Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Feature Length MLP Movie Announced For 2017!

EquestriaGuy

I am so hyped. I am so ready.

I told my parents about it and they were like "oh, that's cool." And then I said it's slated for 2017 and they were like "what the hell is wrong with you, that's so far away. Why are you this excited?"

I can't wait, although CELESTIA DAMN IT GIVE ME SEASON 5 INFO, A MOVIE A COUPLE YEARS DOWN THE LINE ISNT AS IMPORTANT AS THE NEXT SEASON THAT IS LIKE A COUPLEISH MONTHS AWAY. >_>

I'm mixed about this idea. I like the idea of a full-length MLP:FIM movie about the ponies. But I'm not sure about it being produced by a different company yet. I'm pretty sure Hasbro will still have some involvement in the film though.

The studio (AllSpark) is Hasbro. It was created last year by them to produce Jem and other Hasbro IP's.

What if... the thread created about the possibility of a pony based movie was created by Meghan in disguise so she could get our thoughts on it? JK, but wouldn't that be awkward? Anyway, I'm super exited!

T minus 3 years!

Edited by rpc8169

ALL OF MY YES!

Although 3 years is so long. Doctor, please take me to 2017 on the premiere of the movie.

Uhm, do you realize you'll miss at least two seasons and maybe another Equestria Girls movie if that happens, right?  :mellow:

Just gonna drop this here. :please:

1.JPG

bah, you won me this one  :unsure:

Also, Andrea Libman tweeted something that should help calm the fears that the VA's won't be a part of this.

img-3188042-1-u8Bg6EW.jpg

Seems they were planning this for a while, but could say anything until now :please:

• Brohoof 1

Another article: http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/hasbro-studios-president-talks-the-my-little-pony-movie-expanding-the-brands-1201334812/

I'm not sure how I feel about "telling a bigger story". On the one hand, it could mean a big fun adventure and expanding the world lore, which would be awesome. But on the other, it might just mean they have time to do something really sad and be miserable and then turn happy again even though the sad thing can never be fixed (see How To Train Your Dragon 2 for the most disgusting example of this pattern ever).

I shall remain highly cautious, but hope for the best. I wonder if the animation will be in a different style than the show/EqG? Hopefully not 3D at least. Personally I'd like to see show style, but with more shading, more unique frames, and possibly thinner outlines since the thick ones look a little weird to me on the big screen.

Is it 2017 yet????

*Looks at calender*

DOH!!!

Still, it's good to know that they have finally done something to fill this gap.

Calling it now... This will be the final farewell to Celestia/Luna's reign and Twilight ascends to the throne as the new ruler of Equestria.

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 1

Oh my god! Everytime I hear the news in my head, while I'm eating, riding my bike, in the john, something always pitched in my head, the music. I'm not talking about the songs, I am talking about the music! You see, the music for the movie would sound something more epic like this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCZr_eecw4A

Or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Wu7LxrYZs

Or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W264r3IU5lQ

The possibilities are........like Scootaloo says, "Like endless!"

Howdy all!

I nearly dropped my laptop when I read the news about the movie on EQD.

(And my Yes yes yes yes recation on an earlier reply)

As long as the actors are back for the fim,DHX is on board to do the animation and super awsome songs from Daniel Ingram I am OK with this.

;)

Its gonna be a long wait but in the end it'll be worth it.

See ya!

Edited by OtakuBrony
  • Brohoof 2

yay, from now im so excited till 2017 for this movie :lol:

I think it willl be perfect,because its very long time for making a good movie  -_-  

Edited by knuckles
  • Brohoof 1

I mean, the guy who wrote Ice Age 3 is writing for the MLP movie so I'm already a little worried. As for the thought of it being CGI, it's not that 2D to 3D CGI conversion is horrible because it's not, it's just hardly done right. 2Snacks is probably the leading example in the Brony kingdom that it can be done well. Even though I think the lighting is still pretty bad. 

post-8423-0-52988400-1413905266.gif

2017 certainly is a long wait for the release. I believe How To Train Your Dragon 2 by Dreamworks Animation took approximately 5 years of production before release which is a pretty typical production time for such a big movie. Whereas it's known that MLP is cheaply animated on an outdated version of Adobe Flash (not that there is anything wrong with that), so MLP taking 3 years seems a little strange. The only reason I can think of it is that they want to time it's release for a specific part in the TV series. Which would likely be the climax, because you can bet it's going to be an emotional mess for all of us. 

Still just speculating of course. Kinda makes me sad though...

so MLP taking 3 years seems a little strange. The only reason I can think of it is that they want to time it's release for a specific part in the TV series.

I hope you're right, I fear they're going to try a different animation.

3 years is about right guys. Disney's Princess and the Frog took 3 years in development (not including the false starts). It was announced and casting began in 2006 and released in 2009.And no that wasn't exactly 'traditionally animated' since Disney used a proprietary digital toolset to animate the hand drawn and boarded characters called Harmony (which replaced CAPS (ha!). There is no evidence that the FiM film will be CGI. It also doesn't fit with the moves Hasbro has made in creating a separate production/distro company based around what they have already learned and become successful with. Part of me expects a hybrid approach, using traditional animation to support and flash assets and animation. I seriously doubt that it will be CGI as much as I would doubt the next Pixar movie would be traditional. 

• Brohoof 2

I'm just going to say that I've never seen Ice Age Continental Drift, or heard how bad it is, or know absolutely nothing about the writer, but why would they randomly pick some writer who has absolutely no experience with the show to do the script for a film adaptation? It's like they're presenting a huge missed opportunity, and them not picking any of the show's writers could be a huge mistake on Hasbro's part. And if the writer really is that bad, then the film already has a higher chance of sucking, and would end up being the biggest disappointment since SimCity 2013.

Ballarini didn't write either the story or screenplay to that movie (Ice Age 4). He was not given on screen credit (there were a separate Story and Screenplay credits too). Yet he is credited as "uncredited" which does not occur with script consultants. He was likely a single scene/character writer. Either way, when the producer sent a list of credits to the WGA ... his name wasn't on the list. 

So, Ice Age 4 ... not his fault. :P

Ballarini didn't write either the story or screenplay to that movie (Ice Age 4). He was not given on screen credit (there were a separate Story and Screenplay credits too). Yet he is credited as "uncredited" which does not occur with script consultants. He was likely a single scene/character writer. Either way, when the producer sent a list of credits to the WGA ... his name wasn't on the list. 

So, Ice Age 4 ... not his fault. :P

Even so, I'm hearing that other movies he wrote weren't so good either, not to mention that he doesn't even have a resume. Alot of people are now worried that this movie will have poor writing, which may hurt the film's chance for being a critical success (though it will undoubtedly be a commercial success, but I'd take the critical success over the commercial success any day of the week). The question is whether he has even seen the show and that he is confident that he will deliver a solid script that will appeal to both children and adults alike.

Edited by vgmaster9