Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Your Period a Good Excuse to Take Off Work?

Hive King

Periods and Work  

35 users have voted

1. 1. Is it a good excuse?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

First off, Im a guy, however I grew up with  single mother and an older sister, so of course I heard about it whenever it was the time of the month. From what I can tell, yeah, its fine to take time off work as it can cause real discomfort.

Well, I think it's fine to take occasional time off. If you're consistently missing work though, then you should really see a doctor about that. That's a lot of life to be missing out on, and in our modern medical age there are several means of making menstrual cramps less severe. 

• 5 years later...

I say it depends on how bad it is. For the first day or so I’m literally in so much pain it’s hard for me to function, but as long as I dope up on pain relievers I’m good. That being said I don’t use my period as an excuse to not go to work no matter how bad it is...I’m too broke to be taking days off anyhow. :ButtercupLaugh:

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

The women I have met so far, don't seem to take the day off. Even when there is pain involved.

If I was a woman,... maybe I would take the day off, depending on the situation.

• Brohoof 3

male, but hell I could just say I'm requesting a day off because my sisters or mother isn't feeling too well and I just want to support them. :toldya:

In seriousness, it's your choice, call in sick since it's not illegal to whatever that reasons might be.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

It depends on how bad it is. So far I’ve only had to call out sick once due to my period in my lifetime. That was due to vomiting. I can’t run a machine and have to stop to go the bathroom to get sick. 

With how insanely hard companies work their employees nowadays, and giving little to no time off, I think that companies should at least allow women the choice whether to take time off while going through a period and not slam a ton of consequences on them for doing it either. I'm saying this as a male.

• 4 months later...

Sometimes they can be bad enough to warrant a day off. If someone can’t function at reasonable efficiency (and believe me, it can easily be the case) they should take the day off. I’ve seen people take a day off for very minor colds or other problems, and none were even close to a really bad p-word. I don’t like skipping work unless it’s a really bad case, but sometimes it’s honestly justified.