Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When MLP:FiM is over with do you think bronies will start to die off?

ChipsAhoyMcCoy

the fandom will continue on making stuff, we gotta get in good with HASBRO and convince them to let some group of bronies with the right idea and will stay true to the show take over once all is said and done on HASBRO's end.

You'll either die a fandom like the Mass Effect fandom, or you live long enough to see yourself become like the Sonic fandom.

• Brohoof 5

It will certainly decrease in size until the next mlp, but they won't all die off. Like the halo fandom, it will grow smaller the more time goes on, unless we see another great re-imagining like we did with gen 4

• Brohoof 4

heres the thing i'm 15 now and wont get to go to a con til i'm in my 20s and so i dont want it to end at all i love the show so much and i cant see leaving the fandom. Dont yall think we will still be arond for a long while after the show is over?

A fanbase rarely ever dies off. Granted if it grows big enough and the show or whatever it is based off of ends for whatever reason, it can and most likely will go through a contraction.

A goof example that I can think of would be the original version of Battlestar Galactica from the 70s. It lasted only a season (not counting the short-lived 80s sequel series), but the fandom (small in comparison to Star Wars, Star Trek, and Babylon 5) was still there to support it. There were a few legit revival attempts prior to the remake series (Richard Hatch made a trailer, Glen Larson had his own ideas, and even Bryan Singer was contracted to direct a remake at one point), but in the end it was the fans that helped keep Battlestar alive.

FiM's fanbase will live on; even if it does contract.

• Brohoof 4

It will certainly decrease in size until the next mlp, but they won't all die off. Like the halo fandom, it will grow smaller the more time goes on, unless we see another great re-imagining like we did with gen 4

If i may, indeed the Halo community has dropped.........................................however after E3, riots of Halo fans broke out in cheers of joy, :)

• Brohoof 2

You'll either die a fandom like the Mass Effect fandom, or you live long enough to see yourself become like the Sonic fandom.

Ehh, at this point, seeing how people slander bronies, I'm covinced the sonic guys must have been given a bad rap in much the same way.

Anyhow, on topic, I think it remains to be seen. There will always be fans and people who call themselves bronies, but the question is, how active will it be? What will the community be like? It might exist, but not in the form we currently enjoy, with the consistently high level of activity and content creation.

Then again, much as Star Wars is now, Hasbro might find various ways to expand upon the franchise, continually creating new material, keeping the fandom going, which certainly seems the case at the moment.

• Brohoof 1

I hope we dont i know the show wont end for awhile but i hope we wind up like the Star Wars and Star Trek fandoms and we'll be around for a long time even after the show ends.

This I totally support 100%! I'm a huge star wars fan myself so I doubt ill let go of MLP. ;)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

There's a good chance you'll see less and less activity until the next generation arrives; if it's factually as good as or better than FIM, you're going to see more and more flock to the generation. However, bronies will continue to organize, create fanwork, and attend conventions, including brony ones. Even in its vast size, this fandom still has that community vibe that has never truly gone away. As long as bronies remain loyal to FIM, the fandom will never truly die.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

Ehh, at this point, seeing how people slander bronies, I'm covinced the sonic guys must have been given a bad rap in much the same way.

It's our vocal minority. Us regular bronies try to pretend they don't exist, but they represent us on the public stage. And they give us a real bad image.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's our vocal minority. Us regular bronies try to pretend they don't exist, but they represent us on the public stage. And they give us a real bad image.

I just really don't think that's the case. Every group has that vocal minority, and every group's opponents use that minority to try and discredit them. In any case, I think you're overestimating their significance. The only people with whom bronies seem to have a bad image, as far as I've seen, are people whose opinions aren't very well formed in the first place. Altogether, I think our image is good. At the least, no worse than all other varieties of "geek."

Edited by Keen Blade

I just really don't think that's the case. Every group has that vocal minority, and every group's opponents use that minority to try and discredit them. In any case, I think you're overestimating their significance. The only people with whom bronies seem to have a bad image, as far as I've seen, are people whose opinions aren't very well formed in the first place. Altogether, I think our image is good. At the least, no worse than all other varieties of "geek."

I've been around, and the consistent theme I'm getting is that our vocal minorities' behavior seems to be how the mainstream internet actually sees us.

Or maybe I'm just being cranky.

I've been around, and the consistent theme I'm getting is that our vocal minorities' behavior seems to be how the mainstream internet actually sees us.

There really is no easy answer to that; and any answer given is likely to be too general.

Yes, the internet could judge the fandom as a whole based on said vocal minority; but then how do we characterize those who are judging us? They very well could be the minority themselves inside the more silent majority who respect us while not really caring enough about FiM to comment. Examples?

1. A very close friend of mine who never understood the fascination for the show, but had respect for brines regardless.

2. A well known YouTuber by the name of Markiplier who, while not a briny himself, never says a negative thing about the fandom.

I've gone and fallen for a blue pegasus pony, so I'm pretty much devoted to the darned MLP thing for life lol (to some degree or another).  I might disappear...  As if into the shadows...  Should the fandom shrink significantly in size.  But I've bought the DVDs.  I've got the merch...  It's a part of me now.  I imagine there must be others like myself.

Mark is epic like that though

One reason why I follow above all other individual YouTubers.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I know what you mean; I had a period where I let my awareness of the jerks and morons start draining the fun out of things. The thing to to keep in mind is, regardless of those people, or of what people in general think (because, hey, when wasn't there brony-hate?) that's just not the truth about things. I've found too much good to want to give up on it or let myself get down because of a few morons. I've always been happiest when I ignore all of the junk I can't control on focus on all the good things I've found (and I've noticed things are smoothest when the fandom in general does the same).

You should look at Sane Brony's blog. He talks about these kinds of issues, and he has a lot of positive and insightful things to say.

Edited by Keen Blade

I think some may decide to leave, but I also think that many (and by many I mean most!) will stay. I mean, we will still have fanart, fanfictions, and the like that can be made... and many fans also could collaborate or make MLP fanmade episodes, such as already all over Youtube. So don't worry! :)

(edited)

Honestly I think there are three outcomes for the fandom given that we know that MLP G4 will be lasting another 5 more years giving us 9 season for the show at the very less. 

Outcome 1: The Best Outcome - More or less once the TV is over the community will go wild since now they no longer have to worry about the show adding or changing things. Having all the canon laid out will allow all types of viewers the chance to full pull the show apart and see what creative works they can make out of it. The best thing that could come out of the end of the TV is that Hasbro makes some type of forum or department allowing animators to go through them when it comes to making fan animations. I think if some type of agreement that allows animators to make videos and possible fan series and possible games that does not create issues with copy right infringement for both Hasbro and the fan creators would allow MLP G4 to live on and would cement the fandom for years to come when it comes to large fan projects.

Outcome 2: The Realistic Outcome - Unlike the best one, more or less the realistic one will be more of the same we have now. The fandom would decrease at a slow rate, but would still have fan-works coming out and projects here and where. Creators would have the same amount of freedom as they have now and just like the best they could finally create without worry the show would end up making their work total non-canon or impossible. The only issue just like now is fan animation and games would still have to worry about C&D and thus making it harder for new animation works to come out thus having a healthy new content that might attract new viewer and keep the fandom fresh would not be there.  

Outcome 3: The Worst Possible Thing Outcome - Everypony who is a healthy and respectable brony/pegasister leaves only leaving the super obsessive creepy fans who more or less dig the fandom an early grave to the point that Hasbro decides never to make another MLP series or will only make MLP series like G3.5 just to keep bronies and adults away from the series.... (Note: I honestly don't think this one will happen at all, but it's amusing to point out this type of outcome)     

Edited by TeaCrumpet

I know the activity on this site will decrease after the show is over. There will still be plenty of bronies. Whenever you go on a forum and see a pastel pony avatar, you know that the fandom has never disappeared.