Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can a Planet similar to Equus from MLP Exist?

ScarfaceOne

The planet's called Equus? A planet of talking horses is unlikely, but not impossible. I have a policy where you have to be able to say "I've seen everything." before you say "That can't exist."

It's fun wishful thinking though. :)

It is theoretically possible for any species to evolve in intelligence, even equine. But the ability to tap into aetherical energies with an appendage on one's forehead is near to impossible.

• Brohoof 1

It is theoretically possible for any species to evolve in intelligence, even equine. But the ability to tap into aetherical energies with an appendage on one's forehead is near to impossible.

Near to impossible. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!! Wach just cuz us Bronys, we find a planit in our solar system that does... DERP

I mean, if you're one of those people who believes that this isn't the only universe floatin' around out there, then sure. Another universe wouldn't necessarily have the same properties or laws of physics as ours, so magic and shit might be possible there. This is all conjecture, of course...

Now as far as in our neck of the woods...
Our universe is supposedly infinite, meaning that there's supposedly an infinite number of planets (an infinite number of which can sustain life) orbiting an infinite number of stars in an infinite number of galaxies. When the homes for life are infinite the statistics would point to the definite possibility, if not probability, of a planet populated by cute little talking ponies. As for the magic and the ass-tattoos, that's a little shaky, but as far as the beings themselves go, sure. Why the fuck not.

Of course, by this logic, there's also a planet out there completely inhabited by intelligent 1999 Chevrolet S-10 pickup trucks. That's the one I want to visit...

• Brohoof 1

Well, according to Drakes equation, anything is possible. 

However, the probability that there is a planet inhabited solely by brightly coloured english speaking horses is inconceivably slim. 

There would be a higher chance of everyone in the world getting struck by lightning at the same time while having a world wide circle-jerk.

• Brohoof 1

Yep, as stated already by others, the odds are vanishingly small. Technically as far as we understand quantum mechanics almost anything can exist despite the constraints of classic mechanics, at least briefly. But you'd have to wait for eternities for Equestria to pop up. The universe will die several times over before we see it.

Also our brain size means we need protein and sugar, which you can only get by eating meat. So the ponies of Equestria would have to be at least omnivorous. Also if intelligent horses did exist, they would most likely have toes, as hooves are good for one thing only, running!

Talking horses? Well Honestly while neat, its nothing that would be incredibly notable. We have several animals capable of speech on Earth already, notably parrots, ravens and crows and yes even dogs that know a few phrases, despite being vocally inhibited:

What you're looking for is intelligent and sapient talking thaequines that can function at a similar level of sapience and intelligence of our own. Taking out the whole Drake's Equation and Goldilock's constant, we already have animals not only capable of replicating human speech, but of high intelligence - notably parrots and ravens. Take Alex the African Grey for example:

That's a high degree of intelligence and surprisingly a degree of intelligence that is compatible infant and young children. Given a few hundred years and/or the proper conditions to evolve animals could similar, if not superior intelligence to humans. And given the vast expanse of our universe and these basic implications, its not inconceivable, however seemingly improbable, to find a similar but equally intelligent speaking race equine or otherwise.

Talking horses? Well Honestly while neat, its nothing that would be incredibly notable. We have several animals capable of speech on Earth already, notably parrots, ravens and crows and yes even dogs that know a few phrases, despite being vocally inhibited:

What you're looking for is intelligent and sapient talking thaequines that can function at a similar level of sapience and intelligence of our own. Taking out the whole Drake's Equation and Goldilock's constant, we already have animals not only capable of replicating human speech, but of high intelligence - notably parrots and ravens. Take Alex the African Grey for example:

That's a high degree of intelligence and surprisingly a degree of intelligence that is compatible infant and young children. Given a few hundred years and/or the proper conditions to evolve animals could similar, if not superior intelligence to humans. And given the vast expanse of our universe and these basic implications, its not inconceivable, however seemingly improbable, to find a similar but equally intelligent speaking race equine or otherwise.

Actually it would take millions of years for other animals to reach intelligence, especially horses, because as I've already stated, it takes so much energy to digest plant material, they simply can't waste it on having a large brain!

I actually laughed at the question, TBH. However, I don't want to say its impossible, but I believe in the multi-universe theory, so you could say, maybe.    Yet, if there "was" such a planet, we, the humans, would probably desecrate it, b/c of our thirst for knowledge and hubris actions.

If String theory is correct. Then there is a possibility of a google to the google power of alternate universes out there. So its quite possible that every possible fantasy we think of creates a universe somewhere which means all the characters are real in some other dimention.

• Brohoof 1

Ya know, with all the billions and trillions of possible planets out their, their really COULD be an mlp verse somewhere, or maybe even a place somewhere is the vast universe where magic and the like really DO exist, oh..the thought of all the possible things out their that we don't understand is AMAZING!

If String theory is correct. Then there is a possibility of a google to the google power of alternate universes out there. So its quite possible that every possible fantasy we think of creates a universe somewhere which means all the characters are real in some other dimention.

OMG YES! The thought of adorable talking ponies  out their somewhere brings a tear to my eye! And just think, when someone creates an imaginary verse, it DOES actually exist in the creators mind!

I actually laughed at the question, TBH. However, I don't want to say its impossible, but I believe in the multi-universe theory, so you could say, maybe.    Yet, if there "was" such a planet, we, the humans, would probably desecrate it, b/c of our thirst for knowledge and hubris actions.

If we ever found adorable talking ponies, we humans (as greedy and resource thirsty as we are) would probably nuke Equestria for the sake of oil or some crap like that! :angry:

Yep, as stated already by others, the odds are vanishingly small. Technically as far as we understand quantum mechanics almost anything can exist despite the constraints of classic mechanics, at least briefly. But you'd have to wait for eternities for Equestria to pop up. The universe will die several times over before we see it.

Yet their are so many planets evolving right now even as I am typing that are evolving that we are not even aware of, if you think about it, everything you think could never exist all ready exists somewhere, as vast as the universe is, everything exists.

Crap....I need to learn to use the multi quote function! :blink:

Edited by 0blivion

Yet their are so many planets evolving right now even as I am typing that are evolving that we are not even aware of, if you think about it, everything you think could never exist all ready exists somewhere, as vast as the universe is, everything exists.

Within the physical constraints of what this universe can produce. As far as science is aware the universe is finite and it's laws remain constant within it's bounds. What you're thinking of is the concept of the multiverse, where there are other universes besides our own with perhaps radically different physical laws. Ones that can produce the potential for magic, talking horses, animate rocks, etc.

Edited by Little Black Dress
  • Brohoof 1

Within the physical constraints of what this universe can produce. As far as science is aware the universe is finite and it's laws remain constant within it's bounds. What you're thinking of is the concept of the multiverse, where there are other universes besides our own with perhaps radically different physical laws. Ones that can produce the potential for magic, talking horses, animate rocks, etc.

Hm, do you think it might even be possible that their could be different physics right here in our own universe, for instance, how do we know weather or not their is a type of matter right here in our own universe the defies everything we once thought possible in terms of physics?

Also our brain size means we need protein and sugar, which you can only get by eating meat. So the ponies of Equestria would have to be at least omnivorous. Also if intelligent horses did exist, they would most likely have toes, as hooves are good for one thing only, running!

You ought to rethink this over,, a lot. all living things need protein and sugar, that's not based on brain size alone, or as a main factor of consumption. Obviously sugar comes from plants, and plant by products such as honey, along with some other although much smaller sources. Protein is found in a wide variety of plants, especially beans and nuts. I believe you have the wrong idea on the purpose of proteins. At least when eaten, proteins are passed through the digestive system, taken apart, and turned into different protein for re-purposing. Such as muscle growth, cell replacement, and active processing and distributing throughout the body. Some of this protein will be used for the brain, but not because of intelligence/brain size. You have no basis for your toe theory since i can pretty much denounce it by asking you a question, and then answering it for you. What are toes good for? running. You might be thinking of opposable thumbs, at this point i don't know since so many things seem to to be flying in all directions at the moment. If those were what you were thinking of, then you would be wrong once again. Humans are not the species to have such useful appendages and chimpanzees are by far from being the only example. our thumbs provide us with a different way to view and use things around us other than the majority of our animal neighbors. If this is one of your ways of saying something is intelligent, then I highly question this way of observation. By these means I could say that the leaf cutter ant is intelligent because it has the ability to cut and carry leaves within its jaws but it is merely a drone driven by instinct and pheromones. Not much better than a wind up toy amongst hundreds of others. ours happens to be the one that understands that it is a wind up toy that can wind it self along with many others.

Now to answer this question, I say that the chances of at least the solar system is extremely slim. two celestial bodies orbiting a planet. one being a moon, the other a star. they are presumably  the same size and orbit evenly, exactly opposite of each other. The center planet would require a ridiculous mass to achieve the star alone, since it would have to be bigger and/or denser. then the fact that this planet is a rocky planet and has a moon the same size as the star. the chances are very slim. A more likely thing to occur would be a planetary object with a star and much smaller moon orbiting it, but the object would eventually become a star. Another thing to look at would be, how long it would take for all of this to form before that star dies out. the bigger something is, the longer it took for it to form.

• Brohoof 1

Mathematically speaking yes. Even though the odds are astronomically slim, there is a probability that Equestria exists somewhere out in the cosmos. And if space is truly infinite, then it does infact exist, but the probability of reaching the planet of the pones, is very, very, very, very, very small. 

I personally believe in our Universe limited by the laws of physics their may be a race of sapient minded anthro ponies similar to equesttria minus the magic.

Also I also believe isn the multiverse theory so their may be a universe in which they have different laws of physics that allow magic so in theory sapient ponies most likely do exist do to the near infinite number of stars, planets,galaxies, and universes.

Hm, do you think it might even be possible that their could be different physics right here in our own universe, for instance, how do we know weather or not their is a type of matter right here in our own universe the defies everything we once thought possible in terms of physics?

You can never know for sure until you go out there and check it with your own eyes, it may be that the constants of physics are miscible between pockets of our existence. But there's no theoretical or physical evidence of that being the case yet.

I think it's pretty unlikely that an herbivore would become intelligent, especially a grazer. And that they could have a technological civilization without any manipulators(hands, tentacles, claws etc) except their mouths. And then there's the magic. That's way outside our current science.

If we ever found adorable talking ponies, we humans (as greedy and resource thirsty as we are) would probably nuke Equestria for the sake of oil or some crap like that! :angry:

Oh yes.  Our greed would definitely make use glass the planet. 

• Brohoof 1

Oh yes.  Our greed would definitely make use glass the planet. 

A halo fan, I like that! :lol:  Though in halo the humans are actually in harmony with themselves because they have to band together for one single cause, to defeat the covenant! :P

• Brohoof 1