Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Nightmare Moon Evil?

Mywas

I just been wondering since I have seen threads on wether Discord is evil or not and a thread on wether Chrysalis is evil or not I thought why not a thread about Nightmare Moon.

Now Nightmare Moon is a somehow tragic Villain but is she evil? While her backstory is tragic the things she was intending to do(killing off the creatures of Equestria) and Attacking Twilight Sparkle are certainly are evil things.

So the question is would you conceder Nightmare Moon as an evil pony?

Note: Remember that Luna and NMM are different people

Nightmare Moon was evil, there was no redeeming aspects about her at all. She was willing to commit genocide all because of being an attention whore. 

Luna was a spoiled brat and evil back in the day, modern times have mellowed her out

• Brohoof 5

Nightmare Moon is evil because, she wanted to plunge Equestria into an eternal night and get rid of Celestia for good so that she could let the night last forever. Which would be really bad for Equestria, where it would just be cold everywhere without no sunlight at all. She had her intentions though.

• Brohoof 4

Have you been watching the show dude? Nightmare Moon is fueled by jealousy and hate. Why do you think Luna is so scared of her? Princess Luna isn't evil in any way but Nightmare Moon is. Nightmare Moon is Luna's darkness thus Nightmare moon is evil. 

Edited by Vaza Raza
  • Brohoof 3

Although I agree Nightmare Moon is evil, I do think she had a point and she just went about it the wrong way. She was upset because everyone loved Celestia and not her because ponies never appreciated her work because they were always asleep during her time. In addition, it seems Luna just got unlucky as I would imagine if any of us worked toward something everyday and no one get us approval and saved it all for our sister we'd be pretty ticked.

• Brohoof 4

Why are we mentioning genocide and killing everything in equestria? Yes eternal night would cause massive death but it's not like NMM wanted to destroy everything. just anything that got in her way, then take what celestia had. If there were six ponies that could stop you from taking over what would you do? Stop them, and most likely end their lives but even nightmare moon does everything she can to stop them without inflicting harm into possible subjects. She even warns the guards instead of striking them down. She wants to rule and be adored. not be feared and despised. the worst way to start would be killing anyone. Even celestia isn't killed but who knows what the hell went on backstage. In the past things would have gone differently with how things went down but I'm sure that NMM would take control of the moon and sun once her subjects accepted her as ruler.

So evil? in a sense but the better way to put it lawful evil served with a side of corruption, tenderized for maximum quality. enjoy

• Brohoof 2

@,

Luna was planning to kill or at least depose Celestia in the past.

"There can be only one Princess in Equestria...and that Princess will be me!"

That doesn't sound like a well adjusted person

@@PsychedelicPony,

We're not sure if Luna was unappreciated, this is a huge misconception. We know that Luna wanted ponies to screw sleep and was upset because ponies sleep at night. However, we are never told that the ponies ignore her. Even if they did, going genocidal over that is petty as Hell

@@SharpWit,

Nightmare Moon was taking the toddler route to attention. By that, I mean she's basically going the route "If I can't have it, no one can"

Either that, or she was too stupid to realize the ramifications of eternal night. This is the same idiot who would rather cut off mustaches than out right stop the only threats to her

• Brohoof 3

This is the same idiot who would rather cut off mustaches than out right stop the only threats to her
If that meant not killing one of your subjects so as not to be more shunned than you already are then it's not that bad of a way to handle a situation. 

she's basically going the route "If I can't have it, no one can"  
That's what you do when you want to rule. It's called leverage

@@SharpWit,

She could have just imprisoned the Mane 6, paralyze them, capture them, anything really would be better than what she did.

No, she's ruling in a very Machiavellian style, "It's better to be feared than loved". She will bend ponies into submission via fear, she clearly wasn't trying to be nice in anyway

Basically she had evil intentions that sparked from tragedy.

She was neglected, or felt that way atleast by the other ponies while her sister got the attention. 

Eventually she turned to evil ways and at that point she was truly evil.

So yeah, shes evil more or less.

@@SharpWit,

She could have just imprisoned the Mane 6, paralyze them, capture them, anything really would be better than what she did.

If they were imprisoned, paralyzed, or captured, they would have resented her which is exactly what she didn't want. 

@@SharpWit,

They already resented her for deposing Celestia, taking over brutally and without consent, and just being a jerk  

I don't recall much in the way of brutality, and saying she's a jerk is is just a biased opinion you threw in. Same for saying she was a spoiled brat earlier. She wasn't resented to the point where they would run in fear for there lives. If she just killed them or harmed them in anyway then they would. I think I have said this a few times now, but I'll say it again. That's not what she wants

@@SharpWit,

She tried to kill the Mane 6 and banished Celestia, that's not a peaceful takeover. As for her being a jerk, you can't say she's being nice while she's insulting them constantly. "Foals, did you really think that you could stay in the light?"

For spoiled brat, when someone is smashing stuff and threatening a coup over attention issues, that makes them a spoiled brat. What does Nightmare Moon want then? Her plan had so many holes, even if the Elements hadn't come, she would have failed

• Brohoof 1

@@SharpWit,

She tried to kill the Mane 6 and banished Celestia, that's not a peaceful takeover. As for her being a jerk, you can't say she's being nice while she's insulting them constantly. "Foals, did you really think that you could stay in the light?"

For spoiled brat, when someone is smashing stuff and threatening a coup over attention issues, that makes them a spoiled brat. What does Nightmare Moon want then? Her plan had so many holes, even if the Elements hadn't come, she would have failed

She tries to deter them, not kill. She may not be peaceful, or verbally nice, but it is kind of foolish to go against someone with the equivalence to a god.

As for your definition of a spoiled brat, I must disagree because there's no mention of being spoiled and it's not just a few people/ponies. When nation you co-rule over doesn't give you any credit or even acknowledge you then somethings wrong.

She simply wanted to rule, and have the admiration of her subjects.

There were holes in her plan but with the elements being the only thing that could defeat her, I don't see how she would have failed. Could bring some light to this please?

@@SharpWit

Dropping someone off a cliff is not deterring

Again, this is a horrendous case of fanon becoming too popular. It is never said that Luna wasn't acknowledged! Luna was upset because the ponies slept in the night and played in the day, she was mad because they were diurnal. There is no evidence to say they shunned her.

Leading a coup and deposing a beloved ruler will not get you admiration, just haters.

The alicorns aren't really as powerful as people make them out to be. Discord is vastly stronger than Celestia, but he was terrified of the Tatzlworm. Celestia was also not respected by dragons, at all. To put it mildly, Nightmare Moon could easily be killed off by Spike once he's grown, a dagger in the back from an assassin, poison in her food, or just getting eaten by a Tatzlworm

• Brohoof 2

@@SharpWit

Dropping someone off a cliff is not deterring

Again, this is a horrendous case of fanon becoming too popular. It is never said that Luna wasn't acknowledged! Luna was upset because the ponies slept in the night and played in the day, she was mad because they were diurnal. There is no evidence to say they shunned her.

Leading a coup and deposing a beloved ruler will not get you admiration, just haters.

The alicorns aren't really as powerful as people make them out to be. Discord is vastly stronger than Celestia, but he was terrified of the Tatzlworm. Celestia was also not respected by dragons, at all. To put it mildly, Nightmare Moon could easily be killed off by Spike once he's grown, a dagger in the back from an assassin, poison in her food, or just getting eaten by a Tatzlworm

Making a cliff unstable is not the same as dropping a pony directly off of it.

0:39 shunned

That was why she didn't want to make things any worse. And if you take a look at china's history, this has and can happen, if you are even better than the ruler you replaced.

As for saying they're equivalent to a god. Let me be more specific. Greek gods.

You get the point though, Nightmare Moon might as well have tossed them off the cliff if she collapses it beneath their feet
I think it's a 50-50 chance that she tried to kill them in that scene. The idea might have been that if the cliff turned out to be unstable, it wouldn't be a good idea to press on. And with two pegasi along they would be fine. So I'm still going for deterring.

No, shunning someone's work doesn't mean you shun them. I can absolutely hate someone's art yet still like them as a person.
If the artist is aware of this, they may feel bad, even if the hate isn't directed at them personally. But that's still something that they created. And to an artist, that art piece is a part of them. If they wish to improve, but you give no feedback, it can drive them insane.

Twilight charged with her horn pointing up, she was just trying to get to the Elements. It was Nightmare Moon with her horn pointed forward while smiling. Nightmare Moon was insulting people even before they detained her and mocking them. Trying to kill people, insulting them, and leading a coup against a fair and just leader makes you a jerk, an unlikable person.   
Doesn't matter to the law which way a weapon is aimed while the carrier charges at someone. It's still an act of self defense. I'm not going to go into how fair or just Celestia is because that's another topic. I've stated my part on the insults, and consider going after Celestia the only confirmed attempt at killing anyone so far.

I don't think you understand what holding off means. What I meant was that Twilight was able to stall and injure the Tatzlworm, putting its durability only somewhat higher than a rock's. Why would Nightmare Moon see you coming? She's got a huge ego and was willing to let Twilight into her inner sanctum just to boast. As for armor, it's not that good. Her neck, spine, and belly are heavily exposed
I'm not sure where your basis of the durability of a rock is coming from but I would like to know. Nightmare Moon would see you coming because she is going to suspect a stranger entering her personal dominion. She's got an ego without a doubt. Armor could cover a bit more, but you still have her wings to deal with if you are standing right next to her, let alone her

@@SharpWit,

Since we're on completely different sides that are opinion based, I'll drop the evil vs good debate for now.

Now, my basis for the durability of a rock is that in Canterlot Wedding, Twilight was enraged and could only break small parts of crystals. Twilight's magic bolts pissed off and hurt the Tatzlworm, but he wasn't really harmed. Why would it be a stranger? There'd be plenty of ponies who supported Celestia who'd want Nightmare Moon dead. Her wings are actually a very tempting target. Slicing through the tendons and muscles at the base will cripple Nightmare Moon