Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight, growing up.

applejock

So I have always been under the impression that Twi, is the youngest of the Mane 6. She really strikes me as a sophmore in college type. That being said, over the past 4 years we have seen a TON of development in her. Of course her being the main character helps but, more so then that, I am of the belief we are starting too see the role of Princess coming out in her natural want to teach, educate, or just help other Ponies understand new things.

With the big after-shock of Twilight going Super Saiyan (becoming a Princess) having worn off, we are really starting to see this character be a purple reflection of her mentor, Princess Celestia...who we have BARELY SEEN THIS SEASON...sigh -.-

The role of Princess must be a horrible weight, the four of them seem to be dragged down, despite being so much larger (and in Twis case, growing) size. But Twilight is taken too it like a fish to water, and her relationships are changing because of it. Just like when we where pups and had our "super important" friendships or relationships, they changed as we aged. No longer is Twilight the doofy dork-mare who rushs off to help her friends or her own curiosity. She has put on a new lab coat, one of patience and guidance.

So about now your saying "Jock, WE KNOW DUDE! We have all seen the same episodes, why are you bringing this up?". Well, because its so damn...subtle!! I love that! Every episode we see Twiley these days she is just a tad bit more mature, a bit more in depth in her actions and really, thats just brilliant story boarding.

........Now if only more shallow characters like the Yellow One, and Dashie could get the deep brushing that Twilight or Rarity have recieved.

GIVE-US-MORE-CELESTIA! Her minions require the best Flank in Equestria!

• Brohoof 2

rainbow_dash_sad__2_by_thechouken-d56zih

How could you say that Rainbow Dash is a shallow character?

That aside, while I don't think Twilight is the youngest of the mane 6, I do see your point about the weight of her new role.  I like how it's being explored bit by bit.  I think episode 90 will center on her moving into her castle permanently.  Maybe Discord will show up to mess with her.  She seems to have almost completely come to terms with her new position.

• Brohoof 3

Whoa nelly! I love ALL the girls...but Queen Rarity is still best pony darling. Dashie is just so...hmm, resistent to growing up and changing, we all hope scoots is the one that flips that coin.

Twiley has sat at number 4 slot on my list for a while but I respect her,want to see her in her castle....and I swear if they retcon princess twilight back to unicorn Twi for sake of shock season ending I am gonna lose it!

It's actually *Twily

But I can understand what you're saying, I believe. While I never though of Twilight Sparkle as the youngest of the Mane 6, it does seem that she has matured quite a bit since she became a Princess. But hey, I guess that should be expected becoming a big leader, right? I mean, she was always hinted to be the leader of the Mane 6, but now it just seems more official. ^^

Whoa nelly! I love ALL the girls...but Queen Rarity is still best pony darling. Dashie is just so...hmm, resistent to growing up and changing, we all hope scoots is the one that flips that coin.

Twiley has sat at number 4 slot on my list for a while but I respect her,want to see her in her castle....and I swear if they retcon princess twilight back to unicorn Twi for sake of shock season ending I am gonna lose it!

Why would they do that? I think that the possibility of Twi turning back into a unicorn is slim to none at this point.

I think Twilight growing as a character is always a good thing, but I don't think she is the youngest out of the bunch. The weight of the role as a princess is something that can get to her but at the same time, she finds a way to handle it.

Hmm, Twilight growing. I have noticed a huge difference in her appearance ever since the season 3 finale. Oddly, she never has struck me as the youngest. lol
I thought she was at least somewhere in the middle. I thought Pinkie Pie was the youngest, perhaps, judging by her childish hyper behavior. :3
Just a though, though.

She possibly is growing up. I think they all are in a way, but maybe she is more, because she did have more to learn from day 1.

GIVE-US-MORE-CELESTIA! Her minions require the best Flank in Equestria!

No...no...no...kill it with stabby things!

inb4 Twilight becomes a new mentor figure and they replace her with some other background character

But yep, she's had the most explicit character development over the course of these four seasons. It's quite nice that something's changing even in such a slice-of-life dominated series, and in such a well executed manner.

inb4 Twilight becomes a new mentor figure and they replace her with some other background character

That would probably kill the show.

it is the cancer that is killing /MLP/

That's pretty much an outcome for a spin-off. I don't think Hasbro has the balls to hit that mark yet.

(edited)

Twilight's character arc makes this show that much better. I couldn't think of any of MLP's closest competitors pulling the same kind of thing off. She is, of course, priority #1 for the show staff being the main character, but there are 5 others (and also Spike, but who working this show cares about Spike?). So far, they've actually been doing at least some good regarding the other 6. The whole purpose of the "key" episodes is the Mane 6, who were all students in season 2, becoming the teachers by setting examples for others in season 4. That's not to say no one got screwed on this, some have gotten shafted. "Rainbow Falls" was a half-baked copy of "Wonderbolts Academy" and Applejack still has not gotten a focus episode that did not rely on her family or her job for conflict, not to mention the pretty "meh" episode Fluttershy got and the countless Flanderizations in certain episodes (and also Spike, but who cares about Spike?).

Edited by WindChaserPegasus