Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What has changed as you've gotten older?

Member Berry

I'm more aware and accepting of people . I have been more assertive and also less myself . By that I I mean I got so hooked to Internet dating it almost ruined me and my friendship with a dear friend. Now that I have someone who's staying , I am hoping I'll improve on that area. I also gained more self-love and respect for who I am.

I was a much bigger jerk back in high school (roughly 17 years ago, I think).  I was generally some degree of miserable (emotionally and / or physically), and I didn't particularly care much about myself.  I used to fight with my younger brother all the time; nowadays, I recognize him as one of the most important people in my life.  My more severe OCD symptoms began to manifest a bit before that, and I struggled with my condition for the following fifteen or so years.  Nowadays, I'm in love, I'm more comfortable in my own skin, and I'm happier than I've been in a long damn time.  There are still hiccups, of course, but things have definitely - and significantly - improved.

I used to be happy, not a worry in the world. Mommy or daddy tells me something about the world? It's true! Mommy and daddy would never lie to me!

(srsly tho)

Then I got older, found the internet, went out more, became un-isolated, and found what the world really was: nothing like they'd told me.

I've gained a huge interest in computers, programming, and making music.

My music interest increased.

Suffering horrible anxiety and depression all the time. :'(

I have to hide my mood now, and act happy.

I don't trust my parents as much.

My voice obviously.

i've gotten into things i shouldn't have.

annnnd becoming a dumbass in school, and by all the "older folk", saying i follow the wrong crowd.

• Brohoof 1

As I've grown older, I have become more aware of the true reality of the world around me. This is a double edged sword, because often times, reality can be painful. My self awareness is more heightened. My critical thinking ability to discern fact from fiction has increased. I'm much more flexible and open to suggestion concerning my beliefs and no longer follow a linear mindset. I've become reserved and I have less confidence in myself. I'm much more aware of my flaws and I actively aim to fix them. These are probably the biggest changes.

Becoming older, I would say that my perspective about others have changed, as well as my attitude towards people.

My kindness and helpfulness hasn't changed however, but now I don't hesitate to say what's on my mind in order for people to stop being a pain to others or myself.

I don't really see the issue with that. It seems to me like the only people who would have a problem with that is other people and they don't even begin to matter when expressing your opinion except that they get to hear it. Sometimes they even ask for it! :lol:

I say being opinionated, regardless of whether people will agree with you or not, is one of the best things you can be. You have thoughts, you express them and people should love you for it. A lot of people hold back or even change their opinions just because they don't want people to get mad at them for them and that's horrible.

Maybe I should put it this way: I was obnoxious. I was hateful. It was not good, and when I get opinionated like that it's never good. And I never blame people for getting agitated with me for it.

I try to be nice these days, but in truth I still get pretty extreme with my opinions.

Maybe I should put it this way: I was obnoxious. I was hateful. It was not good, and when I get opinionated like that it's never good. And I never blame people for getting agitated with me for it.

I try to be nice these days, but in truth I still get pretty extreme with my opinions.

Maybe it's just my skewed perspective because I have friends who are the same way but that's perfectly acceptable to me. Kinda comes with the territory. I guess if it bothers you so much I can't really say much else though.

I guess i used to be happier. Ignornace is bliss they say. The more i observed the world around me, understood society better, i became cynical and dissatisfied. I used to trust people alot more easily than what i do now, but that's just how i turned out to be. Can't say i'm entirely happy, but being me has it's perks.

Maybe it's just my skewed perspective because I have friends who are the same way but that's perfectly acceptable to me. Kinda comes with the territory. I guess if it bothers you so much I can't really say much else though.

It bothers me for more than one reason. Not only is it obnoxious and rude (also immature), becoming so fanatical in opinions blinds one from being reasonable at all, and can ruin something one might actually have enjoyed.

This happened to me back in high school, where I shut my mind off to pretty much any music I didn't already listen to - especially modern rock, punk (especially punk), rap, etc. While I can't say I listen much to the other two, I can say I've really come to like punk, whereas I just straight-up hated it, and I was obnoxious about it. I was obnoxious about hating the other genres, too, like rap. Even though I don't listen to rap today, I am not proud of my behavior, and you will not see me say me speak a word of rap one way or other these days. Except to fight those who make ignorant statements about it, like them saying it's not music. I've even argued with my dad over that one. lol

Back when I had these opinions I made an enemy out of pretty much everyone, and as I said before, I can't blame them. It is NOT a good trait to have.

I used to be really terrified about talking to people. During middle school, I went through a period where I couldn't ask strangers what time it was, because I had horrible anxiety, ie shortness of breath and heart pounding even. This alleviated during high school, but I was still scared to talk to people. Making friends has always been hard for me, but as I've gotten older, every day to day interactions are a breeze. I don't get nervous making phone calls to strangers like I once did. 

I also used to cry a lot. I would get so emotional and worry about mean people and what they would say to me. As I've gotten older, I've learned that mean people will always exist, negativity will always exist, but I focus on the positive things in my life rather than worry about people I honestly don't really care about and how mean they are. 

I worried about my peers in school, and I'm talking about college and beyond, being in the entertainment business, it's very competitive, and people are cut throat, especially in the lower tiers. I've honestly done well on my own to not care about them, or how successful they are in the business, and worry about being successful in life rather than one particular business path. I'm happier in life because of it.

So in a way, I'd say I don't worry about what negative people think about me or anything nowadays, and I don't let it bother me.

I feel like I'm also calmer and don't worry about everyday things like I used to. I have the maturity and the mental fortitude to accomplish almost anything. Becoming a father and being fired from my job a week later and my family going through that for a few years helped solidify our skills on budgeting, planning, tenacity.

We also went through the toughest thing we've ever been through during this time...I don't want to go into the details, but I'll just say that it was a major loss that I wouldn't wish on anyone, and going through something like that really puts worrying about negative people and sourness into perspective. Some things matter, really matter, and the rest...doesn't.

And shouldn't. 

Back when I had these opinions I made an enemy out of pretty much everyone, and as I said before, I can't blame them. It is NOT a good trait to have.

Well you're cool now. I don't think anyone considers you an enemy here. That's just my opinion though.

Well you're cool now. I don't think anyone considers you an enemy here. That's just my opinion though.

Whatever you say. I know deep down that I have not changed as much as I'd want to believe. I just keep my mouth shut more often. lol

One thing I didn't mention earlier is my view of time. It moves ever faster than it did before. Summers were longer(although never long enough) and the school year seemed like an eternity. But now, my perception has changed. It's not yet very significant but it's there and I know it's only going to keep moving faster as the years transpire.

I guess i used to be happier. Ignornace is bliss they say. The more i observed the world around me, understood society better, i became cynical and dissatisfied. I used to trust people alot more easily than what i do now, but that's just how i turned out to be. Can't say i'm entirely happy, but being me has it's perks.

I guess there's no simple answer for a question like this.

My kindness and helpfulness hasn't changed however, but now I don't hesitate to say what's on my mind in order for people to stop being a pain to others or myself.

You sound like a more developed Fluttershy right now.

Whatever you say. I know deep down that I have not changed as much as I'd want to believe. I just keep my mouth shut more often. lol

Well, that's unfortunate.

It bothers me for more than one reason. Not only is it obnoxious and rude (also immature), becoming so fanatical in opinions blinds one from being reasonable at all, and can ruin something one might actually have enjoyed.

This happened to me back in high school, where I shut my mind off to pretty much any music I didn't already listen to - especially modern rock, punk (especially punk), rap, etc. While I can't say I listen much to the other two, I can say I've really come to like punk, whereas I just straight-up hated it, and I was obnoxious about it. I was obnoxious about hating the other genres, too, like rap. Even though I don't listen to rap today, I am not proud of my behavior, and you will not see me say me speak a word of rap one way or other these days. Except to fight those who make ignorant statements about it, like them saying it's not music. I've even argued with my dad over that one. lol

I suppose if it prevents you from enjoying new things it could be a problem. I sometimes do the same thing and vehemently stand against something...then for no reason whatsoever I change my mind and I'm all over it. :P

In one word: EVERYTHING!

Don't grow up kids, it sucks.

Well to be honest, A lot has changed in me ever since I was younger. Compared to me back then, I was a huge jerk and I only cared about myself. I was really immature, rude, and disrespectful. Now, not only I've recognized the error of my ways, but I always look forward in life. I feel positive for anything in life, I believe in myself and I try my best to help others whenever I can! It's a good thing I've changed for the better and not for the worse. :)

when I was a kid I was very scare of people I also hated reading and as a teenager I was very sad & lonely tho I  would still try to act happy I would also lie & say I hated clowns even tho I liked  , now I'm more honest about how I feel & the things I like and I'm not  lonely anymore and I love reading & I have friends

I don't argue over every single little thing people say like I use to XD. "Pick" your battles as they say. Yeah, I've definitely learned to do that more.

Other than that, things haven't really changed. I still give people the benefit of the doubt even after being proven wrong, some basic trust even after being hurt, and believe deep down that everyone is inherently good, some people have just become hurt/misguided. I'm not naive. I just have a very bad habit of forgiving. Which can be good, but equally harmful in some situations. My mom tells me as I grow older and "get out here in this world" that view will change...but I have faith. Hope not. Already enough negative people as there is out here  -_-.

I can see quite a shot in maturity as I've gotten older, your ways of thinking change a bit too. I suppose that's to be expected though. 

When I was younger, I tried eating a lot more after someone pointed out how skinny I was. Now it's sort of become the opposite...

I've also grown to like new foods, and I've become disgusted by foods I used to enjoy. I now love nuts but hate sandwiches.

I've always been a bit different kind of girl, because I have ADHD. Before I went to high school I used to be verry naive and I thought everyone liked me because they where nice to my but now I know that they where only nice because otherwise I would cry (I cried a lot) but now I know who my real friends are and who are just kind because they have to. But I think I'm also a bit more 'normal' now. I'm also a bit less bossy now, if people want to do things differently as I want to do then I won't start screaming at them but just kindly tell them why my idea is better XD