Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

URGENT! US Volcanic Activity!

Celestial Wish

If he lives long enough to experience it that is. Most government agencies predict a 40% casualty rate in the first couple of weeks. If he by some mirical survives that, then he can die to the volcanic winter. But that is after the massive panic. The riots. The looters. Then the immediate loss of food supply.

Really? :mellow:

Thanks for reassuring me. >_>

Lol, it's alright. ^_^

I'm pretty sure we'll all be fine. If not, we had fun while it lasted, right? :blink:  :lol:

Oh, and BTW, I'm a she, not a he. :lol:

Really? :mellow:

Thanks for reassuring me. >_>

Lol, it's alright. ^_^

I'm pretty sure we'll all be fine. If not, we had fun while it lasted, right? :blink:  :lol:

Oh, and BTW, I'm a she, not a he. :lol:

well, if you are a she then you really would need to watch out for looters and raiding teams. But ya, either your lungs would be cut to hamburger due to the abrasive nature of the ash. Or you would be killed by the mobs of starving people. Or you would die due to hunger. Or die in a FEMA refugee camp.

It's nice to have a positive thinker, and I'm not trying to sound pessimistic. I am only trying to spread the word since in the passed 3 hours I've been shocked to see how many people seriously don't know what is going on these days.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to hear about it. I legitimately did not know until now.  :)

However, I just don't want you to worry too much about it without taking what you hear with a good deal of salt--from what I've seen, the human race has been predicting and theorizing about its destruction for a 'long' time to come, or at least since they reached some magic level of astronomy/biology/geology and weapon technology.

Yes, preparation is good, but often it makes less of a guaranteed impact than you may think. Ultimately it's for your own comfort and peace of mind.  :)

Also, just because some bow-tie executive says "no" to a possible eruption, how do we not know that the higher-ups aren't demanding them to stick to the NEED TO KNOW basis. Of course they don't want wide-spread panic so of course they're going to make sure information is disclosed and hush-hushed. 

We don't. Don't believe everything of what you hear, but at the same time, what you hear is more often more accurate than imagination, but less accurate than historic evidence.  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

well, if you are a she then you really would need to watch out for looters and raiding teams. But ya, either your lungs would be cut to hamburger due to the abrasive nature of the ash. Or you would be killed by the mobs of starving people. Or you would die due to hunger. Or die in a FEMA refugee camp.

I think scaring the frantic person is a counter, not progression. 

• Brohoof 1

WAIT WHAT?! :blink:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :huh:

Okay, now you're freaking me out!!! :o

Will this reach Ohio?! :umad:

Is this real?! :okiedokielokie:

ARE WE GOING TO DIE?!?!?!?!?!?!? :(

Sorry, I panic easily. Will this be the end of the U.S.?! This is freaking me out, I'm really concerned now. :o

My parents don't tell me this kind of stuff cause they don't think I'm 'mature' enough to know. I'm 13. >_>

dramatic_rarity_by_mezkalito4p-d4d68u8.g

By the way the area looks, Ohio would be a safe place for the beginning of the problem. The one good time to live in Ohio.

Well i'm assuming if this vulcano DOES explode i'm not saying it will not yet at least the ash cloud would probably spread around the globe.

if that's the case then fuck

I'm wondering, how safe would Illinois be?

Response below.

Well i'm assuming if this vulcano DOES explode i'm not saying it will not yet at least the ash cloud would probably spread around the globe.

if that's the case then fuck

That. ^

That is a super-volcano. It is more powerful, and possibly one of the most aggressive volcanoes on the planet. If that thing were to go off, the entire planet would receive a 20 degree drop on the surface resulting a Volcanic Winter. Ash would coat the sky for very long time.

I'm wondering, how safe would Illinois be?

Anywere in North America would not be a very safe place to be in the event of such an eruption. The midwest bread basket would be covered in ash, and that alone would cause massive problems for every state. And that is not considering the issue of ash inhalation.

• Brohoof 1

@@Celestial Wish,

So it will be the end of almost every living thing on earth? 

The US for sure would drastically be affected and the rest of world, we can't even say that the Yellowstone's eruption could cause a chain reaction to the other volcanoes on the globe... 

Every one please just take it easy, you're scaring people half to death on here.

My intention was not to scare people, I wanted to warn people because of recent events. I'd rather people know than to be ignorant of the world around them. My focus was not to drive fear but caution. Awareness. 

(edited)

Every one please just take it easy, you're scaring people half to death on here.

I stand by my assertion that the world could have theoretically (the good kind, backed up with logic and such) ended many times by now, and still has several pending scenarios for this to just add to the list of.

...And that I don't see this as something to panic over just yet, especially given all the respectable arguments/talk against it being something to panic over just yet.  :)

Edited by SFyr

My intention was not to scare people, I wanted to warn people because of recent events. I'd rather people know than to be ignorant of the world around them. My focus was not to drive fear but caution. Awareness. 

I believe you may mean MIS-awareness. This is no serious matter, and has in fact happened many times before. As stated in the included USGS report of the earthquake you speak of, this is likely no a sign of an actual problem but simply a small uplift of the area. The chances of a full-sized (caldera forming, catastrophic) eruption are something on the order of 1*10^-7 to one, and a 4.8 magnitude earthquake really isn't that bad. Even if there's an eruption, it won't black out the sun for months unless something MAJOR changes in the next few months. Please stop being a sensationalist. Thanks.

Said article:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/uu60061837#summary

• Brohoof 1

There's pretty much nothing we can do about this.  I've heard about it and the likely hood of it happening without our lifetime is very slim.  I don't think there's much reason to worry.  Besides, we'll be dead so it doesn't really matter.

I believe you may mean MIS-awareness. This is no serious matter, and has in fact happened many times before. As stated in the included USGS report of the earthquake you speak of, this is likely no a sign of an actual problem but simply a small uplift of the area. The chances of a full-sized (caldera forming, catastrophic) eruption are something on the order of 1*10^-7 to one, and a 4.8 magnitude earthquake really isn't that bad. Even if there's an eruption, it won't black out the sun for months unless something MAJOR changes in the next few months. Please stop being a sensationalist. Thanks.

Said article:

The Genius has spoken.

But i swear if this becomes another "2012 end of the world thing" i'm just gonna be mad

Said article:

As @SFyr said to me before.. I did panic at first and even some of my friends did. I wanted to warn other people. There is no harm is being aware of something even when it is not in the present or near future that possibilities can occur. 

People are taking life for granted, and we never know when something could happen. THAT is why I wanted to post something to the public. It never hurts to know and be aware of anything.

The Genius has spoken.

But i swear if this becomes another "2012 end of the world thing" i'm just gonna be mad

no... that was the most ridiculous thing I had ever seen. @.@

Hello CW. TTTIIIMMMEEE ab_d.

I won't deny it, with all these events happening this year (and years before), I wouldn't be surprised if the volcano did its work. Although what's his name cited an article that an eruption would be very unlikely anyways, and we would be informed of any news as soon as possible, so no need to worry (too much) right away!

Hmm.. I wonder where is the safest place in the world..

(edited)

As @SFyr said to me before.. I did panic at first and even some of my friends did. I wanted to warn other people. There is no harm is being aware of something even when it is not in the present or near future that possibilities can occur. 

People are taking life for granted, and we never know when something could happen. THAT is why I wanted to post something to the public. It never hurts to know and be aware of anything.

No harm done, and I'm all for knowing how easily the world can kill you, or bothering to do good things without assuming five years from now things will be nearly as stable as they are now.  :derp:  And, I like a little news.

But, I would suggest watching how this plays out, and seeing if something similar-feeling ever happens in the future.  :muffins:

no... that was the most ridiculous thing I had ever seen. @.@

I at least found it interesting how quickly it was dropped like, a week before the end of the world was supposed to happen.  :muffins: Was like, social/psychological observation worthy.

Edited by SFyr

The Genius has spoken.

Y-you think of me as a genius? AWESOME! Yeah, it's stuff like this that makes me wonder why scientists let the media have ANY information... Then again, I'm not a genius, I'm just observant.

There's a difference between making people aware and scaring them. If you actually wanted to make people aware, you'd post an actual scientific piece in your OP, delete that debunked video, and state that while a majority of geologists agree that the chance of a catastrophic eruption occurring in the next few years is ASTRONOMICALLY unlikely, the media has taken a single event and over-blown it to amazing proportions in order to get more ratings than the next guy (See: Bengazi, Flight 370, any time the LHC has been turned on).

Life is too short to spend agonizing about what COULD kill us when the real danger is people like the writers of those articles (and to a lesser extent you, no personal attack meant) trumping up every little thing that happens.

• Brohoof 1

Life is too short to spend agonizing about what COULD kill us when the real danger is people like the writers of those articles (and to a lesser extent you, no personal attack meant) trumping up every little thing that happens.

Check this sentence right here, this is the way you live my friends. Sure it helps to know the ways you're probably gonna kick it in the future, but you should try to not let it worry you!

@@Celestial Wish,

Making people aware of this even though the likely hood of it happening in our lifetime is slim might cause people to make another "2012 end of the world" thing. 

But like I said before, how do we know it WON'T be in our lifetime? Everything is 50/50. Look at what happened to Japan in 2011. Chile just got hit by a 8.2 earthquake. Seriously, we never know what's going to happen. Why are people so stuck on "nothing is going to happen in my lifetime" how do you know that? I'm not trying to freak anyone out, but when I saw this... it just made me realize even more how fragile our lives can be. 

But like I said before, how do we know it WON'T be in our lifetime? Everything is 50/50. Look at what happened to Japan in 2011. Chile just got hit by a 8.2 earthquake. Seriously, we never know what's going to happen. Why are people so stuck on "nothing is going to happen in my lifetime" how do you know that? I'm not trying to freak anyone out, but when I saw this... it just made me realize even more how fragile our lives can be. 

Yeah but there's no need to panic about it. Like, it happens we can't do anything about it anyways. No need to worry about it. Lets focus on the problems that are manmade that we can fix. If humanity is united and has better tech even Yellowstone might potentially be solvable. Focus on living your life and doing your part.

Actually, it isn't. The idea that everything is 50/50 is a logical fallacy, and the belief that it's 'not going to happen in my lifetime' is usually backed up by a consensus of scientists and years of statistical evidence.