Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think Celestia, Luna, and Cadence will die in the S4 finale *SPOILERS*

Commander_PonyShep

I definitely hope not.  One reason is that it's a children's show, which means that, even though it'll be the darkest My Little Pony yet, they would never go that far without angering the FCC.  After all, remember when Slade fell into lava in the Season Two finale of Teen Titans?  They had to censor that because it's a guy burning in lava and having his flesh and blood melted away.

Another reason is because Celestia, Luna, and Cadence had been mainstays of the entire My Little Pony cartoon, even if a fourth mainstay -- Twilight's library -- gets destroyed and replaced with a new crystal library that would double as her palace.  The three of them transferring all their magic into Twilight would kill them, though I hope that, once she and her friends unlock their Rainbow Power, they use it to not only defeat the new main villain, but also restore the three princesses back to full health.  But odds are, even the Rainbow Power would probably not restore them back to normal, which means Meghan McCarthy and her writing team will kill off three characters for real, even in a children's cartoon based after toys for little girls.

But what about you?  Will the Rainbow Power also fully restore Celestia, Luna, and Cadence, and not just defeat the main villain?  Or, will they die for real, despite being the context of a little girl's cartoon?

This is something I'm particularly intrigued and worried at. In most cartoons I've seen, the transfer of power from one individual to another often results in the death of the former, having sacrificed him/herself to allow the latter to defeat what is normally a villain of immense strength and power.

My thinking is that whatever this villain from Tartarus is, it will be beyond Celestia's handling. Remember how Twilight is apparently the world's most powerful alicorn? Well, I'm also thinking that this villain will also be beyond her power, but not if the princesses were to give theirs to her........

This might just result in their deaths, or as Celestia would term it "The passing of ourselves to a greater existence in life".  Obviously, I'm hoping to God above that they don't. Rather, I hope that once the transfer of power was completed, Celestia, Luna and Cadance would devolve into a physical form similar to that which Luna took after Nightmare Moon was exorcised from her. (Does this mean we'll get to find out if Celestia has a pink mane?!) Mortal, but still alive.

• Brohoof 2

Honestly. It's not rare for hasbro to kill off a fan favorite character from their series. There was Optimus Prime from G1 who died. Then there was Duke from GI Joe. The result was dramatic (May have been wrong word choice) for every child who loved Prime and duke were upset and thus the shows had their characters brought back to life. Idk about how duke came back. Only know more about Optimus primes history.

For mlp it will be heartbreaking moment for everyone if the three princesses died unless of course your theory is only for a while till somehow the rainbow power brings them back but I do hope this rainbow power defeats the villain, that I'm sure of.

This is something I'm particularly intrigued and worried at.

I'm with you on that part. After reading it I'm a little bit worried.

I don't think so.  First of all, with the demographic this is aimed at it would be super hard for them to kill off a character.  But besides that, I've never heard of any show killing off three main characters in one shot, especially one that isn't a dramatic show and is aimed at kids... if they had said that Celestia transferred her power, I could understand the concern, but all three seems way too excessive of a killing spree for a little kids show, particularly since Hasbro makes most of its money off merchandising the characters to death, so killing a character off means decreased merchandising for that character in future seasons.

And plus while in other shows transferring power might be a bad sign, they've manipulated their magic a lot in this show so i don't think it's something they need to live... I mean the Equestria Games disabled every unicorns power before entering, Discord took away Twilight and Rarity's magic during the maze, Twilight lost her magic when entering into the Equestria Girls mirror, and I"m sure there are more scenes like this I'm forgetting... point is it seems like they could very easily live without their magic for a while.  

And I think the plot would be unrealistic and poorly written if they were killing them off... I mean who decided to put all their eggs in the youngest most inexperienced basket they had if they were going to die afterwards?  And why wouldn't they try one of two of the princesses power before killing all of them off at the same time?  The whole thing just doesn't sound like it would make any sense if they did it.

Plus come on let's be realistic here... if that many princesses were getting whacked someone would leak something about it somewhere.

So yeah.... I'm not concerned about this.  I'm intrigued for sure, but I'm pretty sure they aren't knocking off the princesses this season.

• Brohoof 1

Hasbro can't make money from killin of characters :x! They need them alive to sell their toys ;)

Hence why Optimus prime ALWAYS comes back :)

(edited)

Oh...killing a character off?

Pfft.

Alright...let me count how many times a DC or Marvel character has been killed off and then brought back to life.

...oh wait...

We don't have enough sand on earth to use to represent the number.

Let's not even bring up DBZ.

So yeah...killing off Celestia, Luna, and Cadence. Possible. Not likely, but possible. Does it mean anything?

No.

Edited by KelGrym
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

you're kidding right? I've said it once and i'll say it again,. magic and lifeforce are NOT the same thing. so no.

This ^^^^^^

There is a difference between giving Twilight their magic and giving their lives. I don't see the transfer being a permanent thing and done for specific reason.

Edited by Nature's Spell
  • Brohoof 2

Oh. My. God.

I know what Hasbro is going to do..and it's worse than you think.

Celestia, Luna, Cadence and Twilight are going to go Voltron on us and hook up into a giant Alicorn goddess of luvy-wuvy death.

They're gonna sell millions of toys.

(edited)

This might just result in their deaths, or as Celestia would term it "The passing of ourselves to a greater existence in life".

Nah, if they're gonna kill them off, they shouldn't confirm that there's a pony afterlife. Having an afterlife, well a good afterlife, ruins any sadness death can create in fiction. They don't have to confirm whether or not there's one, but they should at least leave it ambiguous forever.

And I doubt the writers will just because of the nature of the show, not saying death in a kids series is bad, but I think it may be a little too grim for the light-hearted nature of the series. They can kill off villains like

Sombra

because fuck them. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's not too dark.

Edited by Sir Wulfington

Actually more than anyone else I think Discord is the most likely candidate to be 'killed off' in the finale in the sense of being returned to stone, banished to another dimension, or something along those lines-they already killed Sombra.

With that said, I don't think they will be because as much as I like Shining Armor, I don't think he could handle the stress and politics or ruling the Crystal Empire on his own.

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna still need to be in charge of the sun and the moon when not running Canterlot day and night.

Without them those duties would fall to Twilight and she would have to leave her friends and Ponyville, which was made clear that it will not happen by the staff and Tara herself during the freakout over Twilight becoming an Alicorn princess.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, the chances of them killing off not one, but three different characters all at once is slim to none. For starters, nothing says this will be anything more than a temporary power transfer in order to make a final stand against the villain. Twilight may go super Saiyan, but Luna, Celestia and Cadance will still be very much alive. Exhausted beyond belief probably to the point they can barely move, but alive nonetheless.

Second, just think about the ramifications their deaths will have. Celestia has been the ruling monarch for as long as anyone can remember. We all saw what happened when the Royal Sisters went missing in the season opener: ponies freaked. Even if Twilight suddenly stepped up and became the ruling monarch (which is beyond a humongous weight to suddenly drop onto her shoulders), society may very well collapse into chaos. Not to mention that without Celestia and Luna, the sun and moon would no longer rotate. While it is true that unicorns moved the sun and moon before the Royal Sisters, after so long the art of how to do so has no doubt been lost, adding yet another weight to drop on a pony that has very likely been a princess for only a few months. Not to mention just think about how inconsolable Shining Armor would be if her suddenly lost Cadance, the love of his life. Having to run the empire in her absence wouldn't do him any favors either.

Third, this is still largely a kid's show. Save for very few examples, death isn't something that exists in cartoons like this and very rarely does it ever stick. Someone above me mentioned Optimus Prime being killed before. Yeah, so tell me then how many times, in all the incarnations, did he actually stay dead? I believe the answer is somewhere between 0 and 1. The transformer's movie with Unicron may have killed off at lot of characters, but not only was that an enormous cast or characters, but outside of the villains like Starscream (which only kinda worked) the ones that stayed dead were secondary at best. Celestia may have been getting less screen time since Twilight's ascension, but she's still an important character that has had a vital role since the show began, as did Luna. Cadance may have come later, but she is no less still an important pony in Twilight's life.

So, to those of you planning a royal funeral you can save yourself the wasted time and effort and just stop right now because it ain't gonna happen.    

• Brohoof 1

Not going to happen.
Equestria would be doomed without its sun princess, moon princess, and love princess.

They might do one of those things where one of the princesses appear dead but comes back to life because... FRIENDSHIP.. and RAINBOWS!!

Short answer: Nope.

Long answer: NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE!

:P

Twilight will get her own kingdom instead, and if the princesses were killed off, no more sun, moon, and a ruler of the Crystal Empire, unless if the planet is like any other planet. Also, not to mention that it will affect on Hasbro's sales largely. ;)

But, what if they get killed after they transfer their power to Twilight, and after the foe gets defeated, the princesses return to life? :o

Yeah I can't see them doing this. The three i f them are catalysts and unless they plan on doing the whole edeayh.e is a princess I think everyone is going to be alright. Also in teen titans I don't remember them censoring anything with slades death he fell in and it showed his hand sink, for him latter to cone back as a minion of trigon and it showed his burned away flesh instill he got it resstored After stabbing trigon with a spike. Sorry I'm a TT fan anyway yeah I'm sure we don't have to worry about a death

The princesses will not die. The children won't be happy, the fandom won't be happy, and I don't see how it would help sell toys.

Well they could start selling Princess Funeral Toys :D, and funeral attire for other character toys.

My little funeral, my little funeral.....

• Brohoof 3

Well they could start selling Princess Funeral Toys :D, and funeral attire for other character toys.

My little funeral, my little funeral.....

5Ry9GAU.jpg

Why would you think of that?

Why has this theory come about? Is it because of the synopsis wording? I really don't think Luna, Celestia, and Cadence are going anywhere. They aren't going to die, I doubt Discord will die as well, he's far too popular for that kind of fate. I mean, he's in the damn intro now!