Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Taking pinkie as a whole?

FNGRpony

Okay now i don't wanna put pinkie on a pedophile,

She's not perfect, but whens he is perfect oh God, ahem.

Some of us fans like to think of pinkie being the apple family member, maybe in a big sister or motherly role to apple bloom,

And than their's the filly vanillia pinkie pie.

and that's my question.

Is pinkie the kinda pony who'd freak out family members with out thinking like she did to flutter shy?

With out thinking?

Bad writing?
I can't answer that.  I mean she tweeked out her friends before in bridal gossip, and than there's in luna eclipsed freaking out the town,

is pinkie

a fear monger

Or a happiness engine?
Or is she both?

Is it to hard to keep up mentally with everything pinkie is?

Some writers don't know how to write Pinkie Pie correctly, which it doesn't sound as easy as it looks. So, most of it is caused by bad writing.

But the thing is Pinkie is a loving, caring, and a great friend who would sacrifice what she has to make her friends happy and seeing her friends happy makes her feel like she has a huge purpose in life. She may have made mistakes and causes some annoyance with her friends, but she will never abandon her friends.

(Ex. Too Many Pinkie Pies)

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 3

Pinkie Pie is a loving, caring, and proud friend, apprentice baker, and renowned party planner who wants nothing more in life than to make her friends smile. She seems random at times, but there is generally a method to her madness. She is genuinely smart, but often doesn't understand social cues, can't communicate her thoughts perfectly to others, is sometimes dismissive of her friends help, and is suprisingly fragile from an emotional standpoint. Pinkie has had at least three mental breaks so far in the series, and has caused a few issues amongst her friends. Her friends still love her and enjoy her company, despite having to sometimes keep her in line (usually Twi takes it upon herself to fulfill this role).

This is a summary of how I view Pinkie's character as a whole.

• Brohoof 2

First of all...  ughh.  There are way too many typos (really, really bad ones) in your first post.  I know that shouldn't really affect the way I view the content of the post, but it does.

"pedophile"? "filly vanillia"? "tweeked"?  Dx

Plus, Pinkie Pie is no one's mother figure, not even anything close.  She is more childish than Apple Bloom in some ways.  I see them as equals.

I believe that Pinkie Pie's purpose is to bring joy to others, BUT she can only achieve this by being her true self and not filtering or censoring anything.  The drawback to this is that sometimes she lets things slip out that  shouldn't.

For a while I've had this theory that Pinkie Pie might have some sort of mental illness that causes her to act so crazy all the time.  Since she's so genuinely loving and kind, has such amazing memory abilities, and seems so fixated on one particular subject (parties and fun), yet so often seems totally oblivious to how she comes across to others and doesn't always understand their feelings, I have come to the wonderful conclusion that Pinkie Pie is autistic.  

No, that is not an insult; don't even think so for a minute.  I know lots of people who have autism, and they are all delightful people.  Pinkie Pie is even my favourite pony (though not for that reason), and I like the idea that she might represent this group of often badly misunderstood people.  It would certainly explain why her friends put up with her nonsense so much (if they were good friends, they would be understanding of her condition and accept her as she is), but it would also show that a person's mental state shouldn't affect her ability to make friends and be loved.

So there you have it.  These are my thoughts on Pinkie Pie.

• Brohoof 3

Some writers don't know how to write Pinkie Pie correctly, which it doesn't sound as easy as it looks. So, most of it is caused by bad writing.

Pinkie's character at basis is random incarnate. As such, each and every writer is all but incapable of making her personality flow seamlessly. As a result, I continue to see topics like this one where Pinkie's personality is judged by episode to episode basis. In reality, trying to pin down a specific personality trend to Pinkie's personality is borderline selective memory.

• Brohoof 4

Pinkie's character at basis is random incarnate. As such, each and every writer is all but incapable of making her personality flow seamlessly. As a result, I continue to see topics like this one where Pinkie's personality is judged by episode to episode basis. In reality, trying to pin down a specific personality trend to Pinkie's personality is borderline selective memory.

I totally agree since writing Pinkie's character consistently without a mistake is a challenge, maybe comparing each of her episodes to see if she was written correctly could answer the question. Maybe now we will stop seeing that most people say that she is flaunderized.

Well said, amigo.  c:

(By the way, it's been a while since we chatted.  'sup?)

I agree somewhat, but there is in fact a personality in her despite it being inconsistent. I don't judge Pinkie in an episode-by-episode basis, instead every incarnation of her character is added to the pile for me. I've decided since the airing of 'Filli Vanilli' that I will not call OoC behavior within the show again (unless it's absurd, i.e. Twilight beats the shit out of Fluttershy without provocation), because I feel that it misses the point. These characters aren't perfect, they need wiggle-room with their characters, if Pinkie was successful at making her friends smile all the time she would be dull, yet if the characters don't retain at least something from their past lessons that lesson seems pointless. I believe that the MLP cast shouldn't be held to a rigid structure of character traits, but rather be allowed to be taken in a new direction with their traits, or have new traits added on to allow their character to have some added depth. I know it sounds weird, but I find that Pinkie's inconsistent characterization intriguing. It may in fact be why I love her character so much.

Pinkie itself is rather fun and chaotic character for the writers to take advantage so many different stories and developments can be made.

While most view her as a type who is just silly for a laugh, she is trying her best to remain positive and be there for her friends.

That's why I like here, next to rarity, she's very dynamic despite some moments of season 4.

• Brohoof 1

I've said it before, but I'll say it again; people (and yes, this includes ponies) are multi-faceted. Their behavior is not constant; they behave differently in different situations. Most of the time they display the same basic set of personality traits, but it's highly unreasonable to expect them to behave the same way all the time. Such bland, unvarying behavior leads to what is known as a "one note" character, who always has the same answer to every situation.

You're asking consistency out of inherently inconsistent, imperfect beings. People have good days, people have bad days, and they react differently on each (ever had a close friend snap at you for seemingly no reason? Proof that human/pony behavior is quite inconsistent). This is why it rubs me the wrong way to hear people moan about "OOC". If Pinkie - not to mention any of the other characters - didn't reflect the real-world dynamic of how we behave, she nor any of the others would be the 3-dimensional characters we've fallen in love with. She'd be nothing more than just another painfully trite "hyper character" stereotype that we've seen about a million-and-a-half times before.

And Pudu actually brings up a really good point. Whether or not Pinkie's really meant to be portrayed as autistic, she is an enigma compared to her friends. They have a difficult time understanding her, and clearly, she has a difficult time understanding them. But her friends don't fault her for it, and really, neither should we.

• Brohoof 4

It all comes down to how intelligent you think Pinkie Pie is.  I think this is also why different writers treat her differently.

IF you think Pinkie Pie is smart then FV was an abomination.  It was WAY outside her character because you figure she would know better etc., so it had to have been done on purpose and hence MEAN.

IF you think Pinkie Pie is below average for intelligence then FV was fine.  She was just clueless and it was in character.

Sweetie Belle has the same issue.  Some writers portray her as MUCH more intelligent than other writers.

It all comes down to how intelligent you think Pinkie Pie is.  I think this is also why different writers treat her differently.

IF you think Pinkie Pie is smart then FV was an abomination.  It was WAY outside her character because you figure she would know better etc., so it had to have been done on purpose and hence MEAN.

IF you think Pinkie Pie is below average for intelligence then FV was fine.  She was just clueless and it was in character.

Sweetie Belle has the same issue.  Some writers portray her as MUCH more intelligent than other writers.

Even smart people can have their derp moments, though.

I don't think Pinkie Pie's an idiot, but I can excuse her behavior in Filli Vanilli because I personally know what it's like to slip up and say things that seem mean without actually realizing what you sound like to other people.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again; people (and yes, this includes ponies) are multi-faceted.

And on that note:

"Pinkie is a multi-faceted character. She's not perfect. Nopony is. She's passionate, but can be oblivious she's taken things too far."

— Amy Keating Rogers (@KeatingRogers) https://twitter.com/KeatingRogers/statuses/435851234684055552

Straight from the horse's mouth. It seems that AKR has had her fair share of criticism (and downright heckling) on Twitter for Pinkie Pie in Filli Vanilli. Really fandom? This is that big of a deal? >_>

Pinkie Pie is known to speak before thinking. We have seen this illustrated many times throughout the series. Take A Friend in Deed for example when Pinkie Pie said Cranky Doodle was *really bald.* That wasn't what the guy was wanting to hear and it's the same scenario with Fluttershy in Filli Vanilli. What fans fail to realize is that Pinkie Pie wasn't INTENTIONALLY trying to hurt Fluttershy. She. Meant. Well.

To answer the question, I don't attribute her behavior to bad writing as it's just part of who Pinkie Pie is. She's so hyperactive that she doesn't always think before opening her big mouth. This is one of Pinkie's many character flaws in addition to being somewhat dense, which is why she didn't ease off right away.

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 4

You know, Amy Keating Rogers seemed really surprised by the blowback from Filli Vanilli. So, the question becomes is she clueless or is the fandom too touchy? Personally I think the fandom is too touchy. It's similar to how Josh Haber reacted to people bitching about Twilight getting ignored in Rarity Takes Manehateen. He understood fan reactions, but he also thought what he did made sense. It's obvious perhaps but the writers, cast, and staff view the characters differently than fans do and their views are as correct as our views.

Edited by Nature's Spell

I've said it before, but I'll say it again; people (and yes, this includes ponies) are multi-faceted. Their behavior is not constant; they behave differently in different situations. Most of the time they display the same basic set of personality traits, but it's highly unreasonable to expect them to behave the same way all the time. Such bland, unvarying behavior leads to what is known as a "one note" character, who always has the same answer to every situation.

You're asking consistency out of inherently inconsistent, imperfect beings. People have good days, people have bad days, and they react differently on each (ever had a close friend snap at you for seemingly no reason? Proof that human/pony behavior is quite inconsistent). This is why it rubs me the wrong way to hear people moan about "OOC". If Pinkie - not to mention any of the other characters - didn't reflect the real-world dynamic of how we behave, she nor any of the others would be the 3-dimensional characters we've fallen in love with. She'd be nothing more than just another painfully trite "hyper character" stereotype that we've seen about a million-and-a-half times before.

And Pudu actually brings up a really good point. Whether or not Pinkie's really meant to be portrayed as autistic, she is an enigma compared to her friends. They have a difficult time understanding her, and clearly, she has a difficult time understanding them. But her friends don't fault her for it, and really, neither should we.

This was the point I was trying to make in my second post, but you did it "a million-and-a-half" times better.

• Brohoof 1

You know, Amy Keating Rogers seemed really surprised by the blowback from Filli Vanilli. So, the question becomes is she clueless or is the fandom too touchy? Personally I think the fandom is too touchy. It's similar to how Josh Haber reacted to people bitching about Twilight getting ignored in Rarity Takes Manehateen. He understood fan reactions, but he also thought what he did made sense. It's obvious perhaps but the writers, cast, and staff view the characters differently than fans do and their views are as correct as our views.

The Twilight thing seems to be a choice by the entire team.  The perception filter that stops them from being mobbed for being the elements is in action for Twi's alicorn status (until broken).

As for Pinkie it is easily explained.  AKR thinks Pinkie has an IQ around 90.  With that basis everything she did was just fine.  Some fans think Pinkie has an IQ around 125.  At a 125 IQ her actions were NOT fine.

The Twilight thing seems to be a choice by the entire team. The perception filter that stops them from being mobbed for being the elements is in action for Twi's alicorn status (until broken).

As for Pinkie it is easily explained. AKR thinks Pinkie has an IQ around 90. With that basis everything she did was just fine. Some fans think Pinkie has an IQ around 125. At a 125 IQ her actions were NOT fine.

Yes I agree with your asssment of Twilight. Haber just happened to voice how the writers view things like Twilight's status or the non celebrity of the mane 6.

I never heard them pegging the IQs of the mane 6.

Edited by Nature's Spell

The Twilight thing seems to be a choice by the entire team.  The perception filter that stops them from being mobbed for being the elements is in action for Twi's alicorn status (until broken).

As for Pinkie it is easily explained.  AKR thinks Pinkie has an IQ around 90.  With that basis everything she did was just fine.  Some fans think Pinkie has an IQ around 125.  At a 125 IQ her actions were NOT fine.

AKR NEVER stated that, you're just assuming that. Also Pinkie showed regret, but fans gloss over it to say she's out-of-character, because there wasn't a direct apology. It should be noted you can have a high IQ and not understand shit when it comes to emotions (my dad is like this), but it's ok to fuck up every now and then without being referred to as an idiot.

Dave Polsky wrote 'Rarity Takes Manehattan'not Josh Haber, but yea I think the fandom is touchy at times.

Edited by DryColt84

Dave Polsky wrote 'Rarity Takes Manehattan'not Josh Haber, but yea I think the fandom is touchy at times.

That's right. I get them mixed up. Still, I think Dave's point about not having every pony fawning over Twilight is indicative of how the writers feel about it. I posted a link to the interview where he discussed it, but I can't remember what thread. Perhaps the one for the episode.

Josh Haber was the writer who first acknowledged that the ending gags had no meaning, in his case The Pony of Shadows.

Edited by Nature's Spell

I'll try not to make this as long winded as it is in my head, but Pinkie Pie as a character has been pretty weak this season.

My gripes with Pinkie Pie so far:

S4E1&2: Pinkie Pie is not a child. How would a colouring book help in any way?

S4E3: Pinkie Pie is not an idiot. She wouldn't bang her head around in a bell.

S4E6: Again, Pinkie Pie is not an idiot. Not even someone with half of a brain would run into a tornado.

S4E9: Mostly in character, but I don't think even Derpy would laugh at a piece of paper.

S4E10: She just annoyed me here. She had no real reason to be in this episode and could be written out entirely, but she wasn't too out of character.

S4E11: Pinkie Pie is not a dog. She wouldn't get distracted by balloons.

4E14: Pinkie Pie, oh my gosh. How could she go from hating Gilda for making Fluttershy cry in Griffon the brush off to making her cry in Fili Vanilli. She didn't even show any remorse for her actions. Do you really love to make your friends smile smile smile Pinkie?

The writers have shown that they know how to write Pinkie in Pinkie Pride, which by the way is my favourite episode to date. What frustrates me though was that Amy Keating Rogers wrote both Pinkie Pride and Fili Vanilli, the two episodes that show Pinkie at her best and worst.

Sorry for the rant, but I really don't understand Amy Keating Rogers in the slightest.

I'll try not to make this as long winded as it is in my head, but Pinkie Pie as a character has been pretty weak this season.

My gripes with Pinkie Pie so far:

S4E1&2: Pinkie Pie is not a child. How would a colouring book help in any way?

S4E3: Pinkie Pie is not an idiot. She wouldn't bang her head around in a bell.

S4E6: Again, Pinkie Pie is not an idiot. Not even someone with half of a brain would run into a tornado.

S4E9: Mostly in character, but I don't think even Derpy would laugh at a piece of paper.

S4E10: She just annoyed me here. She had no real reason to be in this episode and could be written out entirely, but she wasn't too out of character.

S4E11: Pinkie Pie is not a dog. She wouldn't get distracted by balloons.

4E14: Pinkie Pie, oh my gosh. How could she go from hating Gilda for making Fluttershy cry in Griffon the brush off to making her cry in Fili Vanilli. She didn't even show any remorse for her actions. Do you really love to make your friends smile smile smile Pinkie?

The writers have shown that they know how to write Pinkie in Pinkie Pride, which by the way is my favourite episode to date. What frustrates me though was that Amy Keating Rogers wrote both Pinkie Pride and Fili Vanilli, the two episodes that show Pinkie at her best and worst.

Sorry for the rant, but I really don't understand Amy Keating Rogers in the slightest.

You watch Mr. Enter's vids don't you? 

Anyway let's list off some of her Season 1 moments:

-Was very inconsiderate of Twilight's privacy in 'Friendship is Magic Part 1'.

-Thought two tickets on her face were a bat in 'Ticket Master'.

-Was oblivious to AJ's sleep deprivation, and the ingredients AJ put into the "baked bads" in 'Applebuck Season'.

-Said that Gilda could give back an apple she already ate, was oblivious to Gilda's anger at the party, and was inconsiderate of RD's wishes to leave her alone in 'Griffon the Brush Off'.

-Took the phrase "You need an invitation?" literally in 'Dragonshy'.

-Tried to be sensitive to Twilight in 'Winter Wrap-Up', but failed.

-Thought Twilight spying on her was a game despite Twi's injuries in 'Feeling Pinkie Keen'.

-Started up the Appaloosan/Buffalo battle in 'Over a Barrel'.

-Forgot her own birthday, and thought Fluttershy and RD were still telling the truth despite them having a horrible excuse in 'Party of One'.

Pinkie has always had dumb moments, but she also has moments of brilliance to back it up. Season 4 hasn't changed her character much, if at all. If there is something to blame for how you feel about her now it's how the Mane 6 have been present in all episodes that don't involve the CMC or Apple Family since 'The Crystal Empire' in Season 3, and Pinkie's aforementioned problems in a support role.

Edited by DryColt84
  • Brohoof 1