Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fluttershy's parents

Marciblook

Well, the show talked about Twilight's parents, Applejack's parents, Rarity's and Pinkie Pie's parents. I don't think we heard about Rainbow's parents or Fluttershy's parents.

But, as always, it does not mean that they don't have any. They will bring the parents in when and if they feel it is necessary to do so.

• Brohoof 3

I for one am very curious about Flutter's parents. It seems to me like she left them and Cloudsdale at quite a young age, much like how Pinkie left the rock farm when she was (presumably) still relatively young. 

They actually have some interesting parallels in their backstories, when you think about it... but that's a thread for another day I suppose ;)

• Brohoof 3

Well, the show talked about Twilight's parents, Applejack's parents, Rarity's and Pinkie Pie's parents. I don't think we heard about Rainbow's parents or Fluttershy's parents.

But, as always, it does not mean that they don't have any. They will bring the parents in when and if they feel it is necessary to do so.

Well, yeah, but I've at least heard of rainbows parents

I for one am very curious about Flutter's parents. It seems to me like she left them and Cloudsdale at quite a young age, much like how Pinkie left the rock farm when she was (presumably) still relatively young. 

They actually have some interesting parallels in their backstories, when you think about it... but that's a thread for another day I suppose ;)

Heh, yeah, and I feel like with fluttershy, I feel like (if she does have parents) they're very irresponsible, leaving her, basically all alone, at flight camp, knowing full well she can't fly well, but then again, it did lead to her cutie mark...but still, if it's true what she said in her song, and the fact she can't fly well on her own, she probably would have been left on the ground, unless her parents had found her and got a chariot for her.
  • Brohoof 2

Heh, yeah, and I feel like with fluttershy, I feel like (if she does have parents) they're very irresponsible, leaving her, basically all alone, at flight camp, knowing full well she can't fly well, but then again, it did lead to her cutie mark...but still, if it's true what she said in her song, and the fact she can't fly well on her own, she probably would have been left on the ground, unless her parents had found her and got a chariot for her.

My thoughts exactly. We've had very few glimpses of her childhood, but in what we saw she was all alone, when you would think an adult would be looking out for her. I mean she could have died for Celestia's sake!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

My thoughts exactly. We've had very few glimpses of her childhood, but in what we saw she was all alone, when you would think an adult would be looking out for her. I mean she could have died for Celestia's sake!

Exactly, she's lucky those butterfly's came along

Edited by Tone shift

(edited)

I don't think we heard about Rainbow's parents or Fluttershy's parents.

I think it would cool if we found out Rainbow was actually from another planet à la Superman and Krypton, and that's why she's so fast and the only one who can sonic rainboom.

*Edit* @@boiteporte: it was kind of a joke, but whatev.

Edited by Justin_Case001
  • Brohoof 1

I think it would cool if we found out Rainbow was actually from another planet à la Superman and Krypton, and that's why she's so fast and the only one who can sonic rainboom.

No, I don't think it would be...

I personally want to know more about Scootaloo's parents but ya... :derp:

I guess it would be nice to see what Fluttersy's parents are like. I just hope they aren't super assertive and Fluttershy is the exact opposite of them lol

Is it just me, or is she the only one without parents? (In the show at least, for I have not read many of the comics)

I wonder why that is...

Fluttershy is very likely to have parents. Very little has been said about her parents in the show and even in the comics. If her parents are to show up in the series, it would be in the comics. Not in the show.

Well, Fluttershy and RD are from Cloudsdale. And honestly, how often are they in Cloudsdale? I just don't think they're relevant right now is all. If we do get another Cloudsdale based episode in the future, it's a possibility we'll see them.

(edited)

Absentee parents are a constant on the show, really because there's no room to bring parents in on the events, and it just so happens that Fluttershy and Scootaloo have both gone the longest time without any mention of possible parents (and Rainbow Dash until "Games Ponies Play", but even that was in flashback). That opens a box of headcanons on Pegasus culture valuing self-sufficiency.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 2

My theory on the matter is that Fluttershy's parents are Earth Ponies (Unicorn possible, but Earth Pony makes much more sense). We know that it is possible for Earth Pony parents to give birth to Pegasi (the Cakes), Making this a reasonable possibility. If her parents are Earth Ponies, then perhaps they sent her to Cloudsdale so that she could learn to fly and be with other Pegasi, and Fluttershy lived either with a relative or adoptive family. Being raised as such, compounded by being picked on, made her quite shy and destroyed her confidence, hence her inability as a filly to fly well.

There are one or two other threads on Pony genetics, and it has been suggested that having parents of another race may leave the offspring with some traits of that race. If this is true, Earth Pony parents (or weak Pegasi blood in general) may explain Fluttershy's affinity for critters and poor flying ability (tying into the idea of Pegasi magic and Scootaloo being unable to fly) .

• Brohoof 1

Twilight's parents were obviously shown.

Pinkie Pie's parents were shown.

Rarity's parents were shown.

Rainbow Dash's parents were briefly shown in her flashback during the first episode mentioning The Equestria Games.

None of Fluttershy's family has been shown.

Applejack's grandmother (Granny Smith) has been shown as well as her huge family of earth ponies, but not a single reference has been made about her mother and father. Curious, most curious.

She and Dashie are also the only two of the mane6 without any siblings   :huh:

Oh yeah...I never noticed that...I wonder if that has much to do with the topic at hand........naaaah

(edited)

There is no official things yes. I've browsed through some pony stuff and this interpretation of Fluttershy's mother is just...beautiful. (best interpretation I saw so far, it's my background too :3)

fluttershy_with_her_mother_by_explosiveg

Only problem I had was her cutie mark.

I felt really guilty for killing her off in my fanfiction, but it had to be done...

Edited by Solid Scorpion

My theory on the matter is that Fluttershy's parents are Earth Ponies (Unicorn possible, but Earth Pony makes much more sense). We know that it is possible for Earth Pony parents to give birth to Pegasi (the Cakes), Making this a reasonable possibility. If her parents are Earth Ponies, then perhaps they sent her to Cloudsdale so that she could learn to fly and be with other Pegasi, and Fluttershy lived either with a relative or adoptive family. Being raised as such, compounded by being picked on, made her quite shy and destroyed her confidence, hence her inability as a filly to fly well.

There are one or two other threads on Pony genetics, and it has been suggested that having parents of another race may leave the offspring with some traits of that race. If this is true, Earth Pony parents (or weak Pegasi blood in general) may explain Fluttershy's affinity for critters and poor flying ability (tying into the idea of Pegasi magic and Scootaloo being unable to fly) .

Interesting.  What if the reason she and RD are so close is because RD's family was her host family in Cloudsdale...

• Brohoof 1

What if the reason she and RD are so close is because RD's family was her host family in Cloudsdale...
Excellent point; I never thought of it like that, and it certainly does explain her acting as a sort of protector for Flutters in their youth. Perhaps RD's parents were close friends with Fluttershy's, so in absence of relatives in Cloudsdale, she was sent to live with them. If they were actually related by blood, it likely would have been mentioned in the show, so what you're suggesting seems quite possible.
  • Brohoof 2

I have not read the comics, but you're right. The mane six pegasi need more backstories- actually, we maybe did see RD's dad, but it wasn't really confirmed. So I guess Flutters is the least explored backstory character. 

ah. my mistake.I heard it was her father somewhere

Yeah, pretty weird that the OTHER rainbow maned pony ever seen in the show is NOT related to Dashie. He trained her according to said official word