Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Your Period a Good Excuse to Take Off Work?

Hive King

Periods and Work  

35 users have voted

1. 1. Is it a good excuse?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

This is very on topic.  We're discussing the reasons WHY it should be days off.

Sketchy line, but you're probably right. I overreacted a bit

I don't know what you mean by transgendered men.  do you mean bio men?  They've never had and will never have a period.  And if you mean bio girls, then they no longer have periods.
But they used to have periods. That's what I'm saying 

uterus bonding ftw, and haha sorry. We'll stay on topic. :P
Though I have nothing else to discuss in the matter. 

I enjoy being creative with my wording

I'm reading this thread going wow... and shaking my head... and that's just reading... I don't have an opinion. Why? Cause I don't need one. It's this simple folks. Woman have been having them since the beginning of their existence. If all of the technological breakthroughs we made over the past haven't helped you any and you need the day off work or school during more "heavier" times, then take the day off by all means it's no big deal. People take days off for even more stupider reasons then natural body functions. 

It is entirely dependent on how bad a woman's periods actually are. Some girls can hardly move for the cramping and pain. I used to get severe backaches when I was younger. (That was my body's excuse for cramps. They were occasionally bad enough to induce a migraine too, which would end with me going home from school.)

I'm not nearly so bad anymore. For the first few days I'm a little tired, and I'll feel slightly light-headed. (Blood loss + being anaemic.) Backaches are mild, and can be killed with a fast-acting painkiller. I don't get moody either, though I'll not be as exuberant as usual due to feeling tired.

So me, I don't need a day off and wouldn't take one. For other women, a day off can be mandatory due to them being in excruciating pain. I've been on both sides at different points in my life.

• Brohoof 2

Just thought I'd also mention that excuse is a term used for deliberate avoidence of the truth. If the truth is that part yourself can cause embarrasement for yourself that you'd like to avoid, then calling in sick isn't an excuse at that point, it is in actuallity, a valid REASON.

I got a better idea.... Why don't you create a thread asking all the girls to tell us what you actually go through during that time. I honestly think the first hand telling would probably settle a lot of matters on the subject.

(edited)

TMI ahead.

Well, for me, my period has never been too painful. There has only been one time that I had bad cramps, and that was the first time I started.

Other than that, I haven't had many problems with it. (Other than the fact that I'm bleeding out of my bottom. Which is really frightening if you think too long about it.)

I know for some women, however, their cramps are so bad, it literally makes them unable to function. So, really, it depends on the person.

But we all know there's gonna be those women who really aren't hurting, but use their period as an advantage to get out of work. So, I think the general law should be 'No, you can't get out of work because of your period'. But individual workers can inform their bosses of their specific problems, and maybe get an official doctor's report to show that they actually need a day off for it. :)

Also, this topic is rather awkward to write about. :derp:

Edited by TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos

Just thought I'd also mention that excuse is a term used for deliberate avoidence of the truth. If the truth is that part yourself can cause embarrasement for yourself that you'd like to avoid, then calling in sick isn't an excuse at that point, it is in actuallity, a valid REASON.

I got a better idea.... Why don't you create a thread asking all the girls to tell us what you actually go through during that time. I honestly think the first hand telling would probably settle a lot of matters on the subject.

Good question. The better question is, why don't you take the initiative? :P

And excuse does not mean that, it means 

a reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense

In this case, the word excuse is perfectly legitimate as losing a work day is a fault

Good question. The better question is, why don't you take the initiative? :P

And excuse does not mean that, it means 

a reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense

In this case, the word excuse is perfectly legitimate as losing a work day is a fault

I lead a construction crew. Don't even think you could out talk me about excuses and what they mean vs legitimate reasons to leave early or take a day off. From my own experience I've understood and even learned how I used excuses long ago as lies to myself about my own incompetence at the time. Today though, if I made a mistake, I'm not scared to admit it at all. I think more people should admit their mistakes but to save personal disgrace and self embarassment a little white lie is simply easier even it's outcome is a bigger time waster and bigger inconvenience to all involved and not just the excuse maker.

AS for why don't I make the thread... It's because I was waiting for someone else's desire to hear about it. Challenge accepted.

Should having your period warrant you getting a day off? Before you ask, this was inspired by Tumblr discussions, so yeah. Discuss

No. As much as it sucks, I still need to get paid somehow.

• Brohoof 1

TMI ahead.

Well, for me, my period has never been too painful. There has only been one time that I had bad cramps, and that was the first time I started.

Other than that, I haven't had many problems with it. (Other than the fact that I'm bleeding out of my bottom. Which is really frightening if you think too long about it.)

I know for some women, however, their cramps are so bad, it literally makes them unable to function. So, really, it depends on the person.

But we all know there's gonna be those women who really aren't hurting, but use their period as an advantage to get out of work. So, I think the general law should be 'No, you can't get out of work because of your period'. But individual workers can inform their bosses of their specific problems, and maybe get an official doctor's report to show that they actually need a day off for it. :)

Also, this topic is rather awkward to write about. :derp:

I think that might be illegal to tell someone they can't stay home if they're in pain and bleeding and they want to go home over that.

and that's extremely intrusive of privacy to have to inform your boss and have a doctor note saying that you're having your period O.o  just take the sick days, they don't have to know why you are sick

What... Too scared to make the first post...?

No, just lack of knowledge. I have never deal with a woman on their period. Actually, that's not true, I probably have due to dumb luck, but when I have, I don't know about it

No, just lack of knowledge. I have never deal with a woman on their period. Actually, that's not true, I probably have due to dumb luck, but when I have, I don't know about it

I feel like a i'm reading an excuse rather then looking at a pony that probably actually would have a genuine question of some sort. I mean come on, by now everything you've pretty much heard as either been schoolastic or simply based upon "what you've head out there". Surely in all this time nothing came to mind that you would ask?

I feel like a i'm reading an excuse rather then looking at a pony that probably actually would have a genuine question of some sort. I mean come on, by now everything you've pretty much heard as either been schoolastic or simply based upon "what you've head out there". Surely in all this time nothing came to mind that you would ask?

Well played turning the word excuse on me. And as for what to ask, what is there to ask? The topic question satisfies me

Well played turning the word excuse on me. And as for what to ask, what is there to ask? The topic question satisfies me

That's just it pony.... THINK.... you had a mother that went through it... My point here is that THIS IS the time to think back and go "What WOULD I like to know or get confused about it?" 

I don't want to derail the thread topic so this the last I'll speak about it in here.

(edited)

Despite what virtually every average classmate of the past and present may interoperate what periods are, having severe cramps is actually a sign of a menstrual disorder. If you really do have bad enough cramps on your period where it severely affects your daily routines, then you should see a doctor. 

But, yet again, in spite of that, periods in almost every woman affect hormones and the mental train of thought greatly. Although some can control it quite well, some people are simply less maintained without making periods a total excuse to be... moody. For this fact, I'd say It's fair enough to stay home if you talk to your boss about and why exactly it is deserved. It is true that periods can be that... nasty. 

Edited by IncognitoKiwoy
  • Brohoof 1

But, in spite of that, periods in almost every woman affect hormones and the mental train of thought greatly. Although some can control it quite well, some people are simply less maintained without making periods a total excuse to be... moody.

Not the case. I don't distinguish any change in my general mood at that time of the month, aside from simple tiredness. (That said, I'm usually a fairly pleasant person.) We're all a little different, but I'm certainly not the only woman in the world who doesn't get moody due to periods.

Hormonal fluctuations affect some women worse than others. For most, they barely make a dent, or at worst they'll just generally cause a slightly more reserved demeanour. For others, they hit quite hard and cause much bigger mood swings. The contraceptive pill can help mitigate these, as well as severe cramping.

And as far as severe cramping goes, yes it can be an indication that something is not quite right; but that 'something' can often be impossible to fix. (My backaches are evidence of an inverted uterus, but if that's actually the case I'm still stuck with it. No doctor is going to remove it for me. Thankfully they've decreased vastly in severity.) We just have to grin and bear it as much as possible.

• Brohoof 1

Not the case. I don't distinguish any change in my general mood at that time of the month, aside from simple tiredness. (That said, I'm usually a fairly pleasant person.) We're all a little different, but I'm certainly not the only woman in the world who doesn't get moody due to periods.

Hormonal fluctuations affect some women worse than others. For most, they barely make a dent, or at worst they'll just generally cause a slightly more reserved demeanour. For others, they hit quite hard and cause much bigger mood swings. The contraceptive pill can help mitigate these, as well as severe cramping.

And as far as severe cramping goes, yes it can be an indication that something is not quite right; but that 'something' can often be impossible to fix. (My backaches are evidence of an inverted uterus, but if that's actually the case I'm still stuck with it. No doctor is going to remove it for me. Thankfully they've decreased vastly in severity.) We just have to grin and bear it as much as possible.

I was taught otherwise with the hormones, but I'll take your word for it. ^^ There's always the chance that you skip past a few details and retell them a little differently than originally intended. 

I think that might be illegal to tell someone they can't stay home if they're in pain and bleeding and they want to go home over that.

and that's extremely intrusive of privacy to have to inform your boss and have a doctor note saying that you're having your period O.o  just take the sick days, they don't have to know why you are sick

Eeh, yeah, I agree, but at the same time, there will be people who take advantage of it, even when they truly don't need to stay home. :(

Eeh, yeah, I agree, but at the same time, there will be people who take advantage of it, even when they truly don't need to stay home. :(

yeah but that happens everyday with everything.  you can't it away from people who need it just because of that

• Brohoof 2

I was taught otherwise with the hormones, but I'll take your word for it. ^^ There's always the chance that you skip past a few details and retell them a little differently than originally intended. 

Our hormones are always in flux; it's most pronounced in women, but it's true for men as well. I guess I'm not particularly susceptible to emotional difficulties induced by said hormones. Not everybody is. (Even when I am feeling pretty down, I know how to keep an even lid on my temper. It's an art form you pick up pretty quickly as a teacher.)

Keep in mind, women are often stereotyped as uncontrollably emotional when it's not actually true. The hormone/emotional stuff is not as pronounced as society likes to say it is.

Of course, I'm speaking from my own perspective here. Just because I don't experience hormonally induced emotional difficulties doesn't mean every other woman is the same, or that I'm even in a majority. I'm just going by my own experience.