Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you women go through during your periods? (content warning)

Twilight Circuits

In another thread in response to Evil Dragon Master, here it is.

Alright listen up every pony. Since the dawn of woman kind, they have always bled for us. That is no secret. But what IS kinda secret about this whole monthly period thing? The truth would be the general male population actually doesn't know much about it. As a matter fact, I'm perfectly confident in saying this is how generalizations get made about it simply because men with their wife or girlfriend go through this thing, called an "experience". What experience? The experience that let's you call up or meet up with so called other male best friend and go "oh man... she's on the rag again..." 

So enough of this horse hockey. I want the straight damn goods girls, and you should be prepared for a couple hard questions from male readers if they dare ask them. But what do I want?

I want you to tell the male population what you actually do go through during this time period. Symptoms, emotions, functions. There's no holding back. Don't care care or think about what might seem unpleasent to read for us. The world needs to know.

So your a guy and you've had experience with this? See below.

So your LBGTQ and don't want to feel left out? *brohoof* See below.

What am I am doing is this:

I invite all types to share their experience or wonder about a stereotype they might have heard or a rumor they have always wondered.

If you are a girl sharing your information or story I want your post to be in pink.

If you are a guy sharing your information or story I want your post to be in blue.

If you LGBT and sharing your information or story I want your post to be in purple.

If you simply have something to say about the matter as a reader/commenter then i'd like your post in red.

(edited)

This is certainly an... odd question.

If you want to learn more about this, I suggest you do some reasearch online. This thread may make some women uncomfortable.

I will say, however, I get cramps in my legs and I get very crabby when it is that time of the month. 

Edited by Royal Samurott
  • Brohoof 3

If you want to learn more about this, I suggest you do some reasearch online. This thread may make some women uncomfortable.

I will say, however, I get cramps in my legs and I get very crabby when it is that time of the month. 

Honestly this. Tho i know i din't help by posting  :lol:

I'd say that, women go through a menopause stage then go through other stages depending on their age. They mostly have a shift in how they act or feel, some other symptoms as well.

(edited)

I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable deliberately. But the truth would be still be truth. How are we supposed to know what you go through and how you deal with it and what you would want from your partner if there is one. This isn't about trying to make woman uncomfortable, this about trying to get the real world out.

Science already says you do it every month for a variety of different reasons depending on the health issue. I don't need to research online to find some scholastic BS they taught you in high-school which if you don't know is still jack fucking shit as far as i'm concerned. That's one of the reasons why you have boyfriends and husbands that don't care or don't know what to do and then turn around be like "whaaa my boyfriend doesn't like me"

True education is experience directly told. Reading some medical paper from a supposedly educated individual isn't the same thing as  hearing it from the horses mouth, pony.

edit: damn spelling

Edited by TwilightCircuits

I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable deliberately. But the truth would be still be truth. How are we supposed to know what you go through and how you deal with it and what you would want from your partner if there is one. This isn't about trying to make woman uncomfortable, this about trying to get the real world out.

Science already says you do it every month for a variety of different reasons depending on the health issue. I don't need to research online to find some schoolastic BS they taught you in highschool which if you don't know is still jack fucking shit as far as i'm concerned. That's one of the reasons why you have boyfriends and husbands that don't care or dont know what to do and then turn around be like "whaaa my boyfriend doesn't like me"

True education is experience directly told. Reading some medical paper from a supposedly educated individual isn't the same thing

hearing it from the horses mouth, pony.

I'm not saying that you're asking is wrong or shouldn't be asked. I'm just saying it is a very personal topic.

(edited)

This is a much easier-to-read shade of pink. I'm using this one.

For my part, when I was younger my periods could be quite painful. I suffered very bad backaches instead of cramps. (There's a possibility this indicates that I have an inverted uterus, though as I don't intend to have children I've never actually had that confirmed.) These backaches could get so bad that they would induce a migraine, and when that happened I'd need to be sent home from school. My parents eventually put me on the the contraceptive pill, as this has the effect of lessening period pain for many women quite substantially. It was enormously helpful to me at the time.

I don't take the pill anymore, as I don't need to. My periods don't cause me nearly as much pain as they used to.

These days, my period simply causes me to be slightly tired and sluggish, and I tend to get a little light-headed for the first few days. (Blood loss + being anaemic = not much fun.) I don't get any hormonal mood swings at all and I never have; I just won't be quite as exuberant as usual due to the tiredness and dizziness. I still get mild backaches, but these can be killed with a fast-acting painkiller rather effectively.

So I've been on both sides, ranging from 'moderate-to-severe' down to 'mild inconvenience'.

Also, I don't find this all that awkward to talk about. It's personal, yes, but it's a natural function of women's bodies. By talking about it, we make the discussion of it less taboo and spread awareness of what it's really like. That's a good thing.

Edited by Kay Dreamer
  • Brohoof 11

(edited)

This topic makes me feel odd. But hey. I guess maybe you all do need to know. The cramps are painful all the times. And I do get kind of moody and kind of cravy (crave-y). That's all the info I can give because I feel kind of uncomfortable here.

Edited by Star Ruby
  • Brohoof 2

This topic makes me feel odd. But hey. I guess maybe you all do need to know. The cramps are painful all the times. And I do get kind of moody and kind of cravy (crave-y). That's all the info I can give because I feel kind of uncomfortable here.

A valiant effort in contribution we all thank and bless you for.

This is a much easier-to-read shade of pink. I'm using this one.

For my part, when I was younger my periods could be quite painful. I suffered very bad backaches instead of cramps. (There's a possibility this indicates that I have an inverted uterus, though as I don't intend to have children I've never actually had that confirmed.) These backaches could get so bad that they would induce a migraine, and when that happened I'd need to be sent home from school. My parents eventually put me on the the contraceptive pill, as this has the effect of lessening period pain for many women quite substantially. It was enormously helpful to me at the time.

I don't take the pill anymore, as I don't need to. My periods don't cause me nearly as much pain as they used to.

These days, my period simply causes me to be slightly tired and sluggish, and I tend to get a little light-headed for the first few days. (Blood loss + being anaemic = not much fun.) I don't get any hormonal mood swings at all and I never have; I just won't be quite as exuberant as usual due to the tiredness and dizziness. I still get mild backaches, but these can be killed with a fast-acting painkiller rather effectively.

So I've been on both sides, ranging from 'moderate-to-severe' down to 'mild inconvenience'.

Also, I don't find this all that awkward to talk about. It's personal, yes, but it's a natural function of women's bodies. By talking about it, we make the discussion of it less taboo and spread awareness of what it's really like. That's a good thing.

This here pony's is a perfect example of a good share. Kay Dreamer, I give you a high brohoof salute! If I had the money, i'd send you a tail but i don't so the a brohoof will have to do.

I agree with this as a fourteen year old girl... just saying.

Awkward-My-Little-Pony-Moment-Gif.gif

• Brohoof 1

Hmm, alright. Periods tend to work differently for different people, but here's how it rolls on my end.

I'm young, which is probably why my period refuses to land at a predictable time. Other than that, I've got it easy. The adverse effects bow in and out and are mostly confined to a length of 3 days. 

1. Lethargy, especially physically. Mentally I'm still sharp, if more introverted and low on patience.

2. A slight, dull ache around my abdominal area; basically a stomach ache.

3. I'm quick to lose my temper, but I am able to call myself out immediately afterwards and apologize. Stuff like being annoyed and raising my voice more than I intended. 

4. Occasionally, #2 turns into full on cramps. These are always in the abdominal area for me. Combine having gas with a bit of heartburn, move it down, and you have a good idea. The cramps combine with lethargy to create me really wanting to just curl up in a corner and not move mmkay. In public, I'll smile through the pain and take any opportunity to sit down. They usually last for a few hours at a time, not all day.

My period lasts about a week, but after the first few days, I'm not bleeding as heavily.

I do not get food cravings during my period. However, I do get more acne.

"Women's mysteries" ain't really my thing. Periods aren't something completely beyond the comprehension of man as long as they've got a decent idea of what different types of pain and being in an irritable mood feel like. Sure, it's personal and not the sort of stuff you chat about in a restaurant, but hey, if you just want to know how people's bodies work, no use in being all MYSTERIOUS about it. 

• Brohoof 2

~*~ My Period ~*~

The first day, it is not so bad. I feel pretty normal.

The second and third days are the worst. I have really bad lower back pain during this time. I feel a constant, throbbing pain in my back. It's especially bad if I am standing for long periods of time or sitting in a way where I can't rest my lower back flat against the back of a chair (on stadium bleachers, bar stools, some office chairs). Sometimes I literally cry over it, and I can feel kind of sick. In order to get through work, I constantly pop Pamprin pills. When I get home I take a hot bath and then put a hot pack on the area when i go to bed.

The rest of the days are manageable. The pain comes and goes, but it's not as bad as the second and third days.

I'm not a woman who has a lot of emotional flux during this time. If anything, I'm just irritable depending on the amount of pain I'm in, but I try to keep it in check obviously.

I don't ever really need to worry about leakage either because I use a Diva Cup instead of pads or tampons, which makes my period WAY EASIER than it used to be

Basically if I can get through the second and third days without sawing my uterus out of my body, I endure pretty well. XD

• Brohoof 4

Very interesting topic.  You know, I'm often kind of annoyed by the stereotype that men want absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with their wife/girlfriend's period.  The media is basically all I have to go on here, but the stereotype always seems to be that if the woman brings the subject of menstruation up, the guy basically sticks his fingers in his ears, hums loudly to drown her out, and immediately flees the house and goes to hang out with his male friends until the storm blows over.  It's like they want to pretend it doesn't exist.  Out of sight, out of mind.  Don't want to know.  Basically, picture Hank Hill's reaction to anything in the feminine dept.  Maybe this is just what they do in sitcoms.  Maybe real life isn't like that, I don't know.  But I dislike that stereotype.  I've never had a relationship, but iffen I do, I plan to let my mate know that I want in on the ground floor.  I want to be aware of what's going on and included so that I can understand her better, be supportive, and so we can have a more open, honest relationship.  Plus, I would want to know everything about her, and not simply pretend that this aspect doesn't exist because it may be unpleasant.  But like I said, maybe that stereotype is only on TV.  I have no real world experience.

One other quick thing.  In a purely good natured way, I'd like to poke fun at for suggesting that guys post in blue and gals post in pink.  Shouldn't the brony/pegasister community, of all people, be able to eschew the age old color stereotypes?  Why not turn it around and have guys post in pink?  Fight the power!  I know, it makes it confusing because we're all so used to it.  I just like to challenge stuff like this.  No offense intended.  All in good fun.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

@@Justin_Case001,

Pink=Blood=Uterus Lining

One of my classmates took an hour off for her period. However, I'm not sure if this is a good case since she is an utter drama queen who flips out if you say the word "bitch" or "slut"(not in reference to anyone alive) and she spent most of her time, even without periods, sleeping through classes 

Edited by Evil Dragon Master

(edited)

Heh, I actually have no problem talking about this, so ask away if you have more specific questions.

A couple days before it starts I'll have an increase in pimples (which I hate as I feel I'm waaayyy too old for acne) and can sometimes be irritable.  The second day of menses is usually the worst, 9 times out of 10 I'll have a migraine, and every few months I'll get cramps that for me feel a bit like being stabbed in the lower abdomen.  For me it usually lasts around 5 days.  Overall, an unpleasant process.

Really graphic thing here:

I mention this because I've had this discussion with men-folk before. Menstrual blood isn't like regular blood. It's not like the watery fluid that comes out of a cut. It's much thicker than that.

Edited by chocolate cake
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

If it makes you uncomfortable, just don't respond. This isn't offensive in the slightest. 

I mostly just get cramps and headaches. 

It also has a bad habit of striking while on vacation.  :okiedokielokie:

Edited by wolfheartmoon
  • Brohoof 2

Very interesting topic.  You know, I'm often kind of annoyed by the stereotype that men want absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with their wife/girlfriend's period.  The media is basically all I have to go on here, but the stereotype always seems to be that if the woman brings the subject of menstruation up, the guy basically sticks his fingers in his ears, hums loudly to drown her out, and immediately flees the house and goes to hang out with his male friends until the storm blows over.  It's like they want to pretend it doesn't exist.  Out of sight, out of mind.  Don't want to know.  Basically, picture Hank Hill's reaction to anything in the feminine dept.  Maybe this is just what they do in sitcoms.  Maybe real life isn't like that, I don't know.  But I dislike that stereotype.  I've never had a relationship, but iffen I do, I plan to let my mate know that I want in on the ground floor.  I want to be aware of what's going on and included so that I can understand her better, be supportive, and so we can have a more open, honest relationship.  Plus, I would want to know everything about her, and not simply pretend that this aspect doesn't exist because it may be unpleasant.  But like I said, maybe that stereotype is only on TV.  I have no real world experience.

One other quick thing.  In a purely good natured way, I'd like to poke fun at for suggesting that guys post in blue and gals post in pink.  Shouldn't the brony/pegasister community, of all people, be able to eschew the age old color stereotypes?  Why not turn it around and have guys post in pink?  Fight the power!  I know, it makes it confusing because we're all so used to it.  I just like to challenge stuff like this.  No offense intended.  All in good fun.

A brohoof solute to you pony. Your response says what I've said earlier and that IS where guys education DOES come from. It's true not all of us may feel this way but it stands as testament that IS what the world kinda wants guys to think or believe. Sometimes what we see on tv about subjects is like a moving meme picture that reflects societal reality whether we believe it or not.

if rainbow were in fact a color choice I would have chose that. But, this IS a public forum and therefore, who's to say that this would never be read by the outside world that has little problem understanding the color scheme. I did it thinking and not knowing how big the thread would be. But naturally I would think if one wanted skim through the thread and be able to read specific responses it's now easier to do. It's not about fighting any power, but acceptence of a current norm we can all can at least tolerate regardless of belief. No offense taken at all. : )  I thank everyone for their contributions so far.

So I DO have something...

I don't have a wife or kids so this little bit is second hand but it makes sense.  I remember reading this story long before Twilight Circuits came into being but it was a woman telling the readers about how every woman has a section in their drawer silently labeled "period underwear" According to what she wrote. She said that when a girl is on her period, either she chooses from the secret section of the drawer or chances are good that another "victim" get's to be put in the spot in drawer for possible use next time round. Any ladies care to confirm or deny that or simply comment?

I don't have a wife or kids so this little bit is second hand but it makes sense.  I remember reading this story long before Twilight Circuits came into being but it was a woman telling the readers about how every woman has a section in their drawer silently labeled "period underwear" According to what she wrote. She said that when a girl is on her period, either she chooses from the secret section of the drawer or chances are good that another "victim" get's to be put in the spot in drawer for possible use next time round. Any ladies care to confirm or deny that or simply comment?

Sort of, yeah.  :lol: The idea is that you want to keep the amount of stained underwear to a minimum.

• Brohoof 2

Alright, first your cramped as hell and it feels like someone beat you up all round your stomach and... other places. Then the actual stuff begins and you get kinda you know bloody. Those are the first few days, right in the middle is the heaviest and when its pretty bad. The last few days is when you get all cramped and achy, like the first few days, but more on your back then anywhere else. Then it kinda, stops.

Alright that's all I'm kinda saying and I'm sorry I'm kinda beating around the bush because this is really awkward. Hope it helps.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Well they bled from a private area, experience rapid mood shifts, are generally more agressive, and have cramps due to certain deficiencies caused from the nenstruel bleeding.

I'm not really that mood-swingy. Again, I've got a shorter temper, but I'm as rational as I usually am. 

Additionally, menstrual bleeding is not actually a lot of blood in volume. In fact, cramps are caused by the uterus contracting to release blood and releasing chemicals to help speed along that process. Basically, your body is forcibly yanking blood off of an internal organ. Hence the pain. 

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Confession time, in the last thread it took every ounce of restraint for me to not start belting out some rather colorful jokes hearing some of the more extreme experiences killed that temptation. Stellaferra made a very good point in this status update I made on this subject last night and it is that although only women get periods pain is still pain, as a guy I will never know what it is like to have a period but as someone with serious knee problems I do know what it is like to have excruciating pain. I have had knee problems since I got this work related knee injury back in 2008 which was followed by 3 more work related knee injuries and 1 semi work related knee injury. I have Patellar Tendenitis (Tendenitis of the Patellar Tendon under the knee cap) which is kind of like Arthritis in that depnding on the severity of the case can come and go at pretty much anytime.

I'd say that, women go through a menopause stage then go through other stages depending on their age. They mostly have a shift in how they act or feel, some other symptoms as well.

Menopause is when women's bodies get ready to stop having babies (it usually happens sometimes in a womans 40's or 50's), the best way it can be described is like a reverse puberty. I first found out about this particular process when my Mom started going through it.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 2

Menopause is when women's bodies get ready to stop having babies (it usually happens sometimes in a womans 40's or 50's), the best way it can be described is like a reverse puberty. I first found out about this particular process when my Mom started going through it.

My mistake. I was attempting to do research on a women's period, to get a better understanding of it. But, thanks for telling me.