Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

URGENT! US Volcanic Activity!

Celestial Wish

There's a difference between making people aware and scaring them. If you actually wanted to make people aware, you'd post an actual scientific piece in your OP, delete that debunked video, and state that while a majority of geologists agree that the chance of a catastrophic eruption occurring in the next few years is ASTRONOMICALLY unlikely, the media has taken a single event and over-blown it to amazing proportions in order to get more ratings than the next guy (See: Bengazi, Flight 370, any time the LHC has been turned on).

Life is too short to spend agonizing about what COULD kill us when the real danger is people like the writers of those articles (and to a lesser extent you, no personal attack meant) trumping up every little thing that happens.

I will point out that it's near inevitable that they're gonna hear about it (or something similar) from somewhere, someday, so coming to terms with like, sorting through stuff like this isn't a horrible thing to do.  :) But as Celestial Wish said, she may have overreacted a bit; it happens.  :lol:  With a lot of people, actually.

-Sigh- I try to warn people because I care, and of course people are going to bop me on the nose. 

On another note: who debunked the video? I want to see who states that it is false. Links. @.@

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

But like I said before, how do we know it WON'T be in our lifetime? Everything is 50/50. Look at what happened to Japan in 2011. Chile just got hit by a 8.2 earthquake. Seriously, we never know what's going to happen. Why are people so stuck on "nothing is going to happen in my lifetime" how do you know that? I'm not trying to freak anyone out, but when I saw this... it just made me realize even more how fragile our lives can be. 

Again, we don't, but there's another aspect you need to consider.  ;)  You're a TON more likely to die from the mundane from the extraordinary.

By stepping outside, getting into a moving vehicle, or just being around moving objects or ingesting something you don't know what created/harvest it, you're putting your life at risk.

The risk is marginal, but again, as a whole it adds up to a lot higher chance of death than major disasters and such.

Life IS fragile.

But it's fragile in the sense that it is so easily broken by so many things.

Yet, at the same time, it can be resilient too.  :yay:  Very much so.

-Sigh- I try to warn people because I care, and of course people are going to bop me on the nose. 

On another note: who debunked the video? I want to see who states that it is false. Links. @.@

So it's said, thank you for caring.  :)

*bops nose*

Honestly, I've been legitimately scared of stuff like this for a long while, at least in some measure--still am a bit, but I've just grown used to there always being some kind of theoretical threat overhead.  :lol:

So, live life to the fullest?  :derp:

And, continue to pay attention to what goes on in the world: just try to remember that people are sensationalist and prone to undue excitement.

Edited by SFyr

(edited)

@@Celestial Wish

HOWEVER a Vulcano eruption is predictable it can't simply happen without some kind of warning 

No offense but your starting to sound over paranoid about this.

No I'm no longer freaking out actually. I calmed down about an hour ago, now I'm just wondering why people are so dead set on things not happening. How are we so sure?

My boss tells me I over-think ALOT and its because of how my brain processes information. I'm so curious on why the world takes things for granted so strongly. I do accept the concept of living life without a worry, that's a nice concept, and one with less headaches. However, I'm someone who wants to know what is going on and what could happen that way I can somehow take precautions (even when the possibility of survival is 0). I'm a fighter, that's how I am.

so I wanted to let people know because I was shocked of how many people DON'T KNOW. It's insane how wrapped up we all are in our worlds of comfort when disaster could happen. That's what I'm speaking about right now... 

Edited by Celestial Wish
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

The likelihood of the volcano exploding to epic proportions resulting in millions of deaths is highly unlikely.

Panic spreads like wildfire and can result in people assuming the worst.

Here is a link to Yellowstone's website. Here, questions About the volcano and the effects are answered.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/naturescience/volcanoqa.htm

Please spread this information.

Edited by Samurott77
  • Brohoof 1

@@Celestial Wish

People don't need to know it yet because the possbility of it making another "2012 end of the world" thing is likely, I do NOT want people all over the internet going "AHHH THE SUPER VULCANO GUNNA EXPLODE THE WORLD IS GONNA END A[WUI[bFAUWBFUA LETS PRAY TO GOD IT DOESN'T HAPPEN AUF9ABFAUWB" 

No offense to christians btw that's just an example

• Brohoof 1

@@Celestial Wish

People don't need to know it yet because the possbility of it making another "2012 end of the world" thing is likely, I do NOT want people all over the internet going "AHHH THE SUPER VULCANO GUNNA EXPLODE THE WORLD IS GONNA END A[WUI[bFAUWBFUA LETS PRAY TO GOD IT DOESN'T HAPPEN AUF9ABFAUWB" 

No offense to christians btw that's just an example

If I were to have said "OMG GUYS WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE" then I could see your point on bopping me on the nose for that...

but I didn't.

I even BOLDLY said that 

Important note: I AM NOT SAYING THAT THE VOLCANO IS INDEFINITELY GOING TO ERUPT. I AM JUST SPREADING THE WORD AND BEING CAUTIOUS. 

-sigh-

(edited)

We are all going to die!!! Wait I live in Southern Texas..... I can just get on a boat and survive off of Fish eyes and Fish flesh... But still.

the_twipocalypse_cometh_by_starbolt_81-d

I'm kidding, someone like me knows that there is an extremely low chance that this could happen,^^^ And as long as people don't do that ^^^ and actually start getting prepared and evacuate the area of where the lave will strike we will be okay. And we will be fine with the ash just make sure you bring a gasmask.

Edited by T for Timesetta

dont%20panic.jpg

... But if there are signs of radon gas levels rapidly increasing in that area, I'm going to be very nervous. I think we'll be safe though, the chances of it blowing its top are still pretty low. If it does errupt though, well, blame me for jinxing it.

And on a side note, I'm rather impressed that the bison were following the rules of the road. Quite considerate of them if I may say so.

• Brohoof 4

I will point out that it's near inevitable that they're gonna hear about it (or something similar) from somewhere, someday, so coming to terms with like, sorting through stuff like this isn't a horrible thing to do.  :) But as Celestial Wish said, she may have overreacted a bit; it happens.  :lol:  With a lot of people, actually.

I know, an I probably over-reacted a bit in my reply, but it's a pet peeve of mine to see people say 'Hurr-durr HUFFPO SAID WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE FOR THE THIRD TIME THIS WEEK AND THEY'RE RIGHT THIS TIME GUYS!' As someone who respects science, and lives in an earthquake prone area, it annoys me when I see such a blatant over-reaction and people acting like this is a Michael Bay movie.

I apologize for that. I mis-read the timestamp on the interview as it debunked a previous example of animals 'running' from the Yellowstone supervolcano.

If I were to have said "OMG GUYS WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE" then I could see your point on bopping me on the nose for that...

but I didn't.

I even BOLDLY said that

You boldly said that (I believe you mean that you said it IN bold, as opposed to boldly saying that implying that that would be against the consensus) amid a post that was otherwise filled with partial information implying imminent danger. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this, but you also fail to cite a singe scientific resource as part of your claims.

I know, an I probably over-reacted a bit in my reply, but it's a pet peeve of mine to see people say 'Hurr-durr HUFFPO SAID WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE FOR THE THIRD TIME THIS WEEK AND THEY'RE RIGHT THIS TIME GUYS!' As someone who respects science, and lives in an earthquake prone area, it annoys me when I see such a blatant over-reaction and people acting like this is a Michael Bay movie.

I apologize for that. I mis-read the timestamp on the interview as it debunked a previous example of animals 'running' from the Yellowstone supervolcano.

You boldly said that (I believe you mean that you said it IN bold, as opposed to boldly saying that implying that that would be against the consensus) amid a post that was otherwise filled with partial information implying imminent danger. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this, but you also fail to cite a singe scientific resource as part of your claims.

Yeah sorry XD I messed up on my post. I now have a headache because I got so upset. I have people I care about in that area that's why.. I kinda freaked @.@ 

I'm sorry everypony. I didn't mean to cause any panic or stress. I just have some people out there who are important to me and I just wanted to share the info because, I know there are other people like me who have loved ones near dangerous zones. I know danger comes any day from anything, it's just that was very scary. 

I am sorry -bows head-

• Brohoof 1

Yeah sorry XD I messed up on my post. I now have a headache because I got so upset. I have people I care about in that area that's why.. I kinda freaked @.@ 

I'm sorry everypony. I didn't mean to cause any panic or stress. I just have some people out there who are important to me and I just wanted to share the info because, I know there are other people like me who have loved ones near dangerous zones. I know danger comes any day from anything, it's just that was very scary. 

I am sorry -bows head-

Just remember the importance of delivery in the future. If you'd delivered the message with clean sentences and no gratuitous effects it would have had more of an informative effect. But the way it's formatted now, you're pretty much telling your audience to flip the fuck out.

I am sorry -bows head-

Can you please edit your OP then? As someone who lives in the 'danger zone', I know the feeling, but believe me when I say that being sensationalistic makes it much worse. Don't worry, today we had a drill where we had a mock guy with a gun go from room to room and 'kill' anyone he saw. That was terrifying. So just chill and remember that delivery is 90% of getting information across. And that it'll all be ok when we're embraced by the one true statistic 10/10 people die.

*Hugs*

I also found something that seems rather interesting regarding gun rights during natural disasters in Nebraska as well.

""Senator Christensen is pushing for a vote on Legislative Bill 390 which would prevent governors from limiting the sale or transportation of firearms after a natural disaster, in an attempt to allow the citizens of Nebraska the right to protect their own property.

As obvious as the notion of defending your home in the wake of a disaster sounds to people, this bill came about because of a reprehensible move made by the New Orleans Police Department after Hurricane Katrina.   When the hurricane left and clean up began, the NOPD confiscated an exorbitantly large number of guns.  Police officers claim that the guns were either stolen or found in abandoned properties, however there have been assertions made that the police department was trying to disarm its citizens.  Natural disasters are a part of life, unfortunately they also tend to bring out the worst characteristics in human beings.  Certain people will think noting of breaking into another person’s home or business, helping themselves to what ever is around.  The last thing that an innocent person needs is to face someone with an impaired sense of right-and-wrong unarmed.

Senator Christensen understands that fear, that is why he has worked with the National Rifle Association (NRA) to introduce and help pass LB 390.  If passed, this bill will prevent Nebraskans from ever having to know the fear of staring down a morally-impaired looter unarmed.  Nebraska is not the first state to introduce this kind of legislation.  The NRA has worked with 34 different legislatures to pass similar laws.  Presently, emergency powers laws are pending in Colorado, Iowa, Massachusetts and Washington.

The bill was first introduced in January of 2013.  The original bill would have banned officials from confiscating handguns and ammunition.  However the proposal was ridiculed by Senator Ernie Chambers (I-Omaha), on the grounds that Nebraska should also confiscate knives, hammers, steel-toed boots and other tools that could be used as weapons.  LB 390 was sent to the Judiciary Committee with an amendment to it.  Fortunately the bill was carried over the 2014 legislative session and became a priority bill of Senator Christensen.  Presently the bill is pending.""

So, why would they just randomly bring up such a bill, now don't get me wrong, this is ACTUALLY a good bill, but out of all the times to bring this up..why now? What do the mean by "natural disasters" Do they mean something small such as a tornado, flood etc, OR are they referring to something much bigger, such as on a global scale bigger?

Not trying to be a tin foil hat wearing lunatic, just seems a bit odd that they just HAPPEN to bring that up with the recent earth quakes in Yellowstone, just a bit of food for thought.

Source: http://universalfreepress.com/nebraska-senator-pushing-for-emergency-powers-gun-bill/

Hmm.... Not convinced...... A massive eruption maybe hundreds of years down the road,,,

Or it could be tomorrow, ya never know, all we can do is enjoy everyday we live and hope that is is not our last.

(edited)

When yellows stone blows,( if it does that is), not only will half of America be completely destroyed, but the res of the world will be completely covered by the huge ash cloud, probably causing a mini ice age, having a possibility to end life as we know it. And there will probably be some tsunamis as well.

No need to panic though, humanity will pull through, but going on holiday to Germany May be good idea to avoid most of the geographical threats (explosions, tsunamis, follow up earthquakes etc) it's the middle of Europe, so the biggest threat will be the ash.

Edited by joecal97
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I've seen article about this dating back to 2005 and that was nearly a decade ago.

I'm not saying that this will never ever happen, but as someone with anxiety I've worried about stuff like this for years (because of sensationalist media-all of which turned out to be false) until I realized there's no point in worrying about something you can't control.

It's definitely good that you are trying to look out for those you care about, though.