Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why punishing someone whos already learned their lesson is pointless

JayStorm

No, I'm not Chrysalis, I'm Discord. :P

There's a joke here somewhere.... :okiedokielokie:

The thing is, just because you learned the lesson does not mean that you are not going to do the exact same thing again. Punishing them when they learned the lesson isn't pointless, it prevents them from making the same mistake again.

If you do it again, then you never really learned your lesson in the first place

(edited)

Eeeyup. The episode proved what an awful writer Meghan McCarthy is and how she doesn't know how to do morals at all.

Horrible Writer? Wasn't this by Cindy Morrow? also, I think you should look at her track record

Yeah, she said I wasn't Chrysalis so I said I was a different villain. Not a great joke but the best response I could think of. :P

No, I mean a joke I can use against you

No, you're making way too much stuff up. Babs learned nothing and was rewarded for bullying others.

rewarded for bullying? I think you watched a different episode, cause if I remember correctly she was rewarded AFTER she stopped and made up with the CMC, now who's the one making stuff up? Oh and I refer you to my earlier post about not joining them but beating them like she clearly demonstrated at the end of the ep. your move

Edited by JayStorm

Horrible Writer? Wasn't this by Cindy Morrow? also, I think you should look at her track record

Whoops, you're right. Megan McCarthy has horrible taste then, I remember her hyping up this shitty episode on Twitter despite it being awful.

No, I mean a joke I can use against you

Uh, you could say I was a great character in my original appearance but was pussified to be made a recurring character for awful fanservice. ;)

rewarded for bullying? I think you watched a different episode, cause if I remember correctly she was rewarded AFTER she stopped and made up with the CMC, now who's the one making stuff up? Oh and I refer you to my earlier post about not joining them but beating them like she clearly demonstrated at the end of the ep. your move

Except she was plenty happy being with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon while bullying them and was in the end rewarded for bullying them in the first place regardless of if she was still doing it at the time. She still did it and her becoming a CMC was directly caused by it.

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress

Whoops, you're right. Megan McCarthy has horrible taste then, I remember her hyping up this shitty episode on Twitter despite it being awful.

Uh, you could say I was a great character in my original appearance but was pussified to be made a recurring character for awful fanservice. ;)

I refer you to Lesson Zero, Party of One, Sweet and Elite etc. 

pussified? You're really gonna say that? about my little pony?

(edited)

Irrelevant.

About Discord, yeah.

Irrelevant? those were all both Highly acclaimed episodes and written by Mehgan McCarthy, who you claimed was a horrible writer

Except she was plenty happy being with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon while bullying them and was in the end rewarded for bullying them in the first place regardless of if she was still doing it at the time. She still did it and her becoming a CMC was directly caused by it.

It's called being a good actor, you want her to put on a frown right in front of them?

EDIT: Ignore my horrible wording, what I'm trying to say is that if she  acted sorry for her actions in front of either the CMC, DT/SS or anyone really, BAM instant reputation gone, that kinda thing would spread like wildfire, trust m I know

Edited by JayStorm

Irrelevant? those were all both Highly acclaimed episodes and written by Mehgan McCarthy, who you claimed was a horrible writer

Did you miss the part where I admitted that I was wrong about who wrote this? :wacko:

It's called being a good actor, you want her to put on a frown right in front of them?

Except there was never any hints at all that she felt even slightly sorry about her actions or visual cue that she was faking her happiness.

Did you miss the part where I admitted that I was wrong about who wrote this? :wacko:

Except there was never any hints at all that she felt even slightly sorry about her actions or visual cue that she was faking her happiness.

You still called Mehgan a horrible writer/having no taste

the Scene where she takes over the CMC's clubhouse, that's a definite fake smile right there, and the tail still could hint at it

You still called Mehgan a horrible writer

BEFORE I admitted I was wrong about the writer. :blink:

/having no taste

Well, I don't trust her as a showrunner when shit morals like this pass.

the Scene where she takes over the CMC's clubhouse, that's a definite fake smile right there, and the tail still could hint at it

She was just shy about being a blank flank but she still loved bullying the CMC.

BEFORE I admitted I was wrong about the writer. :blink:

Well, I don't trust her as a showrunner when shit morals like this pass.

She was just shy about being a blank flank but she still loved bullying the CMC.

OBJECTION! That sounds awfully headcanon-ish(Note: I realize the hypocrisy of this statement, deal with it  B) )

Punishment for those who have already learned from their mistakes is pointless in my eyes. If they have truly learned something then their own guilt would be punishment enough. There are cases where additional punishment would be for the best, but I consider those to be for more extreme cases.

You also have to keep in mind that not everyone reacts well to punishment. I would usually just get really mad, especially if the punishment involved some form of physical contact. That only ever happened once though.

• Brohoof 1

Nah, it's what was presented in the show.

Ok fine I  concede that, HOWEVER!, I myself did the exact same thing Babs did, and I think anyone can understand this, when you're on bottom, there is much more staisfaction when you're on top, trust me I got lost in this too, so add that to the list of interpretary morals

Punishments are pointless in fiction and real life. Natural consequences are the closest thing to punishment that actually helps a person learn and grow, and they did exist in both of those episodes.

In Sweet and Elite Rarity tried to live a double life and suffered the consequence of having no time to spend properly at either party. She also ultimately chose to stick by her friends at the risk of her Canterlot reputation, which she would have lost as a natural consequence if not for Fancy Pants' classy tact.

Babs chose to deal with her own low self-esteem by becoming a bully herself and suffered the natural consequence of having almost no time to spend with her cousin during her visit to Ponyville. Plus she was obviously very sad and frightened in many of the scenes where she was bullying the others. This was also a natural consequence of her choice.

• Brohoof 1