Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The older they get...

w1kk3d

So, I have noticed that when I go back and watch old episode that really didn't make my top ten list, by that i mean it's really hard to say that I "don't like" an episode. But I noticed that I like ones that weren't exactly thrilling to me when I first watched them. Like Season 2 Episode 15 "Super Speedy Cyder Squeezy 6000" When it first came out, I didn't think it was one of the best, but as I go back and watch it again I notice more, or it just seems more fun :) Does anypony else find this happens?

There is only one episode I have ever "strongly disliked". The one where Pinkie babysits. Those twins are super cute... but It wont leave the bottum of the list any time soon.

The reason my I enjoy watching old episodes over again is because as I'm watching, I'll recognize a famous screencap I see everywhere and I laugh when my head fills in the funny caption

Also, why do you "strongly dislike" Baby Cakes? I'm just curious, since I liked it so much XD

Also, why do you "strongly dislike" Baby Cakes? I'm just curious, since I liked it so much XD

Meh, I just didn't like able the pegasus pony was :( I also didn't like how much control the unicorn baby had. I know that they said baby unicorns have strong bursts of magic, (or however they put it lol) and I totally understand that! Random sparks of furry, but she seemed to control it WAY to well.

The same thing happens to me too, but an episode that I still don't really care for but don't necessarily dislike is "A dog and Pony Show". The whole thing just makes me think that elsewhere in Equestria there's a possible chance of other ponies being held captive :(

I find any pony who watches the show regularly is very open minded, gives things a second chance, etc. If some pony decides they didn't really enjoy an episode, or anything of the sort it will usually not really matter to them at all the second time around. Let's face it, we all second guessed ourselves with the first episode we watched, the theme came on and we all thought "What the hell am I doing?", but we all pressed on, and all proud to say were Bronys, and Pegasisters! This just shows just how strong we are as a community! but ill stop before I start rambling for the millionth time today! :P

Edited by YourAverageBronie582
  • Brohoof 3

I find any pony who watches the show regularly is very open minded, gives things a second chance, etc. If some pony decides they didn't really enjoy an episode, or anything of the sort it will usually not really matter to them at all the second time around. Let's face it, we all second guessed ourselves with the first episode we watched, the theme came on and we all thought "What the hell am I doing?", but we all pressed on, and all proud to say were Bronys, and Pegasisters! This just shows just how strong we are as a community! but ill stop before I start rambling for the millionth time today! :P

Oh yeah, I remember second guessing the hell out of myself after seeing the show for the first time, but every day since then I've been so glad I decided to continue watching it and to become a part of this fandom. Brony pride! B)
  • Brohoof 1

probably one of my least favorite episodes was the sisterhooves social. i have a little sister who is waaaaay worse than sweetie belle and i could totally relate to Rarity getting all upset at her. I'm sure sweetie belle could have found less... destructive... ways to spend time with her sister, and to be honest i really think sweetie belle should've apologized to Rarity, instead of Rarity getting all emotional over a crayon drawing, and begging for a second chance. i don't think that episode will grow on me. i didn't really enjoy boast busters except for the ending, but it's grown on me. same with lots of the other episodes

I used to dislike a lot of the Rainbow Dash-centric episodes, especially May the Best Pet Win (she's so mean to the pets oh my god). After rewatching the first season I came to like her a lot more, though, so I tend to re-watch episodes I don't like right away in case I'm missing out on something cool.

I will never like Baby Cakes however many times I watch it, though. I love Pinkie and the foals are adorable but oh man, that episode drags.

I've noticed this too, but it's because it's you pick up on more things the more you watch something. I've learned in film studies that you only see 20% of a film (animation counts too) the first time you see it. So, the more a person watches the episodes the more they'll pick on the the subtle touches and things missed the first times around.

So, I have noticed that when I go back and watch old episode that really didn't make my top ten list, by that i mean it's really hard to say that I "don't like" an episode. But I noticed that I like ones that weren't exactly thrilling to me when I first watched them. Like Season 2 Episode 15 "Super Speedy Cyder Squeezy 6000" When it first came out, I didn't think it was one of the best, but as I go back and watch it again I notice more, or it just seems more fun :) Does anypony else find this happens?

There is only one episode I have ever "strongly disliked". The one where Pinkie babysits. Those twins are super cute... but It wont leave the bottum of the list any time soon.

This phenominon is called Dislike Discrepancy. It comes from the part of your brain that makes it so you only remember the best bits of something cool so that you think it's more awesome than it really is (like themeparks: +exhilaration! -crowds).

The fact that you like something that you used to not-like is the synthesis of happiness: evidence that you don't need to actually have or get something to be happy. Genuine happiness can be generated at will by how you regard something.

I'm right there with you on Baby Cakes. I'm super-happy they made that episode, because it shows how difficult babies are to deal with, but unfortunately, it just reminds me of the bad parts of dealing with my younger siblings, growing up. (The oldest of 5 right here...)

probably one of my least favorite episodes was the sisterhooves social. i have a little sister who is waaaaay worse than sweetie belle and i could totally relate to Rarity getting all upset at her. I'm sure sweetie belle could have found less... destructive... ways to spend time with her sister, and to be honest i really think sweetie belle should've apologized to Rarity, instead of Rarity getting all emotional over a crayon drawing, and begging for a second chance. i don't think that episode will grow on me. i didn't really enjoy boast busters except for the ending, but it's grown on me. same with lots of the other episodes

I may be completely wrong on this, as I frequently am, especially when talking to people about whom I know little, BUT...give this episode time. I would have hated Sisterhooves Social when I was still at home dealing with my younger siblings, but now that they're moving on to college, getting jobs and things like that, this episode hit a certain part of my heart pretty hard.

Then you go back and look at their childhood drawing and, GOOD LORD! :(

Personally I think I have a bit more appreciation for Rarity's character than I did at first, so I think I enjoy Rarity-centered episodes better now than the first time around.

A number of episodes, especially later Season Two episodes, have been jumping up in quality in my mind the more I watch them. Truth be told the only one that hasn't is Mysterious Mare Do Well. Even Putting Your Hoof Down was a tad better on second viewing.

The episode I can think of that took the most dramatic upswing for me, at least originally, was A Dog and Pony Show. When I first saw that episode, I didn't think much of it. I wasn't all that enamored with the way the plot was constructed and I didn't quite look at it the right way...I was too full of expectations of actual cliches and thus there wasn't as much surprise. Funny thing was I didn't see quite how well the story subverted so many cliches until repeated viewings. Things like throwing the Diamond Dogs off themselves, for instance, was something you'd almost never see from any other show with primarily female protagonists because most shows like that tend be rather...insultingly sexist. Yet here we have them saying "Uh, no," and immediately acting responsibly in saving themselves.

And of course I love Rarity's whining every time I hear it. The more I hear it the more it amuses me...I can't NOT laugh whenever I hear it, because it's just so beautifully done! A Dog and Pony Show went from one of my least favorites in my initial binge to possibly in my top five episodes of the entire series, because it's just a barrel of good laughs and strong encouraging messages from start to finish.

Every episode I've seen twice was better the second time, of course that is probably because I watched all the episodes once before watching any of them twice so on my second viewings I feel more connected to the characters.

In y opinion, I didn't like the Owl's Well that Ends Well, Hearts and Hooves episodes. I haven't seen Dragon Quest but I have a feeling it will not be a favorite of mine at all. Same with Secret of my Excess.

I don't think I'll like them as time rolls over, but I'll probably watch them a few times over if I have to.