Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

news Who's lived through a volcanic eruption?

PCutter

Because as I type, I hear rumblings of the nearby volcano in my area. There's dangerous ashfall around me and my cars and street are caked in it. And I keep seeing so much volcanic lightning, even though it's not raining.

I think it's the first time in my life I'm experiencing a volcanic eruption alive.

There's no lava right now, but the ash could be problematic for me, because I was born an asthmatic.

No, but we have yellowstone whcih is a ticking time bomb. When that sucker decides to go critical I think we are all in a bit of trouble to be honest. 

• Brohoof 2

Lived through many. But the one who has personally been in the most danger ever would have been my mother. 

The volcanic eruptions I have lived through have usually been rather far away from any settlements and those near have always been evacuated. The worst it has done personally done to me is cover everything in ash which is a bit of a pain to clean. But the volcanic eruptions here in Iceland have always been worse for European flight/air traveling rather than for us Icelanders. 

The story for my mom is a bit different. In 1973 a terrible volcanic eruption began on the main island of the Westman Islands where the majority of the island chain live in. My mother was visiting her grandparents when it happened. It happened at night, people woke up and a mass evacuation began as the island was emptied of all people, some firefighters tried to slow down the flow of lava with their waterhoses and even drawing water from the sea. The kids were the first ones to be evacuated, so my mom was put on board with a bunch of kids and arrived on the mainland a few hours later and she had to wait there for a long time with a number tag on her until her parents finally got to her.

Only one person died in that event and a lot of homes were lost. These homes have recently been dug up and what has been discovered has been fascinating, how the ash has preserved most items that were found inside those houses. A museum has been built around the dug up homes and people can visit it if they want. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not yet, but I will provide an update when it happens!

(edited)
7 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

Not until Yellowstone goes off. I'm not near there but I think the whole midwest would be affected by that.

I’m pretty sure the whole world is screwed if when that happens, to varying extents.

Edited by Sonic Shimmer