Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favourite two-parter or season finale?

AppleCrackers

My favorite one is probably Magical Mystery Cure. Sure, it was rushed but I still enjoyed it none the less. It had some great songs in it, and it was a nice way to end Season 3.

Meh it had too much songs in it

Canterlot Wedding was best

• Brohoof 1

Favorite two parter is Return of Harmony as Discord was the last push to get me to try the show and favorite finale is Canterlot Wedding two parter. We saw action, suspense, deceit, a new race introduced and more.

• Brohoof 1

For me it is either... A Canterlot Wedding or...

Magical...Mystery Cure... *FLAMESHEILD UP*'

xD

FREAKING COPYCAT, THOSE ARE MY FAVORITES TOO. The former is because it was the definite episode which made me joing the fandom, and the latter was because I got overwhelmed by joy to the point of crying, and I improved as a person because of it (I was depressed and hopeless before that)

• Brohoof 1

FREAKING COPYCAT, THOSE ARE MY FAVORITES TOO. The former is because it was the definite episode which made me joing the fandom, and the latter was because I got overwhelmed by joy to the point of crying, and I improved as a person because of it (I was depressed and hopeless before that)

I can relate :) the whole scence within Celestia's Ballard was darn emotional and so, so rewarding :)

(edited)

A Canterlot Wedding by far, 2 very solid episodes, they have a lot of good points, and a great villain.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

In my opinion, the best finale can be either The Best Night Ever, or Magical Mystery Cure, depending on how you look at it.

As an episode, Magical Mystery Cure was better as the songs were great and the pacing was well done (For a one part episode - I've always thought it should have been a two parter). But the central idea of Twilight becoming a princess was something that came too soon and because of that I enjoyed The Best Night Ever more. The Best Night Ever was being built up throughout the entire season and I enjoyed it. It's one of my favorite episodes of the show in fact.

My favorite two parter would be The Return of Harmony.

• Brohoof 1

Let me rank them, shall we?

1. A Canterlot Wedding-- despite the fact that it ends with a deus ex machina, the mechanics of the Changelings feeding on love a bit confusing, and not more clearly connecting Twilight's role in the plot with the ultimate ending, I still rank it a 10/10 for bringing in new facets of Twilight's background very well on such short notice, communicating her frustration with the "new" Cadence and surprise that no one else sees problems superbly (I didn't even have much of a problem with her throwing out her accusations the way she did, as people can be less straight-thinking when it comes to their family), for the supremely inspired "This Day Aria", and for the great balance of humor and drama throughout.  If it is as massively flawed from a writing perspective as some people seem to believe, it does well making those flaws seem like minor concerns.

And now, the others:

2. Magical Mystery Cure-- Although it is an extremely rushed episode and throws a lot of the previous worldbuilding on cutie marks and magic into turmoil, the songs were for the most part inspired and clever ("What My Cutie Mark is Telling Me" and "A True, True, Friend" are easily the best though), and it was self-aware enough about Twilight's ascension into alicornhood and royalty that my previous doubts about the course the show would take afterwards were very much quelled.

3. Princess Twilight Sparkle-- More obviously flawed and less coherent than "A Canterlot Wedding", I still consider it a good if imperfect follow-up to "Magical Mystery Cure" and a likable episode in its own right, especially in the aesthetic department and the welcome presence of Discord, which I consider his best to date.  In addition, it builds some interesting Equestrian history and even mechanics of its universe, which is always a bonus for me.  If nothing else, it was done with a high degree of whimsy that exceeded my expectations of whimsy for the show.

4. The Return of Harmony-- It was great to see the friendship letters from Season 1 actually be used for something, and Twilight's discordance and return to harmony very powerful to see.  While Discord is interesting in concept, I found him to be too chaotic for his own good, which really hasn't changed in subsequent appearances, plus being less funny than perhaps he should have been.

5. Friendship is Magic, Pt. 1-- A good introduction to the characters but had a tendency to drag on with nothing really exciting happening until the end.  I also greatly identified with Twilight here, which helped me at least give the show another chance since when I first saw it I found it kind of jarring aesthetically.

6. The Best Night Ever-- It was a good concept certainly but much of it bored me to near sleep, and what was going on wasn't as funny as many make it out to be.  Plus, Celestia was kind of a troll again, and the moral seemed pointless and forgettable.  It deserves a rewatch on my part though.

7. Friendship is Magic, Pt. 2-- More going on, but less convincing than the first part.  Why would the others want all of the sudden to help Twilight in her quest?  They barely know her.  Plus, it seemed that Celestia just appeared when Nightmare Moon was defeated without any explanation of where she was the whole time.  More possible trolling going on here.

8.  The Crystal Empire-- This was the only time I felt the merchandise driven nature of the show overtook its better aspects and even hijacked them.  Empires do not just appear out of apparently nowhere, for one thing.  What is the whole point of everything being so crystal?  It just looked ugly and only there to promote the crystal toyline.  Why do all of the reawakened Crystal Empire residents have to sound like depressed teens? Everything about it just seemed plain forgettable, and the songs were quite annoying.  And Celestia posing Twilight's mission as a test seemed to be forced and also reeks of trolling. It also seemed extremely illogical that Twilight couldn't get out of the prison but the Crystal Heart could as presumably that's what Sombra wants kept in its place, and also forces the moral of self-sacrifice too much.

• Brohoof 1

Still love the series premiere. The deadpan humor, the original characterization, all that stuff takes me back to when I first started enjoying the show.  :wub:

• Brohoof 2

A canterlot wedding. It had Disney quality music, a plot that was for the most part darker than anything we had seen before in FiM. It was giant, it was epic, and it felt like something that given maybe a half hour more, it could have even been a golden era Disney movie.

• Brohoof 2

It's spelled favourite, by the way. Yes, I'm 'murican, but I just like how words like favourite and colour are spelled.

On topic, a Canterlot Wedding, by miles. I loved that episode to pieces. Princess Twilight Sparkle and Magical Mystery Cure are close seconds, though.

Edited by Half Life 3

Favorite finale was the Best Night Ever, I always preferred the more low-key style of that finale over the others. As for the two parter openers, either Return of Harmony or Princess Twilight

Hey, don't worry about liking Magical Mystery Cure. I felt it was a bit rushed, but other than that I enjoyed it too. :)

My favorite two-part episode is most likely The Crystal Empire. Yeah, the season 3 premier, but I also liked season 3 overall, unlike a number of other people. My favorite season finale is definitely The Best Night Ever; laughs and lessons abounded.

• Brohoof 1

It's spelled favourite, by the way. Yes, I'm 'murican, but I just like how words like favourite and colour are spelled.

On topic, a Canterlot Wedding, by miles. I loved that episode to pieces. Princess Twilight Sparkle and Magical Mystery Cure are close seconds, though.

That "t" was a typo *facehoof* I'll fix that! Thanks for pointing it out!