Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

SoarinDash pairing debate

Forlong

50 users have voted

1. 1. Should Soarin' and Rainbow Dash get together?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will Soarin' and Rainbow Dash's relationship be explored?

• Yes
    • Maybe for a single episode
    • Nope

Unlike a lot of pairings the brony fandom enjoy, Soarin' and Rainbow Dash are clearly friends.  Could this develop into romance?

24944.png?1341347565

As bad as Rainbow Falls was, everyone should admit that it improved the dynamic between these two characters greatly.  They brought out the best in each other and covered for each other's weaknesses.  And that was with about 2 minutes of shared screen time.

Since Rainbow is officially a Wonderbolt, no doubt we'll see more of her relationship with Soarin'.  But will he forever be in the friend zone?  I see them exploring the relationship, but not pushing for romance in season 5.  Not necessarily for Rainbow Dash, at least.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

No and no. I really can't imagine Rainbow Dash being in love with a stallion. >_> (EDIT: I don't want to see that in the show)

As friends however, that could work. :)

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Personally I'd like to see her build a friendship with all of the Wonderbolts and not just Soarin'(especially after RF, they'll probably need it >.>)

As for the pair, I doubt we'll see it in S5, maybe a couple nods/fodder to the fans of it, but nothing that will make it canon

Edited by Big Boss
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I never saw RD as a lesbian (if thats what you're saying)

:lol: while rereading what I wrote, I agree it's quite ambiguous indeed.

No, I meant I don't want to see that in the show.

I guess that's because I find her a bit too young.

Edited by Blobulle

I'm not one to debate over a cartoon show, but the two Character's haven't really talked through the entire show. I can see this as a fandom want, but just like that Spike + Rarity thing, I doubt it will actually happen.

Yes.....and yes.  TBH, those two make a perfect pair, yet I am surprised there supposed relationship hasn't been shown in the episodes other than short conversations and yes, the Canterlot Wedding Screenshot of Soarin and Rainbow Dash.  Hopefully in Season 5, they introduce that. 

(edited)

In the show? Nah. And while I'm certainly not a fan of shipping myself, I do have an argument of sorts against it that goes beyond my personal opinion/feelings. maybe i'm a little biased though, just a little

Anyway, I don't think a romance would work out unless you also want to make the love interest a main character, since you'd be needing to dedicate a significant amount of screentime to it. I'm not even sure where the writers would find time for it, because I don't think the shows episodic, slice of lice nature would work well for a romance subplot. A shift in the shows formula would be potentially be required to accommodate a fully fledged romance subplot, unless you think adding it and then not doing much with it is worth it. Shipping one of the main characters is pretty significant, much more so than with side characters such as the Cakes, so I don't feel it can just be thrown in there for one or two episodes and then be forgotten forever, which seems to happen to a lot of things in the show, due to the whole episodic nature.

I think it'd be easier to keep it in fanon, as I don't feel a ship would reap much benefit from being added to a show that won't do anything terribly meaningful with it. Ultimately I'm of the opinion that adding shipping to show is a valueless idea because if it wasn't used for something significant, then it would be adding it just for the sake of adding it, which doesn't seem terribly desirable. 

I don't think that having friendshipping would be a bad idea at all though, as that could give shippers some valuable fuel without making any sort of actual romance canon, and it would also offer some significant character development, which is pretty important for this show. I think that would satisfy almost everyone, or at least come as close as possible, would it not?

Edited by Vixor
  • Brohoof 1

No. Mainly because I dislike the ship, so what? I'd be pretty upset if it happened, honestly. I'd like to see it as a friendship, maybe. But besides that, NOPPPPEEEE.

• Brohoof 1

As stated in this thread earlier, you would need to make Soarin a main cast character for their relationship to really work out. In order to flesh him out enough, and to actually see their relationship grow and strengthen in a realistic fashion we would need to devote a large amount of screen time to it. Otherwise it would just be another "off screen" boyfriend, that only shows up when and were the plot demands (normally the night before the BIG SENIOR YEAR DANCE) and it would feel rather weak, forced, and useless.

No, I meant I don't want to see that in the show.

I guess that's because I find her a bit too young.

By my calculations, Rainbow Dash is 14 at the absolute youngest.  She's more likely 15.  Is this really to young to be dating?

I'm not one to debate over a cartoon show, but the two Character's haven't really talked through the entire show. I can see this as a fandom want, but just like that Spike + Rarity thing, I doubt it will actually happen.

Rainbow Falls.  I know the episode is terrible and everyone wishes it didn't happen, but Rainbow Dash and Soarin' have a very deep and meaningful conversation in it.

No, because Soarin' already has a life partner. Isn't that right, @Champion RD92? :D

But can she compete with Rainbow Dash?

rainbow_dash_reap_by_jlryan-d4qnfau.png

As stated in this thread earlier, you would need to make Soarin a main cast character for their relationship to really work out. In order to flesh him out enough, and to actually see their relationship grow and strengthen in a realistic fashion we would need to devote a large amount of screen time to it. Otherwise it would just be another "off screen" boyfriend, that only shows up when and were the plot demands (normally the night before the BIG SENIOR YEAR DANCE) and it would feel rather weak, forced, and useless.

Not really.  Friends pulled off permanent (but not really) love interests without making them main characters.

Rainbow Falls.  I know the episode is terrible and everyone wishes it didn't happen, but Rainbow Dash and Soarin' have a very deep and meaningful conversation in it.

That's one episode, it wasn't a deep conversation or romantic. You talk like a scriptwriter for the show, yet you aren't.. I hate whiners.

That's one episode, it wasn't a deep conversation or romantic. You talk like a scriptwriter for the show, yet you aren't.. I hate whiners.

It was the conversation that led to Rainbow Dash's decision and getting her Rainbow Power key, so it was deep and meaningful.  Romantic?  Not so much.  As I pointed out, Rainbow and Soarin' are at least friends.

"Well, Heaven knows you wouldn't want to marry an enemy."

~Lwaxana Troi

By my calculations, Rainbow Dash is 14 at the absolute youngest. She's more likely 15. Is this really to young to be dating?

Too young for the writers to make this relationship interesting.

Actually I don't want any of the mane 6 to get a special somepony. I feel it's only interesting when it involves ponies of the same age as Cherilee&Bic Mac or Shining Armor&Cadence.

Until the end of the show, I'd prefer the mane 6 to stay singles.

Of course, they seem to have the perfect age to be dating (my headcanon is they're between 18 and 24 years old), but I think if one of them gets involved in a serious relationship with somepony else, it could ruin her character.

Well, SpikexRarity is different. That would be pedo-bestiality.

Also, yeah. There's ZERO indication RD is interested in Soarin in any way. Nada.

(edited)

I don't have a problem with it. I don't actively ship it, but it's cute enough. While Soarin ain't exactly the most well-developed of characters, I can see a few traces of personality traits (kind of simple, but genuine and down to earth) that can be developed. It helps that he's voiced by Ed and is apparently the only Wonderbolt that isn't a butthead. If we did live in a reality where this ship gets any development, I'd say the best way to go about it is to have them developed friends through proximity/training together. And then later it'd just be like "Oh, they're together," but don't really have too much emphasis on it. Have little hints at affection between the two, something simple like that. That'd be nice.

On a related note, a user here (I can't remember who) thought up a neat episode idea where Dash makes friends with a fellow Wonderbolt trainee or whatever (it can be Soarin), but the other Mane Five interpret this as like liking, and they proceed to ship them and play matchmaker. Wackiness ensues.  The moral of the story would end up being something about boys and girls being able to be friends without that being attached. Kind of cool. Maybe. I dunno. Don't judge me.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 2

• 10 months later...

I ship soarindash and its my OTP.

I think they might tease us about them in an episode but an actual episode on their love, probably not going to happen.

I think they are perfect for each other and they both understand each other.

There have been a couple moments in the show were it looked like they were teasing us but who knows?

It would also be so intresting seeing rainbow having a crush. Rainbow the daredevil and the fast flying pony who acts cool, has a crush on a guy. She would probably try to hide it from her friends but they would suspect somethings up. It would make such an amazing episode, but sadly that episode may not come :(

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to HATE soarin dash as a ship; I used to be a very avid Soarin X spitfire shipper, and just didn't feel that dash and soarin had any real chemistry.

Rainbow falls changed that, and now I'm an avid shipper of Dash and soarin. Spitifire was revealed to be EXTREMELY ****y to soarin, and pretty much prepared to throw him under the bus at a moments notice, which snipped any and all Shipping of those two in my mind. Plus, soarin and dash had a few good moments together in that episode. Additionally, I've pretty much always said that, if dash gets together with any stallion, it would probably have to be somepony with a personality similiar to fluttershy: someone kind of meek and laid back to go with Dash's headstrong personality, since dash would butt heads with a more strong willed stallion too often, and I feel she'd enjoy being in a relationship where she'd get to essentially be the protective one given her actions.
Soarin being portrayed as a very meek and non-assertive individual just makes the two feel "right" to me, plus they have alot in common as far as activities go since they're both avid flyers.

Spike and Discord are the only male characters with development and own episodes every season. If there is going to be a canon shipping with mane6 then it will involve main male characters. Soarin and Big Mac are not really focused as a characters at all.

I don't think we will ever have any of the Mane 6 tied down with a coltfriend. At most we might see hints that Rainbow Dash and Soarin are attracted to each other. Maybe a few seconds on screen where they are both alone.

However I don't want to see SoarinDash because that would be fanservice.

• 1 year later...

I was looking into this because I realized Soarin has bags under his eyes so I thought that was a sign of old age. However, the comics are canon unless there is something in the show that is different from them and I went digging, and Soarin goes to Canterlot High and plays for the soccer team, meaning the same team as Rainbow. Which would imply that hes only a year or two older than her. So that knocked my age difference out of the water. And no, I don't think Rainbow is a young teenager either. Young teenagers don't have jobs working in dangerous weather factories, and most of the kids or preteens in the show attend school or are off playing with friends. So that knocks the whole Rainbow is 13 out of the water as well. And we have to look into there are some VERY subtle shipping moments between Rainbow and Soarin. The most mild being a picture of them dancing at Shining Armor and Cadances wedding. I mean, we haven't seen them do that for any other paring. Maybe Twilight and Flash, but Flash was only an equestria girls thing and soarindash is ongoing. Hence in Newbie Dash, when Rainbow decided to act like rarity. Why was it that out of any pony she could have gone and been flirtatious towards, it happened to be Soarin? Why didn't she go after anyone else instead?

I honestly don't think they will make a couple out of these two, but I do know they focus more on Rainbow and Soarins friendship more than Rarity&Spikes, or Twilight&Flash, or Pinkie&Cheese.

Now, in the next generation of MLP, if we do see a grown up Rainbow and Soarin with kids, I won't be surprised. Just my input.