Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does Spike get a bad rep. in the fandom?

DryGuy84 (Inactive)

I've been surprised at the amount of people on here who aren't interested in, or actively dislike this guy. So, my question is: If you don't like Spike, how come? If you do, like myself, feel free to why as well. 

"But why are you doing this, DryColt84? Don't you have better things to do?" 

Well, I'd like to see if using this thread I can come to somewhat of a solution (it won't be concrete, not enough people), or even see if I've blown this a bit out of proportion...and no, not at the moment actually. 

I look forward to seeing what you have to say!  :)

To be honest, I'm not especially sure of that myself. The dude has more excuses than the Mane Six for his shortcomings because he's way younger and thus naive. Maybe they dislike him for the same reasons they do the CMC, that he's annoying?

• Brohoof 1

Maybe people dislike Spike for being annoying or most of his character development is all over the place, with some inconsistencies. Honestly, I still like Spike.

Edited by Scootalove

Why I think others dislike Spike:

• The problems he causes in the show
  • Not a pony

Why I dislike him:

• Poorly developed character IMO
  • He seems useless in the show
  • He's boring
  • I've hated or disliked almost all of his episodes. Only in Season 4 have I built more respect for him.
Edited by King Ghidora

To be honest, I'm not especially sure of that myself. The dude has more excuses than the Mane Six for his shortcomings because he's way younger and thus naive. Maybe they dislike him for the same reasons they do the CMC, that he's annoying?

Maybe, but I think of him and the CMC as well-realized, child characters, and as such they rarely, if ever, annoy me.

(edited)

Why I think others dislike Spike:

• The problems he causes in the show
  • Not a pony

Why I dislike him:

• Poorly developed character IMO
  • He seems useless in the show
  • He's boring
  • I've hated or disliked almost all of his episodes. Only in Season 4 have I built more respect for him.

He's far from useless in my opinion. I mean let's look at some of his accomplishments:

-Was the main reason the Crystal Empire was saved.

-Called Celestia when he realized Twilight was in a deep psychosis.

-Has been called upon for Royal Duties.

-Helped break the Power Ponies out of their prison.

-Had the right idea for how to spend time at the Gala.

-Saved AJ from a Timberwolf (though that scene was poorly executed).

-Was the main reason Fluttershy and Twilight became friends.

-I'm sure there are more, but I'm lazy.

-I'm ending this list now.

Edited by DryColt84
  • Brohoof 8

He's so annoying.

In Just for Sidekicks for example, he's extremely selfish. In Spike at Your Service, he's very stubborn.

He's better in some episodes fortunately, for example the last one.

• Brohoof 1

Spike is pretty much all over the place but, he's still one of my favorite characters. Everypony can change depending on experiences, friendships, and different feelings. That's probably why he's all over the place. At least, that's my theory.

Because not even the writers seem to like him. He is underdeveloped as all hell, is commonly used as a physical gag character,has been left out of major events, and is just not liked in general. So most fans tend to not like him as he has become a one off gag character, who lacks any real progress.

He's far from useless in my opinion. I mean let's look at some of his accomplishments:

-Was the main reason the Crystal Empire was saved.

-Called Celestia when he realized Twilight was in a deep psychosis.

-Has been called upon for Royal Duties.

-Helped break the Power Ponies out of their prison.

-Had the right idea for how to spend time at the Gala.

-Saved AJ from a Timberwolf (though that scene was poorly executed).

-Was the main reason Fluttershy and Twilight became friends.

-I'm sure there are more, but I'm lazy.

-I'm ending this list now.

I suppose you're right. I just hated Secret of My Excess so much that I've held a grudge against him. 

He's so annoying.

In Just for Sidekicks for example, he's extremely selfish. In Spike at Your Service, he's very stubborn.

You could hate every dingle MLP character for those reasons. I mean the only one who has not been selfish up to this point is twilight!

I like the fact that they use him for adding humor into the show

(edited)

He's so annoying.

You mean he was greedy in Just for Sidekicks? That's a character trait of his that was shown previously. Also in Spike At Your Service everyone was an idiot, so to me that's like faulting AJ for her behavior in Bridle Gossip.

Edited by DryColt84
  • Brohoof 2

You could hate every dingle MLP character for those reasons. I mean the only one who has not been selfish up to this point is twilight!

I don't hate him. :) I just don't care much about him...

These are examples among many others, and he's like that way more frequently than the other characters in my opinion.

Edited by Blobulle

You mean he was greedy in Just for Sidekicks? That's a character trait of his that was shown previously. Also in Spike At Your Service everyone was an idiot, so to me that's like faulting AJ for her behavior in Bridle Gossip.

True :lol: but especially Spike.

I don't hate Spike at all. I sort of like the guy. He barely cracks my top 20, though, unfortunately; I can't help but think his character can be executed a lot better than it is. He's had a few good episodes, notable "Dragon Quest" which is one of my favorites :D

He's just been sort of dull lately, though. He's also a bit of an easy target, unfortunately. People love to hate those easy targets.

Maybe they dislike him for the same reasons they do the CMC, that he's annoying?

How in all of Equestria could you possibly dislike the Cutie Mark Crusaders? That opinion just flat out startles me. That there are actual people out there that don't like the CMC. Spike is awesome too! What has this world come to!

:(

rainbow_dash_and_her____father_i_guess_b

• Brohoof 1

I find Spike to be a hilarious and interesting character. His sarcastic nature is also relatable for me. Honestly, I think he gets most of his hate from the mediocre writing he'd received in season three.

• Brohoof 1

I find Spike to be a hilarious and interesting character. His sarcastic nature is also relatable for me. Honestly, I think he gets most of his hate from the mediocre writing he'd received in season three.

Yea, that seems pretty likely.

The reason Spike isn't often liked is because Spike is the unpaid intern of the pony world. 

I thought that was Coco Pommel.

(edited)

Because not even the writers seem to like him. He is underdeveloped as all hell, is commonly used as a physical gag character,has been left out of major events, and is just not liked in general. So most fans tend to not like him as he has become a one off gag character, who lacks any real progress.

This whole "the writers don't like Spike" thing needs to stop. There's a difference between having difficulty writing a character and not liking them. In a recent interview they talked about why he is difficul to write for, and that's mainly due to the fact that he's a child whose main friends are all much older than him. I don't see the "gag character" argument either because he's taken on several roles, some of which are listed below:

-Deadpan Snarker

-Voice of Reason

-Lovable Jerk

-Sad Sack

-Schemer

-Butt Monkey

-Lovable Oaf

Edited by DryColt84

fdfdsa fd d asd adf  23r2r r2

Edited by plzremoveaccountfdfd