Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Favorite female singer?

CosmicHooves

It would have to be a Japanese vocalist; I'm just not sure who nowadays lol.  I'll go with Kyary Pamyu Pamyu since she's adorable and refreshingly bizarre.  She's also the female vocalist I've listened to most recently:

And I barely know this lady lol, but I thought she gave a lovely performance of this aria from the Bach cantata "Schwingt freudig euch empor" (BWV 36):

One of Enya, Mette Lindberg, or Tarja Turunen.

Don't know any specific ones but female metal vocalists have amazing voices. Most recently I was listening to a song by Delain and that lady has the most enchanting voice ever.

And before anyone says it: I don't actually think Tarja is special. Good singer, yes, but not like "stands out above the rest" special. She's pretty low-tier.

All of my favorites tend to be female. I admire so many women in music - even ones who are hated on a lot.

I think Taylor Swift and Lorde are so talented at song writing. Their lyrics combined with their sweet, magical voices really take you on a journey.

Lady Gaga constantly breaks the barriers of pop music, fashion, and song-writing. I adore her and always will. Nicki Minaj is the same - she is very unique and constantly pushes the boundaries. She is dominating the usually male-dominated rap music scene, which is badass. AND she can sing traditionally too.

Kesha is an amazing performer. She gets a bad reputation, but she is one of the most original talents out there right now. She writes all of her own songs, she's quite an intelligent person, and her voice is actually quite beautiful (listen to the slow songs off Warrior - mind-blowing).

And, I'll end with an even more unpopular opinion - Miley Cyrus. Say what you want about how she acts or how she spends her free time, but her voice is banging. I saw one of her shows and I was truly impressed. She is so versatile. She did some old-school country cover songs, her usual pop stuff, and even some hip-hip covers. And she danced her ass off the entire time - she really puts her whole self into her music. I respect her.

Floor Jansen (Nightwish), primarily due to GLS (if you're impatient, jump to 8:08)

I'm not really a fan of her other stuff, but that is more about style, her voice is awesome. Same goes for Tarja Turunen (also Nightwish).

Also Anna Murphy (Eluveitie), Fiona Rüggeberg, and Elisabeth Pawelke (Faun), not just for their voices, but for the music of the band as a whole (which, in truth, I generally care about more than individual members).

Anna Murphy:

Fiona Rüggeberg, and Elisabeth Pawelke:

I like Indie artists alot.With their unique vocals,good songs with meaning,and many other good qualities. I'll go with Sia and Amy Lee for that. Bubblegum pop however I'll go for Ariana Grande.Girls got PIPES and can actually sing live...Just listen to their songs please?

And Miss Ariana LIVE:

(edited)

Ann Wilson, of course. The lead singer of Heart.

These other picks? Pop? Indie? Screamo? Pfft.

They pale I'm comparison. She never needed a gimmick. She never needed autotune. Her voice was enough.

I'm a bit taken back no one has mentioned her yet.

Edited by Dattebayo
  • Brohoof 1

My favourite is Tarja who is ex-singer of Nightwish. "Tarja's era" is best one IMO, she was perfect vocalist for music that kind of music. IMO best song with her as singer is The Siren

(YouTube video in spoiler)

She has basically opera-like voice that perfectly suits metal with lots of symphony elements and Nightwish at that points inspired many other metal bands to use female vocals (on the other hand most of them are average, oh well ;/ ). 

I also love vocalist from Russian band Arkona. Growls, clean singing, she (yes, she) does both of them. Sorry, Arch Enemy fans, but Angela Glosgow is nothing compared to her in my opinion. I will give You two songs this time. And I hope You will like them both. Videos in spoiler.

Ann Wilson, of course. The lead singer of Heart.

These other picks? Pop? Indie? Screamo? Pfft.

They pale I'm comparison. She never needed a gimmick. She never needed autotune. Her voice was enough.

I'm a bit taken back no one has mentioned her yet.

Fantastic choice :D Absolutely stunning voice and great music! 

Simone Simons from Epica, specifically the album "The divine conspiracy" I reccomend trying it out, there's a lot of operatic singing mixed with raw power and intensity.

(edited)

Not a tough choice for me: Kate Bush. She's been a favorite of mine for a few years, though it wasn't until late last year that I realized she'd taken the top spot. The realization was prompted by my yearly winter listen of her album 50 Words for Snow. It's a beautiful piece of work all around.

My fave song of hers at the moment would be Misty. It requires patience, as it's a sloooooow, moody, jazzy piano piece that clocks in at nearly 14 minutes. I'm not sure what to make of the lyrics. I like to think it's a melancholy love song about the impermanence of relationships, but your guess is as good as mine. Chances are I'm looking into it way too much and it's just about going to bed with a snowman.

For something a little more fun to listen to, here is Kate in wailing banshee mode. This song was apparently used in the second pony anthology, so some of you might already be familiar with it.

She's my kind of insane.

Edited by Rudes
  • Brohoof 1