Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Just how big are the Ponies in MLP?

Rarity Paige Belle

These ponies are little :D Definitely too small to ride, unless you're a midget or something. I'd put them in the range between 3'5" and 4", respectively, but keep in mind that this isn't "My Little Horse" it's "My Little Pony" and aren't ponies miniature horses? :D

These ponies are little :D Definitely too small to ride, unless you're a midget or something. I'd put them in the range between 3'5" and 4", respectively, but keep in mind that this isn't "My Little Horse" it's "My Little Pony" and aren't ponies miniature horses? :D

Ah, but I'm basing my estimate on the guess that G1 ponies are the same size as G4 ponies and as G1 ponies could carry a human teenager on their back I'm going with Shetland pony size but more graceful!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Ah, but I'm basing my estimate on the guess that G1 ponies are the same size as G4 ponies and as G1 ponies could carry a human teenager on their back I'm going with Shetland pony size but more graceful!

If you were to look at how big the G1 ponies were in comparison to the current G4 ponies, then it'd be obvious that G1 ponies are bigger than our beloved G4 companions :D Furthermore, that seems to be a pretty different thing than G4. You can't really say something about G4 based on G1, if that makes any sense.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 1

I've always imagined, before Twilight turning Alicorn, that AJ was the tallest around 4' 5".  Twilight's the tallest now at around 4' 10" I believe.  Unless she assumes a "regal form" like Cadence, may or may not happen since Cadence was like Twilight during the A Canterlot Wedding Flash Back, then I'll say a typical pony will be 4' 5" with an alicorn like Twilight around 4' 10". 

Shining Armor, Big Macintosh, Fleur De Lis (sp?), and Cadence are closer to 5' 4" I believe.  Celestia, without her horn, would be around 6' 5" imho.  With her horn, she's probably around 6' 10" tall. 

That's dealing with Ponies.

Some anthro stories will range their height from 5' 6" up to 7' tall with Celestia being near 9 and 10ft tall. 

(edited)

and aren't ponies miniature horses? :D

Horse and pony breeding is kind of silly. They're all very alike but technically (sorry to use that word) there are lots of different breeds of ponies and horses and the categorization has very little to do with size. Some ponies are as small as a miniature horse (miniature horses and ponies are different breeds) and not fit for adult riding, but some ponies are taller and proportioned more like horses.They are often mistaken for horses and sometimes there is very little difference in size.

The G1 ponies were never really big enough to carry a teenager, in my opinion. Megan was shown riding on them all the time, but even then you could see that they weren't as big as a horse or even a pony that one would ride in real life. I've worked on a ranch and horses and ponies that size were never ridden by any human larger than a child. It would have strained them too much.

It's hard to say how big the G1 ponies are because we have no human reference on the show and everything in their world is made in proportion to them. For all we know Spike could be eight feet tall and the Everfeee forest is actually the size of Jurassic jungle plants.

Edited by Princess Lona
  • Brohoof 1

Horse and pony breeding is kind of silly. They're all very alike but technically (sorry to use that word) there are lots of different breeds of ponies and horses and the categorization has very little to do with size. Some ponies are as small as a miniature horse (miniature horses and ponies are different breeds) and not fit for adult riding, but some ponies are taller and proportioned more like horses.They are often mistaken for horses and sometimes there is very little difference in size.

The G1 ponies were never really big enough to carry a teenager, in my opinion. Megan was shown riding on them all the time, but even then you could see that they weren't as big as a horse or even a pony that one would ride in real life. I've worked on a ranch and horses and ponies that size were never ridden by any human larger than a child. It would have strained them too much.

It's hard to say how big the G1 ponies are because we have no human reference on the show and everything in their world is made in proportion to them. For all we know Spike could be eight feet tall and the Everfeee forest is actually the size of Jurassic jungle plants.

And in the converse, Spike could be eight millimeters tall and the Everfree forest trees only are waist height.

We don't know.

• Brohoof 1

I've always liked to believe that the G4 ponies are as tall as the G1 ponies, but it's more likely that the G4 ponies are smaller. I'd say a G4 pony's height reaches up to the waist of an average adult.

• 2 months later...

I agree with the chart, but I think the ponies are just a little bit smaller. Of course, there isn't much evedence to go by (other than G1, but designs are different now and it probably doesn't apply anymore), but I just get the feeling that they are roughly 3.5 - 4.0 FT with some exceptions.

They're about 3 to 3.5 feet tall.  Celestia and Luna would be taller, since they're portrayed to be larger in the show.

Edited by SBaby

• 11 months later...

Well, it's difficult to say.  Apple trees are kept trimmed 10-20 feet to aid in harvesting, cellos vary widely in size, are their fiddles violins or violas?.  Best guess is around the bottom end of Shetland ponies & a bit smaller than G1 ponies.