Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Selfies: What Do You Think Of Them?

DukeofCanterlot

(edited)

I've never taken one just because I dislike being on camera xD

But selfies just seem very.. self centered. The whole concept of taking pictures of yourself, putting them online for others to like or ignore and comment on is just such a self-cented thing. It bothers me when people take selfies every, single, day and it lowers the chances of someone who isn't confident to put one picture up at all D: 

Most selfies bother me since someone will take a picture of themselves and say some status update deal of what they're doing that they could have taken a picture of but instead did a picture of their face xD I also don't like the way they look, there's really professional selfie and they all look amateur. 

#selfie #live #forumpost #mlpforums #kawaiiavatar #toomanyhashtags #hashtaglol #yoloswag

Edited by The Leafeon Pinkeh
  • Brohoof 1

The selfie is not a new concept.  Yeah, it seems like a modern fad, but the idea of turning the camera around and taking a picture of yourself has been around for a while. 

I think that an occasional selfie is fine, though too much does reek of narcissism.

• Brohoof 1

I should post a reply to this thread, but first, let me take a selfie

(Shady does not take responsibility for bleeding eardrums induced by this "music")

First off, I really like how in that song they were making fun of the people who take Selfie's (it's pretty obvious)

Now my opinion, I don't care for them, but because I spent my time on here and some times on knowyourmeme I never see selfie's so as I said, I don't care.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I hate when girls do the "duck face" and hold out the 2 fingers like it's some kind of gang sign. What the hell does that even mean?

I really hate the two fingers sign, it's so......old school. I recall that, back years ago, it was "cool" to do the two finger sign. Yeah, nowadays, every time I see it, I come close to having any aneurysm, because I see it as a very poor attempt at looking "totallyradbrah".

Edited by Sir Wulfington
  • Brohoof 1

hehueuheeuheuheuhee not sure what my profile pic falles under, I guess its a selfie? Oh well.

But I think selfies can be done right and wrong. I personally dont feel that bad about the one I just took, then again some people do the duckfaces and stuff, whitch I dont really like

• Brohoof 1

When you have to stop what you're doing just to take a photo of yourself then we can't be friends. There is a time and a place for that sort of thing and it's not when you're in the middle of the bush giggling with your friends and sounding like a herd of elephants.

If you're going to take a selfie don't get me involved in any way, shape, or form. It's just not the way I do things.

• Brohoof 1

I strongly dislike when people take selfies, more directly towards girls who take selfies.

I think it's stupid and people who want to take photos of themselves to try and show everyone they're better than everyone else is just stupid.

To me, it seems like the only people who don't like em are the ones who find themselves unattractive and lack confidence. ;)

I like them. I usually get 20 likes or more on each one so I assume they like them too. If you got it, flaunt it. If not... sucks for you.

Oooooh that was brutally honest eh?

When I first heard about Selfies...I thought, "they already existed, since when did this become a 'thing'?"....They are stupid, but then again, I think Facebook and Twitter, and TV in general is stupid, so who am I to critique popular social norms that I find repulsive and frivolous within the grand scheme of life?

(edited)

To me, it seems like the only people who don't like em are the ones who find themselves unattractive and lack confidence. ;)

Problem with that logic; they wouldn't have any pictures of themselves posted in the first place.

What's the appeal (or even a connection) of a selfie in regards to 'attractive'? It fits the run of the mill definition(s) of...yeah. On top of this, is it really difficult having somebody else take a picture? Again, what's the appeal? I can't wrap my head around it. :okiedokielokie: I can understand having pictures of oneself in nice/interesting places as mementos (& hence why selfies at monuments and the like are far more sensible...even if I will never understand why they don't just ask others), but picture after picture of the same poses (complete with missing forearm) shot from the same distance in a bedroom/bathroom doesn't have any substance to it; it's just an overall poorly composed, uninteresting picture no matter how you slice it. Rinse and repeat the same rubbish and post it for all to see? To what end?

I like them. I usually get 20 likes or more on each one so I assume they like them too. Ift you got it, flaunt i. If not... sucks for you.

Oooooh that was brutally honest eh?

Frankly, if you're female and you post slutty pictures of yourself, you're going to get likes. Hell, you don't even need slutty poses/clevage. You gotta keep in mind the demographic of this forum/fandom. It's when selfies are posted to a ridiculous extent it strikes me as a cry for attention (posting solely for likes to prop up one's ego) and even a mask for low self-esteem (see propping up ego). As far as "if you got it, flaunt it" goes, you might want to look above.

and saying "if not...sucks for you." in regards to not having a body to shamelessly flaunt? I understand you came into this thread to defend your ego, but do you realize how outstandingly vain/pretentious you come off as? I'll say it; you give yourself too much credit.

Sorry for being brutally honest, you were asking for it there. :mellow:

Edited by K.K. Slider

(this joke was probably said but) Before I tell you my opinion, let me take a selfie *shot*

I think the whole selfie business ruined the whole "taking pictures of my self" concept. Now people refer to any type of picture containing a single person a selfie. It's quite pathetic that people wanted it in the dictionary too.

Problem with that logic; they wouldn't have any pictures of themselves posted in the first place.

What's the appeal (or even a connection) of a selfie in regards to 'attractive'? It fits the run of the mill definition(s) of...yeah. On top of this, is it really difficult to having somebody else take a picture? Again, what's the appeal? I can't wrap my head around it. :okiedokielokie: I can understand having pictures of oneself in nice/interesting places as mementos (& hence why selfies at monuments and the like are far more sensible...even if I will never understand why they dont just ask others), but picture after picture of the same poses (complete with missing forearm) shot from the same distance in a bedroom/bathroom doesn't have any substance to it; it's just an overall poorly composed, uninteresting picture no matter how you slice it. Rinse and repeat the same rubbish and post it for all to see? To what end?

Frankly, if you're female and you post slutty pictures of yourself, you're going to get likes. Hell, you don't even need slutty poses/clevage. You gotta keep in mind the demographic of this forum/fandom. It's when selfies are posted to a ridiculous extent it strikes me as a cry for attention (posting solely for likes to prop up one's ego) and even a mask for low self-esteem (see propping up ego). As far as "if you got it, flaunt it" goes, you might want to look above.

and saying "if not...sucks for you." in regards to not having a body to shamelessly flaunt? I understand you came into this thread to defend your ego, but do you realize how outstandingly vain up you come off as? I'll say it; you give yourself too much credit.

Sorry for being brutally honest, you were asking for it there. :mellow:

Doesn't bother me any... obviously :)

(edited)

Doesn't bother me any... obviously :)

So you say, and yet here you are. :huh: I think your average forum user has enough intelligence/perception to see through that one. To each their own, but the queen princess of :muffins: selfies :muffins: shouldn't have bothered posting in this thread.

Thanks for not addressing (i.e. dodging) that entire post BTW, you sure put up a convincing argument.

Edited by K.K. Slider

Some work in giving useful information. Want to show off a new haircut? Want to prove that you met a celebrity or are in an interesting place? Go for it then. But pretty much anything else? No, we don't need to see you in it. The photo is enough.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

To each their own, but the queen of selfies shouldn't have bothered posting in this thread.

That makes no sense. The topic is sharing our thoughts on selfies, which is just what she did. No need to be so judgemental.

Anyways selfies are fine as long as you don't overdo it. I mean, it's just a picture. No big deal. When people post 20 in a row, it's a different story.

As a girl I can say that we get a nice feeling when we take a good selfie, even though there's no logical reason for it.

But they are just pictures. As long as they don't hurt anyone, I see no issue.

Edited by Shady Bubbles

How low of a self-esteeme do you have to have to daily post pictures of yourself on Facebook to get likes? I dont like selfies, they honestly seem stupid and pointles to me.

(edited)

That makes no sense.

*clearly doesn't know who that user is*

Anyways selfies are fine as long as you don't overdo it.

and most people don't, some on the other hand...I'm not even sure if excessive is an adequate word.

I mean, it's just a picture. No big deal. When people post 20 in a row, it's a different story.

*eyes squint intensely*

As a girl I can say that we get a nice feeling when we take a good selfie, even though there's no logical reason for it.

But they are just pictures. As long as they don't hurt anyone, I see no issue.

While I personally feel selfies almost always look like horseapples, I do agree it's for an ego boost.

----

I admit what I say is harsh, but the truth isn't always pretty or nice. I ain't gonna sugarcoat a rebuke when one posts vain, pretentious nonsense that's just begging to be set alight. I'm earnestly sorry if jimmies got rustled and applecarts overturned in the process. As they say, wake up and smell the roses 'n all.

At the end of the day, to each their own. Just be aware of when too much is really, glaringly too much. 4chan would have an absolute field day.

Edited by K.K. Slider
  • Brohoof 1

Well, some people take selfies of themselves just to post picture of themselves, where it is perfectly fine.
But when someone post it to seek for attention, then no. Not to mention that I'm already a hater of attention seeking, so... :muffins:

• Brohoof 1