Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

For the Apples my best guess is that the parents are not typical Apples. My theory is they're in some large city, maybe Fillydelphia heading the whole Apple Industry from afar. They can't be dead since they were not home while Applejack was a filly and Applebloom was born after that. Along witht hat they have intermarried with the Orange family.

Rainbow Dash my guess is she is a 2nd youngest child to a military family of Pegasi with practically all boys. Probably three boys maybe four and herself. She is the only rainbow maned of the family hence her name. After being sent to school she decided not to return to where ever her family was and stay in Cloudsdale, home of one of her first true friends (Fluttershy) This could explain her love for military comparisons and her sheer loyalty to her home.

Fluttershy is likely the only daughter to two doctors in Cloudsdale. One of the parents, most likely the wife, is likely very shy and like Fluttershy has a meanstrak and some hidden courage. This may have bee the reasoning for he two falling in love. Along with that her friendship with RD may have been introduced at the hospital from one of RDs many failed stunts. This could also explain why you never she her parents and she appears to have plenty of money. Due to her parent's busy schedule they send her money to make up for the little family time. Along with that this ould give reasoning why Fluttershy has a advanced sense of medical practices.

Pinkie Pie we saw

Rarity's parents were likely buisness ponies but struck it rich during some sort of job. Leading to an early retirement along withmany vacations. They also likely live in Ponyville because Sweetie Belle plays with the CMC even when she isn't under Rarity's watch.

Twilight I would guess do not live in Canterlot but are in an equally noble city. They are likely related to or are scientist (magic researchers too) and rarely get out of town with their busy lives. Eitherway they are very proud of Twi and likely send her letters and visit occasionally.

Edited by Thewookie Wooker

For some horrible reason I see Fluttershy as having a cold and distant father who probably wanted her to be something cool and athletic, so he doesn't approve of her quiet lifestyle where she cares for dozens of animals.

It would explain why she has such low self-esteem.

• 8 months later...

I suddenly had this thought out of nowhere, so I'm making an account here to get it off my chest.

Let's look at the family members of the Main 6 + CMC, and see what we find.

Unicorns:

Twilight Sparkle: Twilight has a mother and father, the former named in merchandise (Twilight Velvet), though admittedly neither have a voice or characterization. Twilight also has a brother, Shining Armor, and a sister-in-law, Cadance, who are both full-fledged characters.

Rarity: Rarity has a mother and a father, both with distinct appearances and characterization, although no names. Her sister, Sweetie Belle, is a main character.

Sweetie Belle: She's Rarity's sister, and she obviously has a mother and father as well due to that.

Earth ponies:

Pinkie Pie: She has a mother and a father, both with voices and implied characterizations. She also has two sisters, although neither have spoken. All of Pinkie's family members are nameless, which seems to be a common theme in this show.

Applejack: No parents, but she does have a grandmother, a brother, and a sister, and all of them are major characters in the series. On top of that, there's also Braeburn, Applejack's cousin, along with the rest of the huge-if-vague Apple family.

Apple Bloom: Applejack's sister, so shares the same family (along with the same odd lack of parents).

Pegasi:

Rainbow Dash: None.

Fluttershy: None.

Scootaloo: None.

We have a problem here.

Apparently pegasi don't have families.

Theories welcome, because I have no idea what's going on here. Maybe pegasi are like birds and lay eggs instead of birthing children, and enough pegasi misplaced their eggs often enough that at one point the government decided to collect all the eggs and keep them safe until they hatched. And then some idiot lost the tags that identified which eggs belonged with which parents. So now we have an entire generation of family-less pegasi.

It's possible.

• Brohoof 5

Yeah, I knew I couldn't be the first one to notice this. It could be some sort of cosmic coincidence of course but maybe there is something interesting going on, can't imagine what they would do with it though.

You missed pinkie's grandmother. In one of her songs, she mentions, "Granny Pie". Thought i would throw this out there, but this is interesting how ONLY the pegasai don't have any aforementioned relations. Maybe we will see more of this in season 3?

You missed pinkie's grandmother. In one of her songs, she mentions, "Granny Pie".

Oh yeah, I did forget about Granny Pie. Still, she hasn't been seen in the show, so I guess she doesn't count as much...eh, whatever, not going to bother editing my post.

Oh yeah, I did forget about Granny Pie. Still, she hasn't been seen in the show, so I guess she doesn't count as much...eh, whatever, not going to bother editing my post.

Ha-ha. sorry about that, i just thought i'd throw it out there. Still, I really like the idea about this, hopefully theres a really cool backstory in season 3.

Actually, the pegasi could very well effectively have not one, but two homes to straddle along to pass the time, or whatever. Given the heavy interaction by Ponyville and Cloudsdale, it would be sort of hard to properly show a pegasi's parents at a decently good timeframe. Writing limits aside though, the pegasi might work in a fashion not unlike how birds funciton - once they mature, they can leave their nest to seek a life of their own without too much guidance. Granted, equines are sapient in MLP, so contact won't be completely severed between pegasi parents and their offspring, but I do believe their culture limits that sort of interaction once they hit a certain age. Could vary depending on how well the kid can be raised and such.

• Brohoof 1

The pegasi might work in a fashion not unlike how birds funciton - once they mature, they can leave their nest to seek a life of their own without too much guidance.

How would this apply to Scootaloo though? (I mean, disregarding the theories about her being an orphan.)

Maybe "mature" to pegasi is seven years old or something...

How would this apply to Scootaloo though? (I mean, disregarding the theories about her being an orphan.)

Maybe "mature" to pegasi is seven years old or something...

I guess it wasn't a pressing matter to introduce Scootaloo's parents any time during season one or two. Gotta prioritize yourself by first focusing on the Mane 6, right?

I don't think that Scootaloo lives in Cloudsdale, however. She's crippled (confirmed by Faust herself) and cannot fly for her life, it seems. Perhaps it's a genetic trait :/

She's crippled (confirmed by Faust herself) and cannot fly for her life, it seems. Perhaps it's a genetic trait :/

Not confirmed in the slightest. Scoots being crippled is essentially Lauren's personal interpretation on her character. The writers could do something completely different and Lauren couldn't stop them. *shrug*

With that said, there hasn't really been time to formally introduce Scootaloo's parents, seeing how she hasn't gotten her own episode yet, but there should've been enough time to throw them in the background somewhere during the times they should have been around, like when the CMC went to Canterlot for Hearth's Warming Eve.

To throw another ridiculous theory out there, I argue that Derpy's daughter is Scootaloo, not Dinky. This works in a few ways...first, Scootaloo is embarrassed of her mom, which is why you never see Scoots with her parents around. Scootaloo is embarrassed of her mom because she does embarrassing things, like wave to her daughter in the middle of the Hearth's Warming pageant. It also fixes the whole "Dinky and Sparkler are sisters" issue.

My fanon world is so weird...

• Brohoof 2

Not confirmed in the slightest. Scoots being crippled is essentially Lauren's personal interpretation on her character. The writers could do something completely different and Lauren couldn't stop them. *shrug*

With that said, there hasn't really been time to formally introduce Scootaloo's parents, seeing how she hasn't gotten her own episode yet, but there should've been enough time to throw them in the background somewhere during the times they should have been around, like when the CMC went to Canterlot for Hearth's Warming Eve.

To throw another ridiculous theory out there, I argue that Derpy's daughter is Scootaloo, not Dinky. This works in a few ways...first, Scootaloo is embarrassed of her mom, which is why you never see Scoots with her parents around. Scootaloo is embarrassed of her mom because she does embarrassing things, like wave to her daughter in the middle of the Hearth's Warming pageant. It also fixes the whole "Dinky and Sparkler are sisters" issue.

Ok, I am already going to say no to the idea that Pegasus are born from eggs. Pegasus are born the same way just like earth ponies and unicorns. Look at Mrs. Cake for example, she was able to give birth to Pound Cake who is a pegasus and Cup Cake is an earth pony. So can you explain that one?

As for their parents, I guesses the writers have just not been able to work them into an episode just yet. They could just live in Cloudsdale and have a distances problem.

For Scootaloo, she has yet to have an episode based around her, so their is no need to look at her background that much. Also for the Hearth' Warming Eve part you have there I have an idea about that. For one thing Scootaloo was already in a group of not just her friends, but 6 some what responsible ponies. So they did not even need to come, because she was in a group. Sweetie Bells parents wren't there and the same can be said for Apple Bloom. They just weren't needed. Also even if they were there, we would not be able to tell who her parents were, because of all the other ponies in the background and they might not even get a speaking role, making it even harder to tell who they are.

So thats my thoughts on this.

Edited by pinkiefan1287

I wish in the new season coming up that they mention there families and where they came from. It would be nice to have some of my questions answered after all this time waiting for a answer. But I did wonder the same thing when I first started watching the show too. Hopefully they will start explaining all this stuff in the new season coming up soon. :)

Hmm... honestly, I think this idea could work, even if it's just in fanon... I do still like the Derpy-and-Dinky family theory, though... :huh: *sigh* I'll go along with either one -_-

Edited by Aerial~Shot

OR, and just hear me out here, the writers of the show just haven't thought of any family members for the main pegasi as of just yet. I hardly doubt it is intentional.

I support this perspective. The characters in the show are primarily shown as adults (CMC aside) with their own lives and jobs. Even when family members of the mane 6 have been shown, it's either through flashbacks or short visits. Parents just haven't been that important.

(Of course, that doesn't explain Scootaloo at all.)

When I looked at the topic title, I seriously thought this had something to do with MLP and the connections between either the Illuminati or 9/11. Kind of disappointed as that would have been very out there lol.

Anyways, the original Pegasus in Greek mythology was born in his original horse form, so I would assume that typical, uh, intercourse between Pegasi is how they procreate their species, as FiM's writers seem to do a good job at depicting creature's characteristics from the aspect of mythology.

• 2 weeks later...

Before I add my two cents, how does this community generally feel about bumping up threads more than a year old? I ask because some boards say it's better to add to an existing thread with the same topic. Others frown upon it and sometimes call it necromancy, gravedigging, etc. and would prefer to have a fresh thread started.

Well, we have some more info on the ponies' families since this thread was last active. I was as surprised as anybody to learn that Twilight Sparkle wasn't an only child. In hindsight, they should've said something about Shining Armor, even if it was a single random sentence somewhere. But as mentioned above, the programs only show snippets of the ponies' lives and Twilight never said she didn't have a sibling. I also like how they quickly resolved the issue of where Sweetie Belle lives.

But as an MLP fan who's partial to the pegasi, I've noticed that there has been absolutely no information on the families of RD, Fluttershy, or Scoots. That could change in season 3...I haven't read any previews or spoilers yet and I would prefer to just watch the new episodes as they are broadcast. I'm especially curious about Scoots because as a minor, she must live with some as of yet unknown adult(s).

Still, it begs the question. Did they just not get around to revealing the pegasi relatives yet, or do they purposely have no family to speak of?

• 1 month later...

Later this month Apple Family Reunion will be airing. This somehow got me thinking, would you want an episode about all the Mane 6's parents/other relatives? It would be awesome character development. The show really "doesn't have time for this," but it would be interesting to see who and/or what happened to Rainbow Dash's family, as there has never been mention of them at all. Same with Fluttershy. Were they...orphans? :(

Edited by Party Cannon
  • Brohoof 10

My headcanon is that Applejack and Rainbow's parents are dead, but I wouldn't mind being proven wrong. I'd love to see more relatives of the Mane 6. I think the show has time for this, certainly next season if not this one.

• Brohoof 4

Dash comes off as a pony who was always 'too cool' for her parents. She probably moved out asap to get her own place because her parents were cramping her style as a tomboy teenager, so to speak. They're alive somewhere, maybe in Cloudsdale or off in Los Pegasus, and they're simply not shown because Dash probably doesn't keep in touch with them outside the occasional card.

As for Fluttershy, I have no clue nor real head canon.

In general I'd be up for seeing more pony families from the Mane Six, yes.

• Brohoof 5

It would be hilarious if Rainbow Dash turns out to be a momma girl. She was so embarrassed and afraid that the rest of the Mane Six finds out that she was a girly filly, she acts all though and the like while trying to convince her parents that they have no reason to come to Ponyville. The family reunion would be freaking priceless ZlCHy.png

Fluttershy... I'm not really sure. There is a lot of fanon theory that she had father issues and other traumatic stuffs like that. I can only wish she was merely orphaned from a very tender age instead of bullied by her own parents

• Brohoof 4