilization, it would behove us to learn, accept and appreciate about our similarities, and with our differences too.     

Edited by Emperor Peter

I noticed this just the other day! But it's not so much that they are "better" earth-peg-uni ponies, as much as what they do represents the unique quality of their race perfectly.

On the other hand, the other three use their racial abilities for their own important reasons, rather than simply what that race exists for traditionally.