Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Pony Have as much fun at Babscon as I did?

Diva Pony

This was my first pony con and first time vending and this is without a doubt the best con I've been to. Thanks to all who showed up to my panel, Read It and Weep! I got lots of positive feedback and requests to bring the panel back, and should BABS2015 happen I'll be there with another painful fanfiction for reading enjoyment!

Thank you everypony for making this a great first pony con. You all were fantastic and it was great meeting you all!

I don't think you are going to have to worry about getting your stuff.  Please be patient.  I had the top Big Bad package and had frustrations that you don't even know about from things that were not included in your package!  I gave the con such a high rating in my post because oddly enough, the rest of it ran really smoothly- it was just the top packages that kept getting screwed up.

I will be emailing the con chair in about a week to follow up on my "stained glass" print and my OC badge- that's all that is left for me to get.  I'm sorry about your poster as they had them in the Con office.  You might want to email them a reminder with a list of what you didn't get.

I have spoken to more than one person and I don't think you will have the same issues with the top packages next year as  you had this year.  I am hoping that since there were so many problems that we will have a dedicated person to take care of the top packages so we are treated like the VIPs that we were supposed to be treated like.  It appears to me that it was left to a very overwhelmed person who should have delegated the responsibility and did not.  That doesn't help in your feeling cheated but maybe that can explain some of it. 

I know we all spent a lot of money whether we got your package or mine. 

I'd like to think that I'm a very patient person, but after paying that much and only getting bits and pieces of what was promised at the con, I have to respect your patience and understanding.

At the very least though, I hope they'd at least give you an apology and maybe something a little extra for the time you shouldn't need to wait. It is the first year of the con, and I think it's people like yourself that really show the most support and believe in its success by supporting it with the highest pass tiers. A 3-day pass is a good deal of money to many people, myself included, so a big bad membership totalling more than the last three laptops I've owned combined is... yeah, you don't even think about something like that.

Wow. I guess compared to your troubles, mine are not as bad. I'll be patient. I heard that you got to have a special meeting with a guest of your choice. How did that go? I wish I could have talked with one of the directors or maybe Tara Strong or Nicole Oliver for a while. Which big bad were you? Anyway, I hope you get your stuff soon. I would be furious if I didn't get all my stuff if I paid 2,000 dollars.

Yes, the con was very good and I liked it very much. I just wished the handling of the higher tiers was done better. The fact that we paid so much more than like 50 dollars sends a message that we are trusting in their ability to handle a first year con. That is what it represents most and they really failed in that respect.

I really hope they come through soon for both you and Silver Letter on this! :squee:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Wow. I guess compared to your troubles, mine are not as bad. I'll be patient. I heard that you got to have a special meeting with a guest of your choice. How did that go? I wish I could have talked with one of the directors or maybe Tara Strong or Nicole Oliver for a while. Which big bad were you? Anyway, I hope you get your stuff soon. I would be furious if I didn't get all my stuff if I paid 2,000 dollars.

Yes, the con was very good and I liked it very much. I just wished the handling of the higher tiers was done better. The fact that we paid so much more than like 50 dollars sends a message that we are trusting in their ability to handle a first year con. That is what it represents most and they really failed in that respect.

My special dinner (oh and it was not the guest of our choice- it was pre-determined) was with Ashleigh Ball and she is a very nice person.  Because of some scheduling miscommunications, the Alicorn Princess package also had to join us where they were actually supposed to have their own celebrity and their own meal.  I would feel bad airing all the frustration that I had over this dinner but it didn't exactly come off the way it was supposed to.  Staff members got to sit closer to Ashleigh than we all did and that was so wrong.  Still, I don't think anyone stopped and realized what was wrong with the picture and I don't think anyone realized how it looked in the eyes of the folks who paid the big bucks to be there.  The Drummonds did wind up joining us for dinner as well so I guess the Princess and Big Bad folks that were way too far from Ashleigh to talk to her had someone to talk to at the other end of the table.

Nicole Oliver was originally assigned to the Alicorn Princess package but again, the communication did not happen in time.

I was the Nightmare Moon Big Bad.  Great headdress.  Can't complain about the schwag at all- everything that I have gotten so far has been top quality.

I'd like to think that I'm a very patient person, but after paying that much and only getting bits and pieces of what was promised at the con, I have to respect your patience and understanding.

At the very least though, I hope they'd at least give you an apology and maybe something a little extra for the time you shouldn't need to wait. It is the first year of the con, and I think it's people like yourself that really show the most support and believe in its success by supporting it with the highest pass tiers. A 3-day pass is a good deal of money to many people, myself included, so a big bad membership totalling more than the last three laptops I've owned combined is... yeah, you don't even think about something like that.

I really hope they come through soon for both you and Silver Letter on this! :squee:

I really had to laugh at this one because I never thought of the package in terms of laptops.  It makes me feel almost foolish!  But I do have to remember that we did get a lot of neat merchandise with that package.  It wasn't just for a VIP experience.  The plush would have gone for $450 to $500 by Equestria Plush- her plush is unbelievable and takes a long time to make and they are expensive.  I don't know what the hat/ headdress would have cost but it was really well done and special and not inexpensive.  The other items were less expensive but still very nice.  So when you subtract what we would have paid retail for the items included, that brought down the pain of the high cost of the package!  :blink:

As I have said in an earlier post I am hoping that a dedicated person is assigned to the top packages.  I would hope that for the $1000 and more that seats in the front row could actually be reserved for us- I paid for front row and only got it once or twice because you had to be the first in line for those seats and even the $250 package had priority seating.  So I was competing with several people for those seats.  That should absolutely not be the case when you are shelling out this kind of money.

And hopefully next year the top packages will have a registration envelope/ package that includes their itinerary for the intimate meal and how everything works.  Something so simple could have prevented so much drama.  Disney uses that all the time.  Everyone pre-registered has a packet with their lanyard, id, information.  No questions unanswered.  Very efficient.

I have no question as to the integrity of the con chair and I truly believe I will get the missing items from my package.  Nothing can replace what happened at the dinner and nothing can fix  the first day of not knowing how the "system" worked so I had zero preferred seating my entire first day, but for the most part, I had more fun than I have had in a long time and you can't put a price on that.

Edited by Diva Pony
  • Brohoof 3

Hello all!

I was SacBrony Expo's Graphic designer! I was there at BABSCON vending as well. Super fun! I wish we could another Sac brony though. It was alot of fun!

I had a blast at the con, while I might not have gotten all that was part of my package. But I know that if that is the worse we had to deal with, I am more than ok with it. Considering the amount of people whom I hung-out/drank/broke bread with I can't wait to hit BABS next year. 
The only downside is now BronyCon 2014 has a lot to live up to...we shall see
XP

Well, Line Monkey had fun. Was incredibly overworked, but had a blast. Maybe next year I can be in charge of the lines. It's my strength, and my voice makes it easy for folks to know what they need to do! I'm actually doing a write-up of the convention on my tumblr, and I've finished up to Friday. After that, things get... complicated.

• Brohoof 2

The Drummonds did wind up joining us for dinner as well so I guess the Princess and Big Bad folks that were way too far from Ashleigh to talk to her had someone to talk to at the other end of the table.

I would probably have a hard time trying not to laugh. What a joke. So there was no real ability to communicate with the guest of honor so it was no different than watching her from afar like a panel. I bet the staff were laughing behind your backs. Nice way to spend $2000. And again, I checked my e-mail and I haven't got my picture so yeah, I'm sure it isn't coming. They really got us all good but I only threw away $75 or whatever compared to what happened to you. But to all of us that didn't get what we were promised, that is not acceptable. There is no excuse for them handling us so poorly and with such disdain and contempt. For all we know, they did it on purpose. Maybe they don't even like fans of Friendship is Magic and secretly hate us and who knows what. They could be like planning a huge scam on us and wringing their hands and laughing evilly and whatever. I think I'll give them til tomorrow to come up with the stuff then I'm writing a letter to demand compensation and if they refuse then I don't know. I'll have to talk to a lawyer.

I would probably have a hard time trying not to laugh. What a joke. So there was no real ability to communicate with the guest of honor so it was no different than watching her from afar like a panel. I bet the staff were laughing behind your backs. Nice way to spend $2000. And again, I checked my e-mail and I haven't got my picture so yeah, I'm sure it isn't coming. They really got us all good but I only threw away $75 or whatever compared to what happened to you. But to all of us that didn't get what we were promised, that is not acceptable. There is no excuse for them handling us so poorly and with such disdain and contempt. For all we know, they did it on purpose. Maybe they don't even like fans of Friendship is Magic and secretly hate us and who knows what. They could be like planning a huge scam on us and wringing their hands and laughing evilly and whatever. I think I'll give them til tomorrow to come up with the stuff then I'm writing a letter to demand compensation and if they refuse then I don't know. I'll have to talk to a lawyer.

Whoa, I think you need to take a couple of deep breaths and calm down.  Calling in a lawyer over possibly 75 dollars when a lot of what you're complaining about is simple logistics stuff or poor planning seems extreme, especially since odds are good you'll get whatever it is you're missing eventually.  You have to realize, the con hasn't even been over for a week.

As for the staff being some sort of evil scam organization.....were you even there?  They are all clearly dedicated fans, who love the show and the fandom, and put on this convention for us, not for you personally.  Hell, DivaPony (who is without a doubt one of the coolest people I've met in the fandom) isn't complaining (though you're definitely whining) as much as you, and she spent ten times as much as you did.  Just calm down, and give them a little more time.

As for myself, I had an absolute blast there!  It's the first convention I've ever been to, and I'm glad it was such a positive one.  I'm looking forward to going back next year, when I'm sure they'll be far more organized and have learned from the problems they had this year.

Edited by 11thDoctorWhooves
  • Brohoof 3

Whoa, I think you need to take a couple of deep breaths and calm down.  Calling in a lawyer over possibly 75 dollars when a lot of what you're complaining about is simple logistics stuff or poor planning seems extreme, especially since odds are good you'll get whatever it is you're missing eventually.  You have to realize, the con hasn't even been over for a week.

As for the staff being some sort of evil scam organization.....were you even there?  They are all clearly dedicated fans, who love the show and the fandom, and put on this convention for us, not for you personally.  Hell, DivaPony (who is without a doubt one of the coolest people I've met in the fandom) isn't complaining (though you're definitely whining) as much as you, and she spent ten times as much as you did.  Just calm down, and give them a little more time.

As for myself, I had an absolute blast there!  It's the first convention I've ever been to, and I'm glad it was such a positive one.  I'm looking forward to going back next year, when I'm sure they'll be far more organized and have learned from the problems they had this year.

I don't want to whine but these people had months to plan so how are they going to make things right in a few days or even a week after when everything has concluded and the artists responsible have gone away? Who is going to do it now and that still does not mean that I'll be able to show off my image afterwards because of all the work I'll have to go through to make a badge now that the burden is set to be on me now. I can't show it off to my friends without all that effort and without having it at the convention, the purpose of the badge was void. I may as well have had one done for me right there if they couldn't have one ready for me in time. The worst thing is that they had no idea what they were doing. It's like the badge thing didn't even exist and they had no idea it was happening. I know they aren't like mustache twirling villains but I get mad when I feel cheated and when I end up feeling stupid because I paid so much money for something I didn't get in full. So I either get mad at myself or at the people I feel are ultimately responsible for this debacle. Also, when I spoke to them, they didn't seem like they cared at all and would rather me go away. Is that how we should be treated? The people that trusted them enough to pay upwards of $250?

I don't want to whine but these people had months to plan so how are they going to make things right in a few days or even a week after when everything has concluded and the artists responsible have gone away? Who is going to do it now and that still does not mean that I'll be able to show off my image afterwards because of all the work I'll have to go through to make a badge now that the burden is set to be on me now. I can't show it off to my friends without all that effort and without having it at the convention, the purpose of the badge was void. I may as well have had one done for me right there if they couldn't have one ready for me in time. The worst thing is that they had no idea what they were doing. It's like the badge thing didn't even exist and they had no idea it was happening. I know they aren't like mustache twirling villains but I get mad when I feel cheated and when I end up feeling stupid because I paid so much money for something I didn't get in full. So I either get mad at myself or at the people I feel are ultimately responsible for this debacle. Also, when I spoke to them, they didn't seem like they cared at all and would rather me go away. Is that how we should be treated? The people that trusted them enough to pay upwards of $250?

I don't think anybody disagrees with you that the perks for the badges weren't done very well, but you have to understand that this is a first year convention and they're going to make mistakes.  Accusing them of setting up the entire convention as a farce so they can laugh at you behind your back is just downright paranoid.

Stuff got sent to the wrong spot, things weren't made in time, volunteers didn't know what to do with the VIP stuff, and lots of other things caused all the issues.  The thing you have to remember is that conventions have to make mistakes in order for them to learn from those mistakes.  Next year, I'm sure they'll have all the badge perks ready a week early, the microphones will work perfectly, and every other issue people complained about will be addressed.  And then they'll have a dozen new problems to try and fix year three.  They're always going to have problems, and while it sucks when those problems effect you personally, you have to give them time to work through those issues.  

• Brohoof 2

Were you wearing a full costume? If so, I think I saw you. I was the person with the little red backpack.

Were you wearing the randoseru/Japanese elementary school backpack?  I wanted to ask you where you got it because I was jeli.  I did see OldMrAbernathy, though.  And I really do share his annoyances at not finding any pictures that were taken, since this was the first con I put some effort into a cosplay, and I kind of wanted to pick myself apart before Everfree Northwest (if I go).  On Saturday I was the (pony.mov) Rarity with dollar signs on my cheek, though I really think I messed up on those (hooray for doing them with a mirror).

But as far as my general con experiences go, I've got to say, as someone who used to go to a lot of Anime Cons a few years back, my first brony con was the best con experiences I've had, it also reminded me of why I began to venture out and meet other bronies.  This fandom has to be one of the friendliest group of people, even to complete strangers, and while I was legitimately afraid of going to anime cons by myself, I felt legitimately safe.  There is a very small but here, however, it is/was an incident with a person from my local meetup group who also attended the con, so it's not worth mentioning.

As I said before, this was one of the first cons I've ever tried cosplaying at, even though I had a few hiccups - the costume I was supposed to wear on Friday (and/or Sunday) was scheduled to arrive on the day I left for the airport, and then it never did.  I forgot half of the makeup and hairspray I was going to use for my Rarity cosplay, as well as a large poster I had made as a prop for it, and one of the components I had for the outfit itself came in a different color-scheme then the website said (it claimed to be all white, ended up being white with black trim - which I was kind of wary of because I was wearing a white dress over it).

I won't bother bringing up those few nuggets of drama specifically, but I will say everyone I saw in the vendors hall and artists' alley were appropriate (BTW - if the person in the artist alley selling pet rocks is on this forum, you are my favorite), and I had to stop myself from spending so much money, and the con goers behaved themselves accordingly when they weren't outside the hotel/at parties (I mean that in a good way, in that people knew when and where to act appropriate).  Also, let me just say I was pretty surprised by all the parents, but thought it was very cool that they were bringing their kids to see everything (my heart melted a little at two kids in particular - one who got shy when their dad pointed out a Rainbow Dash getup I was wearing, and another whose father had them take a picture with me as Rarity).

Also, we had tattoos/piercings in the vendors' hall, which was the coolest thing ever, and made me feel a lot less awkward about going into a tattoo parlor to get a MLP tattoo.

And because of Babscon, I'm pretty much groveling at my boss' feet in the hopes she'll give me Independance Day weekend off for Everfree.

Edited by FoqueMe

I know I explained the white body suit to a few people, but I don't think it made sense to most people. I was supposed to be the white figure on the cover of the box of the first Portal (Here's the picture for reference: http://samplereality.com/gmu/portal/items/show/220 ) I was originally going to be an Aperture Science test subject, but I ran out of time to get a jumpsuit, so I needed to be creative and use what I had. I was lucky enough to get the portal gun signed by Andrea Libman (Since Fluttershy is best pony) as well as a picture with her. http://imgur.com/A101wKB http://imgur.com/St6C7GE I'm definitely coming back next year.

(edited)

My goodness. Off line for a day and look at what has happened!

@Silver Letter please remember what we learn from MLP. Contact the con folks and nicely tell them what you are missing. I don't know where the drawings stand since they were original. I understand your disappointment (believe me!) but it's not worth filling up with anger. It's a drawing and you are hurting yourself getting so worked up about it. Or maybe you have been burned before (it sounds like it) and this was the final straw? These are good folks who put on this con. But they are human and humans make mistakes. Give them the benefit of the doubt please. Don't ruin the memory of a great weekend over this.

@11thDoctorwhooves you have made me blush! Thank you for what you said.

Edited by Diva Pony
  • Brohoof 1

it was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1    i absolutely loved it

although one Fluttershed yelled at me to get out of his shed  :lol: haha

lol it was a good costume though

but he yelled it at the little kids (10 and under) and they seemed scared :okiedokielokie:

I don't think anypony disagrees with you that the perks for the badges weren't done very well, but you have to understand that this is a first year convention and

Stuff got sent to the wrong spot, things weren't made in time, volunteers didn't know what to do with the VIP stuff, and lots of other things caused all the issues.  The thing you have to remember is that conventions have to make mistakes in order for them to learn from those mistakes.  Next year, I'm sure they'll have all the badge perks ready a week early, the microphones will work perfectly, and every other issue ponies complained about will be addressed.  And then they'll have a dozen new problems to try and fix year three.  They're always going to have problems, and while it sucks when those problems effect you personally, you have to give them time to work through those issues.  

Yes. Meanwhile, I am out 80 dollars of stuff I am owed.

Were you wearing the randoseru/Japanese elementary school backpack? I wanted to ask you where you got it because I was jeli.

Yes, that was me. The one with FlutterDash on it. I got it on ebay for about 100 dollars.

Give them the benefit of the doubt please. Don't ruin the memory of a great weekend over this.

It was a good weekend and I was glad over it.

Yes. Meanwhile, I am out 80 dollars of stuff I am owed.

Why don't you just give them time to fix it?  It's been about 4 days since it ended... even if they mailed your stuff out to you the day after the convention, it probably wouldn't have gotten to you by now.  Give it a week or two, and if you still haven't gotten your stuff, shoot them an email and ask them about it.  I'm sure they're not sitting in a room with your 80 dollars laughing about how they pulled one over on you... they have to make the badges, get all the stuff they need to ship people into one place, package them all up, mail them out, and the package has to get to you.  It'll take time, but I'm sure you'll get the items.

I'd also suggest that you remember that when you buy a package at a convention, you aren't buying those items, you're investing in the convention and they're thanking you by giving you perks.  I mean, if you just wanted to buy that merchandise, you probably could have gotten it a lot cheaper in the vendor's hall... the point is that you want to support the convention and give them funds so they can actually run the convention.  I'm not saying you can't be annoyed by things not going like you expect, but it does mean that you have to give them a certain amount of latitude.  Maybe invest more energy in giving the convention feedback on how to improve those things next year instead of attacking the convention?

.. they have to make the badges, get all the stuff they need to ship people into one place, package them all up, mail them out, and the package has to get to you.

No, they told me specifically that they would not send me a physical print. They were going to send me an image as if I can just hang my laptop around my neck. I'm not going to get a physical copy so why not send me the image by now? It's going to be Friday and it is not here yet. I was told the artists were working on it. So where is it by now? We'll see. Maybe.

Maybe invest more energy in giving the convention feedback on how to improve those things next year instead of attacking the convention?

I don't appreciate criticism like I'm the bad guy here. I'm not being selfish. I don't know why they failed so what can I say about them not doing things right? What went wrong? I mean, they couldn't even have a little poster ready for me.

No, they told me specifically that they would not send me a physical print. They were going to send me an image as if I can just hang my laptop around my neck. I'm not going to get a physical copy so why not send me the image by now? It's going to be Friday and it is not here yet. I was told the artists were working on it. So where is it by now? We'll see. Maybe.

I don't appreciate criticism like I'm the bad guy here. I'm not being selfish. I don't know why they failed so what can I say about them not doing things right? What went wrong? I mean, they couldn't even have a little poster ready for me.

Sigh... okay well I'm out.  Things can't get done instantly.  Give them a chance to fix it.  You might not be getting a physical copy, but others are getting physical items sent to them, so that might delay yours.  Remember, it's not the con chair that's doing the drawings, so whoever is doing them will need to do them all and give all the badges to whoever is shipping them out, and then they'll probably scan yours and email it to you.  Sure they messed up, but just give them a chance to fix it.

And the only reason anybody is criticizing you is because of the tone you have taken in all of your posts.  Diva Pony and a lot of others are going through the same issues as you, but they simply noted those issues so that the convention staff was aware of their concerns.  On the other hand, you have done nothing but make wild accusations since your first posts.  I mean, you actually accused this entire event of being a scam put together by people who hate bronies to steal from us and laugh at us behind our backs, and you threatened to hire an attorney to get your hundred dollars back.  We all get your frustration, but when you make wild accusations like that, it's hard for people to be supportive and encouraging.

I don't mean to attack you, because I would be annoyed inn your situation too.  I'm just trying to explain that you should take a step back, realize the convention is probably doing their best to get you your stuff, and give them some time to actually fix their mistake before making personal accusations about the staff intentionally trying to keep your stuff away from you.

• Brohoof 3

They definitely dropped the ball in terms of how they handled the VIP memberships and the higher pass tiers, but I don't believe they're out to scam anyone. It just seems like misunderstanding and miscommunication. The most you can do at this point is wait. Maybe give it a week and send a follow-up e-mail if you want to.

I wouldn't suggest hiring a lawyer though. That'll set you back way more than $75. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Have you tried talking to the con chair personally?  Someone was talking to Obsidian Winter about the badges, and she said that Sonya was handling it personally.  You can always try contacting her on Twitter at https://twitter.com/SonyaLynn

Just give them time, they'll do right by you I'm sure.

• Brohoof 1

I think I will wait until Sunday for a response to the problems that happened this convention. Sunday is a good time to wait. I feel that it is fair.

I think that @Simon had a good point that there is an artist doing these (or artists) and if you have ever dealt with artists before you might know that deadlines are not always in their vocabulary.  Please don't shoot me all you artists out there- I'm not saying all, I'm saying some.  And I think these artists had at least a couple of hundred to do.  I know they were working on it and I don't know this for sure but I'm guessing that since they didn't get them all done by the deadline that the con decided not to give any out because that would not be fair to everyone.  Again, I am speculating here so please don't write this in cement.

But back to the reason for mentioning this is that it's not a matter of going to the store and picking up something owed to someone.  They are at the mercy of the artists and maybe the con is just as frustrated as you are because they can't produce them quickly due to the artists not getting them done.

I was under the impression that I would receive the drawing in the mail.  Maybe they said they would email it to you because you said you wanted it faster?  And if you have no capability to print what you are sent, I'll bet you can tell them that and they can print it for you instead of your having to wear your laptop around your neck.  :-)

I'm very curious though- you said you are missing $80 of merchandise.  That badge is not worth $80.  I think in artist alley they were doing them for the customers for around $10 or at least that's what I heard.  Even if this was to be more detailed- I doubt it was worth more than $20.  So I'm very curious as to what else was missing?

so what I am reading is we have one super stick in the mud, and everyone else seemed to have a blast...I would say that averages out to a blast of a con...
btw i am sorry I couldn't hang-out with some of you at the breakfast (i was not sleeping much at the con)

• Brohoof 1

I'm very curious though- you said you are missing $80 of merchandise.

I was thinking about the number of items lost and making it a certain percentage of the overall cost. None of it has a real value compared to the money spent.

Had a lovely weekend, and it did wonders for my social life.  I would certainly come back again for next year, super stoked.  I also learned a lot about going to cons since most of the ones I used to go to were local so it was too easy to go home and back.

• Brohoof 4